BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Black or Oyster?

4K views 51 replies 17 participants last post by  wrickem 
#1 · (Edited)
Trying to decide between Black and Oyster leather for a future 330i/M Sport. Had lots of cars with black interiors and thought it would be nice to have a 2-tone lighter color this time. Concern is that Oyster may convey "luxury" rather than "sport."

Also, thinking about brushed aluminum or (if it can be ordered) Aluminum Hexagon trim with Blue highlight. Which has a higher quality feel?

Exterior will be white. Track handling package with black wheels is a possibility.

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

#3 · (Edited)
I originally thought Aluminum Hex was the only option, but the BYO website only references brushed aluminum (for 2017 cars).

I have mixed feelings about black wheels, though less so with a white car. My main priority is getting non-RFTs and I don't see any other way to order the car.

#4 ·
You can never go wrong with black! I wanted a lighter interior after my dark one and went with Oyster on my white 435. I like the contrast and the benefit I forgot about is the ambient lighting really shows up well on the lighter color. It's a little more care after wearing dark denim, but I don't mind at all. You can't go wrong with either though.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

#12 ·
Our 3GT has the Oyster Interior and we love it, I have tan interior in my 320, the black interior I don't think say Sport, it says cramped and small. The Lighter Interior gives the interior a bigger feel. I'll never own another car with black interior if I can help it.

#16 ·
Oyster may need more upkeep than black leather, and be careful of dark leather belts and dark jeans discoloring the light leather color.

E.g. before ordering my F30 the CA tried to sell a F10 535i@$10k off MSRP. The test drive did not go well. In addition there was a 3-inch black/discolored strip on rear seat oyster leather that detail guys could not fix. The CA offered to replace the cover but the deal was instead declined.

#17 ·
Dakota leather requires the same maintenance regardless of color. Black simply hides the crap on it -and most of the time that is what makes black seats look like crap after a couple of years.

Oyster may need more upkeep than black leather, and be careful of dark leather belts and dark jeans discoloring the light leather color.

E.g. before ordering my F30 the CA tried to sell a F10 535i@$10k off MSRP. The test drive did not go well. In addition there was a 3-inch black/discolored strip on rear seat oyster leather that detail guys could not fix. The CA offered to replace the cover but the deal was instead declined.

#33 ·
Just my opinion, I keep going w/ black. It does make the interior feel dark (esp w/ anthracite headliner) and a lil smaller but the only other color I would like is mocha. But of course isn't available in the F30. I say no oyster, or any other light interior, as I have "ginger beige" interior on my GLE right now. The dealer even put on the ResistAll interior protection and I still go through Lexol like it's candy. Coral red looks good but it's too much for me on a daily basis. It is a real red color. I test drove a car w/ saddle interior and it didn't do anything for me. Brushed aluminum trim, yes. Blue highlight, no.

#34 ·
I am a little uneasy about the blue accent, but I've seen some YouTube videos of it, and it seems to brighten up and reinforce the silver trim nicely.

I've had 4 white/black cars in my lifetime and I haven't tired of it, but it can be dark inside.

#38 ·
I had Lemon leather in a 135i, which looks to be even paler than Oyster.

Between Lexol treatments I always carried around Armor All Leather Wipes to deal with any streaks immediately before it had a chance to get engrained.

My current car is the only one I've ever had black leather in, and while the orange stitching and Alcantara bits help to liven it up a bit I generally hate the overall dungeon appearance. The fact there is no moonroof to let additional light in doesn't help, but I don't mind since its a singularly focused vehicle.

Agree with Herr Schott that Coral red is the raciest/sportiest with AW.

During the E46 era for a couple of years Tanin red leather was available, which is a more blue red than Coral. It really popped with JB, AW or Steel gray.

But considering your options and bent I think Oyster looks tasty as well.

Attachments

#42 ·
I have Mineral Grey with Oyster - I love the contrast. Tougher to keep clean for sure.

Attachments

#49 ·
Thank you for the kind words, sir. The interior is actually Lemon. I try to select complementary colors, which most times mean you have to place a special order and extend the wait time to delivery. But since I always intend to buy and hold for a long while at purchase, you might as well spec it exactly as you need for that possible long haul.

Going back to Oyster, I recently attended the local metro Auto Show and they had a 5 series with Oyster interior.

The below pic displays it as it appeared at 11 am, around opening time on the only the 2nd day of the show, and shows what happens when Oyster goes bad. :)

Attachments

#50 ·
This is my first black interior. I was hesitant to get it, but the car was otherwise equipped with most everything I wanted, and the price was right, so I pulled the trigger. I must say, I love my black interior (especially the red accents).

What color are the carpets with Oyster? Are they black (like the Saddle Brown)? If not, I would not be interested in Oyster.

However, color is such a personal and subjective decision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.