Are the Bavarian rumors true? - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-16-2014, 07:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post
Wierd shudder on cold starts, might be an early warning sign of a leak on your eccentric shaft sensor. Wierd name for what amounts to a valvetronic/vanos type sensor. I had one progress into a straight out stalled engine on startup in the winter. Had to use my phone to video it in action before the dealer knew what I was talking about. (covered under warranty)

I don't have any illusions that my 2011 E90 will be trouble free. Though, with what's available out there to buy/drive, it might be the last car I want to buy for a good long while. My personal needs/wants are All wheel drive (North East US) and manual transmission. I can't buy an Xdrive anything anymore without it getting saddled with an auto.

My E83 wasn't the most trouble free vehicle, but all in all, it was never terrible for me and never left me stranded anywhere, so I can't complain. And that was a 2nd year production vehicle (2005) for me.
That was my first guess. I wouldn't think this would happen at 42k miles, which is when I noticed it and when I bought the car. It only does this on cold starts when the revs are at 1k or so. The revs drop to 600 within two minutes and car is fine. Still think this is the issue? Car is under new car warranty and will be under CPO after that.

2016 535i | M Sport | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Driver Assistance Plus Package | Multi-Contour Seats | Dynamic Handling Package | Harmon Kardon Audio | Carbon Black Metallic | Ivory White Nappa

2005 530i | Jet Black | Sport Package | Heads up display | Adaptive Xenon | Navigation | Rear Sunshade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2014, 08:12 PM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91 mobile beach locker
A $18,225 2015 Honda Fit EX comes equipped with an alarm, backup camera, blind spot detector, multi-CD player, a 6-speed manual transmission ... and floor mats. And a dipstick!
2008 E91 32K miles, 6-speed, RWD, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, V-1 inside rear headrest, Cocomats (with beach sand), $10 clutch stop mod, go-flat tires, plug kit and air pump.

Others include: 1998 Volvo V70 T5 5-speed 220K, original clutch.

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 07-16-2014, 08:54 PM
Sit on @$$ & hit the gas

Mein Auto: 2011 335i coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
2011 E90 voted most reliable pre-owned car by consumer reports, need more be stated?
I'm surprised and excited to hear that.

I've owned two BMWs in the past 16 months.

A 2007 E90 328i auto 60k - 73k which:
Would shutter on cold starts
Unpredictable and harsh shift from 1-2 and 2-3
Brakes would stick for a second before fully releasing

I didn't take it in for service but I did replace:
Air filter $50 ish (K&N)
Spark plugs $80 ish
Transmission flush $100 fluid and parts
Oil change $80 fluid and filter

I did all the work myself.

My current car I've only had since late May and has no current issues. 2011 335i E92 auto 36k. In my opinion you pay to play. I'm still torn on the auto vs manual but I'm happy with my purchase.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2014, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335xi MSport (40k)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrcd003 View Post
R

Are you incapable of rational discussion? All you do on these forums is freak out about AWD and Japanese cars.
Of course I am - but did you actually read WHY I responded that way before asking me that? I react when attacked.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashedBarrique View Post
I am the second owner of a 1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata with 203,000 miles and have the entire service history since new.

That works out to less than $100 per year for over 24 years (excluding tires).

Hard to call that anything but stellar.
Just ilke all "good" companies have lemons, the reverse is true as well - you have a reverse lemon.

My wife had a 626 - FELL APART around 105k miles.

She had an Rx-7 also, 1994 - do we have to even TALK about hte issues with THOSE cars???

She (despite my advice!!) bought an rx-8 - HHHORIBLE automobile!! TTTTONS of problems. Every time we turned around, we were getting it towed to Mazda.

I also had a miata years ago. I only had it to like 50k miles, but horrible vehicle in terms of ride quality, gas mileage (suprisingly!), everything. what a pos little go cart. No power either.

DO NOT get on here and act like mazdas are ANYTHING other than wht they are - heaping piles of JUNK.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: 328i XDrive 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt_cobain View Post
Just ilke all "good" companies have lemons, the reverse is true as well - you have a reverse lemon.

She had an Rx-7 also, 1994 - do we have to even TALK about hte issues with THOSE cars???

She (despite my advice!!) bought an rx-8 - HHHORIBLE automobile!! TTTTONS of problems. Every time we turned around, we were getting it towed to Mazda.

I also had a miata years ago. I only had it to like 50k miles, but horrible vehicle in terms of ride quality, gas mileage (suprisingly!), everything. what a pos little go cart. No power either.

DO NOT get on here and act like mazdas are ANYTHING other than wht they are - heaping piles of JUNK.

Miata's are girl cars, glad you got rid of that one!

Old 07-17-2014, 12:24 PM

No actually, cars dont have gender.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdboss View Post
That was my first guess. I wouldn't think this would happen at 42k miles, which is when I noticed it and when I bought the car. It only does this on cold starts when the revs are at 1k or so. The revs drop to 600 within two minutes and car is fine. Still think this is the issue? Car is under new car warranty and will be under CPO after that.
Mine was also only on cold starts, and pretty much started stalling out on me in the cold at 48k. miles. The worst part about it, was that it would (obviously) never do this at the dealership. So I found a cold day and used my phone to record the startup to show the dealership.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
No actually, cars dont have gender.

It was one of the top ten cars men should never drive.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongway View Post
Mine was also only on cold starts, and pretty much started stalling out on me in the cold at 48k. miles. The worst part about it, was that it would (obviously) never do this at the dealership. So I found a cold day and used my phone to record the startup to show the dealership.
Well I guess I can just check to see if there is oil in the sensor. Mine never stalls out

2016 535i | M Sport | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Driver Assistance Plus Package | Multi-Contour Seats | Dynamic Handling Package | Harmon Kardon Audio | Carbon Black Metallic | Ivory White Nappa

2005 530i | Jet Black | Sport Package | Heads up display | Adaptive Xenon | Navigation | Rear Sunshade
Old 07-17-2014, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: ED 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandelaney View Post
I really appreciate all the insight, nothing beats hearing from those with years worth of daily interaction with the car. The conclusion I'm able to draw is that a 3 series would in fact require more attention than average, and the reason being the complexity of its design. With more components and sensors, Murphy's law says the chances of something needing replacing goes up.
It is not the complexity, it is the build and design quality. Japanese have better design and better parts, but the performance cannot match BMW and Porsche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iandelaney View Post
How often have you all encountered issues that either require immediate attention or leave the car undriveable until repaired? I'm alright with some of the bells and whistles of the car go out as long as I have the freedom to address them when I have the time and can afford to. A little tinkering here and there isn't a deal breaker. I want a car that I can enjoy each day, what worries me is engaging in a love-hate relationship with a car that gives me just as much grief as satisfaction.
Unfortunately most of these issues are "immediate". Your cannot drive on a broken water pump. You can drive with leaking oil seals, gaskets but eventually it will muck up things or you will run out of oil. You can drive with broken door actuators if you don't mind getting in the passenger side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdboss View Post
Agreed, I view all cars this way. All newer cars have tons of tech and sensors. My parents owned a Honda and told me all of the stuff that went wrong with it. I expect to do maintenance on any car.
The difference is not the "tech and sensors" (all good brands offer that) but the build and parts quality. The parts on Honda and Toyota cars simply don't wear out or break as quickly as BMWs do. It's been proven year after year and is the reason that many people won't buy anything else. All manufacturers have upped their game compared with 30-40 years ago, but the Japanese still lead.

Quote:
I have had my 2006 325i for over a year and have spent less than $50 dollars for a fuse and an oil change.

It had 78,000 miles when I bought it and had previously had front brakes replaced and a new battery.

So far so good.
You are lucky. Come back and report in when you hit 100k.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
My wife's Toyota costs less money for minor, intermediate and major service intervals than my E46 did.
But my wife's automatic transmission failed at 75K miles and had to be replaced...$5K for factory rebuilt unit
And my wife's LED center brake light failed at about 60K and had to be replaced...$300 (if I recall correctly)

Toyotas are typically less expensive for routine maintenance, but I also recalled a coworker who (15 years ago) complained about $1200 for a Lexus' major interval service cost.
In terms of so-called 'reliability', Toyotas indeed have failures of major components which should not fail, and which can cost a lot to replace, too!

Last edited by wilt; 07-17-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:32 AM
Hdhuntr

Mein Auto: 328i Convertible
In rough chronological order SOME of the cars I have had working forward from about 1985 are 3 VWs,2 Jeeps, 5 infinitis and now my first and second BMWs. Some new, some not. To generalize, which is what OP requested I think...
I do believe the German cars cost more when something breaks out of warranty but I also believe they break less often. I think true of all cars as reliability has improved over the years but having had a fair amount of exposure to a number of cars I don't see a big enough difference to worry about.

My first BMW was a 2001 328 convertible with 142k miles and nothing wrong with it. Sold to my brother and got the current one. He has the '01 looking like it was just delivered.

Drive what you like. They are all probably statistically equal.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:53 AM

Mein Auto: '11 328i M-Sport (6MT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdhuntr View Post
Drive what you like. They are all probably statistically equal.
CR and JD Power might beg to differ on that point.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:59 AM
Hdhuntr

Mein Auto: 328i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by R608 View Post
CR and JD Power might beg to differ on that point.
Of course you are right. I misused the word statistically. I should have said from a practical standpoint.

I think it won't change overall what general percentage of money and life we spend on our cars. There will always be a difference but it is were that great there would not be so many people buying these cars and loving them...

Your point stands though!
Old 07-18-2014, 04:19 AM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91 mobile beach locker
My experience has been that parts cost significantly more for a BMW than a Honda or Toyota.

For routine service, BMW the oil and oil filter cost $57.64, the microfilter was $41.44 and the engine air cleaner $24.53. Total $123.61. (Prices with BMWCCA discount, before tax)

For my daughter's Accord, the oil filter is $5.28, drain plug washer $0.28, pollen filter $9.45, engine air cleaner $20.75. (Online prices, plus $10.38 for shipping.) Mobil-1 jugs are about $25 at WalMart. Total $71.14.

The BMW Euro mirror aspheric (wide angle) autodim/heated glass cost $249.40 per side a few years ago. For the Accord, the heated mirror glass is $33.23.

BMWs aren't a cheap habit, and they do break more often.

Consumer Reports:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	c3d66c10-9e3d-11e3-bcfc-29d6325c7070_CRtestscore22.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	452440  
2008 E91 32K miles, 6-speed, RWD, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, V-1 inside rear headrest, Cocomats (with beach sand), $10 clutch stop mod, go-flat tires, plug kit and air pump.

Others include: 1998 Volvo V70 T5 5-speed 220K, original clutch.

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 07-18-2014, 04:21 AM

Mein Auto: '11 328i M-Sport (6MT)
I hate to perpetuate these tangents but I can't resist on a few points here...

Quote:

Aside from the Miata (which you didn't say yours was unreliable anyway), the other Mazdas you mentioned are not known for being their more reliable products. I recall the 626s not being rated all that well back when I considered a couple of them myself. The RX-7 and 8 are notoriously headaches which is why I never even bothered test driving an RX-8 when I was car shopping last time. As for the Miata, sounds like it just wasn't your thing. That doesn't make it a bad car. (Not sure what to say about the gas mileage. Too many factors that influence it.)

Again, all models from a given brand are not necessarily of the same quality. Can't necessarily generalize on that any more than on where they come from, though in some cases there are some patterns. Can you name any brands from Italy or England (just for example. I could name others too) that are known for consistently producing trouble-free vehicles? Even the Top Gear guys joke about that regularly, usually while praising the cars for their other qualities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBMAN View Post
Miata's are girl cars, glad you got rid of that one!
Interesting. Most of the ones I see on the road are driven by guys... I'm with kurt_cobain on this one.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 320i
best cars built 95-99 maxima
one of the worst 2000-2002 maxima
and the 04-06 maxima -90% of the trannys have a unreliable valve body. get's replaced every 70k
06 and 07 maxima.. gota pull the engine to replace the engine chain guides
Da Altima has problem yrs as well,,ie the 03 catalyst was eating the engines thru feed back

2016 320 f30

2011 328IX
Old 07-18-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
I hate to perpetuate these tangents but I can't resist on a few points here...

Aside from the Miata (which you didn't say yours was unreliable anyway), the other Mazdas you mentioned are not known for being their more reliable products. I recall the 626s not being rated all that well back when I considered a couple of them myself. The RX-7 and 8 are notoriously headaches which is why I never even bothered test driving an RX-8 when I was car shopping last time. As for the Miata, sounds like it just wasn't your thing. That doesn't make it a bad car. (Not sure what to say about the gas mileage. Too many factors that influence it.)

Again, all models from a given brand are not necessarily of the same quality. Can't necessarily generalize on that any more than on where they come from, though in some cases there are some patterns. Can you name any brands from Italy or England (just for example. I could name others too) that are known for consistently producing trouble-free vehicles? Even the Top Gear guys joke about that regularly, usually while praising the cars for their other qualities.

Interesting. Most of the ones I see on the road are driven by guys... I'm with kurt_cobain on this one.

Depends on where you live I guess. Not too many tough Ky rednecks want to be seen in one!

Old 07-18-2014, 07:18 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Shiftright View Post
A $18,225 2015 Honda Fit EX comes equipped with an alarm, backup camera, blind spot detector, multi-CD player, a 6-speed manual transmission ... and floor mats. And a dipstick!

I've noticed Honda's Odyssey comes equipped with almost everything Merc's GL does....half the price, or less. Lacks heated/cooled drink holders, however. Lacks V8, diesel, and Merc's famous ride integrity, yet not at all bad. More room though.

Point being, Orient owns bang fer buck!
Old 07-18-2014, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
[As to the Miata being a "girl's" car]Interesting. Most of the ones I see on the road are driven by guys... I'm with kurt_cobain on this one.
Yeah, heard that one. We Miata owners also hear that the Miata is a "gay" car. I find that one the most amusing.

I don't care what other people think of my cars. I drive them because of what they do for me. The Miata is a blast to drive. Its controls are light and responsive. It is rear wheel drive, has a quick shifting five speed, a limited slip differential, a dual wishbone suspension and nearly perfect handling due these factors and to its 50/50 weight balance.

Oh, and the Miata has been on Car and Driver's top ten list for most of its existence and it is the most raced automobile in history.

With few exceptions (including one poster above) they are beloved by their owners and almost universally praised in the motoring press.

I love mine, and it gets 30 to 34 mpg depending on how I drive it. And I usually drive it like I stole it.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Yeah, heard that one. We Miata owners also hear that the Miata is a "gay" car. I find that one the most amusing.

I don't care what other people think of my cars. I drive them because of what they do for me. The Miata is a blast to drive. Its controls are light and responsive. It is rear wheel drive, has a quick shifting five speed, a limited slip differential, a dual wishbone suspension and nearly perfect handling due these factors and to its 50/50 weight balance.

Oh, and the Miata has been on Car and Driver's top ten list for most of its existence and it is the most raced automobile in history.

With few exceptions (including one poster above) they are beloved by their owners and almost universally praised in the motoring press.

I love mine, and it gets 30 to 34 mpg depending on how I drive it. And I usually drive it like I stole it.

Hey I'm not hating on your car or LGBT's. People drive and love who they want, not my business. I just read that survey online of what not to drive if you're a guy. Heck, my other car is a black smoke billowing diesel 4x4. What's that say about me-REDNECK! Partially true, but I also drive a BMW.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 320i
Truedelta.com

2016 320 f30

2011 328IX
Old 07-18-2014, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Welcome to the 'fest. BMWs are highly engineered cars and they are almost always less reliable than Japanese cars. In your situation a manual 325/328 is probably one of the better 3er choices you could make. BMWs do generally require more frequent maintenance than other cars. If you can do your own maintenance that is a big help to your checkbook. BMWs are also very addicting.

The key to buying a used Bimmer is finding one that has been well cared for. BMWs do not take abuse and neglect well. They WILL make you pay for it.

A few other cars you probably should consider that would be relatively good college cars and also fun - Infiniti G35/37, Acura TSX, Mazda3.
Agree! I owned a 06 g35 throughout high school and college. I bought my bimmer after I graduated. it was a great and fun car that gave me no problems!
Old 07-20-2014, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi sedan, auto
You could definitely do worse than getting a BMW 325/328. I would probably stay away from '06 and '07 though since those years were early in the product lifecycle. I have an '08 with 100,000 miles that is going strong (though I recently had to fix one coil and the tensioner). I had a Subaru Legacy and an Infiniti G20 - both total POSs! Granted they were old when I had them, but still, the hallowed Japanese brands are just as unreliable when they're older as anybody else.

Just look at consumer reports, it's pretty cheap. You'll see that the '08 328xi has AVERAGE RELIABILITY, whereas countless other brands from the last 6 years have terrible reliability (surprisingly Nissan).

One word of caution for the first-time buyer of a high end German car - they are engineered to feel great when they're new so that rich people (key word here!) buy them. If you can't afford to maintain a car, don't buy one that has high costs of maintenance.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
advice, cost, cost of long term ownership, cost of ownership, cost to own, help advice, high mileage, maintenance

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search