E39_530iTurbo Build - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-14-2018, 08:53 AM
Keahi_e39 Keahi_e39 is offline
Registered User
Location: Rockaway, NJ
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 530i M-Sport pac
E39_530iTurbo Build

Hello, everyone. I have been searching for any new information about adding a Turbo to my M54b30 engine. I live in New Jersey and want to know if there are any dyno tune shops close to me that can tune it. Building the turbo kit seems to be the most cost effective way of going about the turbo setup. I really need helpful advice with the best way of going about this build without wasting unnecessary money. I want to make 400whp at least.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 11-14-2018, 09:23 AM
Mr.Yuck Mr.Yuck is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Brookeville, Md.
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 375
Mein Auto: 99 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keahi_e39 View Post
Hello, everyone. I have been searching for any new information about adding a Turbo to my M54b30 engine. I live in New Jersey and want to know if there are any dyno tune shops close to me that can tune it. Building the turbo kit seems to be the most cost effective way of going about the turbo setup. I really need helpful advice with the best way of going about this build without wasting unnecessary money. I want to make 400whp at least.
I doubt there is a drop in kit. You are going to need a bunch of things. Not sure what compression yur engne is or what the psitons are made from. That will have a lot to do with how much boost you can run. You are also going to need bigger injectors, MAP work and of course your computer will need to be reprogramed. I hope you can do the fab work, that adds up quick. If you cannot you might want to look at a supercharger kit. Or maybe this....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LS4.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	827771  
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-14-2018, 11:07 AM
Keahi_e39 Keahi_e39 is offline
Registered User
Location: Rockaway, NJ
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 530i M-Sport pac
.

Last edited by Keahi_e39; 11-14-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 11-14-2018, 11:09 AM
Keahi_e39 Keahi_e39 is offline
Registered User
Location: Rockaway, NJ
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 530i M-Sport pac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Yuck View Post
I doubt there is a drop in kit. You are going to need a bunch of things. Not sure what compression yur engne is or what the psitons are made from. That will have a lot to do with how much boost you can run. You are also going to need bigger injectors, MAP work and of course your computer will need to be reprogramed. I hope you can do the fab work, that adds up quick. If you cannot you might want to look at a supercharger kit. Or maybe this....
My buddy told me that I should do the LM7, LQ4 or L33 swap. If I did the swap what features will I be losing? I want everything to work as it should, like all gauges, A/C and even OBD2 so I can see when it throws a code. Can you tell me about your setup, HP and price?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-14-2018, 11:11 AM
u.nanimous u.nanimous is offline
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
Location: SE Michigan
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,415
Mein Auto: 1999 740iS, 2008 335xi
Unfortunately the most cost effective option to increase power is to start with trading up to a 540 and then add power to that.
But sticking with the 530 what you need to search is power mods for an E46 330. There are entire websites dedicated to this. As Mr. Yuck said though you'll likely have to beef up your internals first for some real boost and superchargers are off the shelf kits for an E46.

sent from the future using the bimmerfest app embedded in my neural implant
__________________


2005 Venture Extended LT - what else you gonna drive when you have 6 kids, cargo and still want better than 10MPG
1999 740iA - long term project/summer DD
2000 Impala LS - RIP 12/23/2016, officially totaled by insurance company
2001 330xiA - fXtXeX/son project - now April's car
2008 335xiA - winterbeater Impala replacement
2002 530i/5 - 2.5 years searching...and it is John's car
1989 535i/5 - the spare car
2002 325xiA - to be Charlotte's when she gets her license (?2019?)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-14-2018, 11:18 AM
Mr.Yuck Mr.Yuck is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Brookeville, Md.
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 375
Mein Auto: 99 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keahi_e39 View Post
My buddy told me that I should do the LM7, LQ4 or L33 swap. If I did the swap what features will I be losing? I want everything to work as it should, like all gauges, A/C and even OBD2 so I can see when it throws a code. Can you tell me about your setup, HP and price?
I'm just running a stock 540i sport 6 speed. BUT there are plenty of SBC swaps around. I'm not sure if there is a "kit" around. I'd check ebay, if there is a drop in kit...it will be on ebay. If you want affordable boost, I'd look into a supercharger. Keep the boost around 8psi and you should be good with stock internals. It isn't going to make 400RWHP thou. FWIW I'm not up on these that much as I am old school muscle cars, but 400RWHP is not easy on driveline parts.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-14-2018, 12:26 PM
Keahi_e39 Keahi_e39 is offline
Registered User
Location: Rockaway, NJ
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 530i M-Sport pac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Yuck View Post
I'm just running a stock 540i sport 6 speed. BUT there are plenty of SBC swaps around. I'm not sure if there is a "kit" around. I'd check ebay, if there is a drop in kit...it will be on ebay. If you want affordable boost, I'd look into a supercharger. Keep the boost around 8psi and you should be good with stock internals. It isn't going to make 400RWHP thou. FWIW I'm not up on these that much as I am old school muscle cars, but 400RWHP is not easy on driveline parts.
The plan was to upgrade the bottom end to Forged Pistons & Rods which VAC has a Turbo build kit that will lower CP to 8.5:1. It also comes with ARP & Raceware main studs and Rod bolts, which is rated to handle 700hp.

For the LS build I saw that Sikky makes a swap kit so I can use my 5 speed. I'm worried about all the other features and cost for the swap. Can you shed some light on what you did
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-14-2018, 12:32 PM
Keahi_e39 Keahi_e39 is offline
Registered User
Location: Rockaway, NJ
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 530i M-Sport pac
Quote:
Originally Posted by u.nanimous View Post
Unfortunately the most cost effective option to increase power is to start with trading up to a 540 and then add power to that.
But sticking with the 530 what you need to search is power mods for an E46 330. There are entire websites dedicated to this. As Mr. Yuck said though you'll likely have to beef up your internals first for some real boost and superchargers are off the shelf kits for an E46.

sent from the future using the bimmerfest app embedded in my neural implant
I stayed away from the 540's because most of them were ran through the mud. I do see the inline 6's pushing 500whp and above with minor internal engine improvements and adding a turbo. They have posted the videos on youtube, but I started this thread to see about any updated information about doing the turbo on a 530
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-14-2018, 01:49 PM
Mr.Yuck Mr.Yuck is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Brookeville, Md.
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 375
Mein Auto: 99 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keahi_e39 View Post
The plan was to upgrade the bottom end to Forged Pistons & Rods which VAC has a Turbo build kit that will lower CP to 8.5:1. It also comes with ARP & Raceware main studs and Rod bolts, which is rated to handle 700hp.

For the LS build I saw that Sikky makes a swap kit so I can use my 5 speed. I'm worried about all the other features and cost for the swap. Can you shed some light on what you did
that was a pix from the internet. I have a stock 540i sport 6 speed. and if I did a swap...It would be with a Gen III Hemi, I'm a mopar guy.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-14-2018, 01:50 PM
Mr.Yuck Mr.Yuck is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Brookeville, Md.
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 375
Mein Auto: 99 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keahi_e39 View Post
I stayed away from the 540's because most of them were ran through the mud. I do see the inline 6's pushing 500whp and above with minor internal engine improvements and adding a turbo. They have posted the videos on youtube, but I started this thread to see about any updated information about doing the turbo on a 530
A guy at tje local track has a 2 door 3 series with a BIG turbo. He kept breaking stuff. Car now has a Power glide trans. I think he is way in the 9's.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-14-2018, 06:17 PM
five.two.five five.two.five is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 266
Mein Auto: 2002 525I
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.mosselmanturbo.com
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-14-2018, 09:42 PM
atobe atobe is offline
Banned
Location: Socal
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 151
Mein Auto: 00 528, 01 540
You can try and follow this guy, he's doing a zhp swap and supercharger kit but you might get some ideas how much work and labor is involved.
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ine-Swap/page2
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-16-2018, 09:25 AM
u.nanimous u.nanimous is offline
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
Location: SE Michigan
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,415
Mein Auto: 1999 740iS, 2008 335xi
Those LS swap kits are really meant to be done in a 540.


Quote:
Originally Posted by atobe View Post
You can try and follow this guy, he's doing a zhp swap and supercharger kit but you might get some ideas how much work and labor is involved.
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ine-Swap/page2
For the ZHP they just put in different cams and retuned it, still a 3L M54. But hey, look at post #8 and you'll see OP doesn't want to hear anything about an E46.

sent from the future using the bimmerfest app embedded in my neural implant
__________________


2005 Venture Extended LT - what else you gonna drive when you have 6 kids, cargo and still want better than 10MPG
1999 740iA - long term project/summer DD
2000 Impala LS - RIP 12/23/2016, officially totaled by insurance company
2001 330xiA - fXtXeX/son project - now April's car
2008 335xiA - winterbeater Impala replacement
2002 530i/5 - 2.5 years searching...and it is John's car
1989 535i/5 - the spare car
2002 325xiA - to be Charlotte's when she gets her license (?2019?)

Last edited by u.nanimous; 11-16-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-16-2018, 09:37 AM
Mr.Yuck Mr.Yuck is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Brookeville, Md.
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 375
Mein Auto: 99 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by u.nanimous View Post
Those LS swap kits are really meant to be done in a 540.


For the ZHP they just put in different cams and retuned it, still a 3L M54. But hey, look at post #8 and you'll see OP doesn't want to hear anything about an E46.

sent from the future using the bimmerfest app embedded in my neural implant
does the LS bolt up to the 6 speed pretty easy?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-16-2018, 09:46 AM
u.nanimous u.nanimous is offline
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
Location: SE Michigan
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,415
Mein Auto: 1999 740iS, 2008 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Yuck View Post
does the LS bolt up to the 6 speed pretty easy?
Post #7 OP said the Sikky swap kit lets you keep the BMW the 5 speed, it would be hard to believe they didn't have something for the 6 speed. It would be quite a coincidence if the 6 speed bolted directly up to the LS so probably a special bell housing, is that different between the 5 and 6 speed transmissions?

sent from the future using the bimmerfest app embedded in my neural implant
__________________


2005 Venture Extended LT - what else you gonna drive when you have 6 kids, cargo and still want better than 10MPG
1999 740iA - long term project/summer DD
2000 Impala LS - RIP 12/23/2016, officially totaled by insurance company
2001 330xiA - fXtXeX/son project - now April's car
2008 335xiA - winterbeater Impala replacement
2002 530i/5 - 2.5 years searching...and it is John's car
1989 535i/5 - the spare car
2002 325xiA - to be Charlotte's when she gets her license (?2019?)
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
530 turbo, 530i, e39, e39 530i, e39 530i performance tune, e39 530i turbo, turbo


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.