Cracked ignition coils. Use or not to use? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-24-2018, 06:30 PM

Mein Auto: '11 BMW E92 335xi
Cracked ignition coils. Use or not to use?

I got some BOSCH ignition coils from a 328xi that intend to put on my N55 335xi. 2006-2012 coils i've heard are interchangeable and I will replace all of my coils with new ones. These coils were used for about 45K and they looked pretty clean. However 2 of 6 coils have these cracks on them and it seems like a no brainer answer to get a new one.

Would these cracks be considered a big hazard? Should I let them go? I haven't tested them yet but I want to know if pitting/cracking like this is a big red flag.

Dealership quoting 1k for a coil and plug replacement for all of them, I've got new sparks on the way and decided to pick up a buddy's coils and I will just do them myself.

Thanks

https://i.imgur.com/XiqFS4P.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XiqFS4P.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	779090  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2018, 06:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
Why not just buy new coils ? You can get them pretty cheap:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/b...tion+coil,7060

Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?
Old 02-24-2018, 06:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeej View Post
I got some BOSCH ignition coils from a 328xi that intend to put on my N55 335xi. 2006-2012 coils i've heard are interchangeable and I will replace all of my coils with new ones. These coils were used for about 45K and they looked pretty clean. However 2 of 6 coils have these cracks on them and it seems like a no brainer answer to get a new one.
Definitely DIY @ $25 per coil & $10 per plug

I was surprised to find that your 2011 N55 DOES have the same Bosch coils specified as my 2007 N52KP:
https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/0221504470

I had a similar chunk of rubber missing on one of my coils when I changed the plugs, and replaced that coil "just to be safe." I had a Bosch coil of the same part# so figured I would just use it -- OK to mix old & new if same part#. Just do NOT use Bosch & Delphi, mix & UNmatch.

THAT coil was NOT causing a misfire code on mine, so maybe not something to be worried about. You might be safe just to wrap that part of the coil/ plug boot where the insulation is missing with electrical tape (if high-temp tape). Just a matter of how much you want to pay for peace-of-mind & not having to redo the job in a year or so.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2018, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: '11 BMW E92 335xi
Thanks for the feedback and replies. Yeah DIY all the way.. pelican parts guides are great.

$10 bucks a coil is good but I was hoping to get away with these free hand me downs. Better safe than sorry.

And yeah I was trying to find out the main difference between these coils. Seems like the N55 ones have this metallic outer part as opposed to these rubber ones. How much of a difference does that make?

Thanks again though!
Old 02-25-2018, 07:14 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeej View Post

Would these cracks be considered a big hazard? Should I let them go? I haven't tested them yet but I want to know if pitting/cracking like this is a big red flag.

Dealership quoting 1k for a coil and plug replacement for all of them, I've got new sparks on the way and decided to pick up a buddy's coils and I will just do them myself.

Yep.

You're smart to buy virgin coils! It's a BMW so money's no object.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
bosch, coil replacement, delphi, engine, ignition coils, n54, n55, oem, plugs replacement, spark plugs, turbo

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search