Newbie looking for invaluable advice on a newbuild. - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 G05 (2018 - Current)

X5 G05 (2018 - Current)
G05 BMW X5 produced between 2018 to Current. Discuss the G05 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 03-11-2020, 01:55 PM
///M550i

Mein Auto: 2019 M550i
Newbie looking for invaluable advice on a newbuild.

Hey y'all! Newbie over here on the X forums. I spent a lot of time on the G30 forums planning, building, waiting for, and then enjoying my first & current 2019 M550i. I love my car, but due to an unexpected change in office location, I am now driving farther and in more traffic. So I have decided I need to switch up to an SUV. I found the help & advice over there invaluable. So, I now come to you for this round.

Here is my current build that I am almost ready to pull the trigger onÖ

2020 X5 SDrive40i
M Sport
kicking around between these (3) Metallics: Black Sapphire, Mineral White, or Phytonic Blue
20" M Star-spoke bi-color wheels, 740M with all-season run-flat tires
Space-Saver spare (learned my lesson about the run-flats with my M550...)
Black Vernasca Leather
Aluminum Dark Mesh Interior Trim (I don't feel that any of the "browns" really "mesh" with a black interior - and I don't feel like paying for or waiting for the Individual Piano Black Finish
Executive Package
Luxury Seating Package
Driving Assistance Professional Package
Harman Kardon surround sound system
Extended Shadowline Trim
M Sport Brakes

Did I miss something? Am I overdoing something?

Thoughts...
Opinions...
Advice...
And why...
It's all welcome & definitely appreciated, even if I don't agree with you in my final decision...

Thanks in advanceÖ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2020, 10:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
I haven't driven one with the laser headlights yet, but I will seriously be considering them when the time comes for my order. I've heard that you can recode their operation to get the full, outside of the USA dynamic operation out of them, which would be really cool. Depends on where and the timing of your driving. That option isn't inexpensive.

Some that have the night vision option say that it's great at picking up smokeys sitting hidden on the side of the road! Depending again, on your driving and location, that might pay for itself, plus, it could save you from hitting a deer or, potentially somebody. I'm not as likely to opt for that, but depends on your conditions. Came really close to hitting a deer this winter on a back road...would have paid for itself. You have to stop somewhere...not sure where just yet.

If you're going to order a vehicle, and the dealer can't find one to swap with a local dealer, had you considered going to the performance center to pick it up? A neat, no cost while there option. You have to get there and back, but they pay for the hotel and meals plus a factory tour and expert training on one of their vehicles. They'll pick you up at either the airport or train station, take you to the hotel for supper, and pick you up in the morning. Breakfast and lunch are on them, too. Covers two people.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:53 AM
///M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
I haven't driven one with the laser headlights yet, but I will seriously be considering them when the time comes for my order. I've heard that you can recode their operation to get the full, outside of the USA dynamic operation out of them, which would be really cool. Depends on where and the timing of your driving. That option isn't inexpensive.

Some that have the night vision option say that it's great at picking up smokeys sitting hidden on the side of the road! Depending again, on your driving and location, that might pay for itself, plus, it could save you from hitting a deer or, potentially somebody. I'm not as likely to opt for that, but depends on your conditions. Came really close to hitting a deer this winter on a back road...would have paid for itself. You have to stop somewhere...not sure where just yet.

If you're going to order a vehicle, and the dealer can't find one to swap with a local dealer, had you considered going to the performance center to pick it up? A neat, no cost while there option. You have to get there and back, but they pay for the hotel and meals plus a factory tour and expert training on one of their vehicles. They'll pick you up at either the airport or train station, take you to the hotel for supper, and pick you up in the morning. Breakfast and lunch are on them, too. Covers two people.

The LED Laserlights are included in the Exec Pkg, so I'm good there. And happy to have them... I have the Icon Adaptive Full LED on the M550 and love them. I also have (had) them (and a multitude of other things) coded...until I was forced to do a mandatory software recall for the backup camera. I have lost all my custom settings, as well as what I spent to have them done. With that being said, I can definitely attest to the LED lights being much more effective with the "outside of the USA dynamic operation!"

Night Vision is a hefty upgrade, and not so sure I need anything like that in daily So California commutes. The few times it might be useful doesn't justify the $$$.

I must look into the Performance Center Delivery. I had wanted to an ED last time, but couldn't make the timing work. I didn't think about South Carolina at all until you mentioned it. Now I'm also no scaredy-cat, but I don't know that the flights are a necessary gamble with the CV going around these days...

Thanks for your insight.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2020, 07:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2019 X5 40i
Your build looks good and is actually pretty similar feature-wise to what my next one will be after this lease is over. I think you will definitely be fine without night vision in your situation especially with the laser lights. I have them and they really illuminate the road for a long ways.

Odds are they will be cancelling PCD in the fairy near future. They announced already that they are no longer offering plan tours so the entire PCD experience may be next.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:42 PM
///M550i

Thanks guys. X5 ordered yesterday, per the specs above.

Now I'm just hoping Spartanburg stays open long enough to see it sooner rather than later!
Old 03-19-2020, 05:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3; 2010 528;2013 X5
I just received an X5 last week we I ordered in mid-February - but not an M - took about 3 weeks to complete. The build for some reason did not correspond to a production timetable that was elsewhere on this website - built at least a month earlier. In the news GM and other American plants are shutting down - BMW was not yet mentioned. Took the PCD last X5 in 2012 for a 2013 - mostly robots.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2019 X5 40i
Congratulations, hopefully your wait won't be too long. Good luck, enjoy and be safe.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:19 PM
///M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenF12400 View Post
In the news GM and other American plants are shutting down - BMW was not yet mentioned.
Saw that, thanks...

However, in local SC news, "Despite reports to the contrary, BMW confirmed Wednesday it will continue to operate its Spartanburg plant for now amid the coronavirus outbreak."

So I hold my breath, for now...

Old 03-19-2020, 06:20 PM
///M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTurtleBoy View Post
Congratulations, hopefully your wait won't be too long. Good luck, enjoy and be safe.
Thanks!

You as well, sir...
Old 03-21-2020, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar85 View Post
Thanks guys. X5 ordered yesterday, per the specs above.

Now I'm just hoping Spartanburg stays open long enough to see it sooner rather than later!
I got lucky ordered mine on February 26th and picked it up on March 16th. They told me the Tanzanite blue would take longer but didnít! Anyway ordered an X line with the Executive package, 3rd row, HK, Luxury seating, trailer hitch, Heated front rear seats, steering wheel, acoustic glass, and everything else, but the off road package. I havenít driven at night yet so I canít comment on the laser lights. There is so much tech itís overwhelming! I still have my 2011 328 as this is replacing my wifeís 2014 Mazda CX-5 that I will be selling. Waiting for the sun to come out so I can take pictures of the Tanzanite blue sparkling in the sunlight! I only have 60 miles on it so far and the only issue is getting the internet to work with my ipad. All settings are correct and fully registered with At&t, and showing the connection, but canít surf the internet, so the BMW Genius is trying to figure out. I have read past post of others having the same issue. Despite this issue I absolutely love everything, quiet, tight, great vehicle.
Old 03-21-2020, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto:
Spartanburg will be shutting down from April 3 to April 16. https://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...-3/2883470001/
Old 03-25-2020, 01:27 PM
///M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelight View Post
Spartanburg will be shutting down from April 3 to April 16.
Yup, saw this a few days ago, thanks. Now they've moved the dates up sooner.

At first I thought maybe mine might make it through, as it was going back and forth between "Order Received" & "Scheduled for Production" on the tracking site. Possibly the closure date changes are why it kept waffling?

Alas, I realized that I won't see it anytime soon, anyway, as I am sure the Oxnard VPC is shut down here in CA, and my dealer also announced their sales department is closed for the duration, as well they should be...

The saving grace might be when things do reopen, perhaps BMW will be eager to get cars back on the road, and maybe the residuals and/or money factors will be more favorable?

One can only hope, as there is not much else to do these days!

Old 03-25-2020, 02:46 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar85 View Post
Yup, saw this a few days ago, thanks. Now they've moved the dates up sooner.

At first I thought maybe mine might make it through, as it was going back and forth between "Order Received" & "Scheduled for Production" on the tracking site. Possibly the closure date changes are why it kept waffling?

Alas, I realized that I won't see it anytime soon, anyway, as I am sure the Oxnard VPC is shut down here in CA, and my dealer also announced their sales department is closed for the duration, as well they should be...

The saving grace might be when things do reopen, perhaps BMW will be eager to get cars back on the road, and maybe the residuals and/or money factors will be more favorable?

One can only hope, as there is not much else to do these days!
My order just changed to "Entering Assembly Line" so some things are still progressing. I wonder if they have enough parts in stock to get it built before they shut down next week.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:57 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelight View Post
My order just changed to "Entering Assembly Line" so some things are still progressing. I wonder if they have enough parts in stock to get it built before they shut down next week.
Yes. You should be fine.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
This is based on a couple of visits to BMW production plants, one in Munich, and one in SC.

There's a constant flow of truck traffic bringing in materials for production. In Munich, they said that trucks were scheduled in about every five-minutes all through the day. That amounts to about 200-trucks a day at that plant. SC is larger. Because the city grew up around the plant (it was in the country when originally built!), they 'only' run that plant for two shifts, since it is now a residential area. Material arrives within a day or so (often the same day) of when it will be installed on a vehicle. Unlike days of old where you might have seen a string of identical, including color, vehicles on the line at the same time, in a BMW plant, not only will the color often change from one vehicle to the next, it is likely to be a different model. The painting is done primarily by robot unless you have chosen a BMW Individual option. The machine can switch spray heads between cars and is programmed to detect the model and its placement so the spray nozzle hits it at the right points with the right color based on it's actual position and model. The materials are stacked in order of the vehicle's position on the production line. While individual say stamping machines are setup to produce one part, how they get arranged on the line is determined by the build status...multiple machines can 'feed' the production line and a lot of it is done by robots.

In SC, they said that the seats to be installed on the vehicle may only have been shipped from the supplier the day before and arrived just before they needed to be installed in the vehicle. With very few exceptions, there aren't bins of parts just sitting there, waiting to be installed, with probably screws and clips maybe an exception. This requires a lot of coordination between BMW and the vendors, and the vendors now bear a lot of the load for inventory versus the factory.

The whole thing is quite impressive, and I highly recommend you take a tour if you get a chance. They don't allow you to take pictures, so any you see are usually done under special circumstances of items not considered proprietary.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 G05 (2018 - Current)
Today's Posts Search