BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Blown Turbo at 1500 miles?

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  need4speed 
#1 ·
An error message came up for drivetrain malfunction and it felt like I went from 330 hp to 30.

Turns out the exhaust gas wasn't building up enough back pressure to get the proper boost and so somehow the car shut off the turbo??

Anyone else experienced anything like this?

I have a 335 GT (2015) with MPPK.

I also have a steering wheel grinding noise when I turn the wheel.

So far I'm not thrilled with my high quality 63k car...

I hope my next several months are more reliable.

#3 ·
Your car went in to "Limp Mode", giving you just enough power to drive the car to the shop. (not the blown turbo that's reducing power). It does this to protect the engine.

Not sure about the grinding noise though... that doesn't sound good.

Unfortunately, that's the reality of owning a BMW. I had my e90 335 for 3 years, and I had the sunroof, center arm-rest lid, AC Compressor, AC Blower and steering wheel all replaced under CPO warranty + 3-4 recalls.

#6 · (Edited)
An error message came up for drivetrain malfunction and it felt like I went from 330 hp to 30.

Turns out the exhaust gas wasn't building up enough back pressure to get the proper boost and so somehow the car shut off the turbo??

Anyone else experienced anything like this?
Never heard of a turbo being shut down. In fact they are not designed to stop spinning while the engine is running. Did the error message indicate the turbo was shut down? If not, is that what the tech said about the stored codes?

have a 335 GT (2015) with MPPK.

I also have a steering wheel grinding noise when I turn the wheel.
Is it a chattering or scraping noise like a wheel turning against something?

So far I'm not thrilled with my high quality 63k car...
That's why complex cars are sold with high mileage multi-year warranties. Just get the problems fixed. And let us know what the problems turned out to be.

#7 ·
Turd-Bo

Just bought out lease on '14 335xi gt in Oct. One month later I get the old drive train malfunction warning ...... They had to bleed the Vanos System. One month later I smell a little oil burning giving me flashbacks to my youth of **** box cars. So I look around under the hood & the whole lower half of the pass side of motor is covered in oil. Bring it in, replacing turbo. The car has 24k on it & has been driven maturely. Not to say I don't get on it occasionally. I find this to be a troubling harbinger of things to come......Any advice is appreciated.

#8 ·
My F30 used to lose power after about an hour of driving at a consistent speed in Sport mode. I would have to stop, shut off the car, restart, then the car would come back to normal. It felt like all the turbo air was escaping rather than being used for power.

The dealership could never find the problem (or the solution...)

I no longer have the car.

#9 ·
My F30 used to lose power after about an hour of driving at a consistent speed in Sport mode. I would have to stop, shut off the car, restart, then the car would come back to normal. It felt like all the turbo air was escaping rather than being used for power.

The dealership could never find the problem (or the solution...)

I no longer have the car.

not surprised

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.