F10 LCI Gentleman Function retrofit coding - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 F10 520i
F10 LCI Gentleman Function retrofit coding

Hi, can anyone help me on this? I've installed the F01/F02 Right Driver door memory switch for my F10 LCI 520i 2016 intending to retrofit the Gentleman Function. I've tried coding my Driver Seat Module to GENTLEMAN AKTIF, but i still couldn't get it to move the passenger seat. I've attached pictures of the setup. Advise needed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 20.58.05.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	885867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 20.58.16.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	885869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 20.58.28.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	885871  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2020, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: F10 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome_ View Post
Hi, can anyone help me on this? I've installed the F01/F02 Right Driver door memory switch for my F10 LCI 520i 2016 intending to retrofit the Gentleman Function. I've tried coding my Driver Seat Module to GENTLEMAN AKTIF, but i still couldn't get it to move the passenger seat. I've attached pictures of the setup. Advise needed
Looks like you have the right switch panel. Coding should be the only thing needed. Maybe let the car sleep and then try again?

Last edited by addy24; 03-21-2020 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto:
Doesn't look like your passenger seat has memory (don't see memory buttons on your passenger's door card)...if this is true, the Gentleman's function won't work on your car, as its purpose is to select a passenger's seat memory setting, 1 or 2, from the driver's seat memory switch panel.

If your car isn't equipped with passenger seat memory, please do a little research first...it's not a simple plug and play upgrade. if you end up changing out the whole seat, keep in mind that pre-LCI seats and LCI seats are NOT interchangeable. If you plan to upgrade your seat for memory, it is very labor intensive to replace the seat motors and harness for the necessary motor encoder support

In the off chance that your passenger seat already supports memory, and your passenger door harness already has the memory LIN bus connector, ensure your passenger seat connector (big yellow one) is wired to the CAN bus two-wire harness.

Good luck.

Last edited by M_Bimmer; 03-21-2020 at 10:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Bimmer View Post
Doesn't look like your passenger seat has memory (don't see memory buttons on your passenger's door card)....if this is true, the Gentleman's function won't work on your car, as its purpose is to select a passenger's seat memory setting, 1 or 2, from the driver's seat memory switch panel.

If your car isn't equipped with passenger seat memory, please do a little research first...it's not a simple plug and play upgrade. if you end up changing out the whole seat, keep in mind that pre-LCI seats and LCI seats are NOT interchangeable. If you plan to upgrade your seat for memory, it is very labor intensive to replace the seat motors and harness for the necessary motor encoder support

In the off chance that your passenger seat already supports memory, and your passenger door harness already has the memory LIN bus connector, ensure your passenger seat connector (big yellow one) is wired to the CAN bus two-wire harness.

Good luck.
Hmm, didn't know if i'd need memory seats for passengers side. There were a few, although pretty old threads, somehow they got it to work.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i M Sport
Quote:
I think you need to code the passenger seat also. That's what I did.

Mike
2014 535i M Sport, Carbon Black/Black (mine)
2012 535i, Dark Graphite II/Oyster (wife's)
Joshua 24:15; Phil 4:13
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim/
Old 03-22-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Quote:
I think you need to code the passenger seat also. That's what I did.
I tried to. There isn't a tab for passenger seat module. Just driver seat module...
Old 03-22-2020, 08:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i M Sport
Quote:
I tried to. There isn't a tab for passenger seat module. Just driver seat module...
Then you might need the passenger memory seat.

Mike
2014 535i M Sport, Carbon Black/Black (mine)
2012 535i, Dark Graphite II/Oyster (wife's)
Joshua 24:15; Phil 4:13
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim/
Old 03-23-2020, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto:
I can confirm that you do NOT need the passenger seat to have memory buttons. However your passenger seat must have its own ECU. I did this mod and the coding was very easy, assuming both modules are present.

Change this for both driver and passenger seat modules:

Code:
SM_Global>Gentlemen>Aktiv
Have you checked out this DIY?
https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1499940

It's what I used to do mine. Good luck.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvntHrzn View Post
I can confirm that you do NOT need the passenger seat to have memory buttons. However your passenger seat must have its own ECU. I did this mod and the coding was very easy, assuming both modules are present.

Change this for both driver and passenger seat modules:

Code:
SM_Global>Gentlemen>Aktiv
Have you checked out this DIY?
https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1499940

It's what I used to do mine. Good luck.
Problem is, i don't see any tabs for "PASSENGER SEAT MODULE". Only driver's seat module. Do i have to connect some cable or retrofit anything?
Old 03-24-2020, 09:27 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Problem is, i don't see any tabs for "PASSENGER SEAT MODULE". Only driver's seat module. Do i have to connect some cable or retrofit anything?
That I'm not sure. I only have experience with my particular BMW, which is a 2016 F10.
For this feature to work, both modules do need that coding change, and on mine, the modules are also known as CFAS_PLX_1 for Driver seat, and CBFS_PLX_1 for Passenger seat.

I suspect that if you are not seeing anything related to the passenger seat module, that must mean that there are BMW trims like mine that don't have the passenger memory buttons, but still have an ECU for it (maybe for the power functions?)

Stupid question, but your passenger seat does have power or electronic adjustments right?

Maybe someone else on this forum with more knowledge can shed some light as to why your car wouldn't have a passenger ECU if it's powered like mine, but also doesn't necessarily have the passenger memory buttons. If it doesn't have one, then I'm guessing you would have to retrofit one in, if you are really heart-set on that gentleman's switch feature. And I'm going to guess it's probably somewhat involved.

EDIT: When I decoded your vin, I don't see option S459A which is what I have that's described as "Seat Adjuster Electric With Memory". But from your photos I do see the memory buttons on the driver, so that's weird.

Last edited by EvntHrzn; 03-24-2020 at 09:37 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
coding, f10 coding, gentleman, retrofit

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search