Ontario police warn of 'SIM swapping' fraud - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. **Note** - Political posting is not allowed (or welcome) at Bimmerfest.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
Ontario police warn of 'SIM swapping' fraud

I' only use my phone for calls and texts no data thank God,

a well reputed bimmerfester got his bank accounts cleared for this scam

basically sending a security pin to a new phone with a cloned sim card, very very nasty !

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ting-1.5354567

The Ontario Provincial Police, along with Ontario's Serious Fraud Office and the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre, says this kind of fraud is concerning and incidents have been reported to police. The fraud involves the use of "phone number porting," police said.

"Fraudsters may empty your bank accounts, apply for credit in your good name, or impersonate you to defraud your entire contact list. In the meantime, you lose access to your mobile service, are typically locked out of all your accounts, and are left scrambling," the OPP says.

A "fraudster" will impersonate a person and call their mobile service provider to report a lost or stolen phone, the OPP said. Then, the fraudster will link the victim's phone number to a new SIM card and device that they control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2019, 07:46 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
They leave out the most dangerous aspect:

this defeats 'two factor authentication'....

Here's how:

1. They control your laptop, using a key logger or other spyware.
2. They know your local passwords, maybe your password for a password manager.
3. But you have two factor auth on bank and broker accounts- so when you go to log in, you get a text with an authentication code, and you enter this on the computer to log in...they cannot see your phone, so they cant get this code... right?
4. Wrong. They get your cell number from your laptop/computer, they call a cell provider (or pay some kid at the local cell store $100, 1000) and get the number ported to a new phone. A TON of ways to convince someone to do this for free.
5. Now they get the authentication code sent to a new phone they control.
6. Goodbye Accounts.

Ive locked down the cell accounts (but dont trust the company to always and only use my password)

I also have one computer dedicated only to access financial accounts. No browsing on it; no email on it. Only account access. And no accessing ANY $ accounts on my other 'dirty' devices.

If your phone stops working all of a sudden, turns on but no system access, CHECK FOR THIS ISSUE.

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 12-07-2019, 05:12 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
I wanted a SIM for my iPad. I had appear at the provider's brick&mortar to satisfy their security. There is a benefit to small towns and businesses.

My FA will do business only by telephone and USPS and we are well acquainted.

Now Milady Wife's customers, not so much.

ETA: From the linked article, " Contact a phone provider and ask about additional security measures that may be available.".
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 12-07-2019 at 05:18 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search