Preventive battery replacement and surprise good deal at the local dealer - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
Preventive battery replacement and surprise good deal at the local dealer

Not sure if I fell victim to battery hysteria or if I'm growing up and less inclined to roll the dice, but I just replaced the battery on the X5 as a preventive measure. The battery was a tad over 6 years old (July 2012 build) with 88k miles on the car. That is the earliest original BMW battery replacement for cars bought new or near new and kept a long time; the battery on my E46 lasted a record of 11 years, we sold our 2006 MINI Cooper S with its original battery at nearly 10 years old, and the 650i battery was at the 8 year mark before a no start incident prompted battery replacement. The no start came back and turned out to be caused by something else, so I'll never know if that battery had more in it or not.

In the case of the X5, two things happened:
- After almost three days being hooked to the battery tender, it was still indicating less than 80% charge.
- Checking battery voltage with Carly gave a reading of 12.2 volts, which is on the low side.
Given the above and the multiple dead battery posts last year when the weather turned cold, I decided to be proactive and replace the battery rather than wait until the car fails to start.

So I shopped around for a battery knowing that the original was the 105AH version and that I wanted an equivalent battery. Outside of the dealer, the only place I could find that carries a proper 105AH replacement is Batteries + at $299 and possibility of 10% discount. Other places I tried are PepBoys, AutoZone, O'Reilly, Costco, Walmart. Costco does not offer a battery for the X5, the others had 90 or 95AH versions for prices ranging from $150 to $250.
I have a love / hate relationship with the local dealer (quite a bit more hate than love actually), but decided to get a price just for kicks. They quoted me $191.35 for the battery which was a pleasant surprise. With the BMW CCA discount and tax it came to $186.22, I am OK with that price.

So now comes the kicker. I put the battery in yesterday evening then hooked it to the tender: under 80% charge. OK fine, there is a July 2018 manufacture date on the battery so maybe it's not fully charged after sitting for a few weeks. This morning the tender is indicating >80% but still not fully charged. I hooked up Carly to register the battery and it's indicating 12.3 volts, which I find somewhat disappointing and leaves the tree huger in me wondering if I pulled the trigger too fast resulting in a still serviceable battery being recycled.
Oh well, it's done and it's worth the peace of mind. If the new battery lasts as long as the first one did, I shouldn't have to replace it again on this car.

2013 Cooper S
2007 650i - 6 speed
2002 330ci convertible - 5 speed

Past:
2012 X5 Diesel
2012 Countryman S All4 - 6 speed
2006 Cooper S - 6 speed
2006 330i - 6 speed
1997 328is - 5 speed
1991 318is - 5 speed
1988 635csi - 5 speed
1988 325i convertible - 5 speed
1969 2002 with tii and 5 speed conversions

Last edited by FredoinSF; 08-08-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2018, 12:59 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Before the Absorbed Glass Mat Valve Regulated Lead Acid batteries, that are installed in late model BMW, flooded cell batteries were used. A flooded cell battery can last a very long time with care. The field flashing batteries at our local power house were recently replaced after about thirty years use. Depending on just which part is the-battery, submarine batteries may have been in use since WW-II, the design has changed so little and they are rebuilt after about 50 cycles of 1000 AH capacity (they weigh a half-ton per cell).

Percent charge capacity from voltage is not so straight forward as to be instrumented, else submarines, for instance, might use it. The ECU/IBS counts coulombs into and out of the battery for its State of Charge indication. I believe that the BMW training document Battery Basics in Luca Paindelli's Knowledge Base files, stickied at the top of the forum, has the protocol and conversion chart. Battery University on-line instructs also.

Please, which brand/model battery charger do you use that indicate Percent Capacity charged?
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 08-08-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: x5 35d e70 2011
Flooded cells can last a long time but automotive batteries tend to have thinner plates which corrode sooner. The more plates is a trade off to get more cold cranking amps. Some people like to use marine batteries in warmer climates since they don't need the CCA.

The percent charged was taken with the battery alone on connected to the car? If connected the car load, especially the e70 is a lot and will make a good battery look low (12.3v)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post

Please, which brand/model battery charger do you use that indicate Percent Capacity charged?
Hi Doug, It's a Deltran unit rebranded with BMW logo.. There are two indicator lights that provide status while charging. There are three states:
- Charging - battery under 80%
- Charging - Battery at or above 80%
- Charged
Incidentally the tender now indicates the battery is charged. It took between 15 and 20 hours. I have not plugged the Carly adapter to check voltage since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post

The percent charged was taken with the battery alone on connected to the car? If connected the car load, especially the e70 is a lot and will make a good battery look low (12.3v)
Connected to the car, both when charging with the Deltran unit and when reading voltage via Carly. I was hoping for 12.6 volts for two reasons:
1. New battery...
2. Wanted to change some settings that were wiped out during the battery change using Carly. Carly checks for 12.5 volts before it will let you proceed without an ominous sort of warning.

Not something I'm losing sleep over, just sharing where I bought the part, how much it cost, and observations about the state of charge 'out of the box' sort of speak. I am leaving Reno tomorrow for a couple of weeks and the X5 will stay in the garage hooked to the tender during that time.
2013 Cooper S
2007 650i - 6 speed

Past:
2012 X5 Diesel
2006 Cooper S - 6 speed
2006 330i - 6 speed
1997 328is - 5 speed
1991 318is - 5 speed
1988 635csi - 5 speed

Last edited by FredoinSF; 08-08-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 E70 3.0
I recently bought an Ď09 X5 e70 with 95k mikes. Has original battery. No issues with it, however here in Maine the winters are very cold. Combine the low temps with frequent short drives can challenge a battery quickly. Your price experience with your dealer gives me some hope that maybe Iíll be able to acquire a proprietary battery from our dealer @ nearly the same price. I plan to make a preventative purchase around mid November, sooner if the temps drop earlier. Thanks for the post.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 08-08-2018, 07:57 PM

PS: Iíll call the dealer first thing in the morning to confirm pricing etc.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:16 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Cant wait to hear...

Parts guys can negotiate. Most dont. How many BMW dealers up in that neck of the woods??? gonna be a factor.

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 08-08-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemacman View Post
PS: Iíll call the dealer first thing in the morning to confirm pricing etc.

Incidentally, the 90AH battery was $245 at same dealer. Not sure why the higher grade battery was cheaper, but I did not ask questions and jumped. Obviously...

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app
2013 Cooper S
2007 650i - 6 speed

Past:
2012 X5 Diesel
2006 Cooper S - 6 speed
2006 330i - 6 speed
1997 328is - 5 speed
1991 318is - 5 speed
1988 635csi - 5 speed
Old 08-08-2018, 09:33 PM
bmw addiction

Mein Auto: X5d
I paid $190 for the 105ah battery at the BMW dealer in Seattle

2012 X5d | Deleted & BRR Tuned | DWR TCU Tune | 10.25" Android 8.1 Screen

Build Log
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1290337
Old 08-10-2018, 10:26 PM

Shockingly Short answer...BMW BATTERY 90 Ah AGM $269.50 + $18.00 core charge, there's the state sales tax too. Another answer: There is one BMW Dealer in the State of Maine. Fortunately there are several high quality Indy's around.

My 8 y.o. Grandson asked if I knew what the initials 'BMW' meant. Of course I do but waited for him show off his knowledge, he said "Big Waste of Money". Smart kid, holds strong opinions occasionally. I chuckle with his wit. He loves the Red Socks & the New England Patriots so I can overlook his occasional straying from otherwise impeccable judgement.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Cant wait to hear...

Parts guys can negotiate. Most dont. How many BMW dealers up in that neck of the woods??? gonna be a factor.
+1

At my local dealer, after receiving the quote I ask - is there a discount for BMW CCA and they typically knock 10-15% off without skipping a beat (like the price is listed in front of them). In fact, they will generally match or beat tischer or ECS prices on OEM parts.

My challenge, I get the quote but when I pick up the part the reduced prices are not marked and I have to provide them to the cashier.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2018, 09:11 PM

Mein Auto: M6
I also just did a preemptive battery replacement. 2012 X5d with 94k miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
...So I shopped around for a battery knowing that the original was the 105AH version and that I wanted an equivalent battery. Outside of the dealer, the only place I could find that carries a proper 105AH replacement is Batteries + at $299 and possibility of 10% discount. Other places I tried are PepBoys, AutoZone, O'Reilly, Costco, Walmart. Costco does not offer a battery for the X5, the others had 90 or 95AH versions for prices ranging from $150 to $250.
I have a love / hate relationship with the local dealer (quite a bit more hate than love actually), but decided to get a price just for kicks. They quoted me $191.35 for the battery which was a pleasant surprise. With the BMW CCA discount and tax it came to $186.22, I am OK with that price.
105AH H9 battery was in stock at O'Reilly locally (Los Gatos CA) for $190. Advanced Auto Parts would ship it for $150, but I have had issues with poorly packaged batteries. AutoZone did carry this size AGM battery, but not in the last few years. It's unlikely any Bay Area dealer would match the excellent price you received.

Minor note: Did you cap the second (unused) vent hole? I don't know about dealer supplied batteries, but both holes are often open on East Penn AGM batteries (under various brands). The original battery will have a small plug, that can be reused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemacman View Post
...My 8 y.o. Grandson asked if I knew what the initials 'BMW' meant. Of course I do but waited for him show off his knowledge, he said "Big Waste of Money"...
Back when car stereos were easily removed, it was Break My Window -- sadly this now applies to every car in San Francisco
Used as part of a proposal, it means Be My Wife (read about that in the Roundel, long ago)

Last edited by Nonsuch; 08-11-2018 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post

105AH H9 battery was in stock at O'Reilly locally (Los Gatos CA) for $190. Advanced Auto Parts would ship it for $150, but I have had issues with poorly packaged batteries. AutoZone did carry this size AGM battery, but not in the last few years. It's unlikely any Bay Area dealer would match the excellent price you received.
Minor note: Did you cap the second (unused) vent hole? I don't know about dealer supplied batteries, but both holes are often open on East Penn AGM batteries (under various brands). The original battery will have a small plug, that can be reused.
Back when car stereos were easily removed, it was Break My Window -- sadly this now applies to every car in San Francisco
Used as part of a proposal, it means Be My Wife
(read about that in the Roundel, long ago)
Read your response & particularly to the varied meanings of BMW...I LAUGHED out loud, thanks for that, cant wait to share it with my grandson.
In respect to the price quote I recieved: based on the Bimmerfest pricing feedback to date, its clear the Maine BMW dealer sets their pricing (probably) based upon the MSRP.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post

Used as part of a proposal, it means Be My Wife
(read about that in the Roundel, long ago)
Read your response & about the varied meanings of BMW...I LAUGHED out loud, thanks for that, cant wait to share with my grandson.
In respect to the price quote I recieved: based on the Bimmerfest pricing feedback to date, its clear the Maine BMW dealer sets their pricing (probably) based upon the MSRP.

Last edited by mainemacman; 08-12-2018 at 10:16 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search