BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW Base Support System (Roof Rack) Question

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  sjpaul 
#1 ·
Can someone with experience using the BMW Base Support System on F30 let me know if it is easy to take it off when not in use. To give you an idea, I don't mind spending 5-10 minutes every weekend unscrewing a few screws to take it off and putting it on. I'll use it primarily to take my bike to the trail once maybe twice a week.

But if the task requires doing something that may damage or loosen the parts,screws,etc. I'd probably leave them up there or consider getting a hidden trailer hitch.

If you have any recommendation for a different brand, in terms of ease of installation and removal, or noise, etc. please share.

Much appreciated. My first post!

#2 · (Edited)
I have it and it takes 5 minutes once you get used to it. I leave it on for weeks at a time just out of laziness. Works great. Kayak on top too. Actually can put kayak and bike with the right attachments. Well worth it. Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Mode of transport Automotive luggage rack

#5 · (Edited)
F30/31 base cross bars

I have had both the F30 base rack and now the F31 cross bars. After completing the initial one-time set-up adjustments, the factory bars take about 3-4 minutes to install. Removal is much faster with either the F30 or F31 system.

These factory base roof racks are very well engineered and very secure, once installed !

#6 ·
Here is with a bike. Couldn't find it before. It truly is as ideal as one can ask. I had a SUV before with the hitch mounted bike rack and that was easier, but it limited access to the rear of the vehicle. I just decided there is no perfect solution. But this is nice

Attachments

#8 ·
Hi All, so i got the support system and bike carrier and I'm very happy with the set up. One downside has been the noise. Even at very low speeds (starts at about 15mph), there is a whistle (very high pitch squeal) coming from the thing. This is separate from the amplified wind noise that I was expecting anyway. Any suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.