Video module. Video INPUT possible? - Page 11 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 730i E65
I discovered something today.
The normal 6.5" between the seat monitor's driving board is equipped for dual outputs for some reason? All the traces are there on the board, it's just the connectors that are missing. It is dual everything and you can even see the traces going between some of the connectors

Take a look here.
This is the main connector going to the lcd:

And this is the extra connector:

This is the light sensor connector for the dimming:

And this is a duplicate connector

And this connector has the extra one next to it:

And the same for this one driving the backlight:

And then there are some other unknown unused connectors:

I wonder what they are used for?

I guess they are still there on this board because it's much cheaper to make one board version with all traces and just leving some components instead of making two versions.

Maybe it can be used for dual monitor setup but I don't know how much other components that are missing for that function.

You can see more photos in high resolution here:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...LRZFWa5SAZ1B9K

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2019, 03:37 AM

Mein Auto: BMW e65 730d
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbelito View Post
I discovered something today.
The normal 6.5" between the seat monitor's driving board is equipped for dual outputs for some reason? All the traces are there on the board, it's just the connectors that are missing. It is dual everything and you can even see the traces going between some of the connectors

Take a look here.
This is the main connector going to the lcd:

And this is the extra connector:

This is the light sensor connector for the dimming:

And this is a duplicate connector

And this connector has the extra one next to it:

And the same for this one driving the backlight:

And then there are some other unknown unused connectors:

I wonder what they are used for?

I guess they are still there on this board because it's much cheaper to make one board version with all traces and just leving some components instead of making two versions.

Maybe it can be used for dual monitor setup but I don't know how much other components that are missing for that function.

You can see more photos in high resolution here:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...LRZFWa5SAZ1B9K

Wow,
Could these other be different type outputs? RGB or something?

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2019, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimdahers View Post
Wow,
Could these other be different type outputs? RGB or something?

Could be. Only way to find out is to go ham with an oscilloscope and check whether or not anything is active on any of those outputs.

The two 6 pin connectors here:

seems suspicious with 3 of the connectors connected to what I can assume is ground.
Then maybe the other 3 is R, Gs and B.

Unfortunately after looking at the spechsheet there doesn't seem to be any digital to analog converters in that chip. Althoug those pads are for general purpose i/o but most likely just some UART connections.
***8208;--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe the other dual redundant set of connectors to a screen could be for a larger monitor to push double the amount of pixel bandwidth

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2019, 03:54 AM

RGB would be good enough.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:33 AM

Quote:
RGB would be good enough.

If I can get my hands on an oscilloscope I can take a look this weekend.

Old 09-06-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
If I can get my hands on an oscilloscope I can take a look this weekend.

That would be perfect.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
That would be perfect.

I just don't know what mhz the scope needs to be. They are very expensive and for a 100mhz version they want 372 euro.
And for a 12mhz version that connects to a pc they want 140 euro.

Maximum output on the lvds transmitter inside the MMIF is 66Mhz but I don't know if that's used to the fullest

Old 09-08-2019, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 740d (e65)
Quote:
I just don't know what mhz the scope needs to be. They are very expensive and for a 100mhz version they want 372 euro.
And for a 12mhz version that connects to a pc they want 140 euro.

Maximum output on the lvds transmitter inside the MMIF is 66Mhz but I don't know if that's used to the fullest

If you don't have an oscilloscope, I bought this one as I don't really need it on a day to day basis : Rigol DS1054z.
BTW, a lot of features can be unlocked pretty easily (I'll tell you how in PM if needed).

It is a really decent oscilloscope that does what it is supposed to be and has a lot of features.
Take a look at the reviews of EEVblog :
Old 09-08-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simkard View Post
If you don't have an oscilloscope, I bought this one as I don't really need it on a day to day basis : Rigol DS1054z.

BTW, a lot of features can be unlocked pretty easily (I'll tell you how in PM if needed).

It is a really decent oscilloscope that does what it is supposed to be and has a lot of features.

Take a look at the reviews of EEVblog :

You got me sold and that EEVblog recommends it I trust that it's good
And the fact that it's 4 channel and can be hacked to 100Mhz and probably more features than I will ever need for those few times I will need a scope. I guess this will keep me covered for all my electronics hacks. And it's probably better to buy a good one right away than having to upgrade later.

Old 09-08-2019, 01:35 PM

Actually, if you have any question regarding this oscilloscope, feel free to ask me, as I already own one since +2 years, I will probably have the answer you're looking at =]
Old 09-09-2019, 05:27 AM

Today is a nice day because ... I received the DVB-T modulator

It is delivered with an EU plug type 12v/1A power supply.
And as I will be integrating it inside the car trunk, I opened the metal casing directly in order to take a look at the first ICs receiving the +12v.
This is to know if there is some voltage regulator that can handle up to 15/16v (car supply) ... instead of the arriving +12v.

I faced an IC branded "XT7IB" which I couldn't find any useful informations Googling around unfortunately
I will try to dig a little bit more on that ****1n6 IC in the upcoming hours.

Anyway, here are some pictures of the damn DVB-T MODULATOR branded "STV EnModer EMB117" thing and its menus :
+ Insides of the beast !
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqXzm51su7JA8xgN...aTJ05?e=Tnt6BA

Last edited by simkard; 09-09-2019 at 05:33 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:57 AM

Quote:

And as I will be integrating it inside the car trunk, I opened the metal casing directly in order to take a look at the first ICs receiving the +12v.
This is to know if there is some voltage regulator that can handle up to 15/16v (car supply) ... instead of the arriving +12v.

I faced an IC branded "XT7IB" which I couldn't find any useful informations Googling around unfortunately

Anyway, here are some pictures of the damn DVB-T MODULATOR branded "STV EnModer EMB117" thing and its menus :
+ Insides of the beast !
That's existing, you should at least be able to see if the picture and sound is receivable by the car tuner by broadcasting it with an areal before you have been able to make the proper adapters.

If you can't figure out if it can take up to 16V then maybe some voltage regulator can take care of that. Just to be on the safe side not frying it.

Old 09-09-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:

+ Insides of the beast !
Does it mean that this modulator can route the signal through the Video module antenna or so? Sorry that I missed the cennection writ-up here.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Does it mean that this modulator can route the signal through the Video module antenna or so? Sorry that I missed the cennection writ-up here.

The modulator should be able to broadcast with high enough signal. at least if you place the antenna on or next to the windscreen. That way the tv module would be able to pic up the signal the same way as if it were a normal tv station coming from a tower.

I did that with an analog modulator last year, although I wasn't able to recieve sound for some reason but that was a really janky setup.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
The modulator should be able to broadcast with high enough signal. at least if you place the antenna on or next to the windscreen. That way the tv module would be able to pic up the signal the same way as if it were a normal tv station coming from a tower.

I did that with an analog modulator last year, although I wasn't able to recieve sound for some reason but that was a really janky setup.

What is intended to run through the Modulator? A digital TV converted to analog, ir what?

Old 09-09-2019, 06:10 AM

I'll do the test without connecting it "materially" to the DVB-T tuner of the E65.

Anyway, I just don't know what are the frequencies that the E65 digital tuner receives (range ?).
If you have this information please tell me, I'll create a little tuned antenna (length specific copper wire) directly plugged into the modulator's output
Old 09-09-2019, 06:12 AM

Quote:
What is intended to run through the Modulator? A digital TV converted to analog, ir what?

Cimdahers : this modulator has a HDMI input and will encode the video/audio signals to some MPEG2 codecs.
Then, this is modulated accross DVB-T frequencies for the E65 digital TV Tuner to receive and decode back to the original signals.

Basically, this is to get an quality audio/video input in our good old E65
Old 09-09-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Cimdahers : this modulator has a HDMI input and will encode the video/audio signals to some MPEG2 codecs.

Then, this is modulated accross DVB-T frequencies for the E65 digital TV Tuner to receive and decode back to the original signals.

Basically, this is to get an quality audio/video input in our good old E65
Ok. I start to get it, I guess...
So it means that there should be another input signal from another device. This modulator converts the signal, but still the source as such remains independent, i mean without any control from the idrive. However, You can connect any video/audio source You like which has an HDMI ohtput, right?

Old 09-09-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Ok. I start to get it, I guess...
So it means that there should be another input signal from another device. This modulator converts the signal, but still the source as such remains independent, i mean without any control from the idrive. However, You can connect any video/audio source You like which has an HDMI ohtput, right?

Correct. And it should be able to just select the HDMI input within the idrive TV menu like this:

If it works as we hope

Old 09-09-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:

Anyway, I just don't know what are the frequencies that the E65 digital tuner receives (range ?).

If you have this information please tell me, I'll create a little tuned antenna (length specific copper wire) directly plugged into the modulator's output
I know I can recive these frequencies:

So most likely even more than those.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Correct. And it should be able to just select the HDMI input within the idrive TV menu like this:

If it works as we hope

Not bad, but if there would be such a digital tuner with modulator which could be controlled through the idrive, I'd love it. Otherwise, I run the TV through my android screen using cellular data.
Sorry, for showing incompetence, but isn't there a tuner which could receive all digital channels available and then capable of transmitting those signals of all the channels. So the e65 module could just receive it over standard antenna. Asking because in my country e65 module is useless since.introduction of mpeg4 stabdard for terrestrial TV. I guess the simple answer is that no portable device can retransmit all channels. That's my part of interest in this

Old 09-09-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Not bad, but if there would be such a digital tuner with modulator which could be controlled through the idrive, I'd love it. Otherwise, I run the TV through my android screen using cellular data.
Sorry, for showing incompetence, but isn't there a tuner which could receive all digital channels available and then capable of transmitting those signals of all the channels. So the e65 module could just receive it over standard antenna. Asking because in my country e65 module is useless since.introduction of mpeg4 stabdard for terrestrial TV. I guess the simple answer is that no portable device can retransmit all channels. That's my part of interest in this

Same problem for me in France.
For good and obvious reasons we went from DVB-T mostly based on MPEG2 codec TO DVB-T2 which is mostly based on MPEG4 / H264 codec.
This was mostly for having better compression ratio, but unfortunately, our good old E65 just has a DVB-T1 tuner which is limited to MPEG2 codec.
That is, it is even limited to poor DVB-T1 resolutions it seems.
For example : the DVB-T1 modulator I bought can only outputs 720p (and nothing less), and as the actual latest E65 digital tuner can only accepts 576i, maybe it will not work at all ... except if I have some luck here

On my side, I'll have a HDMI port routed into the glovebox or central compartment to connect my iPhone/iPad or anything else
Old 09-09-2019, 07:23 AM

Specs for transmission in sweden:

I think only UHF band is used for DVB-T1 transmission.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:

For example : the DVB-T1 modulator I bought can only outputs 720p (and nothing less), and as the actual latest E65 digital tuner can only accepts 576i, maybe it will not work at all ... except if I have some luck here
If I understood the sales representative correctly: if your input material is 576i/p your output will be the same(I hope)

Or maybe our receivers are capable of down scaling the 720p signal hopefully.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:33 AM

Hehehehe ... I managed to get it working on my Samsung TV after some material connection between the RF output of the modulator and the Antenna In of the TV.
Seems like signal is really low and RF is not powerful enough to transmit far away from the modulator which can be interpreted as :
PROS : it will not transform my E65 into a driving grill and kill my brain
CONS : for testing purposes, I'll have to find which antenna port on the digital tuner is the Antenna In and make a material connection to it (at least a simple wire is enough it seems ).

Anyway, audio was nice, video too : I used an official Apple Lightning>HDMI adapter on my iPad playing Amazon Prime Video ... looked perfectly fine !
Configured channel name is showing up on TV, so let's assume it will be the same on E65 digital tuner.

But ... video quality was 720p and there is no way to change that in the modulator settings it seems.

I'll maybe try today on my car if I have the time to.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search