BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Alfa Giulia

3K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  Michael Schott 
#1 ·
I am so enthralled about my new 340i M Sport that I wonder what I will look at next.

Still missing that e90 335i feeling, I am going to have a test drive of the Giulia soon.

Jethero Bovington writes about it in the latest edition of EVO.

But, nothing like getting the real low down on a motor...know what I mean? Without the BS, flannel, woffle etc.

Now then, who was that 'say it how it is' guy the BBC sacked after he slapped a stupid producer?...ah yes...

http://www.driving.co.uk/car-reviews/clarkson-review-alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio-verde/

Has anyone driven one yet?

Better than an M3?

And as for the market moving towards lack of feel in favour of more knobs, bells and wifi...round objects!

It's my money...market forces here they come.

:p

See less See more
#2 ·
More power to you if you can afford a 60,000 pound car. I'm sure the Alfa even its more basic form will be a quality drivers car. However they are not looking to sell in 3 series volumes so they can be more targeted. And if Fiat quality is any indication, it will make BMW look like Lexus.

As far as Clarkston's canning, he made his own bed. The slapping which was moronic and arrogant was the last straw.

#3 ·
Same price as M3 cars over here.

How do you know what volumes Alfa seeks to produce, or could produce in the medium term? If they get the demand I'm sure they will seek to meet it. And as far as targeting goes, how many marketeers are there that got their marketing mix wrong in the first year? Go back a few years and Jaguar certainly did, as did a few US car makers.

Yet Clarkson lives on, as does his brand, no matter what we think of his behaviour. Chris Evans and his US mate saw to that...within a few weeks of putting out the new and improved show.

Clarkson was right about Vauxhall cars.

Are you as moderator happy for us to have an open debate on this? I just want to know if anyone has driven one and if they thought it was better than an M3...per op.

:dunno:

#4 ·
Same price as M3 cars over here.

How do you know what volumes Alfa seeks to produce, or could produce in the medium term? If they get the demand I'm sure they will seek to meet it. And as far as targeting goes, how many marketeers are there that got their marketing mix wrong in the first year? Go back a few years and Jaguar certainly did, as did a few US car makers.

Yet Clarkson lives on, as does his brand, no matter what we think of his behaviour. Chris Evans and his US mate saw to that...within a few weeks of putting out the new and improved show.

Clarkson was right about Vauxhall cars.

Are you as moderator happy for us to have an open debate on this? I just want to know if anyone has driven one and if they thought it was better than an M3...per op.

The car is not even on the market, at least in the US.

As far as volume, BMW sells about 100,000 3/4 series in the US annually. Whether or not Alfa can build that many for our market is immaterial. They will not sell even a small fraction of that in the US. I cannot speak for the UK or the rest of Europe.

As far as open discussion, why are you asking this? Of course we can have open debate on this topic.

Last comment for me on Top Gear, it will go on without Jeremy. I think the first season was pretty good, not as good as with he, Hammond and May but once again the BBC had no choice. I like Clarkson but his behavior was not appropriate. As far as his opinions, they were fun but he was wrong far more than he was right.

#5 · (Edited)
Just seemed a bit OTT for a moderator to be the first to post on a new thread. A no no when I was a moderator. Never mind...hope you haven't frightened everyone off.

"The turbocharged 2.9-litre V6 has been built with Ferrari influence presiding over it and produces a massive 503bhp and 600Nm of torque. This makes the Quadrifoglio hugely fast, with a 0-62mph time of just 3.9secs and a top speed of more than 191mph. With this engine fitted, the Giuila can lap the infamous Nurburgring more than 13secs faster than the BMW M4."

http://www.theweek.co.uk/72035/alfa-romeo-giulia-2016-all-the-details

#8 ·
The car is not about here either.

I can remember waiting for a Mazda with a v6 to come into the showrooms ... Next month never came.

That's when I got my Volvo, back in 2001...fully expensed Co car that I bought for half its price after a year when I retired. :)

Later this year then, although mag editors are doing test drives. Thought perhaps they might have come out in US. :(

The other thing is residuals and customer care. Not too many Alfa dealers in S Wales. And not of the calibre of our bigger UK BMW dealers, from memory.

Wonder what deal they might offer???

:thumbup:

#9 ·
Alfa Romeo is now owned by Fiat/Chrysler. Its current cars are not derivative of Ferrari, so the Ferrari reference can be chalked up to marketing hyperbole. However, the Giulia has gotten some good reviews.

I had a Alfa GTV some years ago (it was a 72) that was a great fun car to drive, but became increasingly unreliable as it aged. But I still have a fond spot for Alfa. What is not so great is its $70,000 base price.

#13 ·
Alfa Romeo is now owned by Fiat/Chrysler. Its current cars are not derivative of Ferrari, so the Ferrari reference can be chalked up to marketing hyperbole. However, the Giulia has gotten some good reviews.

I had a Alfa GTV some years ago (it was a 72) that was a great fun car to drive, but became increasingly unreliable as it aged. But I still have a fond spot for Alfa. What is not so great is its $70,000 base price.
An Italian car from the 70's was unreliable? No way!

#10 ·
I have a 1988 Alfa Romeo Milano Verde (aka Alfa 75) very advanced technically for the 1980's - sodium filled exhaust valves, hemispherical combustion chambers, in board rear brakes, de dion rear suspension, transaxle car, Brembo brakes, torsion bar front suspension. From what I have read of the Giulia, it sounds like a strong M3 competitor. FCA reliability is not very good, the more interesting version will be when the Hellcat motor goes in a Giulia chassis version of the Charger or Challenger.

#16 ·
I had a GTV6 and very much interested in this new car, when I was in Sedona a couple of months back, I saw two Giuila's one was a normal one the other was the Quadrifoglio, let me tell you the Quadrifoglio sounded awesome, but the price tag will be out of this world.

#11 · (Edited)
Book your test drive...its out in September.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/m...-romeo-giulia-confirmed-september-2016-launch

Old link I know...

By the end of 2018, Alfa wants to be selling 400,000 cars a year, a six-fold increase on last year's levels. A full relaunch in North America is part of this Alfa reboot, which Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) boss Sergio Marchionne said was only now possible due to FCA's investment potential and global distribution network. Such a dramatic reboot, added Marchionne, was: "the only opportunity" for Alfa to prosper.

Edit...they are just taking orders this year...drat...and whose going to order one without a test drive?

#18 ·
For years I thought it was crap...just didn't get his sense of humour.

But, no offence at all, US humour is different to UK. :)

There was quite a following over here which could not be replaced. Chris Evans is a great DJ...always a laff on Radio 2.

Clarkson ruined the denim jeans market.

:thumbup:

#20 ·
Still can't find a UK release date...anyone?

And why can't BMW bring out a 3 litre v6 that churns out 500 bhp and can get around the Ring so fast? More than one turbo??

This might be like stealing sweeties off a baby if someone doesn't wake the beep up.

#22 ·
If you're so smitten by the Alfa, why not go pester the Alfa forums? Many of us are old enough to remember dozens of autos that were going to set BMW and the rest of the industry on its collective ear. Triumph Stag or TVR Tuscan, anyone?

Let us know how it all works out for you.

#26 ·
We've been on BF quite a long time. Very rarely (if ever) have we seen one particular member go so overboard in hyping a competitor's product. 13 out of the first 23 posts feels more like guerilla marketing than "talking about a competitor".

To my eyes, the Giulia looks like a Chinese knockoff of a E91, with a Saturn interior. Not sure I've ever seen an Italian car that left me more nonplussed. It's like someone at FCA recycled some drawings that Bangle rejected. Meh.

#31 ·
we've been on bf quite a long time. Very rarely (if ever) have we seen one particular member go so overboard in hyping a competitor's product. 13 out of the first 23 posts feels more like guerilla marketing than "talking about a competitor".....
+1

#27 ·
I'm sure there are better cars than the 340i M Sport. What I'd like to know, from my own point of view, is how much better and for what cost. There are deals to be had, like the £12,000 reduction I had off my pre-registered car with just delivery miles on it.

Sooo, I may well try to get a test drive of the Quad and see what deal could be had.

There would be no big deal if I couldn't get a similar offer. My current Bimmer may not have the great feel as my old 335i N54, but I guess that may have to be put down to 'progress'.

Don't think that's being disloyal...after all, it's not like cheating on one's Mrs, is it? :rofl:

#30 ·
I would imagine you will see the car sooner in the UK than we will in the US, since Alfa has maintained a market presence there. Here, at least going by Alfa USA's web site, they are billing the Guilia as a 2017 model. Of course, they are highlighting the Quadrofolio, but now they have info on the base and Ti models as well.

Depressing to me, only a proper manual transmission in the Quadrofolio. The increasingly ubiquitous ZF 8 Speed auto is the only trans for all other models.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.