X5 windshield is expensive to replace - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - 2017)

X5 F15 (2014 - 2017)
The all new F15 BMW X5 started production August 2013 as a 2014 model year. The new X5 arrives in sDrive35i (RWD), xDrive35i, xDrive50i and a diesel xDrive 35d.

Old 12-04-2019, 06:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6 Tisilver/gray
X5 windshield is expensive to replace

Had a tree limb fall & brake our X5's windshield the other night. Contacted insurance company & they arranged for it being replaced. I requested OE BMW parts. Final cost was just over $2k installed with new wipers. Sounds high to me but it is what it is. Fortunately, insurance covered it.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

BMW CCA #132981 Tarheel Chapter,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2019, 07:55 AM
Glfbggy

Mein Auto: 18 X5d , 14 535xd, 00 MZ3
Had to replace ours on a "18 x35d. It was 1900. The expense is for HUD, Lane departure, etc. and requires a calibration by a 'certified' master tech.
'07X3si now in other hands,
'14 535d XDrive,
'18 X5 35d In break-in...
Old 12-04-2019, 07:58 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Yes, they are expensive and essential to the car's performance.

Garages are expensive too, but most of them around here are toy boxes full of snow machines and PWC and fishing boats. Mine is three wide but with a single wide door.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2019, 12:42 PM

New windshield is in! Great job by the SafeLite technician. Got the camera recalibrated and seems ok. Will need to test drive it but want the sealant to cure for a while 1st. Got curious & checked price via realoem, com p/n & it shows list price @ $974.54 & can be brought for $559.97. A far cry less that the retail price listed as $1413.13 on SafeLite invoice. I wonder how much insurance company actually pays? Was a $250 charge for the camera recalibration. Total bill was $2119.45.

Edited;....rechecked price for the p/n 51317282402 which is for the rain sens, camera & heads up. It shows list at $1413.13 with sell price at $858.83.
Here's the new glass ID info

Last edited by rav31; 12-04-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: 535
Just filed a claim with insurance for my windshield too. Insurance said that I can choose to get it done at the dealer or they can get it done through Safelite. However, they will only cover $40 an hour labor and dealer wanted $155 per hour and the labor they would charge would be 5 hours. My out of pocket was going to be over $600. Insurance said that they do not make an aftermarket glass for my car (18 x5) so Safelite will purchase from BMW and then come install the glass. I do not have hud or lane departure just rain sensing wipers. I made sure with insurance that they put oem glass. Will they or will they just out Chinese made glass?
Old 12-04-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEEKHAN View Post
Just filed a claim with insurance for my windshield too. Insurance said that I can choose to get it done at the dealer or they can get it done through Safelite. However, they will only cover $40 an hour labor and dealer wanted $155 per hour and the labor they would charge would be 5 hours. My out of pocket was going to be over $600. Insurance said that they do not make an aftermarket glass for my car (18 x5) so Safelite will purchase from BMW and then come install the glass. I do not have hud or lane departure just rain sensing wipers. I made sure with insurance that they put oem glass. Will they or will they just out Chinese made glass?
I talked to the SafeLite guy that came to the house to install the OE BMW windshield. He said , at least in our area, no BMW dealership actually installs the glass. you drop it off at dealership & then the have Safelite come in & install it. FYI, my SafeLite installed had the correct windshield in stock.

Old 12-04-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav31 View Post
Quote:
I talked to the SafeLite guy that came to the house to install the OE BMW windshield. He said , at least in our area, no BMW dealership actually installs the glass. you drop it off at dealership & then the have Safelite come in & install it. FYI, my SafeLite installed had the correct windshield in stock.
Thanks. Correct windshield meaning the correct part that is for your car or it was genuine glass that BMW will put? I read on other forums that sometimes they put cheap Chinese made that warps or have some issues with sight while driving? How can we make sure they put original glass?
Old 12-05-2019, 06:10 AM
Glfbggy

@rav31, check with your insurance company. Mine paid 100% of the calibration, the deductible was applicable on the glass and installation.
'14 535d XDrive,
Old 12-05-2019, 07:31 AM
Constantly Learning

Mein Auto: 2016 X5, 2006 M3, 2002 M5
Thanks for the detailed pics and part numbers. It pays to stay VERY involved in any auto claim.

Wife's chariot - 2016 xDrive 3.5i, Sapphire over Black. M Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Driver Assist and Plus, Luxury and MultiContour Seats, Roof Rails, Harman Kardon
Old 12-05-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Correct windshield meaning the correct part that is for your car or it was genuine glass that BMW will put? I read on other forums that sometimes they put cheap Chinese made that warps or have some issues with sight while driving? How can we make sure they put original glass?
Yes, see picture i posted of new glass. Has the BMW logo & p/n
Also says Made in USA

Old 12-05-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpup View Post
@rav31, check with your insurance company. Mine paid 100% of the calibration, the deductible was applicable on the glass and installation.
@ ghpup.....yes, my insurance paid 100% except for new wiper blades.

Old 12-08-2019, 05:37 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: X5 50i
When replacing your BMW windshield, using the correct BMW windshield glass is the SECOND most important part of the replacement process ... the FIRST and most important part is using the correct adhesive ... BMW specifies urethane windshield adhesive. Safelite (and others) is known to use non urethane adhesives, like fast setting epoxies, in the interest of a quick turn around. These fast curing adhesives compromise the safety and integrity of the car.
BMW CCA #20645
Old 12-08-2019, 05:43 PM

Got mine changed yesterday. The Safelite person brought the glass that had BMW logo and part number on it. Perhaps, you're right about the adhesive. The adhesive he used is more like "silicone". It also is coming out s little by the sides of the pillars, I can see it a little biy exposed. I left the car parked in the garage all day yesterday and today. Just took it out and it's going to rain tomorrow but gonna take it to work. Hopefully it's done right and no water leaks or cabin noise etc.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
When replacing your BMW windshield, using the correct BMW windshield glass is the SECOND most important part of the replacement process ... the FIRST and most important part is using the correct adhesive ... BMW specifies urethane windshield adhesive. Safelite (and others) is known to use non urethane adhesives, like fast setting epoxies, in the interest of a quick turn around. These fast curing adhesives compromise the safety and integrity of the car.
@PAX5.....I talked to the Tech about that. He said they use a newer urethane adhesive. My guy did a great job. Looking at the safelite site & talking to the Tech, I feel very confident on their installation. He told me he had to train for 9 months. He said his trainer/instructor would take him to a junk yard and he's have to remove 50 windshields. This guy had ALL the correct specialized tools. A special tool that would pull a string to cut the old adhesive to remove the windshield. Then go back & cut the old to where there was about 1/32" or so remaining. He said the urethane adhered better to the existing seal material than the car body. He also applied a adhesive primer to the new windshield around the edges before applying adhesive. He had a electric caulking gun to apply the urethane bead. Very well done. He had the assist fixture tool to help lay the windshield in place. After he put everything back together (side trim & all the under hood cowl stuff) & put his tools away, he pulled out a computer laptop device that he plugged into the OBD2 socket & took the car for a 10-15 drive to make sure all the camera(s) were working correctly & heads up display was OK. I was pleasantly impressed with his professionalism.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:37 AM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
@PAX5.....I talked to the Tech about that. He said they use a newer urethane adhesive...

... This guy had ALL the correct specialized tools. A special tool that would pull a string to cut the old adhesive to remove the windshield. Then go back & cut the old to where there was about 1/32" or so remaining. He said the urethane adhered better to the existing seal material than the car body. He also applied a adhesive primer to the new windshield around the edges before applying adhesive. He had a electric caulking gun to apply the urethane bead. Very well done. He had the assist fixture tool to help lay the windshield in place.
PERFECT!

If the tech did everything the way you described above, the installation was in accordance with the materials and procedures BMW stipulates, with one caveat: did he do the repair at 40 deg or colder and how long did he take to place the windshield on the fresh bead of adhesive? If yes and he took his time to place the windshield, the outer layer of the urethane bead will develop a "film" causing incomplete adhesion of the windshield glass to the bead. Using primer helps.

My dealer will do their windshield installations in house. A minimum of 2 BMW techs are trained at the BMW center on how to do this. The replacement of a windshield requires that the car is kept overnight, in a climate controlled environment, with bands stretched across foam blocks, putting pressure on the newly installed windshield, allowing the urethane adhesive to cure overnight.
BMW CCA #20645

Last edited by PAX5; 12-09-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:13 AM

I spoke to the Safelite guy and he said the BMW dealers call us to do the installations as well. Maybe some dealers do it in house and some don't?
Old 12-09-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
PERFECT!

If the tech did everything the way you described above, the installation was in accordance with the materials and procedures BMW stipulates, with one caveat: did he do the repair at 40 deg or colder and how long did he take to place the windshield on the fresh bead of adhesive? If yes and he took his time to place the windshield, the outer layer of the urethane bead will develop a "film" causing incomplete adhesion of the windshield glass to the bead. Using primer helps.

My dealer will do their windshield installations in house. A minimum of 2 BMW techs are trained at the BMW center on how to do this. The replacement of a windshield requires that the car is kept overnight, in a climate controlled environment, with bands stretched across foam blocks, putting pressure on the newly installed windshield, allowing the urethane adhesive to cure overnight.
@PAX5....with your CCA#, you must of joined some time before '85! Congratulations on your years of supporting the CCA! I use to be the WNC Asheville area coordinator several years ago.

Yes, the SafeLite Tech seemed to do all the right stuff according to the instructions here https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...dow/1VnXgK9Gq3

So far, so good. Time will tell. Temp was above 40 F. He said the urethane would cure fast enough to drive after several hrs. Think he said it would fully cure for several days but would be at about 70% after a day. Said not to go thru any car washes as the wind/pray could get into the seal. Just drive easy for a while if we had to drive it. We elected to wait a day.

Do you ever come down to WNC for the Vintage?

Old 12-09-2019, 12:35 PM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
@PAX5....with your CCA#, you must of joined some time before '85! Congratulations on your years of supporting the CCA! I use to be the WNC Asheville area coordinator several years ago.

Do you ever come down to WNC for the Vintage?
Yes, started in 1981.

PM'd you.
BMW CCA #20645
Old 12-12-2019, 08:02 AM
Glfbggy

Quote:
I spoke to the Safelite guy and he said the BMW dealers call us to do the installations as well. Maybe some dealers do it in house and some don't?
My dealer does it internally. I spoke with the Master Tech who did it personally. He happens to be the same Master Tech who replaced the HPFP on our f10.
'14 535d XDrive,
Old 12-13-2019, 06:30 AM
Officially a BMW Addict

Mein Auto: F15, F10, E60
I would avoid safelite at all costs.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman View Post
Thank for reply; They did a great job for me & warranted for life of ownership. Fixed it in about 2 hours at home. Whole lot better than making an appointment with dealer, dropping car off, getting a ride hole. waiting for 2+ days to complete & arrange to be dropped off at dealer. then wait till service writer is free to begin the checkout process. After retiring, I drove for local dealership for 3 years. I know what goes on.
Sorry for any bad experiences you have had with glass replacement.

Old 12-13-2019, 10:01 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Me too.

Particularly because I know the BMW procedure for windshield glass replacement, and that windshield glass is integral to vehicle body stiffness.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:30 AM
Officially a BMW Addict

Mein Auto: F15, F10, E60
Quote:
Quote:
Thank for reply; They did a great job for me & warranted for life of ownership. Fixed it in about 2 hours at home. Whole lot better than making an appointment with dealer, dropping car off, getting a ride hole. waiting for 2+ days to complete & arrange to be dropped off at dealer. then wait till service writer is free to begin the checkout process. After retiring, I drove for local dealership for 3 years. I know what goes on.
Sorry for any bad experiences you have had with glass replacement.
Safelite does not have the tools to properly calibrate the cameras. So if safelite does the glass, it should come back to BMW for the calibration. With head ups and various camera, no way safelite has the tools in their van to do it right. Insurance usually covers dealer OEM and programming at dealer if the car has special options.
"Itís what non-car people donít get. They see all cars as just a ton and a half, two tons of wires, glass, metal, and rubber, and thatís all they see. People like you or I know we have an unshakable belief that cars are living entitiesÖ" - Jeremy Clarkson

Last edited by OnlyGerman; 12-13-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Safelite does not have the tools to properly calibrate the cameras. So if safelite does the glass, it should come back to BMW for the calibration. With head ups and various camera, no way safelite has the tools in their van to do it right. Insurance usually covers dealer OEM and programming at dealer if the car has special options.
@OnlyGerman......not to belabor this issue, but to clarify our SafeLight tech told me upfront that he would be hooking up his computer to the OBD2 & taking it for a 15-30 drive to adjust these features. And he did this. Our heads up display with speed limit & lane assist all work properly. This is all done electronically with the computer. He really did a great job, being able to remove & install all trim very quickly without damaging anything. With it raining yesterday i could verify all rain sensors worked as well. No wind noise either.

Old 01-14-2020, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 320i xDrive
Windshield replaced

Got a quote from the dealer for replacement at $1400 all in. When I went to pick up the car they wanted another 1K on top. They did however adjust the price to the quoted amount. All in with a wheel alignment paid about $1650 CAD. I have HUD, rain sensor and lane departure. This dealer installs the windshield in-house. The work was done just last month.
2015 320i XDrive Sport Line Pkg, Navigation Pkg, Connected Drive w/ ARTTI, Mineral White Metallic, Black Dakota Leather

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 F15 (2014 - 2017)
Today's Posts Search