Photo Journal of 3/15 ED: Iceland,Welt,Castles,Rothenburg+ vonTrapp Villa in Salzburg - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 04-09-2015, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: M235i
Quick, email the captain and ask him to pick up a few Churchills and rum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2015, 03:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 435i M-Sport Convertible
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northcar View Post
Likely only of interest to the few of us who have out cars currently being transported on the Demeter Leader, but after a number of days with no further updates there was a reporting four hours ago - at least giving us the assurance that our BMWs have not disappeared into the abyss of The Bermuda Triangle.

Reported position remains "Atlantic North."
Bearings are Latitude 21.74702 degrees; Longitude -72.71632 degrees.

Have no idea where that actually positions the ship but assume there must be an app somewhere that would allow me to input those numbers and then it would position them on a map?

EDITED TO ADD: Just found a cool tool that allowed me to input longitude and latitude giving me the following map location for the above bearings: (Puts the ship proximate to the Turks Islands in the vicinity of Cuba and the Dominican Republic)

Re: picking up goods in Cuba

Since the ship is under the Panama flag there probably would be no restrictions on a Cuban Port of Call. Somehow I suspect that Cuba does not have a major BMW presence - yet.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:17 PM
Driving 'en Plein Air'

Mein Auto: 435i vert ED July 2014
Quote:
Thanks. Do you remain as happy with Mineral Grey on your 4 Series convertible as you were with the choice initially? Seeing your photos from your European Delivery helped me to envision much better what Mineral Grey would look like than the BMWUSA Configurator offered.

Yes, I love the color! And glad my pictures helped your decision as well. I'm ready for my next ED... It's only been 276 days, 13 hours, 37 minutes and some seconds since we picked up our car

F33 435i M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Oyster/Black/Estoril | 441M 18" Wheels | Driver's Assistance | Premium | MDHP | M-Sport Brakes | MPPK for added weight | MPE to round it off | De-Badged | M-Sport Vent Badges

RETIRED: 2008 E92 335i Coupé BMWCCA Nº. 383753
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2015, 12:09 AM

Mein Auto: 435i F33 M Sport Verte
Now enjoying "my" Caribbean Cruise as ship passes Jamaica

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJAPoc View Post
Yes, I love the color! And glad my pictures helped your decision as well. I'm ready for my next ED... It's only been 276 days, 13 hours, 37 minutes and some seconds since we picked up our car
Thanks for the feedback.

Latest update on the journey of my in transit vehicle is that the good ship Demeter Leader has now passed right between Cuba and Haiti and is now in the vicinity of Jamaica.

Here is a link to the longitude latitude map site for anyone else in the future who has only the coordinates reported and following a car's journey from the factory to ultimate destination:

http://www.findlatitudeandlongitude....p_type=ROADMAP

Last edited by Northcar; 04-10-2015 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:04 AM

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '16 535xi
Quote:
That is a really handy tool. Even allows you to do reverse look up - find the coordinates of anywhere in the world just by zooming in on an extremely detailed map. It's a "keeper".
Old 04-11-2015, 08:52 PM

Ship now reported to be entering Panama Canal

Just came across this website that allows one to check on ships entering and in the Panama Canal to see where they are positioned. As evident in this screen shot the ship Demeter Leader transporting my BMW to the West Coast is now entering the waters of the Panama Canal:

Here is a link to the live ship positioning website for others in the future who may be following their vehicles headed to the West Coast as they enter into and continue on into the Panama Canal. (You just move your mouse over the various pictured ships as it one-by-one identifies the ship and its exact location,):

http://www.seacruisechat.com

Finally here is some factual information about transit through the Panama Canal that may be of general interest:

From the Atlantic Ocean entrance north of Colon it is approximately a 56 mile (9 hour) journey to the Pacific Ocean exit south of Balboa. The canal handles approximately 13,000 ships a year. (Of course ships often spend time moored in Lake Gatun and other wide bodies of water which are part of the canal so the transit from Atlantic to Pacific can extend much longer.)

Last edited by Northcar; 04-13-2015 at 01:48 AM.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:39 AM

In the Panama Canal

Ship Demeter Leader with BMWs aboard is past the Gatun Lockes and has exited Lake Gatun heading South toward Centennial Bridge and the Mira Flores Lockes for an eventual exit to the Pacific Ocean.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:44 PM
Thinking about ED #5

Mein Auto: M850xi
great pics! (I had no idea you could get a leather dash on a 435, interesting)
Old 04-12-2015, 04:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 BMW X1 Xdrive
I have never been so glad to live on the East Coast. Your ship's journey is excruciating. They should give you guys two months of non payments on a lease.
2012 BMW 128i Convertible (red) RETIRED
2015 MINI Cooper Convertible (blue) RETIRED
2015 BMW X1 X Drive (blue) RETIRED
2018 BMW X1 X Drive (black)
Old 04-12-2015, 11:14 PM

Caught the ship live in the Panama Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluhwein View Post
I have never been so glad to live on the East Coast. Your ship's journey is excruciating. They should give you guys two months of non payments on a lease.
Thanks for feeling our pain.

Today's exciting event though was actually catching a live view of the ship itself in the Panama Canal. Photo is from one iPhone's camera capturing a view from the live Panama Canal webcam as seen on another iPhone.

Here is the ship Demeter Leader easily recognizable by its blue side and white cap top as well as the side markings. It is seen positioned in the Pedro Miguel Locks nearing exit from Panama Canal to the Pacific Ocean. (The webcam alternates views toward the Centennial Bridge and to the Pedro Miguel Locks.)

Some added details regarding today's transit through the Panama Canal:

1. Yesterday on 4/11 the Demeter Leader anchored in the Anchorage on the Atlantic side awaiting permission and a slot to enter the canal.
2. Today, 4/12, it was given the OK and entered the Panama Canal at 8:06 AM.
3. It transited through the locks and lakes of the canal exiting at 5:25 P.M.
4. Total time to transit from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean for the ship Demeter Leader totaled 9 hours and 19 minutes.

The ship's next destination is Long Beach with an estimated time of arrival on April 22nd. Two days later it should make it to the port outside Oxnard, California where the BMWs will be unloaded, go through customs, and then proceed to the Vehicle Preparation Center (VPC) in Oxnard.

Here is a screenshot of the then "live" photo taken earlier today by the Peunte Centenario, Panama Canal webcam that shows a view looking at the Pedro Miguel Locks. As noted above, the ship in the locks is the Demeter Leader in which "our" BMWs are currently being transported.

For completeness and comparison, here is a screen shot of the ship's positioning website showing its most recently reported location as being in the Panama waters on the Pacific side of the canal. You can also compare the stock photo of the ship itself to the ship seen in the above "live" shot from earlier today to confirm said ship in the locks is the Demeter Leader with "our" BMWs aboard: (Note the dark side and white cap top as well as the side markings. On the side you can see both the angled wide stripes as well as the NYK letters.)

Last edited by Northcar; 04-13-2015 at 02:27 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:19 AM

Into the Home Stretch

After several days of no reported sightings, just within the past hour a reporting of the ship's position has been reported on the ship's positioning website. Inputing the longitude and latitude coordinates into the handy tool above described, this is where the ship Demeter Leader is now positioned.

It is heading north at a speed of 15.7 knots per hour and as evident from the map was most recently along the coast of El Salvador and now along side Guatemala with entry into Mexican sea space upcoming in the next few hours.

The ship with "our" BMW's aboard remains estimated to arrive in Long Beach on the 22nd, approximately a week from now, and then on to off loading of the BMWs at Oxnard, California's Port Hueneme within days thereafter.

And to add some pictorial interest (and to refresh my memory of what the car looks like since it has been locked in the ship's hold since its loading at the Bremerhaven Port several weeks ago) here are some screen captures of the car as it was picked up by Google from its prior postings here on Bimmerfest:

Old 04-16-2015, 04:26 AM

Automobile Transport Ship Demeter Leader now off Southwestern Coast of Mexico

Presently the Demeter Leader is off the coast of the Mexican State of Oaxaca which is located in Southwestern Mexico.

A few interesting facts about Oaxaca. Its rugged terrain has allowed for the indigenous peoples there to uniquely preserve their cultures. It has no navigable waters keeping entry by sea limited as well. The oldest evidence of "farming" on the continent has been discovered in artifacts containing corn or maize dating from 11,000 B.C. unearthed there.

To see the pictorial positioning of the ship its coordinates at the time of this posting are Latitude 14.67258 and Longitude -96.40527. By inputing same into the linked tool below you can see exactly where the ship now is at the time of this posting as well as see where Oaxaca is positioned. (Alterntively one can look at the screen shot from yesterday in post #61 above which shows Oaxaca.)

http://www.findlatitudeandlongitude....p_type=ROADMAP

Last edited by Northcar; 04-16-2015 at 04:38 AM.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:55 PM

One Mexican State closer with ship now off Guerrero

The Demeter Leader's positioning website received a signal four minutes ago. The newly provided coordinates of Laitude 16.2762 and Longitude of -100.0497 when plugged into the Longitude/Latitude map tool give the following pictorial placement.

The ship has now progressed to the coast line of the Mexican State of Guerrero.

Now for today's Geography/History Lesson:

Guerrero is the only one of the 33 some Mexican States to be named after a president. Guerrero was a leader of the MexicanWar of Independence and served as Mexico's 2nd president.

The terrain is mountainous and rugged and most of its residents live on a few Mesas and in the coastal region. It is probably best known to North Americans as the state in which Acapulco is located. Acapulco is its largest city. Tourism is its main and practically only source of employment which helps to explain why it is the number one Mexican state in providing emigrants to the United States.

Hunter-gatherer peoples were found from cave evidence to have lived in Guerrero some 20,000 years ago.

Here is the ship Demeter Leader as it now continues northward off the coast of Guerrero:

Last edited by Northcar; 04-16-2015 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:01 PM

Ship now off Baja California - U.S. Port calls this week

After a 4 day hiatus with a ship tracking blackout, the ship Demeter Leader tracking website just reported a positioning within the hour.

Plugging the just reported latitude and longitude coordinates into the Latitude Longitude mapping tool confirms our ship with our BMWs is now positioned off the Baja California coast, having made its way past Cabo San Lucas and now headed north in the direction of San Diego.

The ship is still scheduled to reach its first U.S. Port (Long Beach) on Wednesday the 22nd with the ship then continuing on to Port Hueneme, where the BMW Vehicle Preparation Center is located there in Oxnard, to follow by Friday.

Here is the present positioning:

Old 04-20-2015, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: e92 328i
Your car is getting closer.

Are you in AK? How does your car get there from Port Hueneme?
Old 04-20-2015, 10:14 PM

The axiom proves true. A watched pot never boils. There was another position reporting later in the day, but progress appears to being made at a snail's pace. Most, if not all vehicles off loaded at Port Hueneme head out by truck transport.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:14 AM

I see now the ship has made up to the upper part of Baja California and should be across from Ensenada sometime today.

Tomorrow morning it will reach its first port of Long Beach. I believe that is where any Mercedes on board will be unloaded. The BMWs will continue on to Port Hueneme where after going through customs they will be secured at the Vehicle Preparation Center there in Oxnard until released to go by truck transport to the respective dealers.

The ship is scheduled to arrive in Port Hueneme one day after its arrival in Long Beach.

Last edited by Northcar; 04-23-2015 at 02:33 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: e92 328i
Quote:
The axiom proves true. A watched pot never boils. There was another position reporting later in the day, but progress appears to being made at a snail's pace. Most, if not all vehicles off loaded at Port Hueneme head out by truck transport.

Wow! That's over 3,400 miles to Anchorage by truck. Your vehicle is on quite a journey to it's home.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:08 PM

I believe typically vehicles arriving at Port Hueneme that are headed outside the continental United States, and which were purchased through a dealer outside the continental United States, do eventually get reboarded onto some other transport ship, but only after they are trucked to the other port which could be as far distant as Tacoma or for BMWs headed to Hawaii as close as Long Beach.

Last edited by Northcar; 04-21-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:37 PM

And here is the most recent ship positioning. Might even make it to United States coastal waters before midnight tonight.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:48 PM

Closing in on crossing the border

An updated positioning from a few minutes ago now has the good ship Demeter Leader just off Rosarito with Tijuana in sight.

Ship speed is now 16.5 knots per hour with a 7 knots per hour wind. Estimated arrival time in Long Beach for tomorrow has been moved up an hour.

And here is the same location as seen on the Find Longitude Latitude interpretive website:

And this was the view of the Pacific as seen from my office this afternoon, albeit no where near where the Demeter Leader is positioned though the ship passing by is also a RoRo (Roll on Roll off) vehicle transport.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:44 AM

Moored: In Long Beach Port

Official arrival time this morning was 5:35 A.M. Pictured below is a Long Beach Port Webcam shot taken at 6:11:50 A.M. Somewhere in the screen capture is the Demeter Leader now arrived at its first U.S. Port since departing from Bremerhaven weeks ago.

Some trivia regarding Long Beach Port. It has 87 slips for commercial and recreational vehicles. Rainbow Harbor has 12 150 foot docks for commercial vessels.

Long Beach is the permanent home for The Queen Mary which is open as a tourist attraction.

Within two days from now the Demeter Leader will have arrived at its second U.S. Port, Port Hueneme, in Oxnard, California where the BMWs aboard will be unloaded on Thursday the 23rd.

For completeness here is the Demeter Leader's positioning website from this morning identifying its current position now moored at Long Beach:

And here is the Long Beach Harbor webcam also from this morning that focuses on The Queen Mary and the Cruise Ship Departure area:

Last edited by Northcar; 04-23-2015 at 02:32 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:04 PM

Mein Auto: 435i M-Sport Convertible
Photo Journal of 3/15 ED: Iceland,Welt,Castles,Rothenburg+ vonTrapp Villa in ...

Ship has now left Long Beach with 7:03 PM departure time. Estimated time of arrival at Port Hueneme 5:00 AM Thursday morning so all the BMWs should be offloaded well before the weekend,

Last edited by 1northcar; 04-23-2015 at 02:29 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:34 PM

On schedule for Tomorrow's arrival and unloading of BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1northcar View Post
Ship has now left Long Beach with 7:03 PM departure time. Estimated time of arrival at Port Hueneme 5:00 AM Thursday morning so all the BMWs should be offloaded well before the weekend,
Total time in port at Long Beach approximately 13 1/2 hours! Likely a busy day unloading the Mercedes aboard that have shared the voyage with our BMWs from Germany's Bremerhaven port of departure.

OK, here is a screen shot from the live ship positioning website for the Demeter Leader confirming the above:

Last edited by Northcar; 04-23-2015 at 02:28 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:46 AM

Now halfway from Long Beach to Port Hueneme for today's unloading

Interestingly the speed of the Demeter Leader is currently half what it had been on its journey to Long Beach. Instead of moving at close to 14 knots per hour it is now under power at approximately 7 knots per hour to make the haul from Long Beach to Port Hueneme for tomorrow's unloading of the BMWs.

Even at this lower speed it is already halfway to Port Hueneme as evident from this screenshot from the live Demeter Leader positioning website:

It is now Thursday morning and within the next few hours Oxnard's Port Hueneme should be in sight.

By sunrise the transport ship Demeter Leader should be moored and ready to unload the BMWs on board.

Edited to add: And now just an hour or two later here we see the ship in even closer proximity to Port Hueneme per its now reported Longitude and Latitude Coordinates:

Last edited by Northcar; 04-23-2015 at 03:51 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery
Today's Posts Search