NBT retrofit with LCI screen - Pre-LCI F12 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - 2018)

F12 / F13 (2012 - 2018)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 04-04-2019, 11:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F12 650i
NBT retrofit with LCI screen - Pre-LCI F12

Hi gang,

So after my stint with the android screen replacement, and the subsequent discovery that (a) it was not suited to the convertible owing to extreme glare and (b) I managed to crack my original iDrive screen, I decided to embark on an NBT retrofit. My insurance is kind enough to pick up the tab since I put the claim through them and the NBT retrofit costs half of what just a replacement CIC screen costs.

Why NBT and not EVO? This was a tough decision, but ultimately I chose to go with NBT since EVO would mean losing my HUD. There would also be some issues with regards to the screen since a modified F15 screen would be supplied. The NBT kit would allow me to retain the HUD, but I was unhappy with being supplied the older-looking display (plastic frames with no glass). Bimmer Retrofit were unable to source an LCI display (they didn't even know you got those). Here's a rundown of the screens:

Notice how the NBT EVO screen shape is just slightly different. Either way, even when comparing these to, say, an X5's NBT display it's clear that no other model's display would fit given how wide the original CIC display trim was designed to be. The mounting is also different to most every other BMW (two screws on the bottom, two screws on the back plate and two screws along the top)

So, I managed to find a supplier who sells the glass LCI screens brand new, and mine arrived today. US$299 is a steal:

I hooked it up to our F15 X5 to make sure it works, and it does. 100%.

I'll keep this thread updated with the retrofit progress. LINK to display supplier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2019, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: X3 28i
Wow, $299. I thought I got a great deal when I found a new LCI non-glass screen for $1,000.
So is that screen a direct swap for the LCI screen without glass, like in my 2015? Physically it's a direct swap - same plug connector - but is all functionality maintained? Anyway, I'm most interested to hear you report back on the glare in a convertible with a glass screen. I sat in a new 8 series convert with the top down on the showroom floor a couple days ago but could not get a good idea because it still had the plastic protector on it. But it sure seemed reflective.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:34 PM
Michael

Mein Auto: BMW 640i SE Convertible
It will be interesting to see how you progress. BMW updated the Connected drive in 2017 which also included the screen etc. In my ignorance I would have thought this would have been a better uplift or am I missing something here???

Always said I would go back to a 6 series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardney View Post
Wow, $299. I thought I got a great deal when I found a new LCI non-glass screen for $1,000.
So is that screen a direct swap for the LCI screen without glass, like in my 2015? Physically it's a direct swap - same plug connector - but is all functionality maintained? Anyway, I'm most interested to hear you report back on the glare in a convertible with a glass screen. I sat in a new 8 series convert with the top down on the showroom floor a couple days ago but could not get a good idea because it still had the plastic protector on it. But it sure seemed reflective.
You'll likely need a new backing cover as well but it's only another $80. The screen has a factory anti-glare coating on it so it should do well. Our x5 has a pano roof and if that's anything to go by the glass screens cope with glare very well indeed. Regards the price, yeah, I don't know how they manage this price considering what it costs from BMW but hey... I'm not complaining.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 645/333 View Post
It will be interesting to see how you progress. BMW updated the Connected drive in 2017 which also included the screen etc. In my ignorance I would have thought this would have been a better uplift or am I missing something here???
If I had an LCI 6er then yeah, I would've gone up to NBT EVO since there would be no functionality loss and the retrofit would be simpler. However on a pre-lci 6er the NBT retrofit is already rather involved, and only supports the HUD functionality on two hardware variations of the NBT HU. Adding EVO would've lost my HUD and added complexity to the install.

Connected drive is also zero consideration for me since you need a working TCB (nbt) or ATM (Evo) for those services to work. This adds to the cost and then there's the issue of finding the hardware from a 6er and getting BMW to transfer the services to NZ.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:17 PM

Mein Auto:
Help

Hello, I have BMW F06 640xi GrandCoupe from 2015, I purchased a new display from EBay, it says KYOCERA display corporation and as seller said it is OEM. I am a little bit confuse, because I have that old display and I wanted to just change it to the newer one, which would look nicer, but when I plugged in the connector I get "NO SIGNAL" message in orange letters. How can I fix it?
Old 12-18-2019, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolishniy View Post
Hello, I have BMW F06 640xi GrandCoupe from 2015, I purchased a new display from EBay, it says KYOCERA display corporation and as seller said it is OEM. I am a little bit confuse, because I have that old display and I wanted to just change it to the newer one, which would look nicer, but when I plugged in the connector I get "NO SIGNAL" message in orange letters. How can I fix it?
Hi there. The 3 different display types are not interchangeable. Even if the connectors look the same they use different voltages and also display protocols. You may be able to use an NBT display with EVO but you need a voltage converter. NBT and EVO screens cannot be used with CIC at all.

The Kyocera displays are intended for NBT Evo and since your car is a 2014 model year it likely has NBT unless it was built earlier and registered in 2014 only. In this case you would have CIC. I am not aware of any way to use an EVO screen on earlier iDrive versions.

Last edited by hugo_za; 12-18-2019 at 01:12 AM.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:23 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: BMW 640i SE Convertible
It is exceedingly rare to be able to upgrade anything on a BMW model without some form of hardware software updates along with what you want to install. People who have undertaken these tasks have generally done lots of research and have high levels of competency, this is particularly so with the communication/entertainment system.

Always said I would go back to a 6 series

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - 2018)
Today's Posts Search