Strange OBD2 Code - U1408 - Need Help - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-12-2019, 11:11 AM
Emoney Mango Emoney Mango is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 8
Mein Auto:
Strange OBD2 Code - U1408 - Need Help

Hello,

I have a 2014 328i x Drive, 60K miles. Every since it started getting cold in New England (under 30 degrees) my check engine light has come on with code "U1408". The shop I usually go to thought it was thermostat related issues and it should be under warranty. So, I brought it to the dealer and they replaced the thermostat under warranty, but the same day it was around 15 degrees out and the CEL came back on, this time with U1408 and P0128 (low coolant temp). I brought it back to the dealer, but it was around 50 degrees that day and of course the light was no longer on . They didnt see any fault history related to the thermostat.

The CEL comes on with U1408 whenever it is cold out (under 30 degrees) and will turn off on warmer days. The oil temperature gauge also doesn't move above 160 when the light is on, and the fans run super loud when its cold out and I have the heat on. Does anyone know what this could be? Car still drives ok, don't seem to be experiencing any power limiting.

Thanks!

Last edited by Emoney Mango; 02-12-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 02-13-2019, 03:47 PM
Emoney Mango Emoney Mango is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 8
Mein Auto:
So I accessed the hidden menu in the cluster and after a 30 minute drive (mostly highway at 65mph) the oil temp and coolant temp were only around 90 degrees C (194 F). It was 40 degrees F outside. This seems to be below operating temperature and almost sounds like the thermostat is stuck open, even though it was just replaced. The CEL also shut off again. The oil temp gauge does match what the car is telling me. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Emoney Mango; 02-13-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-14-2019, 06:32 AM
southcoastguy southcoastguy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Mattapoisett, MA
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 748
Mein Auto: 328xi
A quick google search provided this:

http://u1408.enginecodes.net/
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 02-14-2019, 08:14 AM
Emoney Mango Emoney Mango is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 8
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by southcoastguy View Post
A quick google search provided this:

http://u1408.enginecodes.net/
I also googled it, doesn't tell me much.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-05-2019, 06:49 AM
Zux007 Zux007 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 1
Mein Auto:
Hello,
I've the same problem as you had with oil temperature. Can you tell me how did you fix it?

Thank you
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-11-2019, 07:38 PM
Arcturus Arcturus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 9
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoney Mango View Post
Hello,

I have a 2014 328i x Drive, 60K miles. Every since it started getting cold in New England (under 30 degrees) my check engine light has come on with code "U1408". The shop I usually go to thought it was thermostat related issues and it should be under warranty. So, I brought it to the dealer and they replaced the thermostat under warranty, but the same day it was around 15 degrees out and the CEL came back on, this time with U1408 and P0128 (low coolant temp). I brought it back to the dealer, but it was around 50 degrees that day and of course the light was no longer on . They didnt see any fault history related to the thermostat.

The CEL comes on with U1408 whenever it is cold out (under 30 degrees) and will turn off on warmer days. The oil temperature gauge also doesn't move above 160 when the light is on, and the fans run super loud when its cold out and I have the heat on. Does anyone know what this could be? Car still drives ok, don't seem to be experiencing any power limiting.

Thanks!
I'm having this same issue. Thermostat was replaced and same U1408 and P0128. Do you have Bimmerlink? Try measuring your lower radiator hose coolant temp with that app and see if it's weird. Mine is. I wonder if this is the issue.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-15-2020, 03:09 PM
patyoung patyoung is offline
Registered User
Location: Mt Pleasant, SC
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 15
Mein Auto: GL350
I have had similar codes and issues, what ended up being the fix?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-15-2020, 10:06 PM
Arcturus Arcturus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 9
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by patyoung View Post
I have had similar codes and issues, what ended up being the fix?
For me they first replaced the MAP thermostat PN 11-53-8-635-689. That did nothing and the car still wasn't coming up to operating temp in time. The oil temp would hang at 70C on the bottom end of the gauge - even after a 30-40 min drive. I also kept getting intermittent check engine lights for P0128 and U1408 codes.

I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the auto transmission oil cooler (heat exchanger) PN 17-21-7-600-553. There is second thermostat on this part that went bad. That solved the problem. My car now comes up to operating temp after a 10 min or so drive on the highway - even in very cold weather.

I can't find it now, but if you search the internet you will see evidence that this is a somewhat common problem.

Last edited by Arcturus; 01-15-2020 at 10:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-16-2020, 03:54 PM
laser's Avatar
laser laser is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,498
Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
There's an extended warranty for thermostats stuck open 10 years 120,000 miles
__________________
Laser

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"
___________________________
2017 330i M- Sport Black Sapphire Metallic
2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rough idle, CEL - Strange code P11B1 Powertrain BXMMMMMW X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) 9 09-13-2018 11:16 AM
Bmw e70 strange fault code Tmling76 X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) 3 06-04-2018 09:43 PM
Recently had Rotors/brakes done all 4, 3 weeks later brakes stuck/ ABS won't benspie X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) 26 03-28-2018 08:12 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.