BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
11K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  JACKO1974 
#1 · (Edited)
I have started getting a loud clanging noise on the rear passenger rear end. It sounds like a clanking / knocking / clicking noise from underneath the car (it can be quite loud). It gets quicker as I accelerate but can still be heard when foot off the accelerator pedal. It happens in all gears, slow and fast, get the odd click when almost at standstill. also doesn't matter if i'm on a fllat smooth road or bumpy, it can still be heard. It is intermittent also, so can suddenly go away, then come back a few days later, very mysterious. Its very inconsistant too. it sounds like a clicking noise sometimes and a popping noise at other times... The local garage think it could be the drive shaft but not sure, so I'm reluctant to spend money getting thaat done if it isn't. He had it on the ramp to see if anything was loose but wasn't, I drove it away and the noise went away for a month, but now it's back. It sometimes sounds like a rattle/vibration or something catching underneath?? Any advice would be welcome if anyone has experienced this.
Just to add it is not a whining noise but a clack clack clack, like something catching the underside on every wheel rotation. Not sure either if it has anything to do with my handbrake, as that feels as if it's sticking too but could be totally unrelated, as I'm no mechanic. Thanks.

Update - It does sound a lot like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKLgzCg_o9Y
So could be the CV joint but then wouldn't that be a permanent noise and not go away??

See less See more
#6 ·
rear axle noise?

Hi, I am experiencing a similar noise with my X1, so I am wondering what was your final diagnosis and resolution?
Is the noise consistent with wheel rotation? In other words, as the faster you go, does the noise speed up as if you had a rock stuck in the tire tread?
Is the noise consistent with wheel rotation? In other words, as the faster you go, does the noise speed up as if you had a rock stuck in the tire tread?
Did you have an idea what this was?
im having the same problem, the noise is consistant with rotation, all speeds but kinda goes when i dip the clutch.
changed all brakes/calliper.
Strange thing is jack the car up and it goes away for a while but comes back every time.

#10 ·
I have started getting a loud clanging noise on the rear passenger rear end. It sounds like a clanking / knocking / clicking noise from underneath the car (it can be quite loud). It gets quicker as I accelerate but can still be heard when foot off the accelerator pedal. It happens in all gears, slow and fast, get the odd click when almost at standstill. also doesn't matter if i'm on a fllat smooth road or bumpy, it can still be heard. It is intermittent also, so can suddenly go away, then come back a few days later, very mysterious. Its very inconsistant too. it sounds like a clicking noise sometimes and a popping noise at other times... The local garage think it could be the drive shaft but not sure, so I'm reluctant to spend money getting thaat done if it isn't. He had it on the ramp to see if anything was loose but wasn't, I drove it away and the noise went away for a month, but now it's back. It sometimes sounds like a rattle/vibration or something catching underneath?? Any advice would be welcome if anyone has experienced this.
Just to add it is not a whining noise but a clack clack clack, like something catching the underside on every wheel rotation. Not sure either if it has anything to do with my handbrake, as that feels as if it's sticking too but could be totally unrelated, as I'm no mechanic. Thanks.

Update - It does sound a lot like this
So could be the CV joint but then wouldn't that be a permanent noise and not go away??
Did you ever find out what this was?

#11 ·
We've got this exact issue as well now. Anyone know what the problem is? Intermittent loud clacking from the rear of the car, louder under load ... almost goes away on a trailing throttle. There one day and gone the next. It's driving me up the wall!! 2010 BMW X1 X-Drive

#13 ·
Good news and bad news,

The good news is that the noise is now happening 100% of the time. The bad news is that my mechanic can only have a look at it on the 8th Jan, so without the car for a while longer. I'll be sure to update here what he finds. My money is still on a buggered half shaft!

Are you experiencing a similar issue?

#16 ·
So ....

I've covered over three hundred miles on the X1 thus far ... and still no sign of the noise. Feeling a lot more confident that replacing the half shafts has resolved the issue. Hope this helps someone else who may be struggling diagnosing similar symptoms.

Cheers,
Ripface