2012 X5d running costs - Page 4 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 03-30-2019, 09:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to Rossonero3
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X5 4.4i
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Turbo’s are least of concern. It is emission system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So it sounds like you've experienced emissions related problem, were they out of warranty period? What were and how many issues did you have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2019, 09:28 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Personally I love the smell of diesel in the morning.

Agree w others- turbos least of your worries. ('Worry of turbos' is a throwback to the 1970/80s when they were first engineered...)

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 03-31-2019, 12:13 PM

Mein Auto: X5, LC500h, GTR, Camry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossonero3 View Post
When do these problems start occurring and what specifically is the issue or parts related?

Most of them are DPF/FAP related. In EU diesels are subject to fire sale all over.
Many cities forbid driving in with a diesel now. Those are no longer diesels
of reliability that could use McDonald's used fries oil. The ecology killed the sense of a diesel.

Issues are not necessarily TIME or MILEAGE oriented but driving environment related.
If you drive a FAP/DPF equipped diesel in the city it clogs up and to replace one
it is thousands of dollars. In EU in Eastern block some people try to cut the DPF/FAP out.
In most of EU now for example driving such car is subject to enormous fines.

As a European and a Californian, I strongly advise you to not even consider a diesel.
In EU for example, people prefer to get X5 gasoline X5 N52B30 and install LPG.
In some countries like Italy or the Netherlands LPG installations are extremely common.
You can buy LPG at ANY station essentially.
Same costs of running. No issues of the same caliber as a factory equipped diesel. HUGE fuel savings with LPG.
LPG in EU is as common as gasoline. And your car can run LPG or gasoline alternatingly. I wish LPG
could be pumped in US.

Do not get a diesel. The benefits or imaginary savings in fuel costs are order of magnitude below what it will cost you to keep it running.
ecology killed diesel. diesel X5s in Germany (even though ALL X5 are MADE IN US) are CHEAPER than in US! yes cheaper than on the market
where they are MADE.

A freind has a GL 420CDI as well...insanity of that is that in addition to diesel fuel he needs to buy AdBlue.... LOL... here come the savings...
sure ..more torque...yet the image of a rural peasant driving a tractor comes free

Last edited by tadeusz.tomasze; 03-31-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2019, 02:07 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Personally I love the smell of diesel in the morning.
In honor of 29 March American Viet Nam Veterans Day: "Colonel Kilgore: You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. ... Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadeusz.tomasze View Post
Most of them are DPF/FAP related. In EU diesels are subject to fire sale all over.
Many cities forbid driving in with a diesel now. Those are no longer diesels
of reliability that could use McDonald's used fries oil. The ecology killed the sense of a diesel.

Issues are not necessarily TIME or MILEAGE oriented but driving environment related.
If you drive a FAP/DPF equipped diesel in the city it clogs up and to replace one
it is thousands of dollars. In EU in Eastern block some people try to cut the DPF/FAP out.
In most of EU now for example driving such car is subject to enormous fines.

As a European and a Californian, I strongly advise you to not even consider a diesel.
In EU for example, people prefer to get X5 gasoline X5 N52B30 and install LPG.
In some countries like Italy or the Netherlands LPG installations are extremely common.
You can buy LPG at ANY station essentially.
Same costs of running. No issues of the same caliber as a factory equipped diesel. HUGE fuel savings with LPG.
LPG in EU is as common as gasoline. And your car can run LPG or gasoline alternatingly. I wish LPG
could be pumped in US.

Do not get a diesel. The benefits or imaginary savings in fuel costs are order of magnitude below what it will cost you to keep it running.
ecology killed diesel. diesel X5s in Germany (even though ALL X5 are MADE IN US) are CHEAPER than in US! yes cheaper than on the market
where they are MADE.

A freind has a GL 420CDI as well...insanity of that is that in addition to diesel fuel he needs to buy AdBlue.... LOL... here come the savings...
sure ..more torque...yet the image of a rural peasant driving a tractor comes free

+1

After having poisoned the air of whole EU by the diesels promoted by the VW group and followed up by other manufacturers., they woke up to the the environmental disaster after VW was exposed in the USA.

Why buy diesel when gasoline turbos give the same low-end torque. Diesel is more expensive then gas in the USA.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:44 AM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
Quote:
Just read through this thread, some great info and pictures, thank you! I have been contemplating buying a used 35d and came across one with 87k miles, for less than $20k, looks like a pretty good deal to me. Couple of questions...any worry about the turbos going bad and needing replacement? Anything in particular i should try and find out about this car from the dealer? (it's not a BMW dealer so likely they will not have any maintenance info).

Thanks!
Thanks for the feedback.
You got some great feedback from some and not so great feedback from others. Typical...

The diesel is a great option for the X5, but it really depends on your driving profile and it also has some gotchas - which is true of virtually every BMW drive train.

If your commute is short distance in city stop and go sort of drives, you're better off with a gas version. If your commutes get some highway driving then it makes more sense, the reason being that any engine really needs to warm up in order to function properly, but it is particularly true of the diesel as it needs to warm up for the DPF regen to take place.

If the above checks all your boxes, then turbos would not be the main item to worry about. As stated the emissions components are the Achilles' heel of the diesel, but thankfully BMW has extended coverage to 10 years and 120k miles some 150k miles but I forget which. It's not a question of if they will fail, but when.

Other than that at 87k miles I would hope it has had more oil changes than recommended by BMW, but you probably will not know. If I bought it I would earmark $$$ to replace all fluids (Trans, diff, TC) and also replace the thermostat if it turns out to be weak which it will if it has not been replaced yet. This is applicable to any used BMW of that mileage of unknown provenance and history, not specific to the diesel (thermostat excepted.)

In regards to environment considerations, I sleep well at night. My tail pipes are squeaky clean and I pass the mandatory yearly dyno and emissions sniff test with flying colors. I know what my car emits and I have a yearly report to prove it. I'm not considering a delete of emissions components.
2013 Cooper S
2007 650i - 6 speed
2002 330ci convertible - 5 speed

Past:
2012 X5 Diesel
2012 Countryman S All4 - 6 speed
2006 Cooper S - 6 speed
2006 330i - 6 speed
1997 328is - 5 speed
1991 318is - 5 speed
1988 635csi - 5 speed
1988 325i convertible - 5 speed
1969 2002 with tii and 5 speed conversions
Old 04-01-2019, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
Thanks for the feedback.
You got some great feedback from some and not so great feedback from others. Typical...

The diesel is a great option for the X5, but it really depends on your driving profile and it also has some gotchas - which is true of virtually every BMW drive train.

If your commute is short distance in city stop and go sort of drives, you're better off with a gas version. If your commutes get some highway driving then it makes more sense, the reason being that any engine really needs to warm up in order to function properly, but it is particularly true of the diesel as it needs to warm up for the DPF regen to take place.

If the above checks all your boxes, then turbos would not be the main item to worry about. As stated the emissions components are the Achilles' heel of the diesel, but thankfully BMW has extended coverage to 10 years and 120k miles some 150k miles but I forget which. It's not a question of if they will fail, but when.

Other than that at 87k miles I would hope it has had more oil changes than recommended by BMW, but you probably will not know. If I bought it I would earmark $$$ to replace all fluids (Trans, diff, TC) and also replace the thermostat if it turns out to be weak which it will if it has not been replaced yet. This is applicable to any used BMW of that mileage of unknown provenance and history, not specific to the diesel (thermostat excepted.)

In regards to environment considerations, I sleep well at night. My tail pipes are squeaky clean and I pass the mandatory yearly dyno and emissions sniff test with flying colors. I know what my car emits and I have a yearly report to prove it. I'm not considering a delete of emissions components.

Thank you for this information and your well informed opinion. This car would be for my wife who primarily drives locally in the city/suburbs of Boston MA, where her job, son's school, etc etc are all within a few miles... we'd probably rode trip up to Montreal or Quebec City from time to time, but obviously 90% of the driving will be city, so this car or any other diesel probably does not make sense.

We used to a 2006 X5 V8, that car was good for a while but then it started with minor electrical quirks and the V8 engine started having major issues, luckily the 1st time was under warranty to the tune of $7k. After that they never really fixed the problem properly of the rough idle in really cold weather, ultimately the dealer started to tell us that these cars "were not meant to be in cold weather"...are you f***ing kidding me??? Anyways, aside from those problems the X5 has always been my favorite SUV on the road. My wife just turned in a Mercedes GLC300 which was very nice, but i felt like their electronics system was overly complicated and I hated the shifter on the steering column as well as the washer control arm was where every other car has the turn signal,ugh. ...Sorry to get off track, I'll probably turn my attention to the V6 models, or MAYBE the V8, but i'll be doing much research first.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary214 View Post
+1

After having poisoned the air of whole EU by the diesels promoted by the VW group and followed up by other manufacturers., they woke up to the the environmental disaster after VW was exposed in the USA.

Why buy diesel when gasoline turbos give the same low-end torque. Diesel is more expensive then gas in the USA.

I hear you. Remember that for me specifically, I'm not going to a dealership and selecting a diesel over other NEW models, i'm looking around for used cars, so when a VERY nice X5 diesel shows up on a local lot and it's my wife's preferred color combo, white w/ tan leather, and it's very well equipped (seems like the diesels always get a mid-top range standard equip) it's very tempting, which is why i'm querying the folks here. I appreciate greatly all the feedback.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
I'll probably turn my attention to the V6 models, or MAYBE the V8, but i'll be doing much research first.
I'd look for a 6 cylinder gas then, it seems to be the least troublesome. The only real problem is the water pump but it gives a clear warning when it's time for a new one and it's not an obscenely expensive repair.

Note that they are inline 6 engines, not V. The V8's in the E70 are prone to leak; while they are terrific to drive they will eventually require resealing and it's not cheap. They're also going to use quite a bit of fuel. I seem to recall a recent article where BMW had to stop selling some N63 equipped cars in Europe (the M550i IIRC) due to excessive emissions and fuel consumption, so not exactly a green car award contender.
2013 Cooper S
2007 650i - 6 speed

Past:
2012 X5 Diesel
2006 Cooper S - 6 speed
2006 330i - 6 speed
1997 328is - 5 speed
1991 318is - 5 speed
1988 635csi - 5 speed

Last edited by FredoinSF; 04-01-2019 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:29 AM
Kinda officially welcomed

Mein Auto: E70 LCI 35d
Quote:
Just read through this thread, some great info and pictures, thank you! I have been contemplating buying a used 35d and came across one with 87k miles, for less than $20k, looks like a pretty good deal to me. Couple of questions...any worry about the turbos going bad and needing replacement? Anything in particular i should try and find out about this car from the dealer? (it's not a BMW dealer so likely they will not have any maintenance info).

Thanks!
If you can have someone run the service history at BMW, they might be able to tell you if the car you are looking at has extended warranty for the emission related equipment. Like 10yr/120k.

E39 528i/5 Sport
E28 535is
E84 X1 35ix M package
E38 740i Sport
E39 M5 LMB/Blk
Old 08-20-2019, 01:00 PM

2012 X5d running costs

Hit 100k miles yesterday. Still no issues and continue to be very pleased with this car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0635.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	861699

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
2013 Cooper S
2007 650i - 6 speed

Past:
2012 X5 Diesel
2006 Cooper S - 6 speed
2006 330i - 6 speed
1997 328is - 5 speed
1991 318is - 5 speed
1988 635csi - 5 speed

Last edited by FredoinSF; 08-20-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 xdrive35d White
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
Hit 100k miles yesterday. Still no issues and continue to be very pleased with this car.

Attachment 861699

Awesome to hear Fredo! Just caught up on this post.. really like the write up you did too!
Old 08-20-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010xdrive35d View Post
Awesome to hear Fredo! Just caught up on this post.. really like the write up you did too!
Thanks!
2013 Cooper S
2007 650i - 6 speed

Past:
2012 X5 Diesel
2006 Cooper S - 6 speed
2006 330i - 6 speed
1997 328is - 5 speed
1991 318is - 5 speed
1988 635csi - 5 speed
Old 10-12-2019, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto:
Good day
I purchased a 2018 X5 d a few months ago and love it!
I would like to have it until it reaches at least 200k
I drive mostly highway miles (600 miles a week)

Am I dreaming about obtains this many miles

Thank you for any advise
Cheers
Old 01-26-2020, 04:23 PM

2012 X5d running costs

Yesterday was a bittersweet day; the X5 went to a new owner so I am updating this thread one more time with the final recap of adventures and running costs.

As much as I love the X5 I had a bad case of new car fever. I drove a G30 540i when they first came out and really liked it. Since that test drive, every time I saw a nice G30 on the road the little voice inside my head would exclaim: "Bitch got my car!". I started driving various CPO BMW's a few months back (F15 & G05 X5, G01 X3, G11 7's, F10 & G30 5's) and decided to focus my search on two models: G30 540i x-drive and F15 X5 diesel. I had lengthy must have list of equipment but after nearly two months of stalking the BMW CPO site almost daily, I found the right car and pulled the trigger. If anyone is interested, I posted the obligatory new car thread here: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1360965

Back to the X5. It was another busy ten or so months since the last update with lots of driving up and down Donner Pass. Lots of snow which made for a very dirty car at times, followed by some very satisfying cleaning and detailing.

Name:	IMG_1614.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	879921

Name:	IMG_1610.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	879923

Name:	IMG_9189.jpg
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	879915

Name:	IMG_9188.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	879917

Name:	IMG_9192.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	879919

Last summer I embarked on a complete remodel of our Reno residence. We tore down the kitchen and all bathrooms down to the studs and floorboards, reconfigured the fireplace, replaced every square foot of flooring, new baseboards, door casings, lighting, paint, etc... I was my own contractor, did quite a bit of the demolition and painting so it was a crazy busy time. Where the X5 comes in is that it was the beast of burden for that project as it hauled all the flooring, tile, paint, and towed several trailer fulls of construction debris to the dump where once again I was the only person to show up with a BMW The remodel took priority over triathlons so other than a couple biking and running events, there was little sporting goods carrying going on.

Name:	IMG_9946.jpg
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	879925

Name:	IMG_0633.jpg
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	879931

Name:	IMG_0879.jpg
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	879927

Name:	IMG_0880.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	879929

Name:	IMG_1116.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	879933

The remodel was finished just before a cousin her husband and their two kids came to visit from France in October. There was a tour of National parks and the CA coast which added some miles. At the tail end of their trip we were at our home in Healdsburg CA where we had planned to do a half marathon through wine country for family fun. The Kincaid fire changed our plans and we were forced to evacuate the day before the race. My partner took the dogs and one of the kids in his car, I took the adults their other kid along with all our luggage in the X5 and we headed for the Reno home. The diesel proved its worth as we headed out with 70 miles of range, faced horrendous traffic jams, and every fuel station in Sonoma county had lines that stretched for blocks. I decided to test the range and refuel once we were on I80 where I figured there would be no lines and risk of shortage after waiting and the bet paid off. What a day it was...

Name:	IMG_1666.JPG
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	879947

Name:	IMG_1197.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	879935

So about those costs since the last update...
Running costs per mile went from $.29 to $.28.
I expected repairs but there were none and I think this is important. When I started this thread, nearly every new post had to do with whether it was advisable or not to purchase an aftermarket warranty. The consensus seemed to be that owning a BMW out of warranty was a sure way to bankruptcy (ok, I'm exaggerating, but not by much), however, given my past experience with BMW's, I disagree completely and would respond that the warranty was a waste of money. So I decided to document the journey with my car and assess whether my decision to not spend $4k on a warranty was the right one. It was.
Maintenance wise, I had a shop do the transmission, transfer case, and differential fluids. I also DIY'd the fuel filter, so costs went up a tiny bit. This was offset by having stocked up on motor oil and not having to purchase any during this period.
Wear parts ended up being none, but there is an asterisk, two actually. First is that CBS has been stuck at 2,100 miles remaining for the front brakes for three to four months. I purchased new front rotors, pads, and sensor from FCP Euro during Black Friday sale. Also, during the summer, the car developed a tiny vibration which I believe is caused by worn out front tension strut bushings. I purchased new ones at the same time as the brakes intending to install these parts all at once, but I never got around to it. Where the asterisk part comes in is that the new owner, who is a friend of mine and happens to be a car girl, purchased the parts from me so the net on wear parts for this update is zero. If I had not sold the car the cost for those parts would have been $435.
In regards to tires, I did not need to purchase new ones and had no repairs. In addition I sold my winter wheels and tire set for $400 (tires were worn out). That explains why the tire spend went down so much.

When I first started the thread, there was a lot of chatter about my cost per mile numbers being invalid because depreciation was not considered. I did not really care because at the time I was only interested in running costs particularly having to do with repairs over time, so to me throwing SWAG's on depreciation for a car I had no intention of selling at the time was silly and pointless. Now that the car is sold and I have actual numbers, I will tackle the topic of depreciation. In a word: depressing. The sticker on my car was $73k. I bought it when it had 8 month and 11k miles of use for $53k. While I felt $50k would have been closer to market value I had been looking for a while, this one was at my local Reno dealer, and it had all my must haves for colors and equipment so I bought it and don't regret it. Fast forward to recent months, I had the X5 assessed for trade in value during the new car search and it was really disheartening. My car is heavily optioned and in really nice condition with perfect trim and materials inside and out, clean engine bay, shiny paint, clear headlights, good tires, etc and I got offers from $7-8k for trade. I ended up selling it to a friend for $11,500 and she bought the wear parts on top so I have a check for nearly $12k. Maybe I could have gotten a little more selling it to a stranger, but everything I saw pointed to a $11-12k private party value and I know that the extra maintenance I did to it will pay off for my friend. On top of that she also takes very good care of her cars so it is in good hands. She is thrilled. My depreciation cost per mile is $.48...

Here is the cost per mile chart and the last pictures of the X5 taken yesterday during a hike with new owner and one of my dogs who is still considers the X5 as his car. I will miss the X5.

Name:	1580083327768blob.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	879943

Name:	IMG_1653.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	879939

Name:	IMG_1660.jpg
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	879941

Wishing you all the best with your E70's and may you all enjoy yours as much as I enjoyed mine for nearly seven years.

Signing off.

Fred

2013 Cooper S
2007 650i - 6 speed

Past:
2012 X5 Diesel
2006 Cooper S - 6 speed
2006 330i - 6 speed
1997 328is - 5 speed
1991 318is - 5 speed
1988 635csi - 5 speed

Last edited by FredoinSF; 01-26-2020 at 04:35 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search