Harness question - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 01-07-2020, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E36
Harness question

Hello, I'm currently in the middle of installing some things in the interior and I have a question regards racing harnesses.

I would like to confirm if they are properly installed.

For the door side I attached an M10 30mm eye bolt instead of the M10 torx bolt which holds the seat belt anchor in place because I couldn't use the stock seat belt location due to having a roll car which leaves me with no space for the eye bolt and for the middle side I drilled a hole in the transmission tunnel and attached 4MM thick washers on both sides.

Opinions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2020, 06:41 PM
D'oh, You Kids!

Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x3,E30x2, F150
Welcome to Bimmerfest!

I'm no tech inspector, but I'm not sure that would pass tech if you ever intend on racing/autocrossing that car. Is the eyebolt a welded shut one, or just bent double? And the metal of the floor pan and transmission tunnel isn't heavy enough to anchor a seat belt unless you use some really large diameter fender washers.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot
Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, Bimmerfest Site Moderator
BMW-CCA #441426

1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"

Old 01-07-2020, 09:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
No way that inboard eye bolt passes any legitimate tech inspection. At a minimum just from the photo it's cross section is way too small, and as Ken stated if it's just a formed eyebolt without the loop being closed with a weld or similar it won't hold. Also looking at your cage mount in the one photo, hopefully that's an installation in process because it won't pass tech with any missing fasteners.

This is what happens when you don't have your harnesses properly anchored, or you don't have proper harnesses.

Advertisement

Old 01-08-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
No way that inboard eye bolt passes any legitimate tech inspection. At a minimum just from the photo it's cross section is way too small, and as Ken stated if it's just a formed eyebolt without the loop being closed with a weld or similar it won't hold. Also looking at your cage mount in the one photo, hopefully that's an installation in process because it won't pass tech with any missing fasteners.

This is what happens when you don't have your harnesses properly anchored, or you don't have proper harnesses.

So what do you suggest that I need to do? and yes I know about the fasteners of the roll cage I still need to bolt it

Thanks
Old 01-08-2020, 07:25 PM

Use a purpose made racing harness eye bolt like one of these.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/v...BoC5soQAvD_BwE
Old 01-09-2020, 11:16 AM
Come at ///M3

Send a message via AIM to jayjaya29
Mein Auto: 95 M3
And a backing plate like this:

https://www.evasivemotorsports.com/s...rcement-plate/
Old 01-09-2020, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 88 M3x2 86 330i 4 e36's
Malta being very close to Italy, I'd contact OMP they are in your backyard.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjaya29 View Post
I have like those but I bought different ones which are also a grade 8.8 and not a split loop and the reason for changing them was because the right side mounting point (where the seat belt anchor bar takes place) has a 10mm thread hole and the eye bolts that came with the harness were something around 11mm thread but now if I change the location I'm going to switch back to FIA approved eye bolts.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
So you weld that plate to the floor board and mount the eye bolt to it but do you add another plate directly under the floor board to sand which them?
Old 01-10-2020, 01:55 PM
Come at ///M3

Send a message via AIM to jayjaya29
Mein Auto: 95 M3
Those plates can simply be held in place by the eyebolt under the floor board. No welding required. Its essentially just a really large washer attached to the nut.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Those plates can simply be held in place by the eyebolt under the floor board. No welding required. Its essentially just a really large washer attached to the nut.
Can you please tell me the procedure of how to install it? because I don't understand how it can hold without welding.
Also do I have to change both the current locations of the eye bolts? or can I still use the same mounting points as in the pictures?
Old 01-11-2020, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatndrift View Post
Can you please tell me the procedure of how to install it? because I don't understand how it can hold without welding.
Also do I have to change both the current locations of the eye bolts? or can I still use the same mounting points as in the pictures?
The plate and nut go under the car. You thread the eyebolt into and the floorboard is sandwiched between the two. You can use duct tape to hold the plate in place temporarily while you get the eyebolt threaded into it. Otherwise need two people, one underneath the car and one on the inside.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
The plate and nut go under the car. You thread the eyebolt into and the floorboard is sandwiched between the two. You can use duct tape to hold the plate in place temporarily while you get the eyebolt threaded into it. Otherwise need two people, one underneath the car and one on the inside.
Thank you very well explained !

So now I'll just have to change the eye bolt locations, they looked cleaner in the current position but oh well.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search