CAs - Harman Kardon Priority 1 on 2017 330i. Does it matter? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > Ask-A-BMW-Dealer

Ask-A-BMW-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors from supporting BMW dealerships. Get all of your BMW pricing, ordering, buying, financing, and leasing questions answered here!

Old 07-06-2016, 09:46 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Arrow CAs - Harman Kardon Priority 1 on 2017 330i. Does it matter?

The new ordering guide indicates HK is now a Priority 1 option on the 2017 330i, so it won't be available for in stock inventory orders. Does it matter? Are there enough 330i buyers who care enough about having HK over the base stereo to make it harder to sell 330i's? It strikes me as a very dumb move for BMWNA. They could end up pushing audiophile buyers to the A4 or the C Class.

Present - '06 E90 330i sport; Past - '04 E46 ZHP, '00 E46 328i
www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Last edited by tturedraider; 07-06-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2016, 12:58 PM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: M3
CAs - Harman Kardon Priority 1 on 2017 330i. Does it matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
The new ordering guide indicates HK is now a Priority 1 option on the 2017 330i, so it won't be available for in stock inventory orders. Does it matter? Are there enough 330i buyers who care enough about having HK over the base stereo to make it harder to sell 330i's? It strikes me as a very dumb move for BMWNA. They could end up pushing audiophile buyers to the A4 or the C Class.

I am guessing that BMWNA did this because of the low take rate for HK audio on the 328 (now 330). I do agree that it makes no sense, but my casual observation is that few dealers bothered to order HK for stock inventory of 328's because few people want to pay for it. That money is better put toward the cost of navigation or premium pack which many people want. What BMWNA really needs to do is make the HK audio standard (because it is a joke of an option) and come out with a lower tier B+O for the 3, 4, x3 and price that at 1500 or so dollars. Mercedes and Audi offer a decent upgraded stereo and BMW's HK pales in comparison. The old HK from the E90 (which I had in my 08 335) was much better than the current iteration.

Last edited by Alpine300ZHP; 07-06-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:58 PM
OEM Audio PnP Integration

Mein Auto: 2017 M3
I bet that it cost money to BMWNA to allow dealers to stack options that they compromise in advance with the factory that they need at least X-amount in a year and then see that they actually don't sell that many. Or worse, options that dealers end up discounting any ways to move the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2016, 01:03 PM
East Coast Commuter

CAs - Harman Kardon Priority 1 on 2017 330i. Does it matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I bet that it cost money to BMWNA to allow dealers to stack options that they compromise in advance with the factory that they need at least X-amount in a year and then see that they actually don't sell that many. Or worse, options that dealers end up discounting any ways to move the car.

Maybe. I can see your logic in light of BMWNA's new move to tie the back end 5% CSI money to total MSRP rather than base price MSRP.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:32 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
I am guessing that BMWNA did this because of the low take rate for HK audio on the 328 (now 330). I do agree that it makes no sense, but my casual observation is that few dealers bothered to order HK for stock inventory of 328's because few people want to pay for it.
This is probably the reason. Most dealers are price-conscious when they order the entry-level version of a model (330 vs 340, 430 vs 440, 530 vs 540 or even 740 vs 750). They have found that the majority of buyers looking at the lower-priced version are lured in by price ads (low-price ads). If they're interested in loading the car up with a bunch of options they would probably be looking for a 340 and not a 330.

Even when you talk about the 340, 440, 540 or 550, most dealers are not willing to go all out and put everything in the book on them. Some dealers will do that on a few cars but most dealers won't. They won't because experience tells them that car may sit around for months and they have to dump it for practically nothing just to get it off their floor since it has been eating up flooring (or whatever it's called now) all that time. They all want cars that move quickly. Like in less than a month after they arrive. They don't want cars that are still in stock six months later or even nine months later. Even when they do order something fully loaded, chances are that type of buyer will come in, take one look at it and say, "That's nice, that's exactly what I want but I want it in another color."
Old 07-06-2016, 02:39 PM
OEM Audio PnP Integration

Mein Auto: 2017 M3
One thing that it seems to be missed in these forums is that BMWNA is a customer of BMWAG. Priority 1 cars are already funded by customers, no need to commit 300,000 cars a year with options that do not sell enough to justify BMWNA cost of the commitment to BMWAG.

Last edited by Technic; 07-07-2016 at 06:09 AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 428i XDrive M-Sport
I'm no audiophile but the base stereo would either push me into Bavsound (seems like a lot of work for a lease), an upper model (tough sell for stereo alone) or another brand. Luckily my next car will be a higher model than my current 428!
Old 07-07-2016, 09:53 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2020 M340i xDrive
I don't see it being a big deal. Very few people want the HK stereo when getting a 328. We only carry a handful with the HK stereo between my 3 stores.

Jason Ruzek
BMW of Bel Air
716 Bel Air Rd Bel Air, MD 21014
443-632-1396
www.bmwbelair.com
[email protected]
European Delivery, PCD, New and used sales out of state

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > Ask-A-BMW-Dealer
Today's Posts Search