320i from HELL - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 02:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 320RIP
320i from HELL

320i from HELL

*LATEST UPDATE:

BUILD:

How to make your 320i into a beast. This will put 328s in your mirror as you pull up on 335s.

JB4 - This is an amazing engine tune. With the 320i and a piggyback tune, I either recommend the JB4 for going stage 2 and beyond, or the Dinan stage 1 if you are conservative. Honestly though, the JB4 is no joke and a WHOLE lot faster. The map 5 setting is specifically for the 320i and adapts to your car and driving style. Plus the more you open up the turbo with other bolt on mods the better the engine parameters adapt to improve performance.

FMIC - To allow for the jb4 to crack the code on your engine performance and boost levels, you are going to need a bigger front mount intercooler. This one from Evolution Racewerks is HUGE and certainly does the trick. It brings cooler air to your engine meaning lower temperature and better ignition timing. Looking over data logs before and after the intercooler you will also notice more on target boost levels.

Catless Downpipe Compare this with your stock downpipe. It is completely hollow, whereas the stock is catted with mesh screens that constrict flow out to the exhaust. Your car is going to sound a whole lot better! And smell good too. (Evolution Racewerks)

Charge pipe. - Higher psi means getting rid of your stock plastic charge pipe before letting it break under pressure. (Evolution Racewerks)

Wheels I saved my 17" wheels for the track and turned to these as something a little more classy for the streets. These staggered 20" Rohanna's are spun forged making them nice and light. Four months with them in LA and no issues whatsoever. Blow up tires got me riding comfortably as well.

Coilovers - One of the nice things about a no-line f30 is that you can replace your floaty stock suspension with a new set of coilovers. These BC coilovers are only $900-$1000, fully adjustable, and vastly improve the handling, body roll, ride height, and appearance. I've got to shout out need4speed here for making it sit so nice on these big wheels!

Exhaust - One of the first things I did to my car was the exhaust. Hearing the engine is one of the most rewarding parts of modding your n20. Huge improvement over stock. Plus as you add other bolt on parts such as the downpipe it further modifies the sound. Evolution Racewerks DP and Remus exhaust and my car sounds sick. Burbles on start up and idle and roars when you give it some gas.

Intake - Many people on this forum will argue that there is no point in adding an intake, and that the gains are negligible. I totally disagree. Gains aside, this is the most indulgent, most tech, badass, sounding thing about the car. Hearing the turbo spool up, woosh, hiss, it's addicting... Hearing the turbo as you feel it swelling up off the line is a big part of predicting the boost of the car and timing my shifts. I wouldn't hesitate to add one. Plus in conjunction with the other mods that help the turbo breath, I can't imagine it doesn't add some degree of gains. I certainly get a lot of torque at low rpms, especially in 2nd gear. The boost is practically immediate, wheels spin, and it hits you like a ton of bricks. Not going to say this is due to the intake, but it sure sounds like it. (Injen Intake)

Two things that make this build interesting...

1. Choosing no-line over msport. Personally I love the way the stock body looks, especially with a low profile and flush wheels. Additionally, custom coilover suspension rides like a sports car and is fully adjustable. Besides, if you're like me and want aftermarket wheels anyways, then it might be a no brainer. The only issue for me was the steering wheel, but I purchased a beautiful new msport wheel with paddles from someone on this forum for $800 including airbag. You can pay BMW to do these things to your car, or you can chose to do these upgrades yourself and potentially save money as well.

2. Choosing an i4 over an i6, and even crazier, choosing a 320i over a 328i. Think about this... with simply the money saved between buying a 320i and a 328i, you can pretty much strategically buy everything above. I got a sweet deal on my 320i (with angle eyes and power seats) for around only 30k. It has nearly the same tuning ceiling as the 328i, reaching beyond stock 335i levels with high boost and high octane gas. Ironically it will also be the lightest and most efficient option out of all three, making it the most practical for the city and in maybe the most fun to throw around at the track. I can easily waste both rear tires drifting around the track for a couple hours. The power weight and balence of the car feel perfect now. A lot of bang for the buck in this less than 40k build. Swagger too, especially if you opt for some 20"s ; )

Feel free to post your own modding experiences. I will also be adding datalogs, dynos, and pics of the new steering wheel and HIDs once installed.

Last edited by BMWtight2me; 03-09-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2016, 05:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWtight2me View Post

How to make your 320i into a beast. This will put 328s in your mirror as you pull up on 335s.

JB4 - This is an amazing engine tune. With the 320i and a piggyback tune I either recommend the JB4 for going stage 2 and beyond, or the Dinan stage 1 if you are conservative. Honestly though, the JB4 is no joke and a WHOLE lot faster. The map 5 setting is specifically for the 320i and adapts to your car and driving style. Plus the more you open up the turbo with other bolt on mods the better the engine parameters adapt to improve performance.

FMIC - To allow for the jb4 to crack the code on your engine performance and boost levels, you are going to need a bigger front mount intercooler. This one from Evolution Racewerks is HUGE and certainly does the trick. It brings cooler air to your turbo meaning lower temperature and better ignition timing. Looking over data logs before and after the intercooler you will also notice more on target boost levels.

Catless Downpipe Compare this with your stock downpipe. It is completely hollow, whereas the stock is catted with mesh screens that constrict flow out to the exhaust. Your car is going to sound a whole lot better! And smell good too. (Evolution Racewerks)

Charge pipe. - Higher psi means getting rid of your stock plastic charge pipe before letting it break under pressure. (Evolution Racewerks)

Wheels I saved my 17" wheels for the track and s for something a little more classy for the streets. These 20" Rohanna's are spun forged making them nice and light. Four months with them in LA and no issues whatsoever. Blow up tires got me riding comfortably as well.

Coilovers - One of the nice things about a no-line f30 is that you can replace your floaty stock suspension with a new set of coilovers. These BC coilovers are only $900-$1000, fully adjustable, and vastly improve the handling, body roll, ride height, and appearance.

Exhaust - One of the first things I did to my car was the exhaust. Hearing the engine is one of the most rewarding parts of modding your n20. Huge improvement over stock. Plus as you add other bolt on parts such as the downpipe it further modifies the sound. Evolution Racewerks DP and Remus exhaust and my car sounds sick. Burbles on start up and idle and roars when you give it some gas.

Intake - Many people on this forum will argue that there is no point in adding an intake, and that the gains are negligible. I totally disagree. Gains aside, this is the most indulgent, most tech, badass, sounding thing about the car. Hearing the turbo spoil up, woosh, hiss, it's addicting... Hearing the turbo as you feel it swelling up off the line is a big part of predicting the boost of the car and timing my shifts. I wouldn't hesitate to add one. Plus in conjunction with the other mods that help the turbo breath, I can't imagine it doesn't add some degree of gains. I certainly get a lot of torque at low rpms, especially in 2nd gear. The boost is practically immediate, wheels spin, and it hits you like a ton of bricks. Not going to say this is due to the intake, but it sure sounds like it. (Injen Intake)

Two things that make this build interesting...

1. Choosing no-line over msport. Personally I love the way the stock body looks, especially with a low profile and flush wheels. Additionally, custom coilover suspension rides like a sports car and is fully adjustable. Besides, if you're like me and want aftermarket wheels anyways, then it might be a no brainer. The only issue for me was the steering wheel, but I purchased a beautiful new msport wheel with paddles from someone on this forum for $800 including airbag. You can pay BMW to do these things to your car, or you can chose to do these upgrades yourself and potentially save money as well.

2. Choosing an i4 over an i6, and even crazier, choosing a 320i over a 328i. Think about this... with simply the money saved between buying a 320i and a 328i, you can pretty much strategically buy everything above. I got a sweet deal on my 320i (with angle eyes and power seats) for around only 30k. It has nearly the same tuning ceiling as the 328i, reaching beyond stock 335i levels with high boost and high octane gas. Ironically it will also be the lightest and most efficient option out of all three, making it the most practical for the city and in maybe the most fun to throw around at the track. I can easily waste both rear tires drifting around the track for a couple hours. The power weight and balence of the car feel perfect now. A lot of bang for the buck in this less than 40k build. Swagger too, especially if you opt for some 20"s ; )

Feel free to post your own modding experiences. I will also be adding datalogs, dynos, and pics of the new steering wheel and HIDs once installed.
That's interesting. I think my 320i with ZSP, ZLP and 6MT is from heaven.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:40 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
To allow for the jb4 to crack the code on your engine performance and boost levels, you are going to need a bigger front mount intercooler. This one from Evolution Racewerks is HUGE and certainly does the trick. It brings cooler air to your turbo meaning lower temperature and better ignition timing.
Just the pedant in me speaking, but this statement is wrong. The FMIC is after the turbo, not before it.

Nice looking car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2016, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: Silver 2012 328 I Sedan
Sweet setup! Love all the mods. Wish I could get the down pipes and charge pipe but not legal for sale in California.
2012 328i Sedan - Glacier Silver - 18" Toyo Tires with NĂ¼rburgring Metal Grey Rims, H&R Sport Springs, GIAC Tune, VRSF Intercooler, aFe Air Filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, Carbon Fiber accents, SS Pedals, Lloyd Luxe floor mats, BMW CCA member since 2015. First Bimmer - 2000 Z3 M. Third Bimmer 2014 X1 Sdrive 28i See more...
Old 06-03-2016, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i
Care to post your damage for all these mods, so the peasants among us can determine if it's worth it? Please include labor+all the parts above.

Last edited by like2ace; 06-03-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:06 AM

Here is what I paid:

Jb4 (used) -- 400
ER FMIC (2nd hand new) -- 700
ER DP (used) -- 300
Remus Exhaust (new) -- 1400
Injen Intake (new) -- 400
Rohanna Wheels (amazing deal at neeed4speed motorsports) -- wheels coils and tires for around 2k
Coilovers -- 900
ER chargepipes (used) -- 300
Steering wheel and bag (2nd hand new) -- 800

I did one thing at a time with at least a month between each mod. If you space it out it doesn't hurt as much, plus you get to appreciate the evolution in performance. I have come to appreciate my car so much more than I ever expected.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Here is what I paid:

Jb4 (used) -- 400
ER FMIC (2nd hand new) -- 700
ER DP (used) -- 300
Remus Exhaust (new) -- 1400
Injen Intake (new) -- 400
Rohanna Wheels (amazing deal at neeed4speed motorsports) -- wheels coils and tires for around 2k
Coilovers -- 900
ER chargepipes (used) -- 300
Steering wheel and bag (2nd hand new) -- 800

I did one thing at a time with at least a month between each mod. If you space it out it doesn't hurt as much, plus you get to appreciate the evolution in performance. I have come to appreciate my car so much more than I ever expected.
What is the labor cost if not DIY on the above mods? The parts alone are close to $7k .... maybe a stock 340i is an affordable peasant's choice?

Last edited by namelessman; 06-03-2016 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
What is the labor cost if not DIY on the above mods?
Not too much actually. Only around 1k total in labor. I did a couple things myself and went to need4speed, mod-bargains, and pit stop motor tuning for the rest.

The mods total up to less than 6k.

Add that to the price tag on the car and you wouldnt even come close to the 340i cost. In fact The comparable no-line 2015 328i that I considered buying was 6.5k more than the sticker price of my 320i. Seeing as 340is are truly in the 40k-50k budget range, I see my car as the best performing and coolest looking custom f30 solution for between 35k-40k (mods included).

I would honestly recommend the exact same mods on any f30, I just was drawn to the 320i for its amazing tuning potential with the lowest price tag, light weight (lightest gas model in the fleet, even lighter than the 2 series surprisingly), and best gas consumption.

Last edited by BMWtight2me; 06-03-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Awesome car but our ad agency was right...black cars don't photograph well.
E92 335i 6MT
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 06-03-2016, 10:28 AM

They actually photograph really well! It's just extra tricky.

The black reflects light and creates super high contrast highlights. You just need to photograph it super properly and be aware of exactly how the light and and any objects are reflecting on the car. I am no professional photographer, but the lighting at this location lent itself well to shots, and I think the photos have a nice dramatic, dark look.

Personally, I love the way details appear on black. It also helps to black out other areas like the wheels to balence the details well and not overshadow the contours of the car body.

Hope to post more shots soon experimenting with light painting.

Last edited by BMWtight2me; 06-03-2016 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
They actually photograph really well! It's just extra tricky.

The black reflects light and creates super high contrast highlights. You just need to photograph it super properly and be aware of exactly how the light and and any objects are reflecting on the car. I am no professional photographer, but the lighting at this location lent itself well to shots, and I think the photos have a nice dramatic, dark look.

Personally, I love the way details appear on black. It also helps to black out other areas like the wheels to balence the details well and not overshadow the contours of the car body.

Hope to post more shots soon experimenting with light painting.
Noted. Was the black background intentional?
E92 335i 6MT
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 06-03-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
Noted. Was the black background intentional?
I would have happily taken a nice ocean backdrop and an empty skyline! It had more to do with making use of that location. I tried to compose it in such a way as to embrace the dark in the shot (but more pop against the background would be ideal). This was shot on the set of a Zito wheels shoot, where they were photographing my buddies white M3.

My car does lurk the streets of Downtown though, so its only appropriate.

Last edited by BMWtight2me; 06-03-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:02 PM

Thanks cracked! Any plans for modifying that 2016 328i yet?

Last edited by BMWtight2me; 06-03-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: '16 328i
Quote:
Thanks cracked! Any plans for modifying that 2016 328i yet?

Nah, I'm ok with just the way it is. I used to mod years ago, but I've gotten too lazy these days... Up until December I had a 320 but managed to get a year end deal lets just say on a '16 LCI... I'm just happy with my adaptive led's, saddle, and Nav... Gettin' old lol!
Old 06-03-2016, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: '16 328i
Actually, check that, if I do, do anything, it's gonna be in the coding side of the house... As soon as someone figures out how to restore the anti-dazzle, I'm there!
Old 06-03-2016, 04:24 PM

Nice. I have to do some coding work as well. Most importantly the "sport auto" feature (I believe it called 2TB?), which I need in order to activate the paddles and sport+.

Anyone recommend a good guy or shop for coding in LA? I tried reaching out to "Frogman" but never got a response.

Last edited by BMWtight2me; 06-03-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:29 PM
Evil cider brewer

Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport
There's a guy on here who does remote coding. Octopump I believe.

*NEW* delete pls 1K
Old 06-03-2016, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracked1 View Post
Actually, check that, if I do, do anything, it's gonna be in the coding side of the house... As soon as someone figures out how to restore the anti-dazzle, I'm there!
Previous forum posts that mention the US-spec and Euro-spec have different part# for headlight assembly, and coding anti-dazzle cannot get US-spec hardware to work correctly.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
What is the labor cost if not DIY on the above mods? The parts alone are close to $7k .... maybe a stock 340i is an affordable peasant's choice?
Many of had this chat with tight, but he thinks it's best to take a base car and dump 8-9K into when getting base 340 would be the wiser choice. But this is what make the world go around.

2016 328xi GT, A86, LCOM, ZDA, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, 494, 5AC, 5DF, 5DL, BMS Stage 1, Many coded goodies. ED 8-28-2015 Gone
Old 06-03-2016, 06:19 PM

Use your eagle eyes and check both your spelling and math this time.

This build cost me just shy of 7k total with labor. On top of the money spent on power gains, I was also able to include the best steering wheel, much better looking and sounding exhaust, and spun forged concave wheels that I far prefer over OEM. Taking a little time to complete each stage of mods gave me the chance to hunt for parts and deals.

In the end it only cost me the price of a stock no-line 328i to make my car faster and better looking (IMHO).

Not only that, but doing this means you have all you original parts on hand. Obviously selling OEM wheels, tires, exhaust, intake, and FMIC will make this whole process even cheaper... I actually love the OEM 17"s. They make a great extra set of wheels for the track. That alone is a big value for me.

Last edited by BMWtight2me; 06-03-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
It's time to be adults gentlemen. You are both being warned.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Quote:
Use your eagle eyes and check both your spelling and math this time.

This build cost me just shy of 7k total with labor. On top of the money spent on power gains, I was also able to include the best steering wheel, much better looking and sounding exhaust, and spun forged concave wheels that I far prefer over OEM. Taking a little time to complete each stage of mods gave me the chance to hunt for parts and deals.

In the end it only cost me the price of a stock no-line 328i to make my car faster and better looking (IMHO).

Not only that, but doing this means you have all you original parts on hand. Obviously selling OEM wheels, tires, exhaust, intake, and FMIC will make this whole process even cheaper... I actually love the OEM 17"s and the make a great extra set of wheels for the track. That alone is a big value for me.
According to your own numbers you have paid $7200.00 for parts including wheels and tires and about $1000.00 for labor.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sportline
When I saw the "from Hell" title, I thought you had a bunch of issues. Very nice car, nice mods, and hey, if it was worth it to you, then that's what matters.

2013 328i, ZSL, ZPP, 609, 255, ZMT
Old 06-03-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
According to your own numbers you have paid $7200.00 for parts including wheels and tires and about $1000.00 for labor.
Respect. Math game on lock. $8200 with labor is the correct estimate.

Still under 40k! And I went pretty extra with certain options tbh.

Owning one of these cars is a pretty personal thing. When analyzing total costs I stand by going with the 320/328. I like what is achievable for less than 40k with this platform. Buying a 335/340 would run over 40k and leave me with a stock car with similar performance, average looks, and worse mileage. Of course I would mod that, and that would be super fun, but then we're above 50k.

Last edited by BMWtight2me; 06-03-2016 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328i M Sport
My biggest issues versus stock it with how it looks, is you are much more likely to have a fight on you hands if you need warranty work. I also don't like the quad exhaust on anything other than M cars. Otherwise, looks good, and obviously makes you happy. I wonder how you would fair against my Dinan Stage 1, but otherwise stock 328i.

2014 328i Sedan, Estoril Blue, M-Sport package, M-Sport Brakes, Premium Package, Lighting Package, Drivers Assistance Package, Nav

Dinantronics Stage 1
Closed Thread

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
320i, 328i, bmw, coilovers, dinan, downpipe, evolution racewerks, f30, jb4, psi, rohanna, tuning, turbo, wheels

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search