BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

F01/F02 microphone far too sensitive (fix)

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  daders 
#1 ·
Bluetooth on my iPhone 4S causes those I speak with to complain of excessive road noise and booming voice. Neither Apple or BMW (via dealer ticket) admits to knowing of this type of problem or of having a fix.

After being told there are no software configurable values for the car or phone to adjust (though some seem to exist for late model F10s in coding), I tried various materials between the driver and passenger mics and their plastic grills. Unfortunately, none worked. At best they muffled the noise (and my voice).

My solution was to build a short extension with hand crafted connectors between each mic and the car's wiring harness connectors. One wire was direct and the other had a 1K ohm 1/4 watt resistor in line. The resistor worked like a charm. No more complaints of road noise or booming. If I ever find the problem is my iPhone, I can always remove the extensions and resistors.

Removing each mic was simple. Just slide the mic grill straight back, flush to the headliner, and then gently pull down from the front (there is a large retaining lip at the rear of the mic, and a small retaining lip at the front).

#2 ·
Old thread revival...

My issue is people state it is very difficult to understand me as I sound far away, but I can hear them perfectly. I mentioned this issue to my SA when we first got the car and the response was unsatisfactory so I figured I could replace the microphone easily on my own and this has proven to not be true...

So I went to replace the driver side mic but when I pulled both grills out of the headliner discovered neither had the microphone attached to the grill as the piece intended. In fact I can't even locate the microphone on the driver side, only the wire (stuck my finger up there and can only feel wire as far as I can reach in both directions). The clearance is so tight and I was able to extract the passenger side mic and correctly snap it into the grill with no change in performance.

As far as I can tell the wire with connector should be coming from the left and rear of the car. Can you verify if this is correct? i have located some foam around the wire, but can not feel the connector, even tried hooking a metal tool around the wire to pull it down but it is too tight. I don't want to be tugging on the wrong section of wire expecting the microphone to come out and do actual damage should I lose patience, lol!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.