Thoughts on convertibles? - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Old 01-23-2020, 05:21 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335i Cabriolet
Convertible vs. coupe vs. sedan just depends on your tastes. Don't be one of those people who drive their convertible around with the top down, windows up, and a wind screen deployed behind the head rests.

Then again, I own several motorcycles and am used to the wind in my face (and I rather enjoy it). A convertible gives me a way to enjoy the wind and sun when I'm not able to ride one of my motorcycles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2020, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 M4 Convertible
do it

I own a F83 M4 convertible and I love it as a daily driver. I know the M purists hate the 'vert, but with the top down it does have a near perfect 50/50 weight distribution. The hard top is nice in that it works as a standard coupe with the option to drop the top. it is a bit noisy especially when it is cold - creaks and what not. With the wind screen in the back seat you can drive on the highway without issue. This is my first convertible and it will be hard to not own one in the future.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:34 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Love them. Previously owned 5 BMW convertibles, rag tops all.

Currently: 2015 Porsche 911 GTS and 2018 718S Boxster

Past BMWs: `05 645CiC; `07 650i; `08 M6 convertible; '08 135i; `11 750ix MSport; `15 M235i convertible

Others: '11 Panamera 4S; '13 Boxster S; '13 911 C4

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 01-23-2020, 12:15 PM

Mein Auto: m240 convertible
[QUOTE=ravnwood;13228425] Don't be one of those people who drive their convertible around with the top down, windows up, and a windscreen deployed behind the headrests.

Why not? On sub 60-degree mornings or nights, even with the butt warmer going, I like windows up --- don't know about a windscreen, none of the 25+ verts I have owned in the last 40 years has had a one.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328-I Hardtop Conv
Convertible or not?

If you live life safe without taking any risks, then stay with your sedan. I've had a 97 328 convertible for 15 years and now and 2012 hard top. Feeling the wind through your hair, seeing the sun and clouds or moor above you is quite lovely.

Sure there's been a leak or two, but as with anything there's pros and cons. I prefer them for the fun and the smile they put on my face. It's really a personal pleasure. Sure places like Phoenix aren't so popular as it's so darn hot, but haven't had rattle or overt noisy environments with them.

Just my 2 cents of pleasure.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328-I Hardtop Conv
Convertible or not?

If you live life safe without taking any risks, then stay with your sedan. I've had a 97 328 convertible for 15 years and now and 2012 hard top. Feeling the wind through your hair, seeing the sun and clouds or moon above you is quite lovely.It's a visceral experience. I have had motorcycles. It's a similar thrill and pleasure, but a bit safer than the motorcycle.

Sure there's been a leak or two, but as with anything there's pros and cons. I prefer them for the fun and the smile they put on my face. It's really a personal pleasure. Sure places like Phoenix aren't so popular as it's so darn hot, but haven't had rattle or overt noisy environments with them.

Just my 2 cents of pleasure.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:08 PM
CarSwami

Mein Auto: BMW 335i Convertible
I live in Maryland where I cannot use my 335i convertible with the top down for probably 8- 9 months of the year. But do I regret buying it in the first place? Never! I love my convertible. I test drove the Audi and BMW models in 2007 when I was looking to buy a convertible and eventually decided on the BMW because it had a hard top and the road noise was much lower when driving the car with the hard top in place. It also looks more like a coupe with the top up and several of my colleagues at work have been surprised when they have seen me lower the top down in a parking lot. They never realized that I was driving a convertible. This has been my first convertible and now that I know what the experience feels like, I will always have one in my garage even though I know that I will probably only use the vehicle with the top down 3 or 4 months in the year. But on those days when I can lower the top and ride with the wind gliding past my bald pate, it is pure bliss! I would not miss it for the world! YMMV!

Cal68
Old 01-26-2020, 02:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarSwami View Post
I live in Maryland where I cannot use my 335i convertible with the top down for probably 8- 9 months of the year.
Maryland has 8-9 months of weather where you CAN use the top down.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto:
I never wanted a convertible because as a woman it messes up my hair, heaven forbid. Fast forward 17 years to living with Lupus (hence hair loss which keeps me in hats) Convertibles are a possibility! One week ago I went to BMW in search of a 'second' car for myself. I have an older Lexus RX which is wonderful for someone with 3 dogs and frequents Home Depot but I wanted a car for ME and lots of fun (and one I didn't have to vacuum every time I wanted to arrive without dog hair.)

Back to BMW (after crossing off Lexus and Mercedes), went in to look at the convertible hardtop 440i. Well, it looked funny. Not funny haha, but funny. It had a bunch of breaks in the roof along with visible hinges. Frankly I expected better from BMW but I learned its getting a total redo for 2021. I didn't want to wait for it. So I spied a 2020 Z4 sDrive 30i in the showroom, what a looker! After a disasterous test drive with the 440, the sales person said she noticed me looking at that Z4 and there was a Black 2020 Z4 M40i out front (i.e. used cars which I warned her I didn't want) BUT she tells me it had only 1400 miles on it and the guy only had it for 2 months! It was essentially brand new and he bought it for his wife but she wanted a Porsche so he brought it back and bought her the Porsche (must be nice). I received a great cut in price and one hell of a car!

For a person who never thought she'd drive a convertible, let alone a 2 seater with a cloth top....just proves life is quirky that way. I never say never and sometimes lifes short and you just have to go for it.

P.S. I am amazed at how quiet the interior is with the top up and inside you would never know that the underside of the roof doesn't look like every other headliner. And, the guy that mentioned the ton of metal in it...he's right.
Old 01-26-2020, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: 1987 BMW 535is 2008 E64
I always keep a guest ball cap in my convertibles for hair and sun reasons. My E64 is very quiet. You can listen to Mozart and Beethoven if you want to.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
hahaha LOL same thing here, used to keep a hat/cap for my DD ( at the time) but she loved her hair going all over the place.

you know Mozart and Beethoven used to live down the street from each other, they were best mates, used to go to each others houses and play with each others harpsichords

Quote:
Originally Posted by zod View Post
I always keep a guest ball cap in my convertibles for hair and sun reasons. My E64 is very quiet. You can listen to Mozart and Beethoven if you want to.
Old 01-26-2020, 08:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2020 series 2 230i
Indufan you mentioned that you drive your vert daily there in Naptown but how do you keep it clean?
Old 01-26-2020, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: 1987 BMW 535is 2008 E64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
hahaha LOL same thing here, used to keep a hat/cap for my DD ( at the time) but she loved her hair going all over the place.

you know Mozart and Beethoven used to live down the street from each other, they were best mates, used to go to each others houses and play with each others harpsichords
Two different cats, in two different times. There's some speculation that they may have met at one time.

I'm still auditioning driving music.

Surf music works:

I'm still searching.

Last edited by zod; 01-27-2020 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genod View Post
Indufan you mentioned that you drive your vert daily there in Naptown but how do you keep it clean?
It isn't a big problem. Or it hasn't been this winter. We have only had one bad snowstorm. We have a rag based chain of car washes which is just excellent. But I have only had to use that once so far. The mineral gray does carry dirt well but at least it hasn't been loaded with salt so far.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: M235i Convertible 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast 456 View Post
For the first time in my life I am considering a convertible.

When buttoned up are they relatively quiet and rattle-free?
Yes and yes.

Back in 2000, my first convertible had just a single-layer fabric. Things have come a long way since then and the roof of my 2016 M235i with its 5-layer fabric means that I found almost no difference in interior noise between the coupé and convertible.

My previous car was a 330d xDrive Touring with panoramic roof and a ton of window glass behind the driver. Yes, you do have to reconcile yourself to a small rear window; absolutely must have the reversing camera; and have to go back to basics in really using the wing and rear-view mirrors when maneuvering.

But for me, these are minor downsides when balanced against the open-top experience. We drive with the top down much more than I expected, and many otherwise mundane trips out in spring and autumn are transformed into enjoyable drives.

And another contrast to my 2000 'vert is that with the wind deflector up, we can actually have a conversation at 60mph - something which was impossible at speeds over 35mph in the older car.

And obviously, driving over the Alps in the summer is a convertible's forté:

Last edited by msej449; 02-02-2020 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:43 AM

I offer this opportunity to anyone who is not sure of buying a vert, come and take a spin in my baby, summer, winter fall, I'll make you change your mind.

Of course I'm in Canada eh ! But offer is still there
Old 02-02-2020, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
I offer this opportunity to anyone who is not sure of buying a vert, come and take a spin in my baby, summer, winter fall, I'll make you change your mind.

Of course I'm in Canada eh ! But offer is still there
I am having a little trouble comprehending. Which do you consider good seasons for the convertible in Canada?
Old 02-02-2020, 10:32 AM

any season, that's the point, mine's a daily driver, I love it top up or down, up in winter is never an issue, down in summer fantastic, can't put the top down below 0 (I think) due to damaging the hydralicss (or so the manual says) or... it might by -7, MEH
I drove around London (UK) in the Porsche for Christmas with the top down one night, it was the BOMB
Old 02-02-2020, 11:57 AM

Canada requires snow tires for the winter months so...Those temps are Celsius? Then below freezing.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:32 PM

from the online manual

At temperatures below +14 7/–10 6, do not move the convertible top as this could result in damage.

14deg f or -10 c

Last edited by jaye944; 02-02-2020 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto:
Was able to squeeze an hour or so out today with the top down with highs in the low 60s F here today.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:15 PM

Went out yesterday in my convertible but too cold to put the top down. 36 degrees. But it sure was nice to get out in it. We have maybe a foot and a half of snow on the ground but roads are dry and salt is minimal as we really have only had cold weather and little snow lately. The cold keeps the snow from melting. Heated seats came in handy.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:04 PM
Living the Dream

Mein Auto: 2015 M235i
I love convertibles. Always have. They’re not for everyone, but if you like them, you love them. If you do, go for it.
2007 335i Convertible Space Gray Metallic/Light Silver Gray (gone)
2006 Z4 3.0i Montego Blue/Sand Beige (gone)
2000 323i Sienna Red/Beige (gone)
1985 318i 5sp manual Alpine White/Navy cloth (gone)

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search