Comfort Access - battery drain issue? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-15-2012, 10:46 AM
TomF30 TomF30 is offline
Registered User
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 62
Mein Auto: 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe
Question Comfort Access - battery drain issue?

So I picked-up my 335i the day before yesterday. During my orientation my CA told me that if I park my car in my garage and hang the key fob on a hook just inside my house that I should first make certain that I LOCK the car. The reasoning was that locking the car somehow shuts-down the communication between the car and the remote.

She said if I don't lock the car (in the garage) that the on-going communication between the car and the remote will eventually run-down the battery (in the car). WHAT?

So I measured the distance between where I park the car in my garage and the hook on the wall inside my home. It's about 10 1/2 ft. from the front left (driver's side) corner of the car to the spot where I hang the key fob.

Have any of you heard similar warnings from your CA? Anyone experienced a problem like this?
__________________
2013 335i
Sport Line
Glacier Silver Metallic W/Coral Red leather
Anthracite wood trim
Premium pkg
Nav, RV camera w/parking assist
Xenon Adaptive lights
Heated Front seats
ordered 6/25/12
finished production on 7/20
Arrived in Port Hueneme 9/5
Delivered 9/13/2012


Last edited by TomF30; 09-15-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 09-15-2012, 01:24 PM
raleedy's Avatar
raleedy raleedy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Oregon
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,325
Mein Auto: 2016 228i 6-speed
No. The car has to be checking for the key pretty much all the time. Whether it is locked or not. Whether the key is nearby or in the car or not. Whether the ignition is on or not. Whether the engine is running or not. Whether you have comfort access or not.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-15-2012, 01:36 PM
AndDown's Avatar
AndDown AndDown is offline
just copacetic!!!
Location: Redlands CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,509
Mein Auto: '16 428i GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF30 View Post
So I picked-up my 335i the day before yesterday. During my orientation my CA told me that if I park my car in my garage and hang the key fob on a hook just inside my house that I should first make certain that I LOCK the car. The reasoning was that locking the car somehow shuts-down the communication between the car and the remote.

She said if I don't lock the car (in the garage) that the on-going communication between the car and the remote will eventually run-down the battery (in the car). WHAT?

So I measured the distance between where I park the car in my garage and the hook on the wall inside my home. It's about 10 1/2 ft. from the front left (driver's side) corner of the car to the spot where I hang the key fob.

Have any of you heard similar warnings from your CA? Anyone experienced a problem like this?
That's a possibility if the remote is constantly trying to communicate with the car within a certain distance. I tried locking and unlocking with my remote buttons while inside the house (car in the garage) and I was at the other end of my family room at least 60 ft away and the remote still worked. Similar to when the cellphone is not in range of a signal but is constantly searching and causes the battery to run down.
__________________
Dan
'01 X5 3.0 AlpWhite
'16 428i GC AlpWhite
'19 230i MSpt AlpWhite
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 09-15-2012, 04:53 PM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,117
Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
TomF30, try this, lock your car doors in the garage, hang up your keys in the normal place. go out to the car and try to open the door without the keys, if the door opens, your key storage spot is too close, find another place to store the key that is further away.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-15-2012, 05:16 PM
bmwf30 bmwf30 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 122
Mein Auto: 2007 Lexus ES 350
Just wanted to share my experience with a Lexus 350. I had the same issue of battery draining as it also had the comfort access equivalent. On the Lexus fob you would see a small red led blink as it gets within range of the car. If it is left there in that proximity, it sure drains the battery much faster. I can only assume BMW is similar to that in behavior.
__________________
- BMWF30

Delivered!! Order in June 22, 2012. PCD, 2013 335i xDrive Sedan, Mineral Grey Sport Line, Brushed Aluminum with Black Highlight Trim, Black Leatherette w/Red Highlight, Dynamic Handling Package, Tech Package, Sport Transmission w/ Paddle Shifter, Rearview Camera, Park Distance Control, Htd Front Seats & HK Audio.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-15-2012, 07:08 PM
TomF30 TomF30 is offline
Registered User
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 62
Mein Auto: 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
TomF30, try this, lock your car doors in the garage, hang up your keys in the normal place. go out to the car and try to open the door without the keys, if the door opens, your key storage spot is too close, find another place to store the key that is further away.
Great minds think alike. I did that last night. And..... the doors would not open. I agree this would seem to disprove, or at least verify that 10 feet away the key fob is not communicating with the car.
__________________
2013 335i
Sport Line
Glacier Silver Metallic W/Coral Red leather
Anthracite wood trim
Premium pkg
Nav, RV camera w/parking assist
Xenon Adaptive lights
Heated Front seats
ordered 6/25/12
finished production on 7/20
Arrived in Port Hueneme 9/5
Delivered 9/13/2012

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-15-2012, 07:11 PM
TomF30 TomF30 is offline
Registered User
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 62
Mein Auto: 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwf30 View Post
Just wanted to share my experience with a Lexus 350. I had the same issue of battery draining as it also had the comfort access equivalent. On the Lexus fob you would see a small red led blink as it gets within range of the car. If it is left there in that proximity, it sure drains the battery much faster. I can only assume BMW is similar to that in behavior.
Do you know how close you had to get for it to start blinking? I have always assumed you had to be right at the door. However I know that the locking feature will work from maybe 25 or 30 ft away. Different system?
__________________
2013 335i
Sport Line
Glacier Silver Metallic W/Coral Red leather
Anthracite wood trim
Premium pkg
Nav, RV camera w/parking assist
Xenon Adaptive lights
Heated Front seats
ordered 6/25/12
finished production on 7/20
Arrived in Port Hueneme 9/5
Delivered 9/13/2012

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-16-2012, 06:47 AM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,117
Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
The locking range is a difference system, I believe the opening range is much shorter.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-16-2012, 08:14 AM
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Banned
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,410
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF30 View Post
Great minds think alike. I did that last night. And..... the doors would not open. I agree this would seem to disprove, or at least verify that 10 feet away the key fob is not communicating with the car.

If your fob's within 20' of the car, ECU will not fall asleep, causing battery drain.

ECU powers down if fob's out of range for 10+ min. But if the fob moves into range, ECU immediately wakes.

Time sliced low power comm takes next to no power to maintain, but if the ECU's awake much more power is of course consumed.

Name:  Radio Tower 02.gif
Views: 2391
Size:  3.5 KB

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 09-16-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-16-2012, 08:28 AM
beden1's Avatar
beden1 beden1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA & FL
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,347
Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
If your fob's within 20' of the car, ECU will not fall asleep, causing battery drain.

ECU powers down if fob's out of range for 10+ min. But if the fob moves into range, ECU immediately wakes.

Time sliced low power comm takes next to no power to maintain, but if the ECU's awake much more power is of course consumed.

Attachment 342043
Most E60 5 Series owners have had/have this problem with power drain. We have to keep the fob out of distance as described.
__________________

Current Stablemates:
'12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '08 BMW E60 535xi
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-16-2012, 07:29 PM
bmwf30 bmwf30 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 122
Mein Auto: 2007 Lexus ES 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF30 View Post
Do you know how close you had to get for it to start blinking? I have always assumed you had to be right at the door. However I know that the locking feature will work from maybe 25 or 30 ft away. Different system?
It started blinking when I was about 5 feet from any of the doors. Any farther than that, it would loose communication and the light would cease to blink.
__________________
- BMWF30

Delivered!! Order in June 22, 2012. PCD, 2013 335i xDrive Sedan, Mineral Grey Sport Line, Brushed Aluminum with Black Highlight Trim, Black Leatherette w/Red Highlight, Dynamic Handling Package, Tech Package, Sport Transmission w/ Paddle Shifter, Rearview Camera, Park Distance Control, Htd Front Seats & HK Audio.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-16-2012, 09:11 PM
tturedraider's Avatar
tturedraider tturedraider is offline
Freedom isn't free!!
Location: Chicago, Edgewater (via Tennessee & Texas)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 19,683
Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
If your fob's within 20' of the car, ECU will not fall asleep, causing battery drain.

ECU powers down if fob's out of range for 10+ min. But if the fob moves into range, ECU immediately wakes.

Time sliced low power comm takes next to no power to maintain, but if the ECU's awake much more power is of course consumed.

Attachment 342043
CAL, that doesn't make sense. CA range is a matter of inches.
__________________

Present - '06 E90 330i sport; Past - '04 E46 ZHP, '00 E46 328i
www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-18-2012, 05:24 PM
Phillyd2 Phillyd2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SE PA
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 158
Mein Auto: 2020 M340i XDive
While in the garage at home I keep the car unlocked and the fob IN the car. It's my second car that sometimes does not get started but once a week. So far no issues with the battery after a few months of ownership.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-18-2012, 06:51 PM
ybbiz34 ybbiz34 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 376
Mein Auto: '13 C63 AMG Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyd2 View Post
While in the garage at home I keep the car unlocked and the fob IN the car. It's my second car that sometimes does not get started but once a week. So far no issues with the battery after a few months of ownership.
I also leave my fob in the car (in the garage). No problems.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-19-2012, 06:14 AM
The X Men The X Men is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,117
Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyd2 View Post
While in the garage at home I keep the car unlocked and the fob IN the car. It's my second car that sometimes does not get started but once a week. So far no issues with the battery after a few months of ownership.
The key word here is " SO FAR "
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-19-2012, 08:32 AM
Latinnftl Latinnftl is offline
Registered User
Location: Fort Lauderdale
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: 328i
Be careful with leaving the Fob in the car, at least in south Florida. I had a friend who was in an accident after thieves stole a neighbors car because the neighbor left the keys in the car in the garage. They guy is facing lots liability issues related to the fact that the thieves were able to steal the car because the keys were inside.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.