Engine Flush or not? - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-22-2019, 06:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi
Yes, someone made that point. I'm not flushing!!
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2019, 10:17 PM

Mein Auto:
This flushing argument is unbelievable. Chances that your engine is so coked with sludge that a flush would be detrimental (if that is in fact true) is minimal and speculative. There is nothing wrong with flushing an engine that you are unfamiliar with that hasn't been totally neglected. Every car that I've owned I've flushed and haven't had a single issue and have never heard of anyone that has (trans flush.. I have heard). I haven't bought any grossly neglected cars and I expect any neglected BMW's would be obvious. This is all anecdotal, but I wonder how many actually have had a bad experience flushing. Not one comment was personal experience. Sometimes threads like this take a one-way tact until someone else chimes in. Don't be so quick to take advice from strangers.

Last edited by RED-d; 06-25-2019 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:15 AM

Thanks, but the info here is from strangers. Though I've conversed with a few people many times and value their opinion. Your right about the lack of comments from people who have used flush. However I did get a private message from someone who used flush and developed leaks due to corroded seals right after flushing. Said person messages me privately as they were embarrassed to share their experience publicly. I'd rather play it safe and trust the good oil to do its job of cleansing as well as lubricating. I have no reason to suspect much buildup of junk. The oil seems clean. I will asses after I do my first change. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2019, 07:28 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
I've got no problem speaking publicly from my own experience.

I once owned an Isuzu. At the time, it was ~10 years old, had ~75K miles on it. Was in great shape, didn't appear to have been neglected in its lifetime or anything like that. I did an engine flush followed by two oil changes, ~2K miles apart. Car started burning oil shortly after (it did NOT do so beforehand). Dealer diagnosed piston rings were allowing oil to pass into the combustion chambers. Replaced the rings. They were degraded, and had a significant amount of "goop" build-up (this is the term the Service Adviser actually used). In addition, one of the hydraulic lifters was gummed up and not operating properly (I used to physically have this lifter as they gave it to me as a souvenir, I wish I could remember where I put it so I could post a picture). Finally, the underside of the valve cover had all kinds of gooey deposits. I got to see this myself (again, I wish I had a picture), and all I can describe it as was a combination of charcoal crumbs and coagulated, stringy blood. No one could tell me 100% that it was the engine flush that caused the issue, but everyone (SA, mechanic, Service Manager) all agreed that it was the most likely cause because this all happened so quickly, and everything was fine before I did it.

I personally had a friend, years ago, who had a used Honda. Did an engine flush. A few hundred miles later the engine just seized. Turns out sludge had clogged the oil pickup tube. Also could not PROVE it was the engine flush, but highly coincidental.

I'll never do one again. I've got enough personal negative experience that I attribute to engine flushes. And, TBH, I don't have a SINGLE example of where someone can definitively tell me that it was beneficial. FWIW, the dealer also does not recommend doing it. I asked my BMW dealer, out of curiosity, and they said they don't do them even when customers request it, because BMW discourages their use.

Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?
Old 06-26-2019, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
The melted Permatex gasket material was with a friend's truck he'd sold to a co-worker.

A friend of mine had a sticky lifter freed up with a flush.

There was somebody with a oil-guzzling BMW V8 here on BF that had it fixed with a flush. Varnish can stick piston rings in the closed position (pushing against the piston instead of against the cylinder wall.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:51 AM

I'm airing on the side of caution. NO FLUSHES! LOL
Old 06-26-2019, 11:11 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 328i x-drive
I think the take-away is that if you aren't having any problems and trying to be proactive in maintenance, then don't flush.

If you already have a problem (sticky lifter, massive oil consumption), then it can't really hurt to try it.

Not even sure if -40 degrees is cold anymore ?
Old 06-26-2019, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: 128i Cabriolet '12
I've done engine flushes twice, once in the 80's on 1 2.0 pinto engine, NO problems
once on my 944, other than noisy tappets for a few hundred miles no issues

I asked both a dealer and trusted mechanic for my 2 cars

Dodge GC SXT 3lt V6 / Official dodge manual says not recommend / SA who is my mate said, its ok to do, but they have a special fluid and flushing equipment and it's safe
128 / BMW parts counter said, as long as you keep to the oil changes it's not necessary and it wont harm anything if you do

My trusted mechanic basically said UNLESS the car is old, not looked after and you don't do oil changes, no need to, but he HAD heard of stories of oil leaks

I decided against doing any engine flush...

BUT, I have a flushing procedure which basically means changing draining oil, filter a couple of times, using a differnt weight of oil, running it in finally, filling up with good stuff,
process uses 3 lots of engine oil , 3 oil filters, I call it my overkill routine, don't do it too often, in fact never on the BMW or Dodge, did it once on the Porsche
If your rude you'll get "IGNORED"
Old 06-27-2019, 09:02 AM

i was acquainted with some people who would dump a quart of transmission fluid into the oil a couple hundred miles before they changed the oil.
They alleged the transmission fluid had more detergents in it, and would "clean things up".
I don't know if they died in their sleep as a result of that action.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:02 AM

Last edited by Jim328; 06-27-2019 at 09:16 AM. Reason: duplicate post
Old 06-27-2019, 10:31 AM

That's Funny!
Old 06-28-2019, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: 19 540i Xdr, 09 X5 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmis View Post
Hey friends.Im thinking about doing NY first oil change on my recently purchased 08 328xi.
That's not the question I wanted to ask.ive been told by some here to stay away from snake oils,but people swear by. These engine flushes. Just sounds like a good opportunity to clean out any sludge in the engine. I only drive 5000k tops a year. Could it hurt to use that stuff? Just sounds like it's a good idea to clean out deposits . If someone tells me its harmful, well,I'll refrain.but for $8 how bad could it be?
You don't NEED to use a flush.
But if you WANT to use one, it won't hurt anything if you use the right stuff and follow directions. You don't want the solvent-type flushes.
Get one that is only detergent, such as LiquiMoly or Amsoil. I have used both, and no engine explosions. I usually use it right after getting a used car, since I don't know the maintenance history. Then maybe every 4 OCI. Or not....
Old 06-28-2019, 01:07 PM

Thanks, but I'm just going to trust the cleansing qualities of Good oil. Play it safe.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:12 PM

Mein Auto: 1985 535i
I don't know about your car and model year but I did an engine flush on my 1985 BMW 535i 5 speed. I used the German Made brand....Molly I think it is called. I think it was something like $12 for 1 can.

I never had any issues or problems with the engine or anything else.

But yours is a newer car so it might be different.

I would be interested to hear opinions on this and why.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search