7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.
||Thread Tools||Display Modes|
E65 LCI 750i Experiences and reliability
Hello! I am planning to change my BMW F10 LCI 518da -14 (M-Sport interior and exterior) to E65 LCI 750ia -06 (Almost fully loaded)
I know that it sound pretty stupid change from -14 car to -06, but I drive like 5k kilometers/year nowdays, so I want to enjoy driving and 4-cylinder diesel doesn't bring me the "feeling" what V8 could bring. Also we have sky high taxes for diesels in Finland, like 650€/year, when V8 taxes are like 470€/year. Yes I know that the V8 drinks gasoline, but I can live with that, possibly getting like 12l/100km mixed 80% highway and 20% city?
My F10 have 395 000km now on the clock and E65 have 262 000km.
Here is E65 important equipment:
S701 Area-Code 5 For DVD
S416 Roller Sun Visor, Rear Lateral
S431 Interior Mirror With Automatic-Dip
S494 Seat Heating Driver/Passenger
S496 Seat Heating, Rear
S456 Comfort Seat With Memory
S488 Lumbar Support, Driver And Passenger
S403 Glass Roof, Electrical
S438 Fine Wood Trim
S633 Preparation, Mobile Phone, Business
S672 CD Changer For 6 CDs
S601 TV Function
S609 Navigation System Professional
S677 HiFi System Professional DSP
S611 BMW Night Vision
S508 Park Distance Control (PDC)
S524 Adaptive Headlights
S521 Rain Sensor
S534 Automatic Air Conditioning
S536 Auxiliary Heating
S541 Active Cruise Control
S248 Steering Wheel Heater
S220 Self-Levelling Suspension
S2VA Chassis & Suspens. Setup"Adaptive Drive"
S255 Sports Leather Steering Wheel
S316 Automatic Trunk Lid Mechanism
S322 Comfort Access
S842 Cold-Climate Version
S302 Alarm System
S896 Daytime Driving Lights
S354 Windscreen, Green-Tinted Upper Strip
S323 Soft-Close-Automatic Doors
S760 High Gloss Shadow Line
Almost fully loaded I think?
Car haves excellent service history, from 2006 to 2016 (0km to 218k) only one women owner and all services from 06 to 16 have been done at BMW. 31 pages services.
Here is some of the most important ones:
- Outdoor thermometer, Cooling system pressure test, Leakage current determination, Temperature sensor replacement 12.11.2014/195k
- Navigator DVD, brake fluids, alternator belt and tensioner, front brakes 12.3.2015/203k
- Alternator Belt, Cardan Gaskets/bushings/seals, Bearings & Joints, Mechatronics Gaskets / gearbox Gaskets, Gearbox Oils, Oil Level Sensor Replacement for Engine, Gearbox Adaptations 3.6.2015/203k
- Air filter housing tube, engine adaptation 31.8.2015/209k
- PDC sensor 6.10.2015/210k
- Windshield 2015
- Tailgate hydraulic cylinder 29.12.2015/217k
- Fog lights 29.12.2015/217k
- DLS 10cm compo (?) 29.12.2015
- Crankcase housing and gaskets (11147507278) 15.1.2016/216k
- 6 and 7 cyl coils cleaned 8.2.2016/217k
- Timing chains, tensioners+ gaskets, Valve Gasket Set, coolant pipe middle of the engine, ignition coil, 28.4.2016/218k
- Connecting Rod Bearings, piston rings, gaskets, tie rod bushings, 28.4.2016/218k
- Brakefluid, 3x lower suspension arms, 2x tie rods, alternator + belt, exhaust gaskets, mechatonics seals/gearbox gaskets/seals, gearbox oils and turbine repair 15.2.2017/230k
- AC service 2018
Would you dare to buy this car? I am just wondering if any big repairs would come soon...
Do you think the exchange makes sense from F10 to E65? Downgrade or not?
What kind of faults can the N62B48TU engine have and how reliable is it? What about the gearbox ZF 6HP28?
Any other faults regarding the E65 LCI, what should I check when test driving the car?
Sorry for my bad English, just trying to ask about the car, because we dont have too many E65 here in Finland
I would say that the F10 isn't any worse in terms of interior quality (and with nappa leather, probably at least as good), but as soon as you start using the first generation iDrive, it'll feel ancient compared to NBT in your F10. When you are driving in the city or slow traffic, you'll notice how rough the ZF6HP transmission shifts between 1st and 2nd gears compared to the ZF8HP. This is a common problem with the ZF6HP and is more pronounced on V8 engines because of the higher torque, only getting worse over time.
There are a ton of common problems when it comes to the E65's electronics (ie. ASK, IVM, PDC, MOST bus devices failing and breaking the entire loop), engine (ie. valve cover gasket leaks, alternator bracket leak, coolant weep hole leak, valve stem seals), transmission (ie. mechatronics adapter and sleeve leaks, rough shifts), and other mechanical components (ie. water-cooled alternator, ARS sway bar leak). It's possible that many of these problems have already been addressed, as they will usually happen around 100K miles, but there's just too many common problems. The only vehicle that might be worse would be the pre-LCI F01 750i, but even then, most of the problems are with the N63 engine rather than all over the car.
Have you looked at a F01 LCI 740i? It's going to be a much better choice than the E65 and should be an upgrade over your F10 in just about every aspect.
|See More Related BMW Stories|
|Today's Posts Search|