1999 Business CD radio - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 Z3
1999 Business CD radio

I bought my 99 Roadster a month ago knowing that the radio appeared dead and was told the top didn't work. Since then I've discovered the top does work but the radio doesn't even light up except for the blinking red alarm light. I know the previous owner had some battery problems and had the battery out several times until he just bought a new one. I'm wondering if there may be a fuse or something that's blown or does nothing in the readout window really mean that it is dead? I'm not too keen on the new radio styles and would like the original one to work if possible. Used ones are going for close to $400 on ebay and I don't want to put that much money into a radio that I hardly ever would use. BUT, my wife likes her tunes and I hate when something doesn't work so it bothers me. Anyone have any ideas how to revive this radio without a great deal of money?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2019, 04:19 PM
The Arkleyologist

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3 Roadster 2.8
Roger...just my opinion...unless you feel you must have the orignal cd radio, you would be much better off with a good after market radio....they are typically superior in every way...
Old 06-23-2019, 04:27 PM

I agree that the newer radios would be the way to go. I just don't like the futuristic look of them. I do like the better features that would make for a better radio. I just like a more retro look and not have to pay $400 for it. I'll probably have to go with a new Alpine or Kenwood (or ???). And, it should be an easy install and upgrade. I'm somewhat concerned that I don't know what the condition of the rest of the audio system is (speakers, amp, etc.). Maybe they'l fried or damaged also.

Thanks for your response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2019, 06:54 PM
The Arkleyologist

Totally understand Roger...and agree...there have been discussions on this forum before regarding the boy racer light show radios. However, if you go to Crutchfield they typically have 60+ selections for your Z3.. a few of them are tasteful...
Old 06-24-2019, 08:00 AM

radio visibility in sunlight

Anyone have any success with a good radio with a readout that is still visible in sunlight while driving with the top down? Crutchfield recommended the JVC or Kenwood Marine radios. I'm also wondering about buying a radio that has a built-in amp. Will it be affected by the Z3 powered amp? I mostly want to be able to see the clock while I'm driving as I can't see the BMW clock unless it's kinda dark out.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:52 PM
The Arkleyologist

I currently have the JVC KD-R99MBS Marine Bluetooth CD Radio installed in my 1997 Z3. It is a simple three wire hookup (constant power, key controlled power, and ground) (red, orange, black). And of course the stock bmw antenna hookup. It is exremely capable just as it comes from JVC.
* I always have my hardtop on my car..but have never had a problem viewing the JVC display.

Last edited by ZEEBOY; 06-24-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:28 AM

Thanks Zeeboy, Thant's one of the two that Crutchfield recommended yesterday. The other was the Kenwood KMR-D375BT. I like the over-all design and features of the Kenwood but it's silver while the JVC is black. I think that I would prefer the Kenwood because it has better reviews and the JVC has a lot of negative reviews, but I'm leaning towards the JVC only because the black would look better in my Z3 which has a black interior. I guess since you always have your hardtop on you can't comment on the visibility of the readout in direct sunlight?

Have you (or anyone) ever tried to charge your phone in the USB port? I have a Android cell and a Garmin GPS and I'm wondering if the 1.5 amp USB port would run the Garmin??? My neighbor tried to charge his phone in his stock KIA radio's USB port and he said it took forever to charge.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:58 AM

I called Crutchfield to order a new JVC KD-R99MBS radio and asked about the "View Notes" on the installation package. Turns out you need to extend the wiring harness back to the amplifier in the trunk to hook it up because it's an amplified radio and the BMW amp plus the radio amp won't work together. Alternately there's some little black box that you can buy separately for $30+ that will do about the same thing without having to run the harness back. It reduces the power to one of the amps (don't remember which one?). I'm disappointed because I thought it would just be plug and play with the included Crutchfield install kit. So I guess I'm stuck looking at the dead Business CD radio. I don't listen to the radio when I drive anyways but my wife does. She aid to just forget about it.
Old 06-25-2019, 07:53 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerEH View Post
I called Crutchfield to order a new JVC KD-R99MBS radio and asked about the "View Notes" on the installation package. Turns out you need to extend the wiring harness back to the amplifier in the trunk to hook it up because it's an amplified radio and the BMW amp plus the radio amp won't work together. Alternately there's some little black box that you can buy separately for $30+ that will do about the same thing without having to run the harness back. It reduces the power to one of the amps (don't remember which one?). I'm disappointed because I thought it would just be plug and play with the included Crutchfield install kit...
I looked at that radio and kit when you first posted it, and again now, and I don't see anything about extending a harness to the old amp. (EDIT: After your Post #12, I did see it. I think it could be erroneous.)
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDR...tooth_CD_Radio
With all the new radios that have their internal amps, I thought Crutchfield's adapter harnesses just disconnected the old amp.
But you say you talked to Crutchfield?

Last edited by vintage42; 06-25-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:07 AM
Warning - Thin Air

Mein Auto: 2002 M Roadster/2014 435i
How about putting in one of the hidden car radios? You can keep the stock radio for looks and the hidden radio for sound.

2014 435i M-Sport, Mineral Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Driver Assistance Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 8 Speed Sport AT, Heated Front Seats, Active Cruise Control, BMW MPPK w/MPE, BMW Limited Slip Diff, BBS CH Wheels.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:53 AM
The Arkleyologist

Roger....not that complicated...you do not need the extra harness..simply get the adaptor provided by Crutchfield (hooks up the eight speaker wires, constant power wire for memory, key controlled power wire, and ground...that is all you do. The internal amp in the JVC radio is more than adequate to power your system...I would argue that it is much better than the factory radio with the ancillary amp...it is a very easy install.
If I recall correctly, they also send an adaptor that allows you to simply plug in your existing antenna wire behind the dash directly into your new JVC radio...if you like..I can send you a picture/video of my existing setupup.

Last edited by ZEEBOY; 06-25-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:42 AM

Yes, I called Crutchfield to order the JVC radio and asked about the special note in "What you need to install". They checked and called me back telling me about the conflict between the radio amp and the BMW trunk amp. They sell the extended harness but I said I wasn't going to run a new line from the car radio in dash to the amp in the trunk. I was told that there's also some kind of small black box ($30ish)that can be inserted behind the radio to balance the sound output the same as running the extended harness. Apparently they interfere with each other. I read something about the trouble with two amps somewhere else before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sshot-2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	855957  
Old 06-25-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEEBOY View Post
Roger....not that complicated...you do not need the extra harness..simply get the adaptor provided by Crutchfield (hooks up the eight speaker wires, constant power wire for memory, key controlled power wire, and ground...that is all you do. The internal amp in the JVC radio is more than adequate to power your system...I would argue that it is much better than the factory radio with the ancillary amp...it is a very easy install.
If I recall correctly, they also send an adaptor that allows you to simply plug in your existing antenna wire behind the dash directly into your new JVC radio...if you like..I can send you a picture/video of my existing setupup.
I'd be interested in see that and asking them about it.
Thanks
Old 06-25-2019, 01:26 PM
The Arkleyologist

Unfortunately I was not able to find install pics...here is one I took today in my driveway..after checking, you can simply plug in your exitsting bmw antenna wire that is already inside the dash into the jvc radio receptacle..no adaptor needed..
I have installed five or more aftermarket radios into various Z3s...I have never done anything except simply wire it into the Crutchfield wiring adaptor..no extra harnesses or black boxes..I think they sound great that way...perhaps at 76 I am no longer the audiophile I once was..chuckle...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4544.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	855969  
Old 06-25-2019, 02:26 PM

So you're saying that the standard Z3 Crutchfield adapter that they give with their radios and connected via their instructions stating which wires of the adapter are connected to what wires of the radio harness works correctly "without" the black box or extended wiring harness? And, you've done 5 or more installs that way into Z3s?

If you are positive about just using the simple Chuchfield adapter hookup and it works correctly without any audio distortion or feedback problems I will go ahead with my purchase. I have to state that the adviser checked thoroughly with the advanced technicians for me and was given the info that I stated above.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:34 PM
The Arkleyologist

<<<<<<>>>>>

That is exactly what I am saying.....
1. I use the Crutchfield wiring adaptor that connects to the JVC wiring.
2. Once you have the 11 wires hooked up (8 speaker wires, one constant power, one key controlled power, and one ground wire) you simply plug the Crutchfield adaptor into the bmw connector under the dash..
I will send you my contact info by forum message...please call me and I will explain it to you.
I sent you another private message with my cell # and email address..I have actual pictures of the Cfield instructions and pictures of their harness they put into the kit...call me and we can walk through it...

Last edited by ZEEBOY; 06-25-2019 at 05:28 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search