335I N54 Clicking/Ticking sound from engine - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-25-2017, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 e92 335i
335I N54 Clicking/Ticking sound from engine

So it all started after a pull 10 months ago. My serpentine belt ripped and went inside the crank seal. We all know the deal when this happens. I got all the pieces out BESIDES the ones stuck in the oil pick up tube (I forgot.) A few months after, I would notice my car would go into limp mode at cold starts. I just literally would have to let it warm up and turn it off/on, then car would work perfect! So back to present time. I was doing a quick highway pull and got a half engine light. Pulled over and did the whole “Engine off/Engine on” thing to get rid of the light; but nothing happened. Still had the light. Then as I drove home, I got a low oil pressure light on. When I would turn on the car, I would get several Vanos codes. So I replaced both Vanos,Camshaft position sensors, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, and did an oil change. The car was still the same. Then I noticed when I would rev the engine, loud ticking was present. It sounded like the valves. Then I did some reading and WHOOPS! I forgot to clean the pick up tube. So I replaced the whole oil pick up tube and now the noice is gone! No lights, no nothing! I was happy until I reved the engine and heard a ticking at around 1.8-3k RPMs. It’s weird because the sound seems to be coming from the valve cover. It sounds mainly on the front of the engine (where the chain goes.) It is not present at idle, I could only hear it the most at around 1.8-3k rpms. It seems to speed up as I rev the engine higher and higher. I’m going to open up the valve cover and see if there’s anything lose in a bit. I need some advise! I checked the filter and do not see any metal pieces inside of the housing. Please all help is appreciated. I just ran out of ideas on what it could be

Btw, sorry for grammar errors!!
Mods:
JB4, downpipes, straight pipe, intakes and e30

CLIPS:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Nt...yhJ_uXjWug1ka0

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HH..._8Hi3vhbWQ5WiI

Last edited by I_jihg; 11-25-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2017, 05:54 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod

What was the mileage when the belt destructed?

Oil leak or tensioner issue?
Old 11-25-2017, 07:11 PM

Mein Auto: Broken BMW
Have you had it cleaned out properly and done a good walnut blasting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY DUE View Post

What was the mileage when the belt destructed?

Oil leak or tensioner issue?
It was at about 95k. The car currently has 130,000 miles. It was a leak issue from the filter housing. I use the car quite a bit. I'm just getting frustrated lol

Last edited by I_jihg; 11-25-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatE90 View Post
Have you had it cleaned out properly and done a good walnut blasting
Yes, I took it to a shop for the gaskets and cleaning. The sub frame was removed to make sure the bottom of the pan was fully accessible. Oil pick up tube was replaced along with gaskets. I'm thinking It could be ticking from a misfire? My scanner wont read. I'm going to download inpa and see

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
acceleration, cam, click, loud, misfire, n54, oil, rod, tick, valves

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search