2003 330i vert. Installing OEM leds have a ? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 08-26-2019, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto:
I have a 2003 330i vert. I have the opportunity to purchase some Oem M3 vert led taillights. Complete set with 3rd brake light.
One question I have is will I need any additonal items besides the lights up for sale. Of course the flash to the module will have to be done
But anything else ?
Trying to have all my ducks in a row before purchasing them.
Here is where I know I will end up but do I need anything like mentioned above.

The info for the flash is Great!!
See below and ty guys!

YOU DO NOT NEED A NEW LSZ!!! (Light Switching centre) In an E46, it is not called an LCM, it's called an LSZ because the switch is built in to the light control module.

You have a 2003, which means you have an LSZ that can accept a retrofit path for LED tail lights. The reason for the flickering is because you have installed OEM tail lights which have no resisters. Your LSZ is attempting to perform a warm bulb check which involves sending quick voltage spikes through the circuit to verify the bulb(s) are working. The LED's flicker because of this. They are probably pulsating as well. This is because the LSZ is expecting a certain amount of current draw form an incandescent bulb, that it is not receiving from the LED circuit.

So, that being said, you do not need a new LSZ, you need a BMW dealership or independent with a current version of the SSS/Progman station or the ISIS system.

I don't know how the dealerships in England are outfitted. If they have Progman (the technicians should know this), they need to plug it into your car, go to "LOAD SW" then select "NO" when it asks if modules have been replaced on this car. Then they need to proceed to the "RETROFITS" menu and go to page two or page three of the selections. There they will find a selection that says "LED TAILLIGHTS." Once they hit that, Progman will form a Plan to update the options in your V.O. (which stands for Vehicle Order) with the LED Tail light option. Then it will recode your LSZ and the car will immediately function 100% normally with the LED tail lamps.

This should cost about one hour of labor

Last edited by Pontiacmanws642; 08-26-2019 at 04:09 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search