Tire pressure: Which source to believe? - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Discuss everything about wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your BMW.
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

Old 06-22-2019, 05:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Continental DW's and DWS06's have something similar, with a "DW" or "DWS" embedded in the tread. "D" stands for "dry." "W" stands for "wet." "S" stands for "snow."

Some slicks have dimples in them for measuring depth of the rubber.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtjm View Post
Y would anyone want to spend more than one penny to measure tread depth? Heck you probably can find a penny outside right now. Even cheaper yet, the 2/32" wear bars come free with the tire.
If you're worried about parting with $4, maybe you shouldn't be driving a BMW. Kia's are nice.

I went for decades with just the $4 tread depth gauges. I still have some made in the U.S.A. Those types of gauges eventually wear out, in that the plastic plunger wears and no longer holds a reading. You can now buy Chinese-made mechanical gauges in ten-packs for $15.

Tread depth gauges have increments of 32nds of an inch and millimeters. I was having to eyeball my measurements to a 1/2 or 1/4 of a 32nd of an inch. I'm not worried about the actual depth of a circumferential channel to 1/128th of an inch. But, I want to identify the TRENDS of the wear. By identifying the TRENDS of the wear early, I can correct problems before significant damage to the tires occurs.

I got the idea for a machinist's depth gauge from a BF-er who owned a machine shop.

I've worn out 58 tires in my life, with 26 of them being less durable high-performance tires. I've averaged just over 57k miles out of those 58 tires.

I'll likely get 50k+ miles out of the OE tires on Frau Putzer's X3. I get rid of BMW's at 100k miles. So, if I get 50k miles out of the second set of tires, I'll avoid having to buy a third set ... at about $1000 per set.

This one looks like it'd be better than the one I have, in that it has a thinner probe. It's cheaper ($10), too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078TCYPR7..._t3_B00GCBMAJK

Last edited by Autoputzer; 06-22-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: 328ix sdn; M240ix cpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
If you're worried about parting with $4, maybe you shouldn't be driving a BMW. Kia's are nice.

I went for decades with just the $4 tread depth gauges. I still have some made in the U.S.A. Those types of gauges eventually wear out, in that the plastic plunger wears and no longer holds a reading. You can now buy Chinese-made mechanical gauges in ten-packs for $15.

Tread depth gauges have increments of 32nds of an inch and millimeters. I was having to eyeball my measurements to a 1/2 or 1/4 of a 32nd of an inch. I'm not worried about the actual depth of a circumferential channel to 1/128th of an inch. But, I want to identify the TRENDS of the wear. By identifying the TRENDS of the wear early, I can correct problems before significant damage to the tires occurs.

I got the idea for a machinist's depth gauge from a BF-er who owned a machine shop.

I've worn out 58 tires in my life, with 26 of them being less durable high-performance tires. I've averaged just over 57k miles out of those 58 tires.

I'll likely get 50k+ miles out of the OE tires on Frau Putzer's X3. I get rid of BMW's at 100k miles. So, if I get 50k miles out of the second set of tires, I'll avoid having to buy a third set ... at about $1000 per set.

This one looks like it'd be better than the one I have, in that it has a thinner probe. It's cheaper ($10), too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078TCYPR7..._t3_B00GCBMAJK
Do BMW's have some mythical kind of tires that require a tread depth gauge? NO. Use a penny, nickel, quarter, or the built in wear bars. Heck take a piece of plastic and measure out incriments if you want to be technical. If you are concerned about discerning .01mm tread depth then you probably shouldn't own a car period.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtjm View Post
Do BMW's have some mythical kind of tires that require a tread depth gauge? NO. Use a penny, nickel, quarter, or the built in wear bars. Heck take a piece of plastic and measure out incriments if you want to be technical. If you are concerned about discerning .01mm tread depth then you probably shouldn't own a car period.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
My relatively expensive tire gauge. G. H. Meiser Accu-gage EZ-02

https://www.ghmeiser.com/ez-air-series.htm

Measuring and setting air pressures is perhaps the LEAST ACCURATE thing that we do. We use PSIG without thinking of it or of the significance of the 'G' gauge.

OF your indications that you are seeing, I would trust the analogue gauge.
I just bought two new Meiser “Accu-Gage” 75 PSI gauges, gifts for Frau Putzer’s friends who are having “tire issues.” I got them 75 PSI gauges so they can check their donut spare with the same guage. I decided to compare them to three gauges I have laying around. “+” and “-“ mean just barely off the line on the gauge face.

Accu-Gage 75 PSI #1 41+
Accu-Gage 75 PSI #2 41+
Accu-gage 60 PSI 41-
Blue Point 100 PSI 42.5
Inter-Comp 60 PSI 41

So, the 60 and 75 PSI gauges are within about a half-PSI of each other. The Blue-Point 100 PSI gauge is a Snap-On branded Meiser, and is probably 20 years old.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Today's Posts Search