Just what is "preconditioning" - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X7 (2019 - Current)

X7 (2019 - Current)
The BMW X7 is a sport utility vehicle manufactured by BMW. It is BMW's flagship Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV)

Old 09-24-2019, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: 11' 750Lxi/08' 335xi
Just what is "preconditioning"

After talking to my SA as well as multiple BMW Genius reps, I cannot seem to get a straight answer on exactly what "preconditioning" means on a US 2019 X7 with iDrive 7. My vehicle is equipped with the cold weather package in case that makes a difference.

When googling, I saw a time lapse video of a BMW that had "preconditioning" and over the course of 30 minutes, the windows de-iced as the cabin warmed. This was done without the engine starting according to the poster.

I have drilled down into my settings menu far enough to discover that I can include or exclude "engine start" within the "preconditioning" process. What I'd like to know is, if I exclude "engine start" (for a scenario where my car was in an enclosed space), what would the "preconditioning" process include for my vehicle? Let's assume the engine hasn't been running for several hours so there is no engine heat available to be ventilated into the car. Let's also assume the vehicle reads the exterior temperature to be 40 degrees fahrenheit.

Will the seat heaters come on?
Will the steering wheel heater come on?
Will the side mirror heaters come on?
Like in the video, is there another heating system in the vehicle that will warm the cabin?

Thanks to anyone who has some insight on this!!
20" Staggered OEM F10 M5 Style 343 Black Forged Double Spoke Wheels / Ravenus Studios Caliper Covers / 30% Tint All Around
Previous Rides
2012 X5 / Black Saphire Metallic
2011 750Lxi / Mineral White Metallic / Black Nappa Leather
2008 335xi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2019, 10:55 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Here is an X7 IHKA

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...ons/1VnYbf5uNO
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: 11' 750Lxi/08' 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Thanks, Doug! While that exact link wasn't exactly what I was searching for, it did lead me to some potentially usefull info.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...ing/1VndZuy5wH
Near the bottom, there is a headline titled "Function principle of the stationary auxiliary heater"

Now the question is, does my vehicle have the "stationary auxilary heater"?
20" Staggered OEM F10 M5 Style 343 Black Forged Double Spoke Wheels / Ravenus Studios Caliper Covers / 30% Tint All Around
Previous Rides
2012 X5 / Black Saphire Metallic
2011 750Lxi / Mineral White Metallic / Black Nappa Leather
2008 335xi

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X7 (2019 - Current)
Today's Posts Search