Will the new x3 beat 3/4 series in sales - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 19 330i
An Cadillac Escalade has a msrp in the 90’s I always think it funny that the Mercedes GLS is the cheaper option.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2018, 08:05 PM

Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
Those folks (most of my neighbors, family members, and friends fall into that category) are not only ambivalent about "variants of the various brand offerings", they don't care much about "the badge" or nameplate for a car/light truck either. To them, the typical description of a motor vehicle is something like "white compact sedan with dark tinted windows" or "two tone crew cab pickup with chrome wheels".

These days, for a recent vintage passenger car to really stand out, it must be one or more of the following:
  • ultra high performance variant (e.g., BMW M, Cadillac V, Corvette, Mustang Shelby, etc.)
  • ultra luxurious
  • bespoke or limited edition model
  • heavily modified/customized
A stock, unmodified F30 possesses none of these attributes. It's no wonder my F30 320i - like any other stock F30 - blends into the crowd. No one other than Bimmerfest members and BMW CCA members commented directly to me about the car, good or bad. That's fine, and completely expected.

By contrast, SUVs and pickup trucks in stock form stand out more than passenger cars because the former is what consumers desire these days.

As for my other car, a '72 Chevy Nova that I'm very slowly restoring, I do get comments from friends, family, and neighbors all the time on it. Usually the comment is that I'm not making much progress with the restoration. Which is true.
So, try this with your friends / co workers etc. Dont ask "is my bmw a luxury car?" Ask them (without leading them on), "so hey, name off every brand of luxury car you can think of right now...

You think "chevy" is going to come out of their mouth? What about "hyundai"? You can get a hyundai and a kia over 50k... so that would make them luxury cars too based on the "chevy tahoe is XX,XXX argument.

Hyundai and Kia would like to be a luxury brand and they are trying like heck to be, but for "most" non car people they would not consider them luxury brands and would be amazed one of them had a MSRP above 50k.

People DO see an Escalade as a luxury brand (and most caddys actually, even if they dont want to buy them). On that question of "hey name off every luxury car brand you can think of", its likely that "cadillac" would be mentioned, as well as lexus,acura bmw, audi, mercedes, porsche, jaguar, masarati and some others I am not thinking of right now.

What WONT be on that list from almost anyone is "ford, chevy, toyota, honda, hyundai, kia"... regardless of the fact that its entirely possible to buy each one of those brands for more money than a BMW or a Mercedes or an Audi... new.

Try it.. see what they say.

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance

BMW CCA #477341

Last edited by jjrandorin; 09-06-2018 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
So, try this with your friends / co workers etc. Dont ask "is my bmw a luxury car?" Ask them (without leading them on), "so hey, name off every brand of luxury car you can think of right now...

You think "chevy" is going to come out of their mouth? What about "hyundai"? You can get a hyundai and a kia over 50k... so that would make them luxury cars too based on the "chevy tahoe is XX,XXX argument.

Hyundai and Kia would like to a luxury brand and they are trying like heck to be, but for "most" non car people they would not consider them luxury brands and would be amazed one of them had a MSRP above 50k.

People DO see an Escalade as a luxury brand (and most caddys actually, even if they dont want to buy them). On that question of "hey name off every luxury car brand you can think of", its likely that "cadillac" would be mentioned, as well as lexus,acura bmw, audi, mercedes, porsche, jaguar, masarati and some others I am not thinking of right now.

What WONT be on that list from almost anyone is "ford, chevy, toyota, honda, hyundai, kia"... regardless of the fact that its entirely possible to buy each one of those brands for more money than a BMW or a Mercedes or an Audi... new.

Try it.. see what they say.

Hyundai now has the genesis brand. Unfortunately their marketing plan for genesis is messed up. At this time They were suppose to have separate dealerships but not one exclusive genesis dealership opened up.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazy View Post
Hyundai now has the genesis brand. Unfortunately their marketing plan for genesis is messed up. At this time They were suppose to have separate dealerships but not one exclusive genesis dealership opened up.

Hyundai's are nice cars. good value for what you get. I bought my son a new one a couple of years ago (an elantra). I like them. I am even considering getting a Kia Stinger when I turn in my lease in 3-4 months. With that being said, I dont consider a Kia to be a luxury brand, and dont know anyone who would. Even people who would spend 50k on one (I am considering the stinger gt2 top trim... a long shot but considering it).

It may sound like I am poo pooing some brands and I am not.. I just dont agree with gk's position on this, and litterly know NO ONE would would utter "chevy" if asked "name off every luxury car brand you know".

I also agree those chevy's are great looking cars, if that matters.

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

BMW CCA #477341

Last edited by jjrandorin; 09-06-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:27 PM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
I presented this to my wife, using several variations on your first suggested question. Here's what she said
  • Q: Is my BMW a luxury car? Wife's answer: No
  • Q: Is BMW a luxury brand? Wife's answer: Yes
  • Q: Is Sheldon's [one of our neighbors] Nissan Armada a luxury vehicle? Wife's answer: Yes
  • Q: Is Nissan a luxury brand? Wife's answer: No

I'll do this questioning with my journeyman instructor during break when I'm back on the job next week.

Last edited by gkr778; 09-06-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
I presented this to my wife, using several variations on your first suggested question. Here's what she said
  • Q: Is Sheldon's [one of our neighbors] Nissan Armada a luxury vehicle? Wife's answer: Yes

I'll do this questioning with my journeyman instructor during break when I'm back on the job next week.
Would be a much better test if you dont "lead" the person you are asking the question with, and ask it the way I mentioned "name all the luxury car brands you can think of".

"nissan" wont come out of anyones mouth. Now, If you ask "is the Blank car a luxury car" you might get a different response, as you mentioned. Finally, remember, at least from my point of view, we are discussing "non car people", or "average car people". NOT car people. "average joe " is going to think "BMW" is a luxury brand... where as a car person is going to think like you think (down to the specific cars.. such that "XXX BMW is a luxury car, but YYY BMW is not).

Im rambling now, but would be interesting to see what you get if you dont ask "Is a nissan armada a luxury brand" or even "is nissan a luxury brand" because thats leading the person along. If you just ask them to name off luxury car brands, all that they can think of, I believe you will see what I mean.

Still rambling, but "Ford" is not coming out of anyones mouth as a luxury car, but if you show someone ford raptor truck and ask "would you call this a luxury type car" many would say "yes".

BMW CCA #477341
Old 09-07-2018, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Quote:

We are talking about brand recognition not luxury cars. The BMW name is undoubtedly on of the top automotive brands. It's prestigious to own a BMW.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Hyundai's are nice cars. good value for what you get. I bought my son a new one a couple of years ago (an elantra). I like them. I am even considering getting a Kia Stinger when I turn in my lease in 3-4 months. With that being said, I dont consider a Kia to be a luxury brand, and dont know anyone who would. Even people who would spend 50k on one (I am considering the stinger gt2 top trim... a long shot but considering it).

It may sound like I am poo pooing some brands and I am not.. I just dont agree with gk's position on this, and litterly know NO ONE would would utter "chevy" if asked "name off every luxury car brand you know".

I also agree those chevy's are great looking cars, if that matters.

I know you are not making fun of Hyundai I was just pointing out that they are launching a separate luxury brand where they are screwing up the launch.

The thing I hate about Hyundai/Kia are their dealers. They are notorious for putting add ons. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0692.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	817063

Old 09-07-2018, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I know you are not making fun of Hyundai I was just pointing out that they are launching a separate luxury brand where they are screwing up the launch.

The thing I hate about Hyundai/Kia are their dealers. They are notorious for putting add ons. Attachment 817063

I can't say if that's common or not but I've seen that at many other dealerships for a lot of brands. The thing I don't like about Hyundai is that there cars are generally boring to drive. The new G70. But they do give great warranties and lots of content.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
I can't say if that's common or not but I've seen that at many other dealerships for a lot of brands. The thing I don't like about Hyundai is that there cars are generally boring to drive. The new G70. But they do give great warranties and lots of content.

Some dealers from other brands have it but it not common as Hyundai/Kia dealers. One Hyundai dealer near me use to advertise 30% off sticker but before the take off 30% they mark the car up 25%. This is mark up from an Audi dealer that close to me. Not the closest one. I just like what they call the add on
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0537.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	817077

Old 09-07-2018, 09:19 AM
Novice driver

Quote:
Would be a much better test if you dont "lead" the person you are asking the question with, and ask it the way I mentioned "name all the luxury car brands you can think of".
I asked my wife the question "What are all the luxury car brands you can name?". Her response was: "Rolls Royce, Bentley, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac, Jaguar, Range Rover, Lexus, Audi, Lincoln, Volvo"

Obviously, she missed a few, but I think my wife's answer was pretty good for someone who doesn't pay much attention to the automotive industry or anything automobile related really.

Quote:
We are talking about brand recognition not luxury cars. The BMW name is undoubtedly on of the top automotive brands. It's prestigious to own a BMW.
In the automotive world, brand value and recognition may represent something of importance to investors and marketers, but not to retail customers. End customers buy (or lease) a specific product, not a brand.

Certain BMW brand products, e.g., F90, G11/G12 Alpina B7, BMW Individual automobiles, S 1000 RR, HP4 RACE etc., are prestigious to own. Other BMW brand products especially at the low end may be competent and satisfying, but are not prestigious e.g., F2x, F3x, F48, G 310 R, etc.

Last edited by gkr778; 09-07-2018 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
I asked my wife the question "What are all the luxury car brands you can name?". Her response was: "Rolls Royce, Bentley, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac, Jaguar, Range Rover, Lexus, Audi, Lincoln, Volvo"

Obviously, she missed a few, but I think my wife's answer was pretty good for someone who doesn't pay much attention to the automotive industry or anything automobile related really.

In the automotive world, brand value and recognition may represent something of importance to investors and marketers, but not to retail customers. End customers buy (or lease) a specific product, not a brand.

Certain BMW brand products, e.g., F90, G11/G12 Alpina B7, BMW Individual automobiles, S 1000 RR, HP4 RACE etc., are prestigious to own. Other BMW brand products especially at the low end may be competent and satisfying, but are not prestigious e.g., F2x, F3x, F48, G 310 R, etc.

This is where we disagree, and I believe this is because you are too close to the subject matter. Of course, we are both just stating opinions, so no one can be "wrong" because its just opinion.

Let me give you a example that talks about what I am talking about.

I am not into watches at all. Even though I am not into watches I have heard of the watch brand "Rolex". Of course, I have heard of other brands, but the "Rolex" brand is a luxury brand watch to me. If I see someone wearing a Rolex watch, I think "wow a rolex!".

For watch people, they might know which rolex it was, and they might know the difference between a rolex that cost 2k and one that cost 20k. For THEM the 2k rolex would be "meh". They also might know that the 2k rolex can be had on the 2nd hand watch market for a few hundred dollars.

(NOTE : Making all this up for explanation... because as I said, "I" am not a watch person and I dont know).

So, for a watch person, only certain models of rolex might be prestigious. They might think "only XXX model is worth anyones attention". But for "MOST" who are not watch people, its "Rolex".

So, what we are disagreeing on, is I feel that for "most people" BMW is a luxury car brand, and it doesnt matter which BMW. They can tell the difference in a SUV or sedan, 2 door and 4 door, but most non car people are not going to make ANY distinction in a 320 vs a 328 vs a 335/340 or even an M3... except that the M3 will look "fancier". They are ALL BMWs to "regular people" and BMW is a luxury brand.... thus some are more luxury than others, but all are luxury brand products.

Contrast that with the Chevy tahoe you are talking about. No one considers "Chevy" a luxury car brand (truck might be another story though), so if you point to a 60k chevy truck and say "do you consider that a luxury car" you are likely to get "sure!" but they still wont consider the BRAND "chevy" a luxury BRAND.

So, BMW is a luxury brand with items up and down its range. Nissan is not a luxury brand, even though they have several products that are more expensive than BMWs.

Car makers know this themselves... Its why Nissan created Infinity for the US. Its why "Lexus" brand has an urban myth that the word "Lexus" actually stands for "L"uxury EXport to the US".

Its why Acura exists, its why Hyundai is trying to spin off genesis here in the US. THEY know they are not luxury brands, even though they want to be. BMW already IS perceived that way, and perception is 9/10ths reality... even if its NOT reality.

BMW CCA #477341
Old 09-07-2018, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I'm sorry but you could not be more wrong. 90% of BMW owners buy the badge. Same for MB, Audi, Lexus, Land Rover, etc.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
When Toyota launched the Lexus brand they expected they'd be capturing sales from mostly Lincoln and Cadillac. To their surprise, their dealers' used car lots started filling up with BMW's, M-B's, Audi's, and Jaguar's. There were two phenomena likely at work there: domestic car buyers less willing to buy a foreign car, and European luxury car owners being fed up with the maintenance cost and aggravations.

The two wealthiest people I know (one a friend, one a distant relative) have nothing but Asian cars in their garages (Hyundai Genesis, Lexus RX-whatever, unknown Lexus, and unknown Acura). The Genesis and RX owner isn't a car person. The unknown Lexus and Acura owner has historically been a M-B owner, but in his mid-80's he no longer wants to bother with the maintenance hassles. Also, both of these households keep there cars somewhere north of ten years. New cars, and prestigious brands aren't important to them. They bought the luxury brands instead of the peasant brands from the same manufacturers because of features exclusive to the luxury brands, and possibly because of the dealership experiences with the luxury brands (more polite salesmen, longer warranties, free maintenance, loaner cars, cleaner bathrooms, etc.)

Last edited by Autoputzer; 09-07-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:36 AM
Novice driver

Quote:
I'm sorry but you could not be more wrong. 90% of BMW owners buy the badge. Same for MB, Audi, Lexus, Land Rover, etc.
Have you done a survey with sufficient sample size to arrive at that conclusion?

Old 09-07-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
When Toyota launched the Lexus brand they expected they'd be capturing sales from mostly Lincoln and Cadillac. To their surprise, their dealers' used car lots started filling up with BMW's, M-B's, Audi's, and Jaguar's. There were two phenomena likely at work there: domestic car buyers less willing to buy a foreign car, and European luxury car owners being fed up with the maintenance cost and aggravations.

The two wealthiest people I know (one a friend, one a distant relative) have nothing but Asian cars in their garages (Hyundai Genesis, Lexus RX-whatever, unknown Lexus, and unknown Acura). The Genesis and RX owner isn't a car person. The unknown Lexus and Acura owner has historically been a M-B owner, but in his mid-80's he no longer wants to bother with the maintenance hassles. Also, both of these households keep there cars somewhere north of ten years. New cars, and prestigious brands aren't important to them. They bought the luxury brands instead of the peasant brands from the same manufacturers because of features exclusive to the luxury brands, and possibly because of the dealership experiences with the luxury brands (more polite salesmen, longer warranties, free maintenance, loaner cars, cleaner bathrooms, etc.)

I always say Lexus IS the Nordstrom of the auto industry where they focus a lot on customer service. Lexus dealers tend to have nicer facilities than their bmw or Mercedes counterparts. Some Lexus dealers have unusual amenities like a hair salon, full service restaurant, putting green, and a tommy Bahama store.
My mom who is not a car person will always get an es350. Plus she like her Lexus dealer in south Florida. Her dealer sells around 10000 new Lexus a year. https://www.google.com/amp/www.sun-s...story,amp.html
south Florida bmw dealers do not have a good reputation on this board many people use to take a trip to Atlanta to pick up their car. South Florida audi dealers is even worse

Old 09-07-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I always say Lexus IS the Nordstrom of the auto industry where they focus a lot on customer service. Lexus dealers tend to have nicer facilities than their bmw or Mercedes counterparts. Some Lexus dealers have unusual amenities like a hair salon, full service restaurant, putting green, and a tommy Bahama store.
My mom who is not a car person will always get an es350. Plus she like her Lexus dealer in south Florida. Her dealer sells around 10000 new Lexus a year. https://www.google.com/amp/www.sun-s...story,amp.html
south Florida bmw dealers do not have a good reputation on this board many people use to take a trip to Atlanta to pick up their car. South Florida audi dealers is even worse

People can actually get married at Lexus of Escondido....

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...retail-wedding

BMW CCA #477341
Old 09-07-2018, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Have you done a survey with sufficient sample size to arrive at that conclusion?
No but this may help although I will bet that you will dispute this as you refuse to believe that people buy cars based on brand name.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...m-brand-value/
Old 09-07-2018, 12:34 PM
Novice driver

Back to the thread topic, here are some numbers that underscore the trend toward SAVs:

January - August sales for BMW brand automobiles in U.S. market, proportion of sales consisting of passenger cars
  • 2013: 74.33%
  • 2014: 72.68%
  • 2015: 71.11%
  • 2016: 68.67%
  • 2017: 65.52%
  • 2018: 64.00%

The shift away from passenger cars at BMW of NA accelerated in 2Q 2018. At this rate, the proportion of BMW brand sales consisting of passenger cars will drop well below 60% by 2020.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 F30 328i
Quote:
[/B] I am not into watches at all. Even though I am not into watches I have heard of the watch brand "Rolex". Of course, I have heard of other brands, but the "Rolex" brand is a luxury brand watch to me. If I see someone wearing a Rolex watch, I think "wow a rolex!".

For watch people, they might know which rolex it was, and they might know the difference between a rolex that cost 2k and one that cost 20k. For THEM the 2k rolex would be "meh". They also might know that the 2k rolex can be had on the 2nd hand watch market for a few hundred dollars.
This sums it up perfectly.

2012 328i Luxury Line | Glacier Silver/Saddle Brown | Premium pkg | Tech pkg | Cold weather pkg | Lighting pkg | Park distance control | Anti-theft alarm system
Old 09-07-2018, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 330i
Quote:
Got to side with Michael on this one gk. Brands are extremely powerful draws. Think about this: Would BMW be able to sell a 320i or would MB be able to sell a CLA250 for the price they do if they didn't have the BMW and MB badges? No way. If those exact cars were Toyotas, what would they sell for?

Here's another illustration of the power of brands: When my lease was coming due on my MY2014 328i, I went into a Ford dealership to test drive the Fusion Platinum. The price, if I remember correctly, was about 40k MSRP. The salesman, an older gent, asked me to point out my car in the lot. As we drove away in the Fusion, he asked me, "Are you sure you want to go from a BMW to a Ford?" Even though the Fusion had many more features than my car and also drove very well, the salesman never asked me about the car itself; how it might compare as far as features and equipment to the Fusion. It could have been a stock 320i for all he knew. But he automatically assumed, as most people do, that my BMW, by virtue of its brand, had to be a significant step up from the Fusion Platinum that he was supposed to be trying to sell me. That's the only lesson I'll ever need about the power of a brand name.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:43 PM

I think gkr and Michael are both (mostly) wrong. Yeah, people in the general population perceive BMW's as being luxury cars. But, the people who actually buy them usually do so for different reasons. They buy them because they enjoy them.

Admittedly, there are some people who buy new BMW's as a status symbol. I know one. He has a 2005 E46 330ci ZHP with less than 10k miles on it. That car is big part of his identity. He spent five years paying the thing off and he'll never get another one, because he's retiring soon and he put more money into car payments than into his 401(k). He's moving back to where he grew when he retired in December. He once told me that he can't wait until he runs into somebody he went to high school with and they see him in a BMW. WTF?

The BMW E10 (2002, predecessor to the 3 Series) was my high school dream car. My cousin-in-law back then had on and would let me drive it. I absolutely loved that car. But, non of my high school buddies in the mid-1970's had any idea what a BMW was. When I'd point a 2002 out in traffic, most of them though it was a FIAT... and then pass the bong... Hey, it was the 70's. An acquaintance of my mother owned the local BMW dealership (a one car showroom on the corner of the lot at his big Pontiac-GMC dealership. He told her that he didn't understand "those cars" (BMW's), but his customers loved them.

I must admit, though... BMW's are chick magnets. Uhhh… ummm… at least they were in my single days. Yeah, that's it... years ago.

For a long time, Audi's were just gussied up FWD, water-cooled VW's., without the status of a BMW, M-B, or Porsche. But, before their demonic possession problems (un-intended acceleration), the large Audi sedan had the best customer demographics of any mass produced car, including BMW and M-B. It was bought by very successful people who just wanted a nice car, and didn't need to impress anybody with what they were driving.

I describe one of my cousins as a tree-hugging, socialist hippy. But, she's worked long, worked hard, and worked smart, and invested well. One day, she woke up as a multi-millionaire. She currently drives a Smart and a worn out Honda Element. But, she's lusting for a Range Rover... because she wants one. It has nothing to do with status. She'll probably get a diesel, and she's also waiting for the electric Smart to come out. She'll spring for solar panels on her roof to charge it.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
I think gkr and Michael are both (mostly) wrong. Yeah, people in the general population perceive BMW's as being luxury cars. But, the people who actually buy them usually do so for different reasons. They buy them because they enjoy them.

Admittedly, there are some people who buy new BMW's as a status symbol. I know one. He has a 2005 E46 330ci ZHP with less than 10k miles on it. That car is big part of his identity. He spent five years paying the thing off and he'll never get another one, because he's retiring soon and he put more money into car payments than into his 401(k). He's moving back to where he grew when he retired in December. He once told me that he can't wait until he runs into somebody he went to high school with and they see him in a BMW. WTF?

The BMW E10 (2002, predecessor to the 3 Series) was my high school dream car. My cousin-in-law back then had on and would let me drive it. I absolutely loved that car. But, non of my high school buddies in the mid-1970's had any idea what a BMW was. When I'd point a 2002 out in traffic, most of them though it was a FIAT... and then pass the bong... Hey, it was the 70's. An acquaintance of my mother owned the local BMW dealership (a one car showroom on the corner of the lot at his big Pontiac-GMC dealership. He told her that he didn't understand "those cars" (BMW's), but his customers loved them.

I must admit, though... BMW's are chick magnets. Uhhh… ummm… at least they were in my single days. Yeah, that's it... years ago.

For a long time, Audi's were just gussied up FWD, water-cooled VW's., without the status of a BMW, M-B, or Porsche. But, before their demonic possession problems (un-intended acceleration), the large Audi sedan had the best customer demographics of any mass produced car, including BMW and M-B. It was bought by very successful people who just wanted a nice car, and didn't need to impress anybody with what they were driving.

I describe one of my cousins as a tree-hugging, socialist hippy. But, she's worked long, worked hard, and worked smart, and invested well. One day, she woke up as a multi-millionaire. She currently drives a Smart and a worn out Honda Element. But, she's lusting for a Range Rover... because she wants one. It has nothing to do with status. She'll probably get a diesel, and she's also waiting for the electric Smart to come out. She'll spring for solar panels on her roof to charge it.
Can't you enjoy a car and love the status it gives you? Of course you can. Often the two are the same.

Here's my story. I worked in sales for a manufacturing company. Half the time I was in the office, the rest out of town visiting customers. The parking lot was full of the typical brands, Chevy, Ford, Chrysler, some Japanese brands as well. But the owners of the company drove BMW's. Mainly a 6 series for her and a 535i for him. I had my F30 328i. I guarantee my car looked more prestigious than the other cars and trucks in the lot.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: E93 335i, somewhat mod
Quote:
Pics of the new x3 are out. Will it beat the 3/4 in USA sales since it now being built in 2 plants instead of one and the compact luxury crossover segment is one of the hottest segments in the industry http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-and-info-news

Illuminate me! As SUV's go, the X3 is....pequeño. Is it an image buy?

Popular: F-150, Tahoe, Yukon, etc. I know --> F-150's a pickup. But, extremely popular anyway and a competitor in the space IMHO. Crew cab.

Why SUV? . Cargo capacity. Elbow room. Comfort.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY TRE View Post
Illuminate me! As SUV's go, the X3 is....pequeño. Is it an image buy?

Popular: F-150, Tahoe, Yukon, etc. I know --> F-150's a pickup. But, extremely popular anyway and a competitor in the space IMHO. Crew cab.

Why SUV? . Cargo capacity. Elbow room. Comfort.
It has more leg room than my F10 5 Series.

Frau Putzer wanted something that was just big enough, but not any bigger. The X1 was too small. She would have been reasonably happy with a Honda CR-V or a Hyundai Tucson. But, the Honda and Hyundai dealers' sales managers were ****s. So, she got a BMW instead.

A lot of crew-cab F-150's end up with a shell over the bed... effectively making is a gigantic... sedan... with a massive trunk. A F-150 "sedan" driving friend of mine is an avid SCUBA diver. He specifically got the F-150 "sedan" instead of a big SUV because he didn't want SCUBA tanks bouncing around in the passenger compartment in a wreck.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 09-07-2018 at 07:58 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search