2008 528i / Speaker Upgrade - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 06-26-2019, 02:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
2008 528i / Speaker Upgrade

Hi All,

I am looking to replace the old base system speakers in my 2008 528, and would be interested to know if any others on the forum have replaced their speakers, and what brand/ type where purchased. The sound from my existing system is just not that crisp at all, so I am tyring to find a way to improve it at a reasonable cost. Since I am planning to keep the car for about 3 - 5 more years, I want to have something that sounds nice, but not crazy expensive. I have tried the search feature for "replacement speakers for 2008 528," and all the post that popped up were over 5 years old.

Also, this would not be a DYI job, as I dont have any place to do the work myself. I will need to take to a shop for the install.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2019, 02:58 PM
Casual Fanatic

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi 6 speed manual
A quick internet search found this place: https://www.bavsound.com/ It would set you back $500 just for the components.

Somewhere I read that simply replacing speakers is not going to be cost and time-effective unless you also invest in some sort of amp and/or subwoofer to improve the sound.
Old 12-22-2019, 08:33 PM

Mein Auto: '10 550i m power, '09 650
i have a set of speakers on order from Bavsound. I have a 2010 550i with basic radio and CD player, will post results
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2019, 08:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 528i xdrive
Never purchased for my BMW, but back in the day these guys were pretty good: www.crutchfield.com
Old 12-22-2019, 09:14 PM
Casual Fanatic

LGATL, what did you ever decide to do about your speaker upgrade?
Old 01-05-2020, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
For a while, I decided to hold-off on the upgrade. I spoke with several vendors about the BavSound and other options, and here is what I gained from the various conversations:
- BavSound is great for plug and play ease...especially for those how have the facilities to do the work themselves. Hoewever, when I spoke to installers about the BavSound package, they advised that the sound quality would not be that drastic of an improvement, and those comments seemed consistent with other owner comments I have seen in the forums
- Most other upgrades from local installers seemed prohibitively expensive...like well over $2K for front door speakers/ tweeters, under seat subs, and rear deck speakers/ tweeters
- However, one local installer was very knowledgeable and gave me a path for an upgrade that may be "tolerable." And I am only considering this because he showed me a similar year 3 series that had the full upgrade (Audison) and it sounded as good as the best system in any new car. This upgrade path would include Audison front door speakers / tweeters, rear deck speaker/ tweeters, and a trunk mount amp w DSP. The bass with my current underseat subs seems to be fine, so I am not so sure those will need replacement. But I must say, the amp with DSP makes all the difference in the sound...so definitely something that shouldn't be skipped if you want crisp/ clear sound.

So for now, I replaced my front door speaker / tweeters with Audison speakers/ tweeters, and will consider the back speaker and amp upgrades at a later date. Just doing the front speakers with install was $700. From what I recall, the rear speakers with install will be about another $700, and the amp w DSP with install close to another $1000. Still trying to decide if this makes sense to spend that much money on a car that is almost 12 years old...albeit I plan to drive it at least 3-5 more years.

And if you were wondering about the sound improvement with just the front speaker/ tweeter upgrade...I would say the sound improvement is about 15% - 20% improved. The amp/ DSP I think will help the most as it really dials-in the sound. I just can't explain how much of a difference that made when the tech turned the amp/ DSP on and off in terms of sound quality.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:48 PM
Casual Fanatic

Thanks for the update. Good luck with your decision.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:38 PM

Mein Auto: '10 550i m power, '09 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveo650i View Post
i have a set of speakers on order from Bavsound. I have a 2010 550i with basic radio and CD player, will post results
Got the speakers. Very nicely made. installing rear speakers, piece of cake. doors a little harder. used a plastic milk crate to hold up door panel while I change speakers. there are a few other post that tell about speaker replacement and several youtubes. watch acouple different ones about door panel removal. Ended up, I have a HD radio. Basic has no tweeters. HD has tweeters. Radio / Cd sounds really good now. More then enough volume for me. Hey, I am an old guy. The Greatful Dead and Allman Bros sounded really good
Daveo
Old 02-04-2020, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 528i xdrive
I saw the Allman Brothers last show at the Beacon. Such a talented band....

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search