Looking for some details on PCD and the buying process - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > Ask-A-BMW-Dealer

Ask-A-BMW-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors from supporting BMW dealerships. Get all of your BMW pricing, ordering, buying, financing, and leasing questions answered here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-05-2020, 08:58 AM
StickForLife StickForLife is offline
Registered User
Location: Cleveland
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: Not a BMW yet
Looking for some details on PCD and the buying process

Good day to everyone!

I'm quite literally what you call a long-time lurker, seldom poster. I've made my way through the BMW brand as my career grew, starting with a used E46 330xi 6MT (so lovely!), then when I lost her a CPO E90 335i 6MT which I drive now. I'm ready to make the leap to a new financed M340i this year.

I really want to do PCD, but I know it will add time to the order. I'm OK with this, but I'm seeking to understand how this impacts from an ordering and financing perspective.

My build has one Priority 1 option (5DF - Active Cruise Control), and I am strongly considering Tanzanite Blue as well. As I understand, any P1 option will add a month to the build, so will 2 P1 options add more? Is there an approval process to add P1 options as there is with completely individual paint/interior?

I also had a question about order timing, financing and down payments. When the car is ordered for PCD, do you complete the buyer's contract at that time (financing through BMWFS), providing the down payment and trade if any? Or is it completed shortly before or after delivery?

I wanted to target a MY 2020 because I have a funny feeling 5DF will vanish in 2021. I''m either late X or early Millenial and to me 5DF is important because it gives me active cruise for long journeys without imposing the crutch of lane-keep assist on the "ultimate driving machine". I'm a firm believer that partial "autonomy" is much worse than full autonomous driving from a concentration and safety perspective. I'll also happily take any corrections to my understanding of 5DF vs. ZDA/ZDY.
Any comment on 2021 availability for this feature?

Thank you very much for your insights!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 01-09-2020, 11:53 PM
Jon Shafer's Avatar
Jon Shafer Jon Shafer is offline
Bimmerfest Founder
Location: BMW of Santa Maria
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,908
Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp + E30 325
P1 options are not "Individual" and therefore should not delay production. Other than a deposit to "seal the deal" no funds are necessary until contracting prior to delivery. I don't expect 5Df to disappear any time soon.

__________________

No-Haggle/Internet Special Pricing NEW BMW SALES email me for a quote: JShaf[email protected]
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-10-2020, 10:20 AM
1968BMW2800 1968BMW2800 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,412
Mein Auto: MINI Clubman S All4
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickForLife View Post

I also had a question about order timing, financing and down payments. When the car is ordered for PCD, do you complete the buyer's contract at that time (financing through BMWFS), providing the down payment and trade if any?
Just a heads up and a reminder as to why it is always best to work with a knowledgeable and engaged client advisor (salesperson), especially on a PCD.

Incentives, while not what they once were, can make a meaningful difference in the delivered cost of a vehicle. How incentives are applied to a deal, capturing all available publicized and non-publicized incentives, locking in what can be locked in and making sure, on the date of delivery, the most advantageous incentives and terms available on that date are correctly applied, and making sure at the time the final order is agreed upon and finalized as to what the "worst case" terms of delivery will be... devil's in the details, if the details matter to you.

Many of us have ordered cars with zero money changing hands until the day of delivery at the dealership -- PCD is a bit different in that, unlike delivery from a dealer's facility wherein, even with an ordered car where if you don't like the actual vehicle you can just walk away, if there is an issue with a PCD vehicle, your trusted sales rep isn't standing next to you to assist.

The PCD experience is designed to deliver vehicles in excellent condition in an entertaining and ideal setting. The important thing is to work closely and carefully with a trusted sales team within a solid dealership so that the order is correct and the deal is right and, thus, on the day you show up for PCD, it's a fun day and a positive experience start to finish. And you drive off in the exact vehicle you want with agreeable and satisfactory terms, with every available incentive properly applied.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 01-10-2020, 11:02 AM
Jon Shafer's Avatar
Jon Shafer Jon Shafer is offline
Bimmerfest Founder
Location: BMW of Santa Maria
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,908
Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp + E30 325
I agree. Trust is everything, and you want a CA who is your personal advocate, truly on your side..

I'll give you an example. Whenever I coordinate a custom order, could be for PCD, or ED, or regular domestic delivery, I get a credit application from my customer and lock the deal with the current incentive offerings. Then, 2 or 3 months later, I review the latest offerings, and always go with whichever month's programs will result in the best deal for my buyers.

Many BMW Client Advisors won't even bother to monitor the monthly incentive program changes or communicate them to their customers, and will effectively retain or "scoop" any new incentives for their own benefit. I agree to do thus up front and in writing..
__________________

No-Haggle/Internet Special Pricing NEW BMW SALES email me for a quote: [email protected]

Last edited by Jon Shafer; 01-10-2020 at 11:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-10-2020, 05:08 PM
Shon528's Avatar
Shon528 Shon528 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston, MA
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,351
Send a message via AIM to Shon528 Send a message via Yahoo to Shon528
Mein Auto: '16 GLE350
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickForLife View Post
Good day to everyone!

I'm quite literally what you call a long-time lurker, seldom poster. I've made my way through the BMW brand as my career grew, starting with a used E46 330xi 6MT (so lovely!), then when I lost her a CPO E90 335i 6MT which I drive now. I'm ready to make the leap to a new financed M340i this year.

I really want to do PCD, but I know it will add time to the order. I'm OK with this, but I'm seeking to understand how this impacts from an ordering and financing perspective.

My build has one Priority 1 option (5DF - Active Cruise Control), and I am strongly considering Tanzanite Blue as well. As I understand, any P1 option will add a month to the build, so will 2 P1 options add more? Is there an approval process to add P1 options as there is with completely individual paint/interior?

I also had a question about order timing, financing and down payments. When the car is ordered for PCD, do you complete the buyer's contract at that time (financing through BMWFS), providing the down payment and trade if any? Or is it completed shortly before or after delivery?

I wanted to target a MY 2020 because I have a funny feeling 5DF will vanish in 2021. I''m either late X or early Millenial and to me 5DF is important because it gives me active cruise for long journeys without imposing the crutch of lane-keep assist on the "ultimate driving machine". I'm a firm believer that partial "autonomy" is much worse than full autonomous driving from a concentration and safety perspective. I'll also happily take any corrections to my understanding of 5DF vs. ZDA/ZDY.
Any comment on 2021 availability for this feature?

Thank you very much for your insights!
The time "added", so to speak, isn't as bad as you're thinking. It is due to the Performance Center only having so many time slots for delivery. Flexibility on your part can be helpful. Not sure when your order is for but if you have a production number, you can track the vehicle. Once it is on a boat, your CA can start requesting dates for delivery. This is where flexibility on your part comes into play. Everyone wants a Friday, Monday, or a holiday weekend. You may be able to get a Friday, but if you can arrange a Tuesday or Wednesday, that can push you up several weeks earlier.

The last 2 times I have done PCD, I signed the paperwork about a week before my delivery date. So from an insurance,registration, and financing (or leasing) standpoint, you are already paying for a car that is not yet physically in your possession. This is where it is important to have an experienced CA. You're signing for a car you haven't seen yet. Also, he/she has to be on the ball with when your rate lock expires in regards to when you're "taking delivery" of it.
__________________
Boston CCA 383036
'20 M340i (on order, ED 4/2020)
'19 MB GLS450
'07 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD

Gone: '17 340i 6mt, MPPSK, PCD 2/17, '16 GLE350, '06 LR3 HSE, '14 320i 6MT ZSP ZPP PCD 5/14, '12 ML350 diesel, '11 Accord 5mt, '10 MDX, '08 Accord 5mt, '06 Xterra 6mt, '98 528i, '95 Mazda Millenia
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-05-2020, 02:15 PM
StickForLife StickForLife is offline
Registered User
Location: Cleveland
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: Not a BMW yet
Thanks to everyone who responded! I'm very grateful for the advice regarding trust and know-how in this process.

I lucked out and happened to get an excellent deal from a CA I was in contact with locally and was concerned that the incentives would roll off before February so I pulled the trigger on a non PCD order in late January to be sure I fit in the lock window. Was a disappointment to be sure but it's not likely to be the last BMW I order.

So far, he's been very aboveboard with me on all communications and is completely understanding of my need to have this order completed within the lock period. Hoping to get through this waiting period with my sanity intact... and get on to enjoying my first new BMW!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-05-2020, 03:48 PM
Tim-Bim Tim-Bim is offline
Registered User
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: X5
The local BMW salesman was really pushing me to buy something on the lot and discouraging me from a special order or PCD. (This, and other concerns led me to a different dealer). One of the things he told me was that 1) with PCD, they could not discount at all (pretty sure that is false). 2) The paperwork would have to be completed 2 weeks prior to delivery. and 3) If I had a trade-in, I would have to turn it in to the dealer 2 weeks prior to PCD delivery (and presumably rent a car for 2 weeks). I am just curious how much of this is true. Note: I am a cash customer, not lease.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-05-2020, 04:21 PM
Jon Shafer's Avatar
Jon Shafer Jon Shafer is offline
Bimmerfest Founder
Location: BMW of Santa Maria
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,908
Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp + E30 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-Bim View Post
The local BMW salesman was really pushing me to buy something on the lot and discouraging me from a special order or PCD. (This, and other concerns led me to a different dealer). One of the things he told me was that 1) with PCD, they could not discount at all (pretty sure that is false). 2) The paperwork would have to be completed 2 weeks prior to delivery. and 3) If I had a trade-in, I would have to turn it in to the dealer 2 weeks prior to PCD delivery (and presumably rent a car for 2 weeks). I am just curious how much of this is true. Note: I am a cash customer, not lease.
Oy. The problem I suspect is a novice Client Advisor. I have studied Psychology ad nauseam, and I know that complex processes such as European Delivery and PCD are kind of scary, and many inexperienced CAs go out of their way find clever escapes or excuses from having to learn how to do them. Yes, the paperwork must be cleared ahead of time, no dealer wants a customer out driving a new car without the deal/contracts in order and deal funded. I am sure you can appreciate why... It does cost no extra $ to take PCD; sure, we'd like to make more to compensate for extra effort, but what the heck, delivery (perhaps the most challenging aspect) is handed off to someone else, a total pro, so in a way, aside from having to follow the steps and fie docs in a timely manner, successfully orchestrating a PCD, is actually easier than conventional delivery...
__________________

No-Haggle/Internet Special Pricing NEW BMW SALES email me for a quote: [email protected]

Last edited by Jon Shafer; 02-05-2020 at 04:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-12-2020, 03:30 AM
CTSoxFan CTSoxFan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Austin, TX
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,451
Mein Auto: 2018 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-Bim View Post
The local BMW salesman was really pushing me to buy something on the lot and discouraging me from a special order or PCD. (This, and other concerns led me to a different dealer). One of the things he told me was that 1) with PCD, they could not discount at all (pretty sure that is false). 2) The paperwork would have to be completed 2 weeks prior to delivery. and 3) If I had a trade-in, I would have to turn it in to the dealer 2 weeks prior to PCD delivery (and presumably rent a car for 2 weeks). I am just curious how much of this is true. Note: I am a cash customer, not lease.
Jon hit on #1 & 2, on #3, it really depends on your relationship with the dealer and their policies. For most dealers, if there is a trade involved you would need to turn it in at the time you sign the paperwork because if something were to happen between then and delivery it can cause a nightmare. Because you are a cash buyer, you might be able to work out an agreement where they purchased your car after the PCD for a set price, provided there are no condition or significant mileage changes, or they may let you use it as a "loaner" for the couple of weeks. Likely harder if you're financing due to bank involvement...and obviously being a repeat customer will always help matters. Also I would speculate this would be easier on a PCD vs. ED as the time between signing paperwork and getting your car is significantly shorter.
__________________
Current:
2019 X3 M40i
2018 M3

Previous:
2015 M235i CV
2014 X5 35i
2013 550xi
2011 X5 35d
2007 328xi
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-12-2020, 06:02 AM
Tim-Bim Tim-Bim is offline
Registered User
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSoxFan View Post
Jon hit on #1 & 2, on #3, it really depends on your relationship with the dealer and their policies. For most dealers, if there is a trade involved you would need to turn it in at the time you sign the paperwork because if something were to happen between then and delivery it can cause a nightmare. Because you are a cash buyer, you might be able to work out an agreement where they purchased your car after the PCD for a set price, provided there are no condition or significant mileage changes, or they may let you use it as a "loaner" for the couple of weeks. Likely harder if you're financing due to bank involvement...and obviously being a repeat customer will always help matters. Also I would speculate this would be easier on a PCD vs. ED as the time between signing paperwork and getting your car is significantly shorter.
Thanks! That makes sense,
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > Ask-A-BMW-Dealer
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.