Photo Journal of 3/15 ED: Iceland,Welt,Castles,Rothenburg+ vonTrapp Villa in Salzburg - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 03-20-2015, 07:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 435i F33 M Sport Verte
As an added note with regard to our stay in Salzburg at Villa Trapp here is a link to a separate thread focusing on its appearance in the just shown ABC 20/20 Special wherein Julie Andrews returned to Salzburg as part of the 50th Anniversary Commemoration of the Sound of Music film. Have just appended to that thread a photo from the also just released 50th Anniversary Blu-ray edition of the movie a photo of Villa Trapp as it has been replicated in a puppet theatre rendition of the Sound of Music that is highlighted in another Julie Andrews special that is included in 50th Anniversary Commemorative Blu-ray set as a special feature, also focusing on her recent return to Salzburg.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=832945

Last edited by Northcar; 03-23-2015 at 12:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2015, 04:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 528i Msport
What a great thread. Awesome pictures of the car and the scenery. This is why I wish I lived in Germany. Germany is a beautiful country and they make the best automobiles too. You took some beautiful pictures. Thanks for the walkthrough. That castle is something to behold. Sets the car off totally!
2004 545i Sport - Sold
2011 335CiC - Sold
2009 535i M Sport - Traded
2007 530i - Traded
Old 03-23-2015, 09:19 PM

Added views from Rothenburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-school View Post
What a great thread. Awesome pictures of the car and the scenery. This is why I wish I lived in Germany. Germany is a beautiful country and they make the best automobiles too. You took some beautiful pictures. Thanks for the walkthrough. That castle is something to behold. Sets the car off totally!

Thanks. Here are some added views from our visit to the picturesque Medieval Walled City of Rothenburg.

The Christmas packaged bus was just up the street from our hotel. Behind it is the year round Christmas shop and Christmas Museum.

(I have also added, below my photos, a link to a brief video clip that captures the taste of this unique place. We enjoyed visiting with the Japanese artist featured in the video clip.)

Here is the video clip:

Last edited by Northcar; 03-23-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2015, 01:44 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Love the photos, looks like such a neat trip (and the food pics have made me hungry!).
Old 03-24-2015, 10:42 AM

Bon Appetit

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalily View Post
Love the photos, looks like such a neat trip (and the food pics have made me hungry!).
Danke.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:53 AM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Volvo V60+ Volvo S80
What a great trip and wonderful collection of pics! Thanks for sharing it with us.
Iceland is definitely on my bucket list.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 BMW X1 Xdrive
I think our wives should do a trip together. I don't think I have any pictures of her without a shopping bag in her hand either.
2012 BMW 128i Convertible (red) RETIRED
2015 MINI Cooper Convertible (blue) RETIRED
2015 BMW X1 X Drive (blue) RETIRED
2018 BMW X1 X Drive (black)

Last edited by Gluhwein; 03-24-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluhwein View Post
I think our wives should do a trip together. I don't think I have any pictures of her without a shopping bag in her hand either.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 435I Coupe
Hey Northcar, when you ordered the leather dash did you have to specify black vs your red seats, or does it only come in Black? Any chance you remember the code you used?
Old 03-25-2015, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: '15 550i ED, '14 X3 28i
Hey there, have you heard anything about a ship yet? The FRA drop-off location told me to email them tomorrow for the status.
2012 535i - Retired
2008 528i - Retired
Old 03-25-2015, 09:05 PM

My Ship is in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas550 View Post
Hey there, have you heard anything about a ship yet? The FRA drop-off location told me to email them tomorrow for the status.

Yes. I was advised that my car would be transported on the Demeter Leader (NYK Lines). I have been "watching" the RoRo (roll on roll off) ship Demeter Leader sitting at anchor the last few days awaiting the berth opening up in Bremerhaven. A few hours ago I saw the status had changed to "ship under power." Next I checked the information was "Currently in Port."

Heading over to the Bremerhaven Port webcam site I see that the prior RoRo Ship that had been loading cars the past two days is now departed and I can see, despite the dark, the NYK logo on the side of the incoming boat confirming it has now arrived. I assume it will take two days to load before it then departs with my vehicle aboard.

Here is a screen shot taken moments ago:

Last edited by Northcar; 03-25-2015 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:17 PM

Regarding Ordering Leather Dashboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by webwolf2007 View Post
Hey Northcar, when you ordered the leather dash did you have to specify black vs your red seats, or does it only come in Black? Any chance you remember the code you used?

Code is 4M5 Priority 1 Leather Dashboard, or at least that is what it was designated as when I placed my order. I don't know if it is still a "Priority 1" option, but I assume the code still is the same as 4M5.

It only comes in black so there is no need to specify. (One of my primary reasons for ordering the leather dash was that I liked having the black dashboard that came standard with my prior 335i convertible that also had the Coral Red seats and the only way I could duplicate that was to order the Leather Dashboard option since the red dashboard is now standard with Coral Red seats.)

Last edited by Northcar; 03-26-2015 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:30 PM

Ready to Board the Ship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northcar View Post
Yes. I was advised that my car would be transported on the Demeter Leader (NYK Lines). I have been "watching" the RoRo (roll on roll off) ship Demeter Leader sitting at anchor the last few days awaiting the berth opening up in Bremerhaven. A few hours ago I saw the status had changed to "ship under power." Next I checked the information was "Currently in Port."

Heading over to the Bremerhaven Port webcam site I see that the prior RoRo Ship that had been loading cars the past two days is now departed and I can see, despite the dark, the NYK logo on the side of the incoming boat confirming it has now arrived. I assume it will take two days to load before it then departs with my vehicle aboard.

Here is a screen shot taken moments ago:

Here is an expanded view of the above screen shot followed by some screen shots taken a day or two ago of the prior RoRo ship being loaded there at the Bremerhaven Port. It is my understanding that the BMWs are driven from a staging area over the railroad tracks on the bridge that you see pictured. I like to believe that one of the cars I caught on the webcam yesterday was my car headed over to await its loading today. It sure looks like mine!

I could swear that car on the bridge closest to the ship is mine!

Last edited by Northcar; 03-25-2015 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:55 AM

Update - Vehicles now loading onto the ship in Germany

[QUOTE=Northcar;8987779]Here is an expanded view of the above screen shot followed by some screen shots taken a day or two ago of the prior RoRo ship being loaded there at the Bremerhaven Port. It is my understanding that the BMWs are driven from a staging area over the railroad tracks on the bridge that you see pictured. I like to believe that one of the cars I caught on the webcam yesterday was my car headed over to await its loading today. It sure looks like mine!

UPdate - here some 10 or so hours later and with daylight you can see the ship my car is likely now aboard, the Demeter Leader (NYK line), as it is currently moored at the dock and loading vehicles. (The night views in the post above showed it moving into position for docking and you could see the large letters "NYK" on the side.)

In the Bremerhaven Port Webcam screen capture it is the furthest ship for which only a small portion can be seen up in the upper right hand corner of the photo. It is behind the Hoegh AutolLiners vessel. Look for the blue with a white cap to the immediate right of the Autoliners vessel.

Here is a stock photo of the Demeter Leader to compare: (In the above Port Webcam shots you see just the aft portion where part of the word "Line" in white is blurred though still visible.)

Last edited by Northcar; 03-26-2015 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: '15 550i ED, '14 X3 28i
Too bad we're going to different coasts! Got word I'm supposed to be on the California Highway. Looks like it's still making its way to Bremerhaven, but the good news is, it's one of the faster boats to the east coast. It skips a few cities on the way to Brunswick.
2012 535i - Retired
2008 528i - Retired
Old 03-26-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas550 View Post
Too bad we're going to different coasts! Got word I'm supposed to be on the California Highway. Looks like it's still making its way to Bremerhaven, but the good news is, it's one of the faster boats to the east coast. It skips a few cities on the way to Brunswick.

As you follow its progress toward Bremerhaven here is a link to the live webcam so you can watch your car being loaded onto the ship there:

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...XEaSVgxFBAGDzg
Old 03-26-2015, 10:27 PM

An alternative link to the live Bremerhaven Webcam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northcar View Post
As you follow its progress toward Bremerhaven here is a link to the live webcam so you can watch your car being loaded onto the ship there:

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...XEaSVgxFBAGDzg

For those having problems with the above link, here is an alternative link to the Bremerhaven Port webcams. The auto loading area is in the third one down on the left titled Automobile Export:

http://www.bremerhaven.de/webcams-from-bremerhaven/

Here is a screen capture from the webcam from moments ago as the morning light is now signaling the beginning of the second day of loading for my ship the Demeter Leader.

(Again positioned behind the Hoegh Autoliners ship with the aft portion of the Leader visible on the far right. The visible portion of the Leader is blue with a white cap. In the below screen capture(s) there is a glow of light just to its right.)

Here is an aerial view of the Bremerhaven Port Automobile loading area that may help to add perspective, Look for the bridge that crosses over the railroad tracks in both the aerial view and the webcam views.

Last edited by Northcar; 03-26-2015 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:03 PM

Further updates on the ship's progress are contained on this separate thread. As of this posting the ship has left both Bremerhaven and Southampton and begun its 14 day journey to the next port of call in Panama before going through the Panama Canal to reach the Pacific Ocean.

Here is the link to the separate thread:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...ps7fdcdeae.jpg

Last edited by Northcar; 03-29-2015 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:55 AM
Driving 'en Plein Air'

Mein Auto: 435i vert ED July 2014
Great report! Pictures are fabulous too Wishing you a quick re-delivery But whatever you do, make sure you don't obsess on tracking the car too much

F33 435i M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Oyster/Black/Estoril | 441M 18" Wheels | Driver's Assistance | Premium | MDHP | M-Sport Brakes | MPPK for added weight | MPE to round it off | De-Badged | M-Sport Vent Badges

RETIRED: 2008 E92 335i Coupé BMWCCA Nº. 383753
Old 04-03-2015, 11:28 AM

Interesting. After several days of no updates, the ship positioning site now reports the Demeter Leader's location as "Atlantic North" and underway at a speed of 15.1 knots. Estimated time of arrival in Panama remains the same.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/details/ships/shipid:410373/mmsi:352745000/imo:9477921/vesselEMETER_LEADER
Old 04-04-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJAPoc View Post
Great report! Pictures are fabulous too Wishing you a quick re-delivery But whatever you do, make sure you don't obsess on tracking the car too much
Thanks. Do you remain as happy with Mineral Grey on your 4 Series convertible as you were with the choice initially? Seeing your photos from your European Delivery helped me to envision much better what Mineral Grey would look like than the BMWUSA Configurator offered.

Last edited by Northcar; 04-05-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:33 PM

Reflecting on today being Easter, here is the interior of the just outside of Salzburg church that the movie wedding in The Sound of Music took place 50 years ago along with Julie Andrew's recent return. (Screen shot from recent ABC Special hosted by Diane Sawyer on 20/20 showing in the left frame Julie Andrews 50 years ago on the movie set, and in the right frame her walking the aisle again 50 years later.)

The bottom photo shows how the church appears this Easter day as it was being prepped for Easter Services during our visit there during our European Delivery travels a few weeks ago.

Last edited by Northcar; 04-05-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:05 AM
CarSwami

Mein Auto: BMW 335i Convertible
It has been a long time since I enjoyed reading a thread on bimmerfest as I did just now! What a fabulous record of an ED. It should be required reading for anyone who is thinking about doing an ED but cannot quite make the final decision. The narrative brought back great memories of my ED which also happened to be for a 335i convertible in 2007. Maybe it is time to upgrade to the 435i convertible like you did!

Congratulations and keep the pictures coming.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarSwami View Post
It has been a long time since I enjoyed reading a thread on bimmerfest as I did just now! What a fabulous record of an ED. It should be required reading for anyone who is thinking about doing an ED but cannot quite make the final decision. The narrative brought back great memories of my ED which also happened to be for a 335i convertible in 2007. Maybe it is time to upgrade to the 435i convertible like you did!

Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated.

Just learned of an internet site that allows one to input the last 7 digits of your VIN number and it gives a print out of all your options and included equipment. When you continue to the PDF link, at least for current year cars, it also gives a view of the car's exterior and interior.

Since my leather dashboard option was not a listed option on the BMWUSA website configurator, this was the first time I could get an internet view of my car's interior.

Here is the screen shot from the site along with a real life view of the car's interior:

And here is a link to the above described internet site:

http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html
Old 04-09-2015, 11:40 AM

Nearing the Bermuda Triangle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarSwami View Post

Likely only of interest to the few of us who have out cars currently being transported on the Demeter Leader, but after a number of days with no further updates there was a reporting four hours ago - at least giving us the assurance that our BMWs have not disappeared into the abyss of The Bermuda Triangle.

Reported position remains "Atlantic North."
Bearings are Latitude 21.74702 degrees; Longitude -72.71632 degrees.

Have no idea where that actually positions the ship but assume there must be an app somewhere that would allow me to input those numbers and then it would position them on a map?

EDITED TO ADD: Just found a cool tool that allowed me to input longitude and latitude giving me the following map location for the above bearings: (Puts the ship proximate to the Turks Islands in the vicinity of Cuba and the Dominican Republic)

Last edited by Northcar; 04-09-2015 at 11:53 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery
Today's Posts Search