Do you HAVE to use Premium Gas? BMW Z4 2006 - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW Z4
Thats some good info Z...... Just put in a tank of Chevron and can already tell a diff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2011, 03:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4,Vehicross,VR4
I always run premium gas in my Z4 - almost sure it states Premium only on the fuel door?
As for the TopTier - I'm wondering on that without testing the gas how would you know? I've seen all different tankers at the gas stations filling up the pumps. I'm not near the wholesale gas stations but when I get near I always fill up. I find it hard to believe that they are selling inferior gas.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:54 AM

Thanks Acz4...your comments were helpful. Think I will take your advice on the premium. Just filled up on a tank of it. Think that dealer or someone must have put some regular in the tank cause when I put in the Chevron Premium I could tell a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2011, 07:06 AM

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acz4 View Post
I always run premium gas in my Z4 - almost sure it states Premium only on the fuel door?
As for the TopTier - I'm wondering on that without testing the gas how would you know? I've seen all different tankers at the gas stations filling up the pumps. I'm not near the wholesale gas stations but when I get near I always fill up. I find it hard to believe that they are selling inferior gas.
I don't personally worry about TT or not but if you are curious as to who has the rating:

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
Old 04-16-2011, 09:21 AM
The Arkleyologist

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3 Roadster 2.8
The prior owner of my car said he typically, like many drivers, used lower cost fuel, usually from Kroger or Meijer. As I mentioned, when I acquired the car,the gas gage was only registering 3/4 on the gage after fill up. After checking the archives, many recommened that a Techron treatment and a good quality gasoline would cure the deposits on the sending unit. That was good advice. Over an 8 month period, the consistent use of Shell premium has incrementally increased the level that the gage registers after every fillup. It now is within a hair of the full mark and the gage functions normally. No agenda, just conveying what worked for me. Here is an excerp from a prior posting.

RECOMMENDATION
BMW recommends using TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline of minimum octane rating of AKI 91 and with alcohol content of less then 10% by volume (or any other oxygenates with up to 2.8% of oxygen by weight). Only the exclusive usage of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline provides the full benefit of reducing deposits formation. For more information related to TOP TIER Gasoline refer to SI B13 02 06.
If the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is unavailable, we recommend BMW Group Fuel System Cleaner Plus (PN 82 14 0 413 341) be added to the gas tank. For optimum cleaning and deposits control, add a 20 fl. oz. bottle every 3,000 miles when refueling.
Regular use of BMW Group Fuel System Cleaner Plus can help address carbon deposits related symptoms listed above. By removing these deposits, an engine may experience restored power, performance and fuel efficiency, a smoother idle running, lower emissions, and reduced octane requirement.
BMW Group Fuel System Cleaner Plus uses polyether amine TECHRONŽ based technology developed and patented by Chevron. BMW Group Fuel System Cleaner Plus has proven to clean up deposits in fuel injectors, ports & intake valves and reduces the harmful effects of combustion chamber deposits. It helps restore performance lost due to deposit build-up.
Chevron and BMW have run an extensive "no harm" tests with polyether amine technology. When used as directed, it will not harm catalytic converters, oxygen sensors, or any other mechanical components of the engine, or fuel delivery system.
The effectiveness of the additive depends on its presence in the gasoline in large concentrations for short periods of time. One treatment is usually sufficient, but a second treatment (one 20 oz bottle per each, consecutive full tank of gas) may give additional benefits. To keep your fuel intake system clean, we recommend usage at every 3000 miles.
Additionally, vehicle's fuel sending units equipped with silver plated resistor card/contacts are especially vulnerable to attacks by elemental sulfur and/or hydrogen sulfide found in fuels. Adding BMW Group Fuel System Cleaner Plus immediately upon noticing erratic fuel gauge behavior may, in many cases, restore proper performance due to the additive's ability to remove the harmful sulfur compounds from the sending unit's contact surface. Additionally, BMW Group Fuel System Cleaner Plus can help protect the fuel gauge from future malfunctioning by coating all metal surfaces of the fuel system.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:22 AM
Addicted

Send a message via AIM to ///McQ Send a message via Yahoo to ///McQ
Mein Auto: 2000 M Roadster
What's the compression ratio in a Z4? On my Z3M, with the S52, the compression ratio is 10.5:1. Higher octane fuel is recommended to prevent knocking or detonation (sometimes confused with pre-ignition) and potential damage to the heads. If your compression ratio is higher than 9:1 (I bet it is) you should consider using premium ALL of the time the same way you use high-quality oil--because it's better for your engine.

2000 M Roadster
1993 Miata
1999 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Old 04-16-2011, 11:58 AM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///McQ View Post
What's the compression ratio in a Z4? On my Z3M, with the S52, the compression ratio is 10.5:1. Higher octane fuel is recommended to prevent knocking or detonation (sometimes confused with pre-ignition) and potential damage to the heads. If your compression ratio is higher than 9:1 (I bet it is) you should consider using premium ALL of the time the same way you use high-quality oil--because it's better for your engine.
S54 is 11.5

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s54engineingeneral.jpg
Views:	1225
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	274941  
Old 04-16-2011, 12:25 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEEBOY View Post
The prior owner of my car said he typically, like many drivers, used lower cost fuel, usually from Kroger or Meijer. As I mentioned, when I acquired the car,the gas gage was only registering 3/4 on the gage after fill up. After checking the archives, many recommened that a Techron treatment and a good quality gasoline would cure the deposits on the sending unit. That was good advice. Over an 8 month period, the consistent use of Shell premium has incrementally increased the level that the gage registers after every fillup. It now is within a hair of the full mark and the gage functions normally. No agenda, just conveying what worked for me. Here is an excerp from a prior posting.

RECOMMENDATION
BMW recommends using TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline of minimum octane rating of AKI 91 and with alcohol content of less then 10% by volume (or any other oxygenates with up to 2.8% of oxygen by weight). Only the exclusive usage of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline provides the full benefit of reducing deposits formation. For more information related to TOP TIER Gasoline refer to SI B13 02 06.
If the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is unavailable, we recommend BMW Group Fuel System Cleaner Plus (PN 82 14 0 413 341) be added to the gas tank. For optimum cleaning and deposits control, add a 20 fl. oz. bottle every 3,000 miles when refueling.
Regular use of BMW Group Fuel System Cleaner Plus can help address carbon deposits related symptoms listed above. By removing these deposits, an engine may experience restored power, performance and fuel efficiency, a smoother idle running, lower emissions, and reduced octane requirement.
BMW Group Fuel System Cleaner Plus uses polyether amine TECHRONŽ based technology developed and patented by Chevron. BMW Group Fuel System Cleaner Plus has proven to clean up deposits in fuel injectors, ports & intake valves and reduces the harmful effects of combustion chamber deposits. It helps restore performance lost due to deposit build-up.
Chevron and BMW have run an extensive "no harm" tests with polyether amine technology. When used as directed, it will not harm catalytic converters, oxygen sensors, or any other mechanical components of the engine, or fuel delivery system.
The effectiveness of the additive depends on its presence in the gasoline in large concentrations for short periods of time. One treatment is usually sufficient, but a second treatment (one 20 oz bottle per each, consecutive full tank of gas) may give additional benefits. To keep your fuel intake system clean, we recommend usage at every 3000 miles.
Additionally, vehicle's fuel sending units equipped with silver plated resistor card/contacts are especially vulnerable to attacks by elemental sulfur and/or hydrogen sulfide found in fuels. Adding BMW Group Fuel System Cleaner Plus immediately upon noticing erratic fuel gauge behavior may, in many cases, restore proper performance due to the additive's ability to remove the harmful sulfur compounds from the sending unit's contact surface. Additionally, BMW Group Fuel System Cleaner Plus can help protect the fuel gauge from future malfunctioning by coating all metal surfaces of the fuel system.
When it gets bad BMW has a cleaner system showed in SIB 13 01 07 April 2007.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Addicted

Send a message via AIM to ///McQ Send a message via Yahoo to ///McQ
Mein Auto: 2000 M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar View Post
S54 is 11.5

Thanks, Ron. I forgot the Z4 was S54.

At 11.5:1 for the Z4, I would consider high-quality premium gasoline part of the cost of ownership. But that begs the question, how much damage can it do to cheat once in a while?

2000 M Roadster
1993 Miata
1999 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Old 04-16-2011, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 Roadster
I, too, have a 2006 Z4 and I was told by the dealership's service manager to only use premium, and if possible, only use Shell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	274953  
Old 04-18-2011, 08:03 AM

Cool, thanks for the info
Old 04-18-2011, 08:14 AM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///McQ View Post
Thanks, Ron. I forgot the Z4 was S54.

At 11.5:1 for the Z4, I would consider high-quality premium gasoline part of the cost of ownership. But that begs the question, how much damage can it do to cheat once in a while?

Just to make sure someone does not get confused. Only the Z4M had a S54 engine.
Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 04-18-2011, 10:42 AM

Good point!
Old 04-18-2011, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROX 06 View Post
I just bought my first BMW Z4 and was told that you HAVE to use Premium gas in it and cannot use Regular. Is this true?
My 2003 Z4 3 litre runs fine on 87 but better on 89 and 91 octane. Seems to have more power. I don't know if the gas mileage is better but I don't care after driving a Sante Fe all winter.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: Z4,Vehicross,VR4
Found this discussion - interesting -- http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...line-good.html
Old 04-19-2011, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0Si
FWIW all modern cars are capable of running regular gas, the computer will just retard ignition timing to avoid pre-ignition (knock). The biggest pitfalls are lower power output and potentially lower gas mileage (albeit depends on how you drive the car). I typically try to run 93 (premium) if possible in my '06 3.0Si but have done some tanks of regular (87) and mid-grade (89) depending on what the prices are. I've definitely noticed less punch at WOT with 87 & 89 fuels but 90%+ of the time I'm on the highway where you're using a fraction of the power available. On long highway trips I average approx. 33.5mpg using premium (93) gas and about 1mpg less using regular/mid-grade gas. Average mixed driving yields around 27.5 with premium and 27 with regular/plus...economics of it says I should use regular based on mpg/price but I do like having that little bit of extra power on tap when I need it so I typically try to run premium when possible.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:08 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acz4 View Post
Found this discussion - interesting -- http://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...line-good.html
Sounds like what I said!

I would use Costco if the Nashua store had a gas station, but they do not yet. Danvers Costco is putting one in, but too far away.

Sams in Hudson is my best bet for now. Usually 10 cents cheaper.

My garage: 2013 BMW 550xi GT, 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 2007 BMW X3, 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 04-19-2011, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: 00Z3MC,10e91-ZMP,14e8928i
Kick up a notch and put in NO ETHANOL Premium....if you're lucky enough to have a station nearby >>>

http://www.pure-gas.org/

Last edited by elfhearse; 04-19-2011 at 03:47 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
Today's Posts Search