2009 x5 3.0i e70 gear shifter noise - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:17 PM
SweetCajunFire

Mein Auto: 2009 x5 3.0i
2009 x5 3.0i e70 gear shifter noise

Hey guys, not sure what's going on, but my x5 seems to make some mechanical noise every so often. So far, doesn't seem to be making any changes to the performance of the vehicle, but I can't help and think that will eventually change. It's happening when I switch the car from drive to park. It makes an ongoing sound of gear switching for a few seconds. Like I said, it's not every time.. But a lot of the time. I have a video but will attach the link in a minute. Any ideas what it could be? I would appreciate any and all help.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil. 4:13

Last edited by e46RedHead; 08-31-2016 at 04:21 PM. Reason: added video link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2016, 05:11 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Thats a first....

does it do anything off if you have it in MS mode and press park?

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM

Last edited by ard; 08-31-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:19 PM
SweetCajunFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Thats a first....

does it do anything off if you have it in MS mode and press park?
Hey Ard! Thanks for the quick reply!
Not sure about it doing something in M/S. I'll be in the car in 10 minutes. I'll let you know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2016, 05:24 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
It should move to DRIVE and then PARK on selecting PARK or engine OFF from M/S

Page 13

Automatic Downshift from "M/S"
The automatic downshift function returns the selector lever from the "M/S" gate to the automatic gate.
This occurs, for example, when the EGS signals gearbox position "P" as is the case when the engine is shut down or the "P" button is pressed.
The selector lever remains locked in the "M/S" gate only if "S" or "M" mode is actually active while driving in forward direction or the automatic downshift is defective or receives no power supply.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...HYwSFlOZ1VWSWM
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 08-31-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:46 PM
SweetCajunFire

This is what I get.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:59 PM
SweetCajunFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
It should move to DRIVE and then PARK on selecting PARK or engine OFF from M/S

Page 13

Automatic Downshift from "M/S"
The automatic downshift function returns the selector lever from the "M/S" gate to the automatic gate.
This occurs, for example, when the EGS signals gearbox position "P" as is the case when the engine is shut down or the "P" button is pressed.
The selector lever remains locked in the "M/S" gate only if "S" or "M" mode is actually active while driving in forward direction or the automatic downshift is defective or receives no power supply.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...HYwSFlOZ1VWSWM
It downshifted automatically when in manual. Does that mean it isn't defective?
Old 08-31-2016, 07:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F15 X5 aka Jasmine II
From what I can tell it sounds like a connector issue. Maybe a wire inside the actual shifter itself is loose and as a result doesn't sent the signal to the shifter fully and is confusing the shifter into what drive mode it's is. I know that if you press P one time you get that noise a single time indicating that it's in P, but maybe because of something loose or faulty it could keep indicating that it's in P and repeating the sound over and over. Like Ard said haven't ever heard of this issue before either. Does the car itself behave normally? Like go into drive and reverse without issue?

Jasmine II - F15 X5 35i | Mineralweiss Metallic with Black Dakota

E70 X5 35i | Space Grey Metallic with Black | Dad's Car
Old 08-31-2016, 08:50 PM
SweetCajunFire

Thanks guys! So while I have your attention and help, may I ask another question? I am hearing a knock in the front right of my car. It's obviously suspension as the noise happens with I go over bumps or dips in the road. I have adaptive drive or whatever it's called and sport. I had my mechanic put it on the lift but didn't take the wheel off in order to fully test some parts. We did however notice a few broken boots and was curious if this may or may not be the cause. In the picture below, notice the control arm(s)? And you'll see the busted boot.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:47 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
broken boot will not cause a noise. (It would be the part inside the boot having failed)

Id look at sway bar ends first, then sway bar. you need to put force on parts and see what has play, this might tell you whats clunking

Just realized you have a 2009...are the thrust arm bushings OE? These are wear parts. Consider replacing these as simple maintenance, (and restore some of the car's lost taughtness)

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM

Last edited by ard; 08-31-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:13 PM

Mein Auto: F15 X5 aka Jasmine II
2009 x5 3.0i e70 gear shifter noise

Quote:
broken boot will not cause a noise. (It would be the part inside the boot having failed)

Id look at sway bar ends first, then sway bar. you need to put force on parts and see what has play, this might tell you whats clunking

Just realized you have a 2009...are the thrust arm bushings OE? These are wear parts. Consider replacing these as simple maintenance, (and restore some of the car's lost taughtness)

+1 with what Ard said, if the thrust arms are the originals (which they appear to be from looking at that photo) it's recommended you change them. They're fairly inexpensive to replace DIY, I'll post a link that another member of the forum posted with a detailed DIY to make tackling it easier if you choose to do it yourself.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=798330

Or you could have your Indy do it whatever is more convenient for you. Hopefully the issue gets resolved, keep us updated if you get any word as to what the mechanical noise is.

Edit: Keep in mind that this DIY link is for a 2011 X5, not entirely sure if the 2009 is different but it shouldn't be too different if not the same exact thing.

Jasmine II - F15 X5 35i | Mineralweiss Metallic with Black Dakota

E70 X5 35i | Space Grey Metallic with Black | Dad's Car

Last edited by G Nagra; 08-31-2016 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:19 PM

Mein Auto: X5 e70
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46RedHead View Post
Hey guys, not sure what's going on, but my x5 seems to make some mechanical noise every so often. So far, doesn't seem to be making any changes to the performance of the vehicle, but I can't help and think that will eventually change. It's happening when I switch the car from drive to park. It makes an ongoing sound of gear switching for a few seconds. Like I said, it's not every time.. But a lot of the time. I have a video but will attach the link in a minute. Any ideas what it could be? I would appreciate any and all help.

Hi there. Going back to your first video, I am getting exactly the same issue with the gear lever stick noise. Any ideas from anyone on what coukd be causing this please?
Old 08-31-2016, 11:23 PM

Mein Auto: X5 e70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhartv View Post
Hi there. Going back to your first video, I am getting exactly the same issue with the gear lever stick noise. Any ideas from anyone on what could be causing this please?
I should add that the noise has occurred on the gear lever whilst putting the car into reverse. I took the car to an indy who says that so far no error message has popped up on the diagnostics? But the noise is there and it's random. Any clues? Tx
Old 09-01-2016, 07:02 AM
SweetCajunFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhartv View Post
I should add that the noise has occurred on the gear lever whilst putting the car into reverse. I took the car to an indy who says that so far no error message has popped up on the diagnostics? But the noise is there and it's random. Any clues? Tx
Mine has too done it when I put the car in reverse. Not as often as it does when I put it in park, but I have heard it. and as of now, no solution. Hopefully it won't break and leave me stranded.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:07 AM
SweetCajunFire

Quote:

ok awesome.

Last edited by e46RedHead; 09-01-2016 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Realized you posted link above.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:53 AM
SweetCajunFire

UPDATE** So as of recent... this is now the noise my shifter makes

This past Sunday (7/29/18) a friend moved my car while I ran inside somewhere and when I came out she thought she was being funny by yanking, pushing and hitting my shifter while claiming to not know how to "work this thing or put it in park"... so this is now what my shifter does in comparison to the video originally posted in 2016... Any thoughts? Other than replacing the assembly. I am not oppose to replacing the assembly but more curious what the cause could be. I do have adaptive drive if there are any thoughts on the relation.

Anything helps! Thank you
Old 08-02-2018, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: '06 530xi 6sp
Just a thought based on a problem my wife's X5 had with the shifter...the symptoms weren't exactly the same, but...

Couple years ago, sitting in the car, I noticed a periodic clicking sound. Tracked the sound to the console and then to the shifter area. Looked at it in more depth the next day. As it turns out, the reverse interlock button on the side of the shifter was cockeyed. It looked pushed in on the top or bottom and looked normal on the other side. If I gently pried out the reverse interlock button, the clicking nosies went away. Pushed the reverse interlock button a few more times and it again got jammed in on the same side as before. Looked at the price of a replacement gearshift. Decided I'd take the shifter apart before I paid for a new one. Didn't take the sifter out of the car. I gently pried off the chrome plated plastic piece that covers most of the shifter - this piece is fragile. As I recall, the reverse interlock button is a small sub-assembly that comes off with a couple small screws or maybe there are tabs or something removable. The reverse interlock button has some tiny hinge pins molded into the plastic of the button itself. One side of the hinge pins was broken. That allowed the jamming of the reverse interlock button, which permanently depressed the reverse interlock microswitch. With the reverse interlock microswitch activated, the gearshift mechanism was activating a solenoid that would allow you to move the lever to the R position. But, it was permanently depressed, so the clicking was happening frequently.

I got a very small size drill bit. The drill bit was essentially the same diameter as the wire of a small size paper clip. Probably not available at Home Depot, but a hobby store. Using a pin-vise and the small drill bit, I drilled a hole though the remnants of the broken off hinge. Did the same on the good side. Put some holes in the mating piece. Threaded a paper clip though them to create a new hinge pin. Been working now for a couple years.

So, what I'm saying is something could be broken and jammed in the gearshift. Look at it very carefully before you jump to replacement.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: e70 4.8i
Quote:

did you ever find out what this was ?
I have the same exact noise when pressing on P
Old 09-05-2018, 07:48 PM
SweetCajunFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgx5 View Post
did you ever find out what this was ?
I have the same exact noise when pressing on P
Unfortunately I wasn’t able to figure it out. Fortunately it stopped a few days after it started.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately I wasn’t able to figure it out. Fortunately it stopped a few days after it started.
thanks. let's hope so.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i M-Sport
Quote:
I wish every Beemer was self-healing like yours
Old 09-16-2018, 07:28 PM

mine self healed too. so far. (knock on the wood). stopped doing it after a day.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
e70, gearshift, mechanical noise

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search