Photo Journal of 3/15 ED: Iceland,Welt,Castles,Rothenburg+ vonTrapp Villa in Salzburg - Page 4 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 04-23-2015, 10:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 435i F33 M Sport Verte
"My Ship Has Come In!"

From drop off in Munich, to ship boarding in Bremerhaven, to a fuel stop in Southampton, through the Bermuda Triangle, to passage between the waters separating Cuba and Haiti, to the Atlantic Anchorage of the Panama Canal, through the Panama Canal, into the Pacific and a day at the Long Beach port . the vehicle transport ship Demeter Leader has now reached Port Hueneme for the unloading of the BMWs.

Ship arrived this morning at 5:23 AM and the cars are now being off loaded.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2015, 01:03 AM

Demeter Leader now headed for Japan

The ship departed Port Hueneme Friday evening at 5:30 PM on 4/24 with its next destination reported to be a port in Hokkaido, Japan (Tomakomai) along with an estimated time of arrival sometime on the 7th of May. These ships seem to have no rest. Here is a link to the live Demeter Leader positioning website for anyone curious.

The Demeter Leader had arrived at Port Hueneme on 4/23 at 5:23 AM so basically it was in port for two full working days. The first of those days was the unloading of BMWs. Whatever cargo it is taking to Japan, not already on board, was likely loaded on the second day.
Presumably it will continue around the world to get back to Europe for its next scheduled stop at Bremerhaven to once again load BMWs manufactured in Germany. Alternatively it may return to the United States loaded with Toyotas and/or Isuzus and then pick up vehicles manufactured in the United States for export to Europe.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/details/ships/shipid:410373/mmsi:352745000/imo:9477921/vesselEMETER_LEADER

Reportedly Toyota Motor Corporation of Hokkaido and Isuzu Motors have plants in the Port of Tomakomai Industrial Area which was attractive to these automakers as a consequence of power available from a coal fueled thermal power plant. Isuzu was first in 1984, but Toyota has the largest presence having begun its operations there in 1992.

Here is a further link with more details regarding this most interesting port on the once remote Japanese island of Hokkaido which was once distant and removed from the rest of Japan.

http://www.worldportsource.com/ports...komai_3423.php

Last edited by Northcar; 04-25-2015 at 01:20 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW 435i
Speaking of shipping, loginout told me to email them in 10 days to get an estimate for delivery. How accurate are these estimates? I assume what could happen at customs is a big question mark. At what point do you make travel arrangements To pick it up if it isn't local?

2018 M240i Coupe | Mineral Grey | ED - May 17, 2018
2015 435i Coupe | M Sport | Estoril Blue | ED - April 16, 2015
2006 325i Sedan | Jet Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2015, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 435i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank325 View Post
Speaking of shipping, loginout told me to email them in 10 days to get an estimate for delivery. How accurate are these estimates? I assume what could happen at customs is a big question mark. At what point do you make travel arrangements To pick it up if it isn't local?
All they can tell you is the ship's ETA to the port on the East Coast. From there they have no idea how long it takes to go thru customs, VPC, and trucking to the dealership. Before you make any arrangements to travel to your out-of-state dealership, you'd have to wait until they receive it. Everything else is just an estimate.

It may not be too late to PCD. In that case, you would have 10 days to 2 weeks advanced notice to make travel arrangements to the Performance Center.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW 435i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wine-O View Post
All they can tell you is the ship's ETA to the port on the East Coast. From there they have no idea how long it takes to go thru customs, VPC, and trucking to the dealership. Before you make any arrangements to travel to your out-of-state dealership, you'd have to wait until they receive it. Everything else is just an estimate.

It may not be too late to PCD. In that case, you would have 10 days to 2 weeks advanced notice to make travel arrangements to the Performance Center.
Figured that. Thanks!

2018 M240i Coupe | Mineral Grey | ED - May 17, 2018
2015 435i Coupe | M Sport | Estoril Blue | ED - April 16, 2015
2006 325i Sedan | Jet Black
Old 04-28-2015, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: 435i M-Sport Convertible
Quote:
Figured that. Thanks!
Per call with BMWUSA today vehicle has made it through both customs and VPC. That is a stretch of 5 days from when the ship landed for unloading and includes a weekend as part of those 5 days. Hopefully that helps.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '16 535xi
Quote:
The shipping company's estimate of how long it will take the ship to sail from Bremerhaven to a US port is usually very accurate. But the time it will take a car to move from the ship to your dealer is totally unpredictable. The averages will give you a general idea of how long it will take but the extremes are mind boggling.

The average time it took a car from the day it was dropped off by a ship at an east coast port to the day it was picked up at the dealer was 16 days (based on the 230+ cars that I tracked). For the 88 cars that were picked up at the PCD it took an average of 28 days. But, as I said, the extremes are mind boggling and I would not make non-refundable travel arrangements based on these averages.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: M235i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1northcar View Post
Per call with BMWUSA today vehicle has made it through both customs and VPC. That is a stretch of 5 days from when the ship landed for unloading and includes a weekend as part of those 5 days. Hopefully that helps.
I just called....no record of mine having been received at VPC yet one week after the ship arriving in port. Seems odd, but this if my first experience with ED.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:06 AM

While the Demeter Leader continues to head to Japan, the sage of its sister ship, The Artemis Leader remains puzzling as recent reportings suggest it may be facing some unique challenges in getting the BMWs loaded on it to the California Port Hueneme.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=839614

Last edited by Northcar; 05-05-2015 at 01:08 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:26 AM

Added photos and commentary re: Sound of Music Hotels in Salzburg

For some additional photos and commentary regarding our visit to Salzburg and the Sound of Music connection here is a link to another thread in which an inquiry was made as to identity of "The Sound of Music Hotel." The photos show both of the two "Sound of Music Hotels" that one will be directed to on Google as well as added commentary relating to their roles in "The Sound of Music."

For the added photos and commentary scroll to posts #39 and #50 of the below linked thread:

LINK:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=1#post9069028

The second photo below was taken as you enter Villa Trapp and in it you can see, along with yours truly, the entry door reflected in the mirror. Below the mirror is an actual piece of furniture that was owned by the von Trapp family when they resided there. The staircase you see is the original staircase and the von Trapp children took great delight in sliding down its bannisters.

The first photo below shows Julie Andrews standing at the same entry door looking in. (As she stands at the door while being greeted by the hotel's proprietors you can see the mirror and the original piece of furniture again.)

The first photo below is a screen shot from Diane Sawyer's recent ABC Nightline TV special in which she accompanied Julie Andrews, for the first time, to Villa Trapp in conjunction with the 50th Anniversary of The Sound of Music.

Last edited by Northcar; 05-08-2015 at 02:39 AM.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:54 AM

Interesting. My BMW has already been picked up and yet on the BMWUSA website under the "Track My BMW" feature it still reads, "Finishing Touches." Go figure.

Last edited by Northcar; 05-13-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Accord
Fantastic thread, thanks for sharing!
Old 05-14-2015, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewZ View Post
Fantastic thread, thanks for sharing!

Thanks. Much appreciated.

For what it is worth I see the transport ship Demeter Leader has now left Japan with its next port of call later this week to be in Korea. It will be curious to see if it heads back to the United States to unload Toyotas and Hyundais or if it continues directly to Europe circling the globe.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:28 PM

The Demeter Leader remains in North Asia for the present

Still no indication whether the Demeter Leader will circle the globe by heading west directly to Europe or if it will back track to the Americas and reenter the Panama Canal to return the way it came. The Demeter Leader ship positioning website does confirm that it did arrive in Korea on the 16th of May and departed the next day on the 17th. Reportedly it is circling back to Japan for a stop in Hiroshima with an estimated time of arrival as the 21st.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northcar View Post
Still no indication whether the Demeter Leader will circle the globe by heading west directly to Europe or if it will back track to the Americas and reenter the Panama Canal to return the way it came. The Demeter Leader ship positioning website does confirm that it did arrive in Korea on the 16th of May and departed the next day on the 17th. Reportedly it is circling back to Japan for a stop in Hiroshima with an estimated time of arrival as the 21st.
It is now Memorial Day (actually the 26th) and the ship continues with additional ports of call in Japan. Apparently after Hiroshima it went to Nakanoseki, leaving there today and is now headed to Kobe.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:35 AM
Aviator

Mein Auto: cars with studded tires
Quote:
Originally Posted by les bois View Post
I just called....no record of mine having been received at VPC yet one week after the ship arriving in port. Seems odd, but this if my first experience with ED.
Not unusual at all.

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles
Old 06-01-2015, 09:54 AM

Following the continued travels of the Demeter Leader

Quote:
It is now Memorial Day (actually the 26th) and the ship continues with additional ports of call in Japan. Apparently after Hiroshima it went to Nakanoseki, leaving there today and is now headed to Kobe.
The journey continues.

After adding additional ports in Japan to include Yokohama on 5/28, Yakosuke on the 29th, and ultimately Nagoya on the final day of May, the Good Ship Demeter Leader has now departed both the port of Nagoya and the country of Japan with its next destination Taipai with an estimated time of arrival of June 4th.

Given Nagoya's proximity to Toyota City and the car factories there, coupled with the two day stay there it is a good guess that the ship is now loaded with Toyotas for export.

Still no confirmation of whether the ship will eventually return back through the Panama Canal or head Westward to return to Europe.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:39 AM

"Underway with engine" in the South China Sea. Ship has departed Taipai with an Estimated Arrival of June 9th at its next port, Singapore.

The Demeter Leader's ship positioning website for more up to date position reporting:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/details/ships/shipid:410373/mmsi:352745000/imo:9477921/vesselEMETER_LEADER
Old 06-05-2015, 02:39 AM

duplicate post

Last edited by Northcar; 06-05-2015 at 02:40 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by les bois View Post
Just curious. How long did it eventually take for you to reconnect with your red ride? I assume there was at least an additional week to get from Port Hueneme to Seattle? Did it look as great on redelivery as it did there when I photographed it at the drop off location in Munich?

By the way, continuing on with the saga of our transport ship, the Demeter Leader, it is now "Underway using engine" in the Malacca Strait, having just departed from Singapore with its next destination Hambantota, Sri Lanka with an ETA of 6/13.

Here is a photo of its sister ship, Leo Leader, moored at the port there in Hambantota, Sri Lanka on a prior port of call:

Last edited by Northcar; 06-21-2015 at 11:02 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:18 PM

BMW 435i xDrive Convertible - M-Sport, Mineral Grey,Coral Red Interior + Leather Dash

For completeness, here are a few shots of our European Delivery vehicle here on American shores:

As to the present location of the transport ship Demeter Leader, it has now departed from Sri Lanka though unclear yet if it will continue West to circle the globe.

Last edited by Northcar; 06-14-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 325 xiT
Nice looking ride Northcar! Enjoy the sunshine.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:54 PM

Mystery solved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinkarkhanis View Post
Nice looking ride Northcar! Enjoy the sunshine.

Much thanks.

We now know the answer to the mystery of whether the transport ship would be heading back through the Panama Canal or continuing on to circle the globe.

As to the continuing journey of our BMW's transit ship since dropping off the car at California's Port Hueneme near Oxnard, after continuing on to Japan and then to China and Sri Lanka, there has been a dearth of positioning data for over a week.

Just moments ago a reporting came in that the good ship Demeter Leader is now moored in the port of Jeddah near Mecca. Jeddah is on the Red Sea and clearly the ship will be heading northward to enter the Suez Canal and then on into the Mediterranean with a likely return to Bremerhaven before its next venture across the Atlantic to deliver BMWs to the Americas.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:24 PM

Mein Auto: 435i M-Sport Convertible
What are the chances?

Quote:
Much thanks.

We now know the answer to the mystery of whether the transport ship would be heading back through the Panama Canal or continuing on to circle the globe.

As to the continuing journey of our BMW's transit ship since dropping off the car at California's Port Hueneme near Oxnard, after continuing on to Japan and then to China and Sri Lanka, there has been a dearth of positioning data for over a week.

Just moments ago a reporting came in that the good ship Demeter Leader is now moored in the port of Jeddah near Mecca. Jeddah is on the Red Sea and clearly the ship will be heading northward to enter the Suez Canal and then on into the Mediterranean with a likely return to Bremerhaven before its next venture across the Atlantic to deliver BMWs to the Americas.
After tracking the Auto Carrier ship Demeter Leader and learning it headed to Japan after dropping off my car at Port Hueneme in California I just happened to be in Japan last Saturday when I glanced from the window of the bus taking me to Narita airport and there as I looked down from the Yokohama Bay Bridge was an exact duplicate of the NYK Line's Demeter Leader in the harbor below me. The Demeter Leader's sister ship there was the Aphrodite Leader. As the bus sped on loaded car carrier after car carrier came from the opposite direction, presumably to off load their cars onto the docked Leader.

Last edited by 1northcar; 07-21-2015 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:47 AM

Photo Confirmation of the Transit Ship Sighting in Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1northcar View Post
After tracking the Auto Carrier ship Demeter Leader and learning it headed to Japan after dropping off my car at Port Hueneme in California I just happened to be in Japan last Saturday when I glanced from the window of the bus taking me to Narita airport and there as I looked down from the Yokohama Bay Bridge was an exact duplicate of the NYK Line's Demeter Leader in the harbor below me. The Demeter Leader's sister ship there was the Aphrodite Leader. As the bus sped on loaded car carrier after car carrier came from the opposite direction, presumably to off load their cars onto the docked Leader.

Following up on the surprising coincidence ------

OK, here are some still captures from the video camera I had just by chance had running. These photos visually evidence the above described unexpected sighting of the NYK Demeter Leader sister transit ship, the Aphrodite Leader, just as I was crossing on the Yokohama Bay Bridge: (And yes, that is me and my companion in the bus's rear view mirror!)

And here is one of the carr carriers that blurred by apparently transporting vehicles to unload onto the subject car carrier transit ship docked there in Yokohama:

For comparison here is a photo of the NYK Ship Demeter Leader that accompanied the positioning report when it was transporting my car through the Panama Canal. From comparing the photos above one can see that it is an exact twin of the NYK Ship Aphrodite Leader:

Last edited by Northcar; 07-30-2015 at 10:39 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery
Today's Posts Search