Thump when voming to a complete stop - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-11-2019, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto:
Thump when voming to a complete stop

Hi, I have just recently bought a none running 2008 x3 383 Automatic ...and just had the gearbox reconditioned, so now it runs well as far as changing gears goes. Unfortunately, I still have an issue with a thump that i get if i come to a complete stop, it seems to happen just after I stop, at first I thought it was the programming of the dreaded mechatronics unit 2-1 harsh gear shift knock/thump thats defo not it as I still get the thump it even if I Take off in 1st then stop harshly, I know its not the brakes calipers or anything like that, its defo in the drive train but its not the 6hp21x gearbox, so I am looking for suggestions eh: maybe transfer case or diff if there is one possibly, anyone had any dealings with this sort of issue. some post suggest that incorrect tyre would do this, but all four tyres are brand new with new rims(although they are not marked with an BMW asterisk though), surely it cant be that this is the issue. and if so why do you think! Also, I'd hate to spend the money on a new Transfer case just to find out that there was nothing wrong with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2019, 09:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X3
A little formating, etc. of your future posts would help a lot.

Many possibilities. A couple things to do is to 1) tighten your K-member's mounting bolts (big Torx-headed bolts going upward), and 2) to check your engine and transmission mounts.

Also have the X3 put up on a rack/lift to check the remainder of the suspension, for bad/loose shock/strut mounts, etc.
2008 BMW X3 M-Sport, N52, automatic ("#1")
Modifications:
All stock except dashcam

Since 3/2017, also restoring a
2008 BMW X3 base-model, N52, automatic ("#2")
Modifications:
Dashcam, cargo cover, cargo mat

Last edited by BMWaufKS; 11-11-2019 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWaufKS View Post

Many possibilities. A couple things to do is to 1) tighten your K-member's mounting bolts (big Torx-headed bolts going upward), and 2) to check your engine and transmission mounts.

Also have the X3 put up on a rack/lift to check the remainder of the suspension, for bad/loose shock/strut mounts, etc.
Please excuse the bad grammar and many thanks.

My X3 has just passed an government MOT test, so its likely that if any mounts were loose it would have failed, so I suspect they are all good but never the less I will check over these personally.

I am not sure what/where the K-Members are located, also, the X3 would have definitely failed the UK - MOT test if any brakes, shocks or struts were worn or even loose, as this is just one part of the multiple point test MOT test we have here in the UK, which is an annual compulsory test for all cars over three years of age and they are really thorough with it and go through your car with a fine tooth comb.

any other suggestion are welcome & Thanks very much for your quick response and suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2019, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
I had something similar when coming to a stop. There would be a thump maybe a second (just a few inches)before coming to a full stop. Shortly after this happened I got the dreaded trifecta of lights and the clicking sound under my car as turning it off. I changed out the servomotor gear (worn out teeth on the gear) and changed out my transfer case fluid (was actually low and very dark in color). Lights went away and so did my thumping issues.
I would changed out the transfer case fluid since it's probably old and pretty easy and cheap to do. Also, check to make sure all the tires pressures/psi are within spec.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:46 PM
Anti-Hack

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X3

If youíre not getting any lights or codes, itís the thrust arm bushings and/or sway bar links.

No inspection station is going to check torque or deflection on every bolt and bushing on the car. Many places are lock and stick. Here in NY, inspection is $21 or only $10 if the vehicle is over 25 years, but full inspection time is at least an hour at $125 am hour. A mechanic loses money on every inspection, so corners get cut.

And never ever rely on government programs to do things right. I engine swapped my Olds to a 10 year older engine much larger than anything made when the car was built and inspectors would not ever be able to tell the difference even if they tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

2008 BMW E83 160k+ 2016 Chevy Silverado 84k+
2011 VW Jetta 120k+ 1984 GMC S-15 130k+
1986 Oldsmobile 442 130k on body 200+ on engine
1978 Honda Hobbit 2.6k+ 1961 Cub Cadet Original
1962 Springfield Gem 1965 Jacobsen Chief
1977 Bolens G9 1992 Jacobsen 810

Last edited by dukedkt442; 11-11-2019 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:48 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx3e83 View Post
I had something similar when coming to a stop. There would be a thump maybe a second (just a few inches)before coming to a full stop. Shortly after this happened I got the dreaded trifecta of lights and the clicking sound under my car as turning it off. I changed out the servomotor gear (worn out teeth on the gear) and changed out my transfer case fluid (was actually low and very dark in color). Lights went away and so did my thumping issues.
I would changed out the transfer case fluid since it's probably old and pretty easy and cheap to do. Also, check to make sure all the tires pressures/psi are within spec.
thanks. Though! I haven't had the clicking as yet from worn teeth on the gear, i have purchased the part for when I finally get under it. As you say it cant do any harm to change the fluid and servo-gearing, worth a try. cheers

Last edited by Gezza_007; 11-12-2019 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto:
arm bushings and/or sway bar links

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedkt442 View Post
If youíre not getting any lights or codes, itís the thrust arm bushings and/or sway bar links.

No inspection station is going to check torque or deflection on every bolt and bushing on the car. Many places are lock and stick. Here in NY, inspection is $21 or only $10 if the vehicle is over 25 years, but full inspection time is at least an hour at $125 am hour. A mechanic loses money on every inspection, so corners get cut.

And never ever rely on government programs to do things right. I engine swapped my Olds to a 10 year older engine much larger than anything made when the car was built and inspectors would not ever be able to tell the difference even if they tried.

I do not have any related warning lights as yet, the only warning light that is on is a yellow DDE which I have yet to specifically figure out what that is. when I google it seems a bit "General" just to tell you its to do with the diesel injection system, which is not much help to trace the exact fault to repair.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3... VOLVO... V
UK MOTs are quite a bit better than our inspections but they could have missed something loose.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:19 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWaufKS View Post

I have now since had all Transmission, Engine Mounts and K-Members all checked & re-torqued by two different mechanic/garage workshops, I am still confused and still looking for suggestions as I am no further forward, I really need more suggestions!

Someone surly must have came across this or similar in there lifetime.

FYI, These short thump/s will only happen when the car is completely warmed up, which draw me towards trans or engine-oil why else would it thump when not cold, (does the mechatronic unit do anything when stopping mechanically) or is it solely responsible for just changing up and down gears and nothing else, whats your thoughts?

Last edited by Gezza_007; 12-08-2019 at 11:42 AM. Reason: typo/speeling
Old 12-08-2019, 05:28 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Powered motor mount switch over fault?
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:29 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gezza_007 View Post
thanks. Though! I haven't had the clicking as yet from worn teeth on the gear, i have purchased the part for when I finally get under it. As you say it cant do any harm to change the fluid and servo-gearing, worth a try. cheers
I just went through the service records and found out that BMW - serviced the ATC -actuator gear & changed out the Oil & plastic cogs (mid 2017) so I doubt they are worn already. if that helps with suggestions
Old 12-08-2019, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto:
re-powered motor mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Powered motor mount switch over fault?

Hi Doug,

Any possibility that you could elaborate as I have no clue what you are referring to..I am not sure where the power motor mount is,Also,if you don't mind explain your rationale

Thanks ever
Old 12-08-2019, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gezza_007 View Post
Hi Doug,

Any possibility that you could elaborate as I have no clue what you are referring to..I am not sure where the power motor mount is,Also,if you don't mind explain your rationale

Thanks ever

That might be an x5 part....Iím not aware of the x3 ever having a fancy powered motor mount. Maybe itís a diesel only part...Either way, weíve ruled out k members, sub frame and motor mount since you said you had two garages check torque.

When it was on the lift did you have the shop do a full suspension inspection? Iíd check every suspension component (including all bushings) and all drive shaft components. Usually itís pretty obvious once itís on a lift...noise has to be coming from something...just might take time to find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 12-08-2019, 12:16 PM

Regarding transmission mechatronics unit, canít help much. Most of us are from the US and we didnít get a diesel. The model transmission you list Iím not familiar with as our petrol n52 got a 6L45E transmission from GM. I do know that for US cars at this point all have been fixed with new transmission software....havenít heard a reported issue in quite awhile.

Iíve never heard of an oil cooler giving you a clank at stop once warmed up...maybe a diesel thing? I have experienced worn suspension/driveline components doing that...definitely worth a look.

Last edited by x3brian; 12-08-2019 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
That might be an x5 part....I'm not aware of the x3 ever having a fancy powered motor mount. Maybe it's a diesel only part...Either way, we've ruled out k members, sub frame and motor mount since you said you had two garages check torque.

When it was on the lift did you have the shop do a full suspension inspection? I'd check every suspension component (including all bushings) and all drive shaft components. Usually it's pretty obvious once it's on a lift...noise has to be coming from something...just might take time to find it.

full suspension checked with the Government MOT checks, believe me if they can find anything they will fail it, when it was on the Lift, though! I can't imagine it'll be a suspension issue bearing in mind with what I stated previously that the car needs to be at normal working temp in order to get the small bumps just a split sec before stopping, as it feels like it still wants to run on when braking to a complete stop, Also, if I through it into Neutral at the last minute, then no bump either...any thoughts about ABS/Wheel-sensors telling the Computer that its not came to a complete stop or misreading the speed and thinking its still going faster than it is or??
Old 12-08-2019, 12:59 PM

Are you getting any fault codes? You mentioned no dash lights other than dml but the e83 does not always throw a dash light for a stored fault.

Old 12-09-2019, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto:
Thump & stored fault codes

Sorry, I haven't checked for any stored codes as yet, the reasons being is I am still trying to get to grips & navigation with this INPA software and of course the German translation doesnt help either ((, So I would not know where to look or navigate to within the various menus as yet. But I will try and have look though though I'll need to tread carefully incase I delete or reset something.

Another point, which may or not be crucial! After the garage rebuilt the ZF6HP21X-Gearbox, Immediately after I paid them and drove my car off the premises headed home, I got a huge huge bump when I came to a stop at the very first set of traffic lights(The workshop was closing for the night), so obviously I called the workshop to complain first thing in the morning, the answer I got was "Awe mate that'll be the Mecharonic unit needing reprogrammed with BMW", i said how come you didn't do this as part of the reconditioning of the gearbox, and I went on further to say how much is that going to cost me on top of paying you guys 2300 stirlings, they said in reply, "Awe" we don't touch the mechatronics they are two problematic we rebuilt the clutch, torque and bearings only, if we have to we send them out for repair and that would have been be an extra 1500 pounds stirling, ..So in hindsight I never would have authorised them to do the repair in the first place, I never thought that after paying a workshop to recondition my gearbox and after all that expense, I'd still have an issue with gears and more to fork out. I have been to BMW for a reprogram as from what I read on this forum its likely not going to do anygood forking out the money.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:08 PM

Man that sucks.

I donít have experience with this model transmission. In the states we got the gm 6L45E for 07 and up probably because we have the gas engines. What you said sounds plausible. Good luck and keep us posted.

Iíd probably take it to another shop for a second opinion. I agree thatís bs theyíd take your money and leave out something that important.

Old 12-10-2019, 05:26 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
Man that sucks.

I donít have experience with this model transmission. In the states we got the gm 6L45E for 07 and up probably because we have the gas engines. What you said sounds plausible. Good luck and keep us posted.

Iíd probably take it to another shop for a second opinion. I agree thatís bs theyíd take your money and leave out something that important.

No contract I suppose or I would go small claims

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search