New X3 owner need HELP - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-06-2019, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto:
New X3 owner need HELP

Just picked up a 2010 x3i with 100k and Im just getting around prepping it for the road.

have the famous P0015 code
exhaust camshaft position timing over-retarded bank 1

Ive cleaned the solonoids and swaped them, still got the same code after 15 min or so of normal running, bought a new camshaft sensor and replaced the old, still have this code popping up.
I was hoping the solonoid swap would give me something to go after, but at this point i don't want to be chasing and replacing more sensors if i don't have to.

Im trying to get the IMPA working to get a better reading but im having running issues with it at the moment, so I can't use it, and my PA Soft 1.4 that Ive used on my e46s won't read the DME on the x3 for some stupid reason while it reads all other things.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

also on a side not, yesterday BOTH my remote keys stopped working for some strange reason, and I can't get it to re program using the usual (position 1, take out and press unlock + Lock x3 buttons)
Not sure if this might have something to do with it but the interior light doesn't come on when I open the doors.

and to top it off I see a leak from the oil pan, its slow but its dripping ever so slightly in the rear by the trany, I cleaned it all up and it seems the gasket is very flexible. This is making me think that someone might have replaced it already and maybe did not tourque it properly... should the gasket be hard at this point of milage or am I thinking right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2019, 06:45 PM
Anti-Hack

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X3
First things first: fully charge the battery and load test it. All your grief may come down to low vehicle battery voltage. Concurrently, replace the ground straps. Don't bother checking, just replace. There's one midway down the exhaust, and one on the starboard side bottom of the engine (visible from below with the belly pan off). Replace it with 4-6 gauge insulated battery cable. Add a third from the upper side of the engine to the negative battery lug aft of the washer reservoir.

Next, if the engine still has issues: remove/thoroughly clean or replace the VANOS screens/check valves in the cylinder head. They'll be found under "cylinder head" sections of ECS Tuning or FCP should you order new ones. I've seen them varnished as F* with less miles than yours, but also spotless at more miles than yours (mine included). All depends on the OCI.

If they're gunked, I'm likely to believe that the lack of oil changes has created so much sludge/varnish that the cam phasers are getting stuck retarded after driving (cam timing retards at higher RPM) because of it. You could try unplugging the connector from both solenoids... yeah you'll get codes, but if you're currently noticing it running rough after driving it and then the roughness goes away, then yeah, your VANOS cam phasers are sludged. Time for an engine flush in an attempt to salvage it, it can be done.

As for the oil pan gasket, doubtful it was done in only 100k, it's too costly/intensive a job for people to do for any tiny drip. Yeah, the gasket may remain soft/pliable where it sticks out between the block and pan, but that's not the sealed part, which is what matters. Hopefully, it is just the oil pan gasket and not the rear main seal, the former is far easier than the latter. That being said, the oil could easily be coming from above from the much more common valve cover gasket, eccentric shaft seal, oil filter housing and oil cooler gaskets.

2008 BMW E83 160k+ 2016 Chevy Silverado 84k+
2011 VW Jetta 120k+ 1984 GMC S-15 130k+
1986 Oldsmobile 442 130k on body 200+ on engine
1978 Honda Hobbit 2.6k+ 1961 Cub Cadet Original
1962 Springfield Gem 1965 Jacobsen Chief
1977 Bolens G9 1992 Jacobsen 810
Old 11-06-2019, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto:
ill check the batter tomorrow, but after I open that hatch!! i can't open it now as well. it all worked before just a couple days ago.

I remember seeing someone cleaning those vanos screens, Ill look into it tomorrow as well, its one bolt I believe on the left side of the block just below the valve cover.

As for the leak, i though it could be the RMS, so i took off all the covers, cleaned it thoroughly and took it to the wash bay to power wash the entire front of the engine. This is one owner car and it was a trade in at a local BMW dealer, that being said, the PO never washed the bay... lots of gunk all over and now its nice and clean. Ill be looking for oil leaks regularly lol
But i did check underneath right away and it looks like its coming from the pan, as the gasket has some shine to it. not sure which job is worse, RMS or Pan, either way i am hoping to put that job to the side till the spring time.

for an engine flush, is there anything I shoudl stay away from? anything you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2019, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 x3 N52
You might have missing or snapped bolts causing the leak. I found 2 long bolts missing and 3 short bolts snapped. Extraction was easy since they get lubed by the oil. Seems like they can break on their own cuz I've never worked or had anybody work on the oil pan. Check for ews immobilizer codes for the keys. I dont know how dme and ews communicate, it can be the box on top of dme that is broken. I cant remember its name.

Last edited by EvilSideOfGood; 11-06-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:20 PM

Mein Auto:
ill have a closer look tomorrow on those bolts, whats the tourque spec for them? Ill make sure to go through and check it out..

as for ews option, funny enough my old PA SOFT1.4 program can read my EWS on the e83, ill see if there's any errors, but I didn't notice anything yesterday
Old 11-07-2019, 03:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 X5 3.0i, 08 X3 3.0si
For torque specs and other details, see newtis.info . It's not the most user-friendly online manual, but it is a comprehensive online repair manual for your BMW.

AM.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:14 AM
Anti-Hack

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X3
You don't want to overtorque the pan bolts; they are aluminum and will snap very easily.

2008 BMW E83 160k+ 2016 Chevy Silverado 84k+
2011 VW Jetta 120k+ 1984 GMC S-15 130k+
1986 Oldsmobile 442 130k on body 200+ on engine
1978 Honda Hobbit 2.6k+ 1961 Cub Cadet Original
1962 Springfield Gem 1965 Jacobsen Chief
1977 Bolens G9 1992 Jacobsen 810
Old 11-07-2019, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto:
yeah i know, just want to get it to see if its up to spec and leave it as is

as for the key issue and interior light, I feel like its something simple but im just missing it.
the light dont come on when i open the doors. here is more details;

the center bulb is not working at all but the two little ones come on if I press the buttons (but dont go off after closing doors).
the center red led lights work
the rear lights above the passenger doors work when i press them (but dont go off after closing doors)
I did notice the light in the glove compartment comes on when I open the doors and does go off after closing.

I have a feeling the keys issue is interrelated with this lighting issue.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:47 PM

Mein Auto:
to clarify what is happening with the lights,

the two reading lights and rear door lights will come on with the door open, will shot off after couple minutes. But this only happens if the car is OFF. IF the car is on, the lights will NOT go out, they just stay ON... This is strange.

The key remotes do not work, I can open the doors with the key, once for driver door and twice for all doors. The trunk stays closed and will not open from outside. Also the alarm does not turn ON when i lock the doors with the keys. I checked the bulbs in the center dome and all good. the trunk lights come on once I open the gate from the inside.

any ideas?
Old 11-22-2019, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3, 2008 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelgawel View Post
I did notice the light in the glove compartment comes on when I open the doors and does go off after closing.
But how do you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelgawel View Post
to clarify what is happening with the lights,

the two reading lights and rear door lights will come on with the door open, will shot off after couple minutes. But this only happens if the car is OFF. IF the car is on, the lights will NOT go out, they just stay ON... This is strange.
That sounds normal to me

07 X3 3.0Si - AT - Black with tan leatherette interior - 141k miles
08 X3 3.0Si - AT - Black with black leather interior - 121k miles
Old 11-29-2019, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto:
So after diving into the issues, I found broken VANOS bolts! The intermittent noise coming from the valve cover was in fact one of the vanos bolts rubbing as it was literally coming loose. 3 bolts were sheared off completely. Took it to the dealer as it turns out there is an extended warranty on VANOS units for 10 years! Thank goodness I found the memo online and brought it up with the service department, otherwise Id me in for a hell of a ride.
They took the car, and replaced the unit completely, and had to drop the oil pan as well... yes, that included the subframe. they had to find the old bolts and they found them in the pan (so they say, ill find out when I pick it up lol). So two main issues are solved, the code i was getting was Vanos related, and the oil leak from the pan. Happy about that.

I still have the strange electical problem I haven't had time to play with. I have a feeling it might be the GM5 unit...
What I noticed was:
remote keys not working (both keys),
alarm will not set with manual key lock
center dome light not working at all,
rear hatch not opening at all,
if manually i turn on the interior reading lights and passenger lights they will not turn off automatically when in drive mode but act normally when car is OFF,
and noticed the front washers not working at all but rear does.

All fuses are ok. this leads me to believe something in the Modual went wanky

Last edited by pawelgawel; 11-29-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:51 AM

Mein Auto:
picked her up from the dealer yesterday, put on about 20kms, and as I was driving into my garage, limp mode stuttering and major hesitations began. p0015 code came back on, FUUUUUK

so I used my caa to tow it back to BMW. They'll get to her on monday I guess. What a PITA, I think someone forgot to tighten up something. It ran like new when picked up, and all of a sudden this.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto:
got the car back and replaced the exhaust side solenoid, she runs very sweet now.. back to electrical issue

I ran the pasoft 1.4 scanned and although my dme is not found, it does read my ZKE which shows me the following: "energy save mode active"

symptoms include:

driver side window ONLY works (others do not respond)
center dome light not working at all
other interior lights will not turn off automatically when engine running with closed doors (will turn off when car is off)
center locking button doesn't work
front windshield washer/wiper doesn't work
Both key remotes do not work
alarm does not turn on when manually locking the doors

I suspect it is the GM5, but it seems there are more issues then the usual GM5 indicators..

any idea guys??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191206_112905.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	874621  
Old 12-06-2019, 03:34 PM

Mein Auto:
from what i just found on google, this might be a transport mode OR GM5 is gone bad.... any thoughts?
Old 12-06-2019, 09:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330i
https://www.bmwgm5.com/GM5_Repair_Service.htm
Old 12-06-2019, 09:56 PM

Mein Auto:
Yeah I emailed Scott, and to my surprise he said he couldn't help me with my symptoms. Maybe I didnt explain these things properly to him. Either way, I think I'm better off getting it fixed locally. $150 USD is over $200 CND and that's not including the shipping.

I'll need to identify it's the GM5 first and I might attempt to do this myself. It's been done by others, I'm sure i can as well
Old 12-10-2019, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto:
I got it!! lol fuk how didn't i see the option before blows my mind... using PA soft 1.4 in ZKE, I went into REPROGRAMING section and it has 4 options, including Safe Transport Mode and Normal Standard Mode.. one click and the interior lights came on! everything works now.

Can't believe this took me so long to find... I was about to buy a different GM5 so I took mine out to check it out and take the part # down.

Finally...

So before you go out and get another GM5 module or waist more of your precious family time, check to see if you don't have "Safe Transport Mode" on. I don't know how it went into this mode, but I suspect it was when I disconnected the battery.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:14 AM

Do you need to make modifications or settings on PA Soft (BMW Scanner) to get it working with X3 E83 ?

Can you be more clear?
SAFE TRANSPORT MODE should be on or off ?

Last edited by EconoBox; 12-11-2019 at 05:23 AM.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto:
The PA Soft obd2 cable has the modified 7 & 8 pin soldered. I did that for my E46s back in the day and I still use it for the e46 m3 I have.
It works partially. It reads everything except DME. And that's too bad since I love this scanner for simplicity reasons. But other than that EWS ZKE LCM is all functional. I can change up the options and rewrite it.

The ZKE has 4 options in the Reprogram mode. It's a list with Nornal Operation option to choose from as well as Transport Safe Mode. Cant recall the exact wording, I'll take a pic of it when i have a chance again. I just chose the Nornal Operation option and voila! Easy peasy, my interior lights came right back on.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:08 PM

I have a PA Soft cable for my E46 that I use with BMW Scanner.
I did not solder anything. Are you saying you soldered your cable to make it work with E46 ?
Old 12-12-2019, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto:
My cable wasn't modified when I got it, yours seems to be done properly if you dont have any missing values when scanning. I did.
I dont have DME available on the e83 though.. not sure why it doesn't.

I'm still working on getting that INPA working with e83. It works ok with e46, bit stops everytime I choose e83.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:28 PM

If my PA Sort stuff works with my E46, I can just try plugging it into the E83, and see if it connects, right?
Do I need to install extra E83 stuff ?
Old 12-12-2019, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto:
It should read almost all of it, someone mentioned I need to upload a specific file for e83 to have full scan.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:07 PM

What E83 files do I need to install onto my E46 PA Soft / BMW Scanner ?
Can you link to the directions?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search