My 2-week 550i Review - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)

G30 (2017 - Current)
The next generation 5 Series, chassis code G30, arrives at dealers in February 2017. Looking like a scaled down 7 Series and riding on the CLAR platform, the new 5 Series will have a focus on lightweight and sporty performance. Engines options will come from BMW's new B family for the 530 and 540 and a turbocharged V8 for the M550i. Read more about the 2017 5 Series

Old 10-02-2017, 01:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 Acura MDX
My 2-week 550i Review

So, just got back home from 2 weeks in Europe, and wanted to share my 2 cents on the 550i.

The first thing you will notice is the exhaust note on startup. Very nice job here, IMO. Great, loud (but not obnoxiously loud), low-pitch bark once it fires up; good, low growl for the first 10-seconds or so while things warm up, then a sedate purr once things settle down.

In-town driving was a breeze. The car is very calm and collected on city streets. I was a little afraid that the gas pedal would be a bit touchy - given how much power this beast has - but I never really had any problems maintaining a proper speed. I have not driven an F10 (my last Bimmer was an '03 Z4), so can't comment on how steering feel compares. To me, it's "OK". I would have liked a bit more feedback, but it's not too bad. Sensitivity seems well balanced, too.

On the highway, though, is where this thing shines. Cruising around 100-110mph seemed to be an ideal place. Plenty of power to pass without even needing to downshift from 8th gear, smooth ride, and just a hint of exhaust note. I think the problem is going to be keeping this car under 80mph at home!

Unfortunately, I did not get to flex her muscles on any good twisties. It rained much of the time we were there, so the one time I had scheduled to drive some nice, twisty Alpine roads, much of the day was wet. And the 30 minutes or so it was dry enough to push it, I got stuck behind some tractor trailers! C'est la vie.

As far as the interior goes, I am mostly pleased. As far as interior quality is concerned, the only complaints I have are:
1. No strut for the glove box - It seems it's just friction of the felt walls to keep it from dropping open. Just felt a bit cheap.
2. Ventilated seats - Even on high, I didn't feel anything coming through the seats. Only tried once or twice, so I'll have to play with this more when it gets home.

At first, I was disappointed that the cup holders next to the dash were too small to hold my water bottle (3" in diameter). However, I was pleased to see that the door-mounted holders are plenty big enough. AND they are angled perfectly to pull and replace a water bottle. I need to see if I can now get a larger bottle, as I think the door holders might be large enough.

As far as the A/C - there was only one time I felt it wasn't cooling the car enough. Then I looked over and saw the A/C was turned off (I had turned it off the previous day because it was a cool day). The only other issue I have with the A/C is that I guess I need to figure out the right temp for me. In my current car (Acura MDX) I usually keep the temp set around 77F. I think I had the Bimmer around 70F. Could just be different ways they read zone temp, so I'll need more time to play and not look at Deutschland countryside.

IAS. While I can't compare to similar driving without it, I'll have to say I'm happy. I'm sure it helped me out in the tight parking decks, though! There were really only two times I actually noticed its presence. On a few exit ramps, I'd notice a little shimmy from the rear end. I wasn't anywhere near the car's limits, so I know it wasn't oversteer. My best SWAG is that in starting the turn-in, I was above the speed boundary for IAS, then when I dropped the speed boundary for low-speed IAS, the turning of the rear wheels gave me a little shimmy feeling. Extremely subtle, though.

The only other time I noticed IAS was backing into a parking deck spot. I was trying to get as close as possible to the wall on the passenger side. So, I started in at an angle, then would turn the wheel to end up against the wall. After I started turning the wheel, though, I noticed the rear end start to pull away from the wall instead of staying flush like I'm normally used to. This will just take some getting used to, but it's not bad.

DAP+ - OMG, this is the most wonderful thing ever! Well, almost. There were one or two nights where I didn't have much sleep, and DAP+ really helped reduce the mental strain of driving. Also, in stop-and-go traffic, just set cruise and the car takes care of itself. Mostly. It would be nice if you didn't have to touch the accelerator to get going, but that's not a big deal. What really gets me (and others have mentioned elsewhere), is why the car can't handle well-marked exit ramps. It's like the car wants to commit suicide by splitting the difference between the lane and the ramp to hit the divider! WTF?

The issues I had:
iPod - Took my iPod Classic so I wouldn't have to fumble with radio stations. The first time I plugged it in and selected a playlist, it would play about 20 seconds of the song, then hang. I would have to unplug the iPod for the radio to even respond after that. A few days later and tried again (though, admittedly a different playlist) and things worked OK. Could have been the song at the start of that playlist, or something else. Not sure yet.

Remote Control Parking - Works fine for the most part. The only issue I had/have is that it would be nicer if it would get closer to a wall. Using remote parking, I think the car stops at about 12-14 inches from a wall. In the tight parking decks of Germany, I wanted it to be closer, so I ended up pulling in manually with my wife helping to get me within 2-3 inches. Pulling out of the parking spot was seamless with Remote Control Parking - had to do this once as someone parked too close for me to comfortably get my driver's door opened. Did a few other times just for the heck of it!

Active Sound - Enough has been said here, so I won't say much other than I think it just sounds bad.

ASS - When it works like you expect, it's fantastic! Come up to a light that just turned red, and the car shuts off. Sitting in traffic that's more stop than go, and the car shuts off. Too bad things go wrong more than right - at least for me. I think half of my problem is trying to stop smoothly. You know how a basic driving skill is to gently let off of the brake pedal as you approach a full stop so the stop is smooth and not sudden? Well, this car doesn't like that. When I do that, here's what happens:
1 - Slowing to stop
2 - Hit threshold for car to shut off (just before a complete stop - maybe 1-2mph?)
3 - I'm start lifting my foot off the brake to smooth the stop out of habit
4 - Car sees that and restarts the engine (so engine has been off for less than 1/4 of a second)
5 - Car lurches, then sits with the engine running
The only times it really works for me is if I stop like my wife - just before the complete stop, stomp on the brake to slam everyone in the car against their seatbelts.

Some things I still need to play with:
- HK Stereo. Had the family in the car, so couldn't crank the tunes.

- DHP. I didn't have much repeated driving on the same roads, plus, Bavarian roads are mostly wonderful! (I do need to get to other parts of Germany) In addition, see my comment above about not being able to push it in the twisties. So, right now I can't compare how Sport Mode compares to Comfort. On flat, smooth, highway driving, I didn't notice much difference.

- Parking Assistance - Pulling into a parking lot/garage, I'd usually hit the Parking Assistance button just to have the cameras on and ready for pulling into a spot. Once or twice I did get a message telling me to stop, but I would miss that and park myself.

Overall, very happy with my purchase. Just sad I have to wait a few more weeks to get it back!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	castle-car.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	679057  

Former rides:
2009 Acura MDX Tech
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT1
1994 Pontiac Grand Am
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2017, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: Fast Cars
Trey, awesome write up -- thanks for the details. Interesting, when we took the M550i out for a test drive, my wife complained about the "tiny" cup holders and the glove box. The glove box seemed really small as well and the CA giggled and said the last test driver had the same complaint. Not a big deal for me but certain people (my wife is one) really get irked by these things. I agree there's no love for active sound. I'll likely disconnect and go aftermarket exhaust.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkiller View Post
Trey, awesome write up -- thanks for the details. Interesting, when we took the M550i out for a test drive, my wife complained about the "tiny" cup holders and the glove box. The glove box seemed really small as well and the CA giggled and said the last test driver had the same complaint. Not a big deal for me but certain people (my wife is one) really get irked by these things. I agree there's no love for active sound. I'll likely disconnect and go aftermarket exhaust.
That was one thing I forgot to mention about the glove box, so thank you for bringing it up. It is insanely small. In fact, I couldn't even just set the manual in there and close it. I had to prop it up a certain way to get the glove box to shut.

It's not that big of a deal for me... I've probably opened my glove box a dozen times in the past 8 years I've owned my current car.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Bimmerfest mobile app

Former rides:
2009 Acura MDX Tech
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
1994 Pontiac Grand Am
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2017, 05:58 PM

One other thing...I drove about 1700kms during my ED, and overall mileage reported was right at 23mpg.

Given a mix of highway, City, and back road driving, I easily averaged just above 23mpg. Putting my foot to the floor VERY quickly changed that number, though!

For me, I'm very happy with those results, as I average about 19mpg in my current V6 CUV. So, the added fun factor plus better mileage is going to be nice.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Bimmerfest mobile app

Former rides:
2009 Acura MDX Tech
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
1994 Pontiac Grand Am
Old 10-02-2017, 11:35 PM

Mein Auto: BMW G30 530i xDrive
Thanks for your taking time and going through the trouble posting your experiences with the G30
I think you would also like Panoramic view assuming you have got one. It's very useful indeed where you wouldn't see the farthest passenger side at tight spots otherwise you need to lean forwards to see if someone is coming. I can't say I hate automatic start stop system but Iike to disable it
Happy Driving

Jurgen Klopp : Das Ist Trainer

Mom:Your Phone Is Ringing
Me:Nope, It's New York Rangers Just Scored A Goal

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)
Today's Posts Search