BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Diesel fill protection

933 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Mark K 
#1 ·
Our 2016 328D has is a protective flap that flips down to block the opening to fill the tank. It's intended to protect from filling with gasoline. The car does come with a special funnel that will open the flap and allow filling. I live in the country so I don't have many choices for fueling. The pump at my most frequented station trips the flap so I end up using the funnel and getting diesel on my hands plus the auto shutoff dosen't work with the funnel.

Is there a way to disable this device? Or....?

Thanks Rob

#4 · (Edited)
Our 2016 328D has is a protective flap that flips down to block the opening to fill the tank. It's intended to protect from filling with gasoline. The car does come with a special funnel that will open the flap and allow filling. I live in the country so I don't have many choices for fueling. The pump at my most frequented station trips the flap so I end up using the funnel and getting diesel on my hands plus the auto shutoff dosen't work with the funnel.

Is there a way to disable this device? Or....?

Thanks Rob
May have to find a new station. On my D the wider diesel fuel pump pushes two ridges in the fuel tank neck opening the tank. The small gasoline variant isn't large enough to trip the system. It works very well, I wonder why they redesigned it. I live where it is easy to find diesel so it's not an issue. Good luck. N4S

#8 ·
Sounds like a tough problem.I've only had to use the special plastic adapter a couple of times at stations that catered only to truckers.It *is* a pain in the neck and can cause smelly hands.Perhaps the fact that your mileage will result in having to stop for fuel occasionally will help.

#10 ·
OP, unfortunately, I am not sure you will get around this. I was in Asheville two years ago and couldn't fill up my TDI to save my life. After calm-down period, I remembered funnel for diesel BMWs and pump diameter problem. I went to a different pump and ... fueled immediately without a problem.

Possibly the best shot you have is to 3D-print cylinder which internal diameter is 21 mm and outer 24 mm, then apply it to the nozzle of your local pump. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.