Noise that sounds light grit/rain hitting windsheild? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2019 Audi A5 Prestige S/B
Noise that sounds light grit/rain hitting windsheild?

I have a new noise as of yesterday. My wife and I both noticed it on the way to work, and she rarely notices anything. It sounds like light grit (or maybe light rain at high speed) hitting the windshield and seems to be coming from the front dash or windshield. It is noticeable. There were no cars in front of me on the highway, though, nor was it raining. It lasted the entire 20 minute drive to work when moving only. I don't see any damage to the windshield or weather stripping around it.

Temperature was in the low 30's yesterday. I didn't hear it when we left in the afternoon with temps in the 60's. Again this morning in the mid 30's and hear it. It does not go away after the car warms in the interior or the engine warms either morning. I turned off the environmental controls in the event that something was in the ducts or motors with no change. I turned off the radio with no change. I removed everything from the glove box and center console as well but that affected nothing.

Any thoughts? Point me to a thread I didn't find? I only saw something on the 5 series about a speaker grill in the dash where folks described a possibly similar sound. Nothing I found related to the 4 series.

Thanks.

Last edited by Coercion Shaman; 12-05-2019 at 07:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2019, 01:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bimmer
Can it be leaves/debris trapped around cowl panels at the bottom of windshield?
Old 12-05-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
Can it be leaves/debris trapped around cowl panels at the bottom of windshield?
Good thought. Had that one, too. I just cleaned it out a couple of days ago when I washed the car. Checked and it is still clear.
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2019, 05:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 F33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
Good thought. Had that one, too. I just cleaned it out a couple of days ago when I washed the car. Checked and it is still clear.
If you live in a northern state, it could be sand/salt left over on the road hitting the wheel well or mudguards if you have them. I noticed it in Upstate NY this Winter.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpickoff View Post
If you live in a northern state, it could be sand/salt left over on the road hitting the wheel well or mudguards if you have them. I noticed it in Upstate NY this Winter.
Good thought, but I'm in Georgia. And it is happening on smaller roads and the interstate.

No sound again on the way home yesterday while in the 60's. This morning, around 40 degrees.... sound again. It is coming from the driver side dash or the windshield itself, I think.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:39 AM

Mein Auto: 435i Grand Coupe
The wheel wells have almost no sound proofing so I notice it a lot from below. But not the windshield area.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 12-06-2019, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi GT
How about a pine needle down inside the air intake for the heater / AC and just touching the fan.
Try using a leaf blower to force air into the intake before the windshield. It might move it enough to stop the noise.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our BMW View Post
How about a pine needle down inside the air intake for the heater / AC and just touching the fan.
Try using a leaf blower to force air into the intake before the windshield. It might move it enough to stop the noise.
No harm in trying that, but if I turn off the environmental controls, shouldn't that halt that sort of sound? There are a ton of pine needles here.

Last edited by Coercion Shaman; 12-06-2019 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
No harm in trying that, but if I turn off the environmental controls, shouldn't that halt that sort of sound? There are a ton of pine needles here.
How are the "environmental controls" turned off?
Old 12-06-2019, 09:49 AM

Just the fact that air flow could move a fan. The air intake at the back of the hood is in a pressure zone when the car is moving.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John MS View Post
How are the "environmental controls" turned off?
Quote:
Just the fact that air flow could move a fan. The air intake at the back of the hood is in a pressure zone when the car is moving.
By 'off', I meant turn off the fans and also turn off the fresh air intake and go to recirculate.

Fair enough. Not sure why it wouldn't also cause the noise in the afternoon when I leave work, but I am going to try to use the blower this evening once home.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
If the fan is truly off then yes air flow from car movement is likely rustling some needles or leaves that got into the duct work.

Also check around the radiator and cooling fans for debris. Sound can travel.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:58 AM

So I didn't find anything under the hood and blew everything out with the blower. I still have the noise on very cold mornings. Anything warmer on any given mornings driving the same roads yields no noise. It is temperature related, but I can't figure out what it is.

Someone on another forum mentioned their HUD making noise. I haven't been able to isolate it to that. If anyone thinks of something else to look at, let me know. If I find it, I will post back.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
Try isolating the noise more. Use some rubber tubing. It will resonate more to your ear when it is pointed at the source.

Old 12-09-2019, 09:08 AM

Next thought would be some kind of leak from a damper that is closed when outside temps are cold.
Is the recirculation damper vacuum activated?

Maybe check and look into the area that holds the in cabin air filter?
Old 12-09-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyUnicornTaco View Post
Try isolating the noise more. Use some rubber tubing. It will resonate more to your ear when it is pointed at the source.

Could have my wife drive and try that.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Next thought would be some kind of leak from a damper that is closed when outside temps are cold.
Is the recirculation damper vacuum activated?

Maybe check and look into the area that holds the in cabin air filter?
I leave it in auto, but I have tried with it on both manual and off. I will try some of the different settings some more.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search