New to diesels need help with exhaust fluid problems 2009 X5 xdrive35D - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW X5 xdrive35D
New to diesels need help with exhaust fluid problems 2009 X5 xdrive35D

Finally picked up the X5 this afternoon. Made it a grand total of 80 miles and the wrong DEF light came back on. Kind of at a loss for what to do other than take it back. Should I ask for a refund and take it to a different dealer/Indy or give them another crack at it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2013, 07:33 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lschackmuth View Post
Finally picked up the X5 this afternoon. Made it a grand total of 80 miles and the wrong DEF light came back on. Kind of at a loss for what to do other than take it back. Should I ask for a refund and take it to a different dealer/Indy or give them another crack at it.

Give them another crack at it.

Anywhere else and the $$$ will rack up quickly. Plus, it is clearly not a 'wrong fluid' issue- any new guys will chase that for a while, whereas these guys already know what they are up against.

At least they reset the 200 mile warning, right?

Be nice if they open a PUMA complaint on this and get the smart guys back at headquarters on it...they've had A LOT of diesel emissions work the last two years!!

GL

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 12-11-2013, 07:40 PM

It did reset the 200 mile counter. I'm gonna take it back tomorrow after I'm done teaching my morning class and see what happens. They did a PUMA already and had the regional guy there to look at it. I forgot the paperwork in my desk but the pile that the SA had was a good 1/2 inch thick. Still only $129.00 with tax out the door this time so hopefully should not cost anything since they did not fix it the first time.

Last edited by lschackmuth; 12-11-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2013, 10:46 AM

Dropped it off again Shop Forman says he's gonna check the pre and post converter sensors. Should be done again tomorrow morning.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:49 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschackmuth View Post
. Should be done again tomorrow morning.

Ahhh... Hope Springs Eternal

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

Old 12-14-2013, 05:05 AM

Well SA finally got back with me at closing yesterday. It sounds they are giving up and just telling me things it might need starting with both NOX sensors and a metering valve. $3000 for the parts a labor so I will be picking up my X5 and bringing it home to sit for a while until I can find the parts and do the work myself.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:10 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Sucks.

You want to get your hands on that stack of paper with all the test reports/diagnostics that were done....

Anything he TELLS you should be also in writing on the repair order. I assume there is $0 charge, and they have been accomodating, so probably not worth beating them up.

From here, it sounds like they've been pretty decent, given it isnt warranted.... Id be nice as you may need their help in the future. (ie if you replace parts, you need to reset that 200 mile limit again....)

Do you have a coding cable, software, laptop? I forget...

Too bad you are not in a CARB state (California and 6 or 7 other states have the same extended emissions parts warranty.) it would be covered.

GL

A

Old 12-14-2013, 01:44 PM

I did read through all the paperwork and everything is there. I'm not upset at them and they have been very accommodating and forthright with everything. I do not have software or cable. Was looking through the software topics educating myself on them before I start messing with that. As it stands I have one start left (down to 3 miles before 0) so I'm going to do some searching for parts and software before I go further.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:27 AM

So I just got under the car to get part numbers and find that the metering valve is not even connected. I used the last of the mileage to "no start" to get to Jacksonville, FL. I have it at a different dealer now so maybe it gets fixed for real this time. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1387819666.327384.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	413717

Old 12-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

FYI:

SI B18 04 12

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=619426

But yeah, that appears to be spraying DEF onto the ground, right?

Amazing

Old 12-23-2013, 05:23 PM

Yes it is spraying on the ground. I saw that post the other day and was holding that ace in my hand if the dealer tried to mess with me. The fed emissions warranty does not cover any of the parts that could be suspect. With all the research I have now this dealer will not get a chance to hold my vehicle for weeks only to forget to put it back together right. I will be doing a full visual inspection before I start it up.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:58 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Do you have the updated metering valve? Not sure if yours was changed or just had the new one at time of manufacture. Prolly useful to know if possible

Old 12-23-2013, 07:24 PM

I'm not sure. I meant to look at the p/n on the and check the sticker but it slipped my mind. And I needed to get the trailer bak to my friend.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:19 AM

We'll the new dealer days that the DDE needs replace. He told me that once a test program has been run for this system it will not let you do it again and that the only way to clear the code and fix the problem is replace the DDE

Old 12-31-2013, 09:53 AM

My X5 is finally up and running. After two service departments, one NOx sensor, and a little over $800.00 it's gone 875 miles with no problems. Thanks for all the help Ard. The second dealer showed me other thing that the first neglected to put back on after they worked on it. Will not be going back to them for anything again.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:49 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Good to hear.

Could you list a quick summary of what was done??

Sounds like:

1. Codes, disassembly and clean- new fluid. No Joy

2. Testing at dealer, new fluid. Sitll no joy

3. Turns out dealer didnt attach DEF injector

4. New dealer, new Nox sensor???? reattach valuve, all good??

Just for future readers...

A

Old 01-20-2014, 07:43 AM

Sorry it has taken so long. Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. Had to reprogram the computer, drain/refill the DEF tanks, and replace one Nox sensor. The first dealer wanted to just toss parts at the problem. It showed that they did not have much experience with diesel engines. If anybody else has problems with their diesel powered BMW make sure the service people know how to work on them.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:40 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d
software

Hey today i take my X5 to a small workshop and i explain all about this forum, about the computer fail and he said that bmw always do that, then he just plug something like a half of cigarette box in to the compouter plug under the dash and conect it via bluetooth to his iphone, he move something in his cell but not touching the car at all, after 5 min the def code was history

I wonder what kind of device he use, i need one, he just erase the fail in 5 min and restart the computer
Someone knows what im talking about?
Someone knows whare to buy it?
Old 04-07-2014, 06:07 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Sweet.

Sounds like he reset the DDE (computer).

Now, are you feeling lucky? Two possibilities:

1. Just needed a reset to start fresh, everything will be fine

2. After 40, 50, 100 miles the DDE will still read issues with the NOX values and some warning will be back- bad DEF, whatever.

(In case you havent read the attachments....the computer adds DEF until the NOX sensors report back "yes, the emissions are being reduced"...if the DEF injection nozzle is clogged or there are problems with DEF delivery, the computer THINKS it is adding DEF when it isnt...after a while it says "Geez, Im adding all kinds of DEF and the NOX isnt responding, this must be bad fluid.... Hmmmm...or maybe the nox sensor is bad and isnt properly reporting true nox levels.... )

ANY-WAY... at least you have a way to reset the light

Old 04-07-2014, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Sweet.

Sounds like he reset the DDE (computer).

Now, are you feeling lucky? Two possibilities:

1. Just needed a reset to start fresh, everything will be fine

2. After 40, 50, 100 miles the DDE will still read issues with the NOX values and some warning will be back- bad DEF, whatever.

(In case you havent read the attachments....the computer adds DEF until the NOX sensors report back "yes, the emissions are being reduced"...if the DEF injection nozzle is clogged or there are problems with DEF delivery, the computer THINKS it is adding DEF when it isnt...after a while it says "Geez, Im adding all kinds of DEF and the NOX isnt responding, this must be bad fluid.... Hmmmm...or maybe the nox sensor is bad and isnt properly reporting true nox levels.... )

ANY-WAY... at least you have a way to reset the light
Your right bro!!! I just feel lucky and i hope the Nox sensor dont give me more troubles or im going to by the mechanical stuff jeje i think is a automotive scanner, do you know something about it?
Old 04-08-2014, 07:16 PM
Five is Right Out!

Mein Auto: 1987 190DT, 2009 X5 35d
Not trying to hiijack the thread, but a couple months ago I had the very same emissions issues 'wrong def' during a trip to Canada. We couldn't complete the trip due to the 200 miles of remaining range, and had to rent a car to continue our trip and leave the x5 at columbus airport long term parking.

Anyways to make a long story short, I had a bmw extended warranty but many scr components are not covered. Dealer back in tn was able to cover all the cost via goodwill from bmw. Props to Kevin at Bmw of Nashville. But in the end, with all the clandestine programming and expensive emissions components not covered under warranty, and the pervasiveness that you see on the forums if this problem, we decided to get rid of it for a '14 jeep wrangler unlimited. We needed a reliable suv and were dog tired of the constant problems with the x5. Wish you all the best.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:28 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesaroo View Post
, I had a bmw extended warranty but many scr components are not covered.
Really?

Was the attached your BMW policy???

Some warranties exclude emissions stuf, but I didnt think BMW did...,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW Extended Warranty 2009.pdf (225.8 KB, 673 views)

Last edited by ard; 04-09-2014 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:25 PM
Five is Right Out!

Mein Auto: 1987 190DT, 2009 X5 35d
ard, when I bought the warranty, from the information I was presented with, emissions components had no additional components covered at the gold or platinum levels, so I chose Powertrain Plus. In any case the repair was goodwilled by BMW.

In retrospect I shoulda/woulda/coulda lemoned it a long time ago and got out of it like you did but I just kept thinking that BMW will get the emissions stuff sorted out soon, but in my case in the end I just couldn't rely on it for family trips--its intended purpose. Out of the 8 family trips, all 8 trips had CELs. It never did strand us, but made us believe it would this last trip.

On our way back from picking it up at the Columbus OH airport, I ran out of remaining DEF range at just north of Cincinnati and never shut it off until we reached nashville, through about 3" of snow on the interstate. The only vehicle that could keep up with me was a E350 4MATIC. Such a shame to have a vehicle so mechanically exquisite and so electronically flawed simultaneously.

On the bright side I need to unload a case of ZF transmission fluid and filter that I had planned to use.

How is your new diesel X treating you? Haven't frequented the forums in awhile.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:39 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
ard, when I bought the warranty, from the information I was presented with, emissions components had no additional components covered at the gold or platinum levels, so I chose Powertrain Plus.
Ah, got it
Quote:

On the bright side I need to unload a case of ZF transmission fluid and filter that I had planned to use.

How is your new diesel X treating you? Haven't frequented the forums in awhile.
Hmmm....

X is fine. 37k as I recall, BMW just did front brakes. I replace the Latitudes (ZP) so all good. About a far from the 2010 as one could get!

Old 04-12-2014, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: X5 2009 3.0d
I wouldn't worry about it. I put BlueDef in mine and had no issues at all. I'm sure its a sensor default. They'll find it. Good luck!

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
2009, def, diesel, diy, exhaust fluid, maintenance, x5, xdrive35d

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search