47C4 & 478E codes and CEL - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-23-2019, 11:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35d
47C4 & 478E codes and CEL

Have been getting an intermittent CEL, after a scan, found 47C4 & 478E codes. Any ideas or where to go next? No noticeable difference while driving, no reduced power.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	file-10.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	858963  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2019, 01:18 PM
bmw addiction

Mein Auto: X5d
Check the EGR pressure converter. It should be holding vacuum if you test with a hand pump

2012 X5d | Deleted & BRR Tuned | DWR TCU Tune | 10.25" Android 8.1 Screen

Build Log
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1290337
Old 07-24-2019, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35d
Do you know where it is located? I was able to find this diagram, but doesn't really explain the location. I thought I read in another post that it was possibly under the intake, but no conformation. I'm sure I'll be able to find it, but if it's somewhere tricky I would prefer to have a new part on had for an easy swap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vacuum Control.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	859087  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2019, 09:30 AM
bmw addiction

Mein Auto: X5d
it sits on the EGR. look it up on realoem

2012 X5d | Deleted & BRR Tuned | DWR TCU Tune | 10.25" Android 8.1 Screen

Build Log
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1290337
Old 07-26-2019, 01:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35d
More likely you'll have the same problem I did... bad vacuum lines. There are 2 lines that run along the engine, one is for the EGR, the other is for the waste gate valve. In my case both were hardened, cracked, and stuck to the engine. Do you have ISTA+? There is a test mode where you can see the % the EGR opens. I used a cheap rubber vacuum line and routed them around the engine.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:44 AM
Auto Enthusiast

Mein Auto: X5, Outback, Defender 90
I'm chasing the same Issue..

I'm assuming the OP got this resolved at this point..
But I believe that the pressure converter is actually under the Intake Manifold, if I understand some other posts correctly..

'13 Black Sapphire Metallic/Sand Beige E70 35d, SP, NAV, Tech, Comfort Access/Seats
20" Style 214's Wrapped in Continental DWS06 Extreme Contacts
Old 02-03-2020, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Best4x4xfar View Post

I'm assuming the OP got this resolved at this point..
But I believe that the pressure converter is actually under the Intake Manifold, if I understand some other posts correctly..
Did you check the vacuum hose? Have you run any of the EGR test modes? I think I've only ever seen 1 person claim a pressure converter solved the problem (but it was a complete activation failure, and the code said as much). Yes, the EGR pressure converter is on the opposite site of the engine, way in the back, tucked under the intake. You don't need to mess with it since there are connections you can hook into. I fixed mine with $10 of rubber vacuum hose and plastic connectors. Rerouted around the engine so it doesn't rub/get hot.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5d
Lp-egr

I had to replace my LP-EGR valve pressure converter, too. There is a test sequence in ISTA+ that opens and closes the pressure converter while you have a vacuum gauge attached to the output (between the LP-EGR actuator and the pressure converter). You have to cut the vacuum line on the top of the engine to attach the vacuum gauge, so you need a hose coupler. I just used a rain bird irrigation system coupler I had. Ha. I guess you could use your finger to check for vacuum. My pressure converter would not do anything so I replaced it. Yes, it's under the intake manifold. Thanks, BMW. I would not try to pull off the hose from the LP-EGR actuator nipple unless you are a pro. I was concerned about breaking off the nipple, which would be a very bad day.

There are also tests that exercise the pressure converter for the HP-EGR cooler bypass valve. That vacuum valve is open/close and is the one Sunny mentioned is mounted to the top of the HP-EGR cooler.

In my case, both the LP-EGR valve and the HP-EGR cooler bypass valve were not operational. When the LP-EGR actuator isn't operational, the LP-EGR valve position feedback sensor will complain, as well as the LP-EGR cooler temp sensors, eventually.

I forget the code numbers. I would start with the HP-EGR cooler because it's easy. The coil return spring on the HP-EGR cooler also breaks. Mine was. It's next to the valve control arm. I just used a hardware store linear spring hooked to the chassis to fix it for now.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 x35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinasu View Post
...I just used a hardware store linear spring hooked to the chassis to fix it for now.
I used a throttle return spring from Autozone. Tie wrapped it to the body for tension adjustment; it doesn't need much tension btw. The other end just hooks over the ball mount for the vacuum cylinder actuator arm. Mine is an interim fix too, but for a different reason. I can't wait to do a full delete and get rid of the 3 troublesome systems: EGR, DPF, SCR a little later this year!

Not to hijack the thread but you did a great job describing common issues and fixes in your other post that I just ran across (2012 X5 Diesel (x5d) New Owner Experience & Tips). I've got the same vehicle, 2 months in. Loving the vehicle and do most of my own wrenching too.

Family garage:
1995 K2500 6.5l TurboDiesel
2003 X5
2006 530i
2008 528i
2012 X35d

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
2012 x5, 35d, e70, m57

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search