Drove Porsche Cayenne Diesel tonight. Meh... - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners & Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners & Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 03-08-2018, 11:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
Drove Porsche Cayenne Diesel tonight. Meh...

A local BMW dealership I patronize has an adjoining Porsche showroom. When I was there for airbag replacement on one of the BMW's, I noticed they had several Cayenne diesel units on the lot and in the showroom. I talked to the GM, he said they were not allowed to sell them at the time due to VW diesel debacle, but if I was interested he would contact me once the stop sale was lifted. He contacted me recently, followed up a week or two ago saying they had two left, one of which had a seemingly good build. I went there tonight to drive it and decided it was no go early on in test drive.

It was not all bad. The handling is better than the X5, the interior is more cocoon like, some finishes are nicer, the on center feel is tighter, the engine is much much quieter, but... While the car seemed well equipped, it was missing some things I like on the X5 (front proximity sensors, heated rear seats, leather dash, Sirius radio), but mostly the engine is not as responsive and I can't imagine making a tight lane change without a ton of pre-planning and pissing off whoever just got cut off. The interior layout was cool yet confusing because it seems there is a button for everything. Maybe I've been around BMW too long...

Price wise they are taking about $20k off sticker up front. That brought price down to dealer used cars I saw on autotrader.com, not horrendous for a no mile car. I would have wanted more money off before signing, but did not even broach the topic because no love.

So this was a no deal. I'm glad I went and drove it because if the X5 starts giving me trouble there will be no regretting passing up a Cayenne with full warranty. I also drove a 540i; that was my second test drive of a new 540i. I like it. A lot. The dealer will call me to test drive a 540d when they get one in.

I expected the Cayenne to be really tempting and I was ready to start dealing if I liked it and could get some more money off. It was not even a close race. I drove home with renewed commitment to my aging but holding up well 80k mile X5.
2013 Cooper S
2007 650i - 6 speed
2002 330ci convertible - 5 speed

Past:
2012 X5 Diesel
2012 Countryman S All4 - 6 speed
2006 Cooper S - 6 speed
2006 330i - 6 speed
1997 328is - 5 speed
1991 318is - 5 speed
1988 635csi - 5 speed
1988 325i convertible - 5 speed
1969 2002 with tii and 5 speed conversions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2018, 02:47 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
I have considered the Cayenne interior too similar to the VW Tuareg. A neighbor has the VW and I drove it while I still had my old Jetta and I believe that it had more useable interior volume. I hope to keep my X5 until they take away my DL.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 550i M-Sport~2015 X1
I love the cars but I can't get past the odd styling (IMHO).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2018, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d
"Lots of buttons" is a Porsche thing - never had one myself but would be willing to try it out someday! I have a VW with a touchscreen and I hate it, my hands are not that steady and I always seem to hit a bump as I'm about to touch the screen.

Actually BMW did a great thing with the idrive joystick thingy - I find it very intuitive now after having a few BMW's in the family.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: 14 535d Xdrive, 12 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by jck66 View Post
"Lots of buttons" is a Porsche thing - never had one myself but would be willing to try it out someday! I have a VW with a touchscreen and I hate it, my hands are not that steady and I always seem to hit a bump as I'm about to touch the screen.

Actually BMW did a great thing with the idrive joystick thingy - I find it very intuitive now after having a few BMW's in the family.
The thing about a touch screen in a car is that you have to take your attention fully away from driving to touch the virtual buttons on the screen. It's a very dangerous distraction, IMHO. I like BMW's iDrive setup way better. iDrive is very iPod-like with how you operate it. I can operate it by feel and requires nothing more than an occasional quick glance at the screen without taking my attention off the road.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Why DIESEL is better: (from wxmanCCM)
PM - https://sites.google.com/view/lmarzccm/home
Air Toxics - https://sites.google.com/view/loren-marz-ccm/home
Ozone Precursors - https://sites.google.com/view/lorenmarz-ccm/home
General - https://sites.google.com/view/emissions-general/home
Old 03-09-2018, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: 14 535d Xdrive, 12 X5 35d
After dealing with a timing belt failure in 2009 in my 2005 Jetta Wagen TDI (BEW PD engine), I am gun shy toward owning anything with a belt instead of a chain or gear drive for the camshaft. I'll stick BMW Advanced Diesel instead of a TDI.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Why DIESEL is better: (from wxmanCCM)
PM - https://sites.google.com/view/lmarzccm/home
Air Toxics - https://sites.google.com/view/loren-marz-ccm/home
Ozone Precursors - https://sites.google.com/view/lorenmarz-ccm/home
General - https://sites.google.com/view/emissions-general/home
Old 03-09-2018, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: Diesel
My preference is to inline 6s, and hands down I prefer to work on BMWs over other European brands.

The only seat I felt I could like long term near as much as bmw comfort seat is the x166 GL seats with massage. I'm not intending to grow the brood, so seems like an unlikely step. I'll replace with an end of run e70d or look to f15d.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: 335D
Throttle response on factory diesels arenít quick. You can fix that with a tune or a piggy back like Sprint Booster or JBD.

---------------------
2015 VW Passat TDI
2011 BMW 335D
Old 03-11-2018, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: 328i xDrive 6MT
VW never had very good V6 diesels. Previous V6 2.5 TDI (we didnít get that in the US) was hands down disaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners & Enthusiasts
Today's Posts Search