BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Armrest USB charging apple phone slow?

8K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Arthurrs 
#1 ·
I have a 13 335i and when I plug in my phone to the USB under the armrest it barely charges the phone. More like keeps it at same level. Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks

#3 ·
Have you tried a different cable?

Some of my iPhone cables have wore out after a year or two of use and while he connections seem fine, I noticed they stop providing current to the phone randomly (The lightning bolt would cycle off an on) in the car or inside my home. Once replaced everything was fine.

The next thing to try is buy a USB voltage tester for $5-$10 and check the port.

#4 ·
USB jacks in the center arm rest from that era only supply 500 mA, which is standard USB 2.0 spec (and still is to this day). Since then we have smartphones that can charge faster if the USB port supports higher current outputs (my newer iPhone 6S can draw up to 1.2 A of power), and some newer USB products can supply a higher current when the data handshake between devices informs each other of that possibility, however these types of features are outside of standard USB spec, and are manufacturer specific. Unfortunately you are limited by what the USB port in your car is able to put out as designed in 2012. You can buy a higher current USB charger to plug into your 12 VDC jack to get faster charging, but then your iPhone is no longer plugged into your car for music.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.