BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

The ultimate check your BMW 3 Series F30 deal thread

470K views 1K replies 287 participants last post by  335fresh 
#1 · (Edited)
In an attempt to reduce the number of threads created by number hungry potential leasees/purchasees, I've put together a spreadsheet that is far more comprehensive than any auto finance or lease calculator you'll find online.

In addition to merely presenting you with cash flows and monthly payment figures, this spreadsheet will also calculate roughly how good of a deal you are getting via a field called negotiating margin. Aside of just the sales price alone, the negotiating margin will increase if you are paying an excessively high money factor or doc fees which may be an indication you are leaving money on the dealer's side of the table.

The spreadsheet also allows you to explicitly set how fees and taxes are handled for leases. For example, you can configure the deal such that taxes are paid on the entire value of the car rather than just the depreciation. Additionally, you can also configure how taxes are paid whether it is cash due at signing, a cap cost adjustment, or simply a monthly component of your lease payment.

I've copied and pasted the help information below so you can get an idea of how flexible this spreadsheet is. Also, because BF does not allow .xlsx attachment, you'll have to click the link below to view the spreadsheet from my google drive. In order to edit the quantities, simply download the spreadsheet by clicking the downward pointing arrow towards the top-center of the viewer. All calculations are done using formulas, thus there are no macros embedded in the workbook.

Click here to open up the spreadsheet

Instructions

Read the instructions, this will assist you in filling out the information on the "Main" and "Data" sheets

Generally, you will spend the majority if your time on the "Main" sheet. However, occasionally you may need to change some numbers which are generally more universal.
These are found on the "Data" sheet. See section 7 for details on how to change values on the "Data" sheet.

The only values you need to fill in / choose are those in cells with a blue background

Section 1 needs to be filled in correctly to provide an accurate estimate of your negotiating power which is presented in Section 2. For purchase/lease comparisons fill out all sections.
Purchasees must fill out: Section 2, the first three questions in Section 3, and Section 5A.
Leasees must fill out: Section 2, Section 3, Section 4, and Section 6A.

Section 1: Type of sale
The purpose of this section is to provide information to the Sale Information section. This will help to determine dealer cost as well as your potential negotiating margin.
For leases, your negotiating margin will also be influenced by the lease acquisition fee as well as the money factor. If you pay in excess of their respective baseline quantities
on the "Data" sheet, this will be reflected in greater negotiating margin.

In this section, enter the following quantities:
1. Purchase Type [Lease/Buy]: Choose the appropriate value for your type of purchase
2. Delivery Type [US/Euro]: If you are picking up your car at the BMW Welt in Germany choose Euro, otherwise choose US

Section 2: Sale Information
1. Base vehicle MSRP: The price of the base vehicle before options, fees, etc.
2. Total of Options MSRP: The price of all the options the car has summed together.
3. Dealer Incentives: The total of any amounts the dealer is reimbursed for your purchase.
4. Sales Price: The negotiated sales price of the car including handling before any fees.
5. Admin/Misc/Doc Fees: The total of all paperwork fees charged by the dealer.
Note: This may include temporary registration. Do NOT add in any full registration/titling/licensing fees.​
6. Lease Acquisition Fee (leases only): The fee the dealer is charging to establish your lease agreement.

Section 3: Tax Questions
1. Tax Rate: Enter the tax rate you'll pay based on your location - may be a combination of state and local taxes.
2. Admin/Misc/Doc Fees Taxable [Yes/No]: Typically, these fees are NOT taxable, however if they are then select yes.
3. Trade In Tax Deduction [Yes/No]: In most states, the taxable amount is reduced by the value of your trade in. If it isn't select no.
4. Lease Acquisition Fee Taxable (leases only) [Yes/No]: Typically this fee is taxable, but if it is not then select no.
5. Lease Interest Taxable (leases only) [Yes/No]: In some states, the interest paid on leases is taxable. If this is not true about your state, select no.
6. Residual Value Taxable (leases only) [Yes/No]: In most states, taxes are only paid on the depreciation, however if your state taxes the full value of the car then select yes.

Section 4: Lease Cash Flow Questions
In this section, enter how the following quantities are paid:
1. Admin/Misc/Doc Fees [Cash At Signing/Cap Cost Adjustment]: Generally these are paid as Cash due at signing.
2. Lease Acquisition Fee [Cash At Signing/Cap Cost Adjustment]: Generally this is paid as Cash due at signing.
3. Lease Taxes: Some states require taxes to be paid up front, but you may have the option to finance the taxes.
Cash At Signing: Simple, taxes are paid in a single cash payment at signing.​
Cap Cost Adjustment: Taxes are added to the cap cost and are implicitly reflected in the monthly lease payments via greater cap cost.​
Monthly Payments: Taxes are paid monthly and are an explicit component of the monthly lease payment.​

Section 5A: Finance Information
1. Term: The number of months your financing agreement lasts for (typically 36-72).
2. Net Trade In Value: The value offered for your trade in less any balance owed on the trade in vehicle.
3. Down Payment: The amount of cash paid upfront towards the vehicle purchase.
4. Interest Rate: The annual interest rate on your auto loan.

Section 5B: Tax Information (Purchase)
Nothing to enter here, rather this section shows a breakdown of how the tax was calculated for your purchase.

Section 5C: Finance Details
Nothing to enter here, rather this section shows a breakdown of how much was paid for the car, how much was financed, and what the total cost of the purchase was with any interest paid over the financing term.

Section 6A: Lease Information
1. Term: The number of months your leasing agreement lasts for (typically 24-39).
2. Net Trade In Value: The value offered for your trade in less any balance owed on the trade in vehicle.
3. Down Payment: The amount of cash paid upfront towards cap cost reductions.
4. Residual Value: The percentage of the vehicle's value (based off MSRP) remaining at lease termination.
Note: BMW issues fixed percentages for residual values based on the vehicle, annual mileage, and lease term. These values typically change monthly. It is up to the leasee to enter the correct residual. Additionally, it is also up to the leasee to perform their due diligence to ensure the residual he/she is being quoted is "fair."​
5. Base Money Factor: The money factor being offered to you before any additional security deposits.
6. # Extra Security Deposits: The number of extra security deposits you are making upfront to reduce your money factor.
With all leases you will pay 1 security deposit upfront, but this will not reduce your money factor. However, you can make a maximum of 7 extra security deposits (total of 8) to minimize your money factor.​

Section 6B: Tax Information (Lease)
Nothing to enter here, rather this section shows a breakdown of how the tax was calculated for your lease.

Section 6C: Lease Details
Nothing to enter here, rather this section shows a breakdown of the lease depreciation, interest, and taxes. This section calculates the monthly lease payment as well as the amoutn of cash due at signing. Lastly, it also presents the amount of cash you would pay if you chose to make a cash purchase of the vehicle at the residual value upon lease termination. This may be helpful for a purchase/lease comparison.

Section 7: The "Data" Sheet
The values on this sheet can be considered to be relatively constant, however should you need to change anything here is a description of all the values on this sheet.
1. Base Discount Ratio: Percent of the base vehicle MSRP that the dealer pays. Note that this value depends on the type of delivery being taken. See column B for the respective delivery type.
2. Options Discount Ratio: Percent of the lines/packages/options that the dealer pays. Does not include destination and handling.
3. Destination Cost: Destination and Handling cost. This does not get discounted in the dealer's cost.
4. Lease Acquisition Benchmark: BMW's advertised cost for the Lease Acquisition Fee. Any Lease Acquisition fee paid in excess of this amount increases your negotiating margin.
5. Money Factor Benchmark: BMW's advertised minimum base money factor for US deliveries. Generally, this value is higher by 0.0003 for European Deliveries. MF paid in excess of this amount increases your negotiating margin.
6. SD Reduction: The amount your money factor is decreased by each additional security deposit.
7. Max # Extra SDs: The maximum number of additional security deposits you can make to lower your Money Factor.
8. SD Rounding Increment: The nearest amount your monthly payment will be rounded up to in order to determine the base cost of an individual security deposit.
Example: With a lease payment of $507 and an increment of $50, the cost of each security deposit will be $550.​
9. Lease Disposition Fee: The amount you will pay at the end of the lease should you not choose to purchase the car or enter into a new lease agreement with BMW.

See less See more
#33 ·
Many thanks for this spreadsheet! Two questions:

1. No values show up for 5C - Monthly Payment, Total Interest Paid or Total Cash Out. The fields show "#VALUE!" I cannot edit the fields to input values without a password...or should the spreadsheet be calculating these values?

2. With respect to "Potential Negotiating Margin"...if one receives this amount of discount, has the dealer sold the vehicle for cost?

#35 ·
Negotiating margin is basically the combination of 3 things:

1. The amount you are explicitly paying in excess of dealer cost.
2. Paperwork fees in excess of $200
3. The sum of all interest you would accrue on a lease if the car is leased at a MF higher than BMW's base money factor (changed monthly)

As for the #VALUE issues, something must not be entered correctly. Email me your spreadsheet and I'll take a look

#34 ·
Great Job

:thumbup:Thank YOU Thank YOU :thumbup: Very well done and truly timely as I attempt to "run" numbers for a new 428 convertible!

Is there a simple way of putting in part of the Tax up front? My county insists on collecting the Tax for any Lease at the outset, maybe even for a purchase, but the City & State collect it monthly.

Also entering in the base cost plus options less delivery fee (BMW) does not seem to allow for any negotiations as to discounts that might be offered. I noted a $ 1000 regardless of the price (several different examples) but have received perhaps ~ 6% discount offers from MSRP and also have USAA options.

Thanks again for great work, really took my calcs to a whole new level :bigpimp:!

#36 ·
:thumbup:Thank YOU Thank YOU :thumbup: Very well done and truly timely as I attempt to "run" numbers for a new 428 convertible!

Is there a simple way of putting in part of the Tax up front? My county insists on collecting the Tax for any Lease at the outset, maybe even for a purchase, but the City & State collect it monthly.

Also entering in the base cost plus options less delivery fee (BMW) does not seem to allow for any negotiations as to discounts that might be offered. I noted a $ 1000 regardless of the price (several different examples) but have received perhaps ~ 6% discount offers from MSRP and also have USAA options.

Thanks again for great work, really took my calcs to a whole new level :bigpimp:!
Unfortunately, I didn't put in any provisions to split the tax into different payment forms. However, what you could do is add in the amount of tax collected up front into the paperwork fees while neglecting the impact it has to the negotiating margin as the tax is non-negotiable.

Just make sure you have the option set so that paperwork fees are not taxed so that you don't double book keep that portion of the overall taxes.

#45 ·
I just NEED to say once again GREAT JOB! I wish I could buy you a drink. I have never used excel in my life. I am not great with numbers. I read your instructions and it worked perfect on the first attempt. Looks like I did well also, I have a $44.50 negotiating margin. :bow::beerchug:

#49 · (Edited)
The $1000 is from the UDE autocross event. The dealer said the $1,000 credit for attending the event will be applied to the cap cost reduction. The spread sheet allows me to assure that I am paying what I sb when the figures popped in the cells. As far as getting what I think will be a fair price I will use Edmunds and or similar. Tried to work out figures that needed a different sales tax rate and the cell is now locked. It is requesting a password to change that cell.

#51 ·
looking at 2015 328i xdrive 36month/10K
Msrp $49210.00
sell $45911.75
UDE $1,000 rebate
Adjusted cap cost $44911.75
MF .00130
Res 65%
tax 7.38
Taxes $1,356.56

due at signing $2,695.56
includes First month payment $459
acquisition fee $795
documentary fee $75
inspection fee $10
tax on cap cost red. $73.75
State sales tax $1,218.65
Doc. fee tax $5.53
Tax on upfront acq. $58.63

total inception fees $2,695.56
Credits disbursed as:
Negative surplus cash -$2,695.56

deal rebate as cap $1,000

Monthly payment $459.00
Using calculator it says dealer cost is $44,820.40 edmunds says cost is $45615
Which is correct?

According to attached spreadsheet I should have Negotiating margin of $1,290. Text Line Font Design Parallel

#59 ·
Thanks OP; very helpful negotiating tool.

I was approached last week by my CA to take advantage of a 6-month pull ahead on my lease. I currently have 8 payments remaining (will be 7 in two days), so initially I had no interest in getting into a new lease and having a window of more than one payment. However, after seeing the current residuals and incentives available, I feel inclined to at least entertain the opportunity. I currently have a 328i Sport Line and would love to get into a 340i M-Sport, but feel as though the deals will be much better on existing stock 2015 335's.

I'm going to pay a visit to my CA this weekend and see if we can structure a deal where I take delivery as close to the end of the month as possible (thereby reducing my lease 'overlap' to only about 10 days before I would only have had 6 payments remaining on my existing lease). Is it still reasonable to aim for Invoice + ~$1,000 on an outgoing model or do you think the deals will be better as they look to clear out 335s?

#60 ·
I'd expect you could easily do better than invoice + 1k on a 2015 335 though your window for ordering one is only a few weeks as MY2016 production starts at the beginning of July.

If you nab a 335 off a dealer lot, Invoice + 500 should be easy as the summer incentives kick in.

#65 ·
Hey guys.... I have been anxiously waiting and planning on getting a new bmw after paying off student loans for the last 2.5 years. Now completely out of debt, I went to see what kind of deal I could get and here is what we settled on. I'm hoping you can tell me if I got a good deal or not.... Keep in mind I know the base MF is .00129, but I also know my credit score falls somewhere between 670-690, so I wasn't sure if I could get that. I think a .00149 MF represents a difference of $10-15 per month from the .00129.

Lease

2015 328i
Mineral White w/ saddle brown leather

MSRP: 48,735
Selling Price: 44,251
+ fees,
-$2000 for trade in
MF: .00149
Residual: .65

Texas sales tax of 6.25%

36 mo/12k miles

Will write check for $1507 out the door with first months payment included, 35 more payments of $485 even (tax is included on that number)

After I had left the dealership, leaving with an offer of $2000 out the door and a payment around $530 (which I knew was significantly higher than it should've been) I called back and offered a check for $1500 and 475 a month. Within 5 minutes they called me back and offered the $1507 and $485 and I took it. The discount from MSRP was over 9%, which seems to be a pretty steep discount (isn't 5-7% good to shoot for?). Just wanted to see what those of you with more experience think.

It's my first ever lease, and I have spent so many hours on these (and other forums) trying to make sure I got a decent deal. They are detailing it for me in the morning and I will pick it up tomorrow afternoon, so let me know of anything else I should be wary of or ask about. Thanks!

#66 ·
320i

The girlfriend is looking at leasing a 320 or 328, and after checking dealer inventory at the location where I picked up my 2015 X5 35i in the winter, we came up with the following car they had on the lot and worked the numbers:

2015 320xi
Premium Package
Navigation System w/Touchpad

Additional Options:
Wood Trim Interior
Heated Seats
Transmission: 8-Speed Automatic w/STEPTRONIC

MSRP: $42,250
Selling price: $38,750
Doc fee: 200
Acquisition fee: $995
Cap fees: $400
Cap taxes: $1,220.58
Less Innovations credit: $1,000
Less UDE: $1,000

Residual: .64
Residual amount: $27,040
Miles: 12K
Rate/MF: .00099 (max MSDs = $5,800)

Payment = $369.69

The car is decently equipped with the options she needs and wants as well. Originally had her sights set on a 328, but for the budget, looks like this 320 is a pretty good deal as far as I can tell. Thoughts?

#67 ·
2015 328i xdrive pricing

I've been working on a selling price for a 2015 328i xdrive for a 36/15K lease.

So far I've been offered $44,385 for cold weather/prem/nav, excluding the $1000 anniversary cash. Original MSRP $47,590. No competitive offers from other dealers yet, just a lot of "would you consider a demo?".

My plan is no money down, and probably 7MSDs. In reading the forums it seems that others have gotten a better % off MSRP. One of the dealers said he couldn't compete with the above offer and that if that was offered, it was a very good deal.

I've been studying a lot trying to get proficient at understanding/calculating leases, but need some expert advice. Can I do better or should I look at less expensive options? I thought with model year end I would get a better deal.

Thank you all for your time and advice on this forum.

#70 ·
I've been working on a selling price for a 2015 328i xdrive for a 36/15K lease.

So far I've been offered $44,385 for cold weather/prem/nav, excluding the $1000 anniversary cash. Original MSRP $47,590. No competitive offers from other dealers yet, just a lot of "would you consider a demo?".

My plan is no money down, and probably 7MSDs. In reading the forums it seems that others have gotten a better % off MSRP. One of the dealers said he couldn't compete with the above offer and that if that was offered, it was a very good deal.

I've been studying a lot trying to get proficient at understanding/calculating leases, but need some expert advice. Can I do better or should I look at less expensive options? I thought with model year end I would get a better deal.

Thank you all for your time and advice on this forum.
Use the spreadsheet in the first post and follow the instructions. You have the right strategy, just make sure you're being offered the right numbers. Negotiating margin of $500 or less is great.

#68 ·
Hey guys need help on a 435i lease deal. Let me know what you think.

2015 435i, Alpine white/ Coral Red Interior
All Packages are included (M-Sport, Nav, Premium, Drivers Assist., Full Lighting)

Additional Options Included:
Gloss Black Kidney Grills
Rear Performance Spoiler

MSRP: $63,835.00
Selling price: $58,465.00
Due on Delivery: $2,155.53

Total term depreciation: $18,887.30
Monthly Dep: $524.65
Monthly Lease Charge: $125.49
Base Payment:$650.14

Estimated Fees/Term: $1476.00
Total Taxes: $1820.99

Residual: .62
Residual amount: $39,577.00
Miles: 10K
Rate/MF: .00128

Monthly Payment = $698.90

#69 ·
Different question- I have a 2009 Bmw - the fuel injectors are not working. I had a Bmw dealer evaluate it. I bought the parts and have someone replace all 6 injectors - does anyone know how many hour job it is? Has anyone had an experience where fuel injectors needed to be replaced?

#71 ·
I think I'm too stupid for the Spreadsheet :(

I got the following offer:

European, delivery, US MSRP 55250
Negotiated price 47440 (500 over invoice)

MF 0.00110 w/ 7 MSD (base 0.00159)
36 month, 66% residual

995 acquisition fee (need to negotiate down to 795, but that's only 15/month)

Dealer quotes me 425 for that with 4500 down (due to the 7 MSDs worth 3500, so really only 1000).

The lease deal also includes an annual 420 "Ttl Annual fee" and 116 "Ttl Initial fee", which makes the total lease cost 468 / month (this is in California).

Is that the normal yearly California dmv fee or some extra dealer profit?

The spreadsheet otoh gives me 4000 for the Security Deposit (not even dividable by 7) and a rate of 463 but without these Ttl items.

From my own calculation 425 is actually pretty close to optimal.

#72 ·
The lease deal also includes an annual 420 "Ttl Annual fee" and 116 "Ttl Initial fee", which makes the total lease cost 468 / month (this is in California).
Never mind, that's bogus. That's actually only the initial title cost for DMV. Everything is good and I think the spreadsheet actually matches the numbers (minus the security deposit being wrong).

I'll probably increase the downpayment a bit got decrease the deposit and bring the monthly down. Shouldn't matter over the whole lease duration though.

#73 · (Edited)
I also need some help!

Looking at this:

2016 435i xDrive Gran Coupe
Carbon black or white (haven't decided)
Saddle brown or coral red (haven't decided)
M Sport with orbit gray 19" 442m (no up charge)
Cold weather
Driver assist
Track
Tech
MPPK
Mpe
Black kidney grills

He's coming up with an MSRP of around $65.5K.

Local dealer wants 60k flat. I told him mark up in mppk and Mpe is huge ( but i don't know invoice on these) and I think he can do better at 59k, or does anyone know if i can do better than that?

He said residual for 15k will probably be 58%.
Would it be better to get a 10K and prepay miles? I haven't done that calculation yet, but if anyone already has experience, it would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, all you guys are amazing with your advice. Some suckers walk right into a dealership with no idea how much oney they could be saving!

Kudos!:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.