BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New Owner - Few questions

844 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  RockyM 
#1 ·
Hi All!

Been lurking for the last several weeks and decided to actively start participating. Bought a pre-owned 2013 328i with around 40k miles on it a couple of weeks ago (traded in my GTI Wolfsburg edition, also 2013). Initial impressions about driving experience - the steering on the GTI seemed a lot tighter but the bimmer does have some insane low end torque.

Otherwise, the bimmer is just ahead in pretty much every department. In cabin noise, unfortunately, is just as bad as the GTI, but I kinda knew that going in.

Some questions:

1. Maintenance - What is generally DIY for somebody who is somewhat comfortable with car maintenance? - I just changed the cabin filter in my bimmer cos it stinked (the dirtiest filter I've pulled out ever, but I always change mine on my cars every year). I'm also reasonably comfortable cleaning out MAF sensors and minor TLC items. I did once install an aftermarket NAVI system on my Accord (full dash pull down, lots of cables and stuff like that).

2. Extended Warranty - I bought it at a non-BMW dealership and declined their ****ty third party extended warranty. Is it worth considering the BMW warranty? I've been in touch with a dealer and that is something I could buy. I was told there are three options, wondering which one to consider. Previously, I've never ever purchased the extended warranties (VW, Acura, Honda) as I've always believed it's better to save the same money for a rainy day.

I generally keep my cars for no more than a couple of years (average about 2.5) but I may keep this one for longer. (Can put anywhere between 7k-15k miles per year depending on my work requirements).

3. Auto-:mad:-Start Stop - I've had this on several rentals I've driven but the one in my bimmer drives me nuts. Also, read the manual and it says that the auto start-stop can cause increased wear and tear. I did search and read that it can be turned off forever by the dealer within warranty. Is this something that can be exercised by the second owner?

I know y'all ask for pics, been reading the forums. Do not have any handy at this moment but my car looks like this - https://youtu.be/lykldY69qvA?t=8s (blue luxury line, premium package, heated seats, driver assist, backup/overhead camera with parking sensors)_a_

See less See more
#3 ·
1. Maintenance - What is generally DIY for somebody who is somewhat comfortable with car maintenance? - I just changed the cabin filter in my bimmer cos it stinked (the dirtiest filter I've pulled out ever, but I always change mine on my cars every year). I'm also reasonably comfortable cleaning out MAF sensors and minor TLC items. I did once install an aftermarket NAVI system on my Accord (full dash pull down, lots of cables and stuff like that).

2. Extended Warranty - I bought it at a non-BMW dealership and declined their ****ty third party extended warranty. Is it worth considering the BMW warranty? I've been in touch with a dealer and that is something I could buy. I was told there are three options, wondering which one to consider. Previously, I've never ever purchased the extended warranties (VW, Acura, Honda) as I've always believed it's better to save the same money for a rainy day.
You need some serious coding experience (and a code reader/INPA/etc) to do electronic work on these cars. My opinion: don't. Most CELs and a lot of repair requires a code reader, even so.

The levels are: basic powertrain, most things, most things + electronics. Electronics are quite expensive to repair on these things, but your car is running so ... There is some flexibility in years/miles IIRC and more costs more.

#4 ·
Thanks! Don't plan on anything fancy like I did previously on my Accord. I was thinking about spark plug changes, but then I realized that there are fairly good independent BMW mechanics in big cities and that I wouldn't have to pay 400 for a 4 spark plug replacement job.

:thumbup:

#6 · (Edited)
3. Auto-:mad:-Start Stop - I've had this on several rentals I've driven but the one in my bimmer drives me nuts. Also, read the manual and it says that the auto start-stop can cause increased wear and tear. I did search and read that it can be turned off forever by the dealer within warranty. Is this something that can be exercised by the second owner?
Yes - just go to the dealer and tell them you want it programmed to remember the last setting.

#7 · (Edited)
Welcome! I am also from the GTI community, and did quite a bit of work myself on my GTI. I plan to perform oil changes and various filter changes on this 340, and that's about it. This car is just not as straightforward as the GTI, so I don't want to mess with things. When the time comes I will find a good local non-dealer shop.

Regarding the auto start-stop my wife had a 2015 Volvo and you could not permanently disable it. You had to press a button every time you fired up the engine. At least this 340 has a button allowing you to disable the function. You may not have this on your car but it should be programmable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.