BMW memory climate control and settings - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series

3 Series & 4 Series
The BMW 3 Series and 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 08-25-2004, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto:
BMW memory climate control and settings

Hi,

My friend tells that the key contains memory setting like seat positions, mirror positions and the desired temperature (climate control) in the car. Is the last part (automatic climate control) true.?

Just say my desired temperature is 65 F and the outside temperature is like 80 F and after 4-6 hours, the inside temperature will be like 90 F or something like that.

Just say, from my work place(100 metres from car) I unlock the car, will the temperature go to 65 F after some time? Will the AC be running? Wont it drain the battery? What will happen say I have to stay at work for more time than I anticipated? Will the car shut down AC and lock itself after a while?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2004, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vimal
Hi,

My friend tells that the key contains memory setting like seat positions, mirror positions and the desired temperature (climate control) in the car. Is the last part (automatic climate control) true.?

Just say my desired temperature is 65 F and the outside temperature is like 80 F and after 4-6 hours, the inside temperature will be like 90 F or something like that.

Just say, from my work place(100 metres from car) I unlock the car, will the temperature go to 65 F after some time? Will the AC be running? Wont it drain the battery? What will happen say I have to stay at work for more time than I anticipated? Will the car shut down AC and lock itself after a while?

Unlocking the car doors does not turn on the automatic climate control system. If you want to heat/cool the car from your office you would have to install a remote starter.

The memory settings simply allow two different drivers the option to have separate climate control settings. If you like it at 65F and the second driver likes it at 78F the system can remember these settings assuming you are both using different keys.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto:
A little different and I forget how, but on our 528iT, I think you could somehow turn the heater or the A/C on to keep the car warm or cool after parking it (it only works for a while). I might be wrong about the cooling part. I think you hit a button the climate control. Can't remember the details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2004, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hou330izhp
Unlocking the car doors does not turn on the automatic climate control system. If you want to heat/cool the car from your office you would have to install a remote starter.

The memory settings simply allow two different drivers the option to have separate climate control settings. If you like it at 65F and the second driver likes it at 78F the system can remember these settings assuming you are both using different keys.

So when you remote unlock, only the setting of climate control goes to 65F.
Only when the engine is turned on, the AC really works to set the temperatur to 65F. Till then it's like 80F or 90F. Is my understanding correct?
Old 08-25-2004, 02:13 PM
self-effacing bmw owner

Mein Auto: '15 F31 328d
Quote:
So when you remote unlock, only the setting of climate control goes to 65F.
i don't think so. i think you have to actually put the key in the ignition and start the car (or at least turn it to position 2) for the custom settings to be read. i could be wrong though. otherwise, the car works like every other car - the heater and A/C work when the car is on. nothing magical about it, sorry.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkus
i don't think so. i think you have to actually put the key in the ignition and start the car (or at least turn it to position 2) for the custom settings to be read. i could be wrong though. otherwise, the car works like every other car - the heater and A/C work when the car is on. nothing magical about it, sorry.
huh Thats bad.

I can't understand why a luxury car like BMW does not come up with remote start? Am I missing something?
Old 08-25-2004, 02:48 PM
self-effacing bmw owner

Quote:
huh Thats bad.
what's so bad about it? what exactly do you need your car to do?

Quote:
I can't understand why a luxury car like BMW does not come up with remote start? Am I missing something?
yeah. the 3 is not a luxury car. it's a sporty, practical compact/mid-size car with a touch of luxury. if you go to Germany, these cars are the equivalent of a Honda Accord. they are used as taxis and have manual climate controls, no moonroof or heated seats, even crank windows. they are practical driving machines, not limosines. it's only because of decadent American tastes that they come to this country with power everything, leather, etc. etc... a lot of the 3's in Europe, Australia, etc. don't even have 6 cylinder engines. same for Benzes - here we have E500's with V8's. over there they have S320's with V6's.

if you want more pure luxury, get something like a Lexus, or move up to a 5 or 7 series.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
what's so bad about it? what exactly do you need your car to do?

yeah. the 3 is not a luxury car. it's a sporty, practical compact/mid-size car with a touch of luxury. if you go to Germany, these cars are the equivalent of a Honda Accord. they are used as taxis and have manual climate controls, no moonroof or heated seats, even crank windows. they are practical driving machines, not limosines. it's only because of decadent American tastes that they come to this country with power everything, leather, etc. etc... a lot of the 3's in Europe, Australia, etc. don't even have 6 cylinder engines. same for Benzes - here we have E500's with V8's. over there they have S320's with V6's.

if you want more pure luxury, get something like a Lexus, or move up to a 5 or 7 series.
Yeah, you are right. When I went to Austria, I saw so many BMWs and Mercedes Taxis.
I guess for 35K you can't expect more.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:03 PM
self-effacing bmw owner

Quote:
I guess for 35K you can't expect more.
well, you could get a loaded Infiniti G35 or Acura TL perhaps, but i don't think they have remote start either, and the 3 actually has some thoughtful touches here and there that they lack. to my knowledge only cars like the high-end Lexuses, MB's, Audis, etc. have that sort of feature.... e.g. stuff well > $50k.

in terms of features and equipment, i don't think the value proposition of a 3-series is that great... they started tacking on more standard features now that we're nearing the end of E46 production, but still stuff that's standard on other cars (leather, power seats, etc.) cost a pretty penny. then if you opt for a 330i or 330xi, which are still not as powerful as a TL or G35, then the price really starts to take off. my friend wound up with a G35x for this very reason, just didn't see enough value from BMW.

i stuck with a basic 325i, which still has pretty much everything i need, and got it for $29k. considering i still get the BMW engine, chassis, suspension, and driving experience, i think that's a bargain. the Premium and Sport Packages are definitely nice if you can afford them though.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
well, you could get a loaded Infiniti G35 or Acura TL perhaps, but i don't think they have remote start either, and the 3 actually has some thoughtful touches here and there that they lack. to my knowledge only cars like the high-end Lexuses, MB's, Audis, etc. have that sort of feature.... e.g. stuff well > $50k.

in terms of features and equipment, i don't think the value proposition of a 3-series is that great... they started tacking on more standard features now that we're nearing the end of E46 production, but still stuff that's standard on other cars (leather, power seats, etc.) cost a pretty penny. then if you opt for a 330i or 330xi, which are still not as powerful as a TL or G35, then the price really starts to take off. my friend wound up with a G35x for this very reason, just didn't see enough value from BMW.

i stuck with a basic 325i, which still has pretty much everything i need, and got it for $29k. considering i still get the BMW engine, chassis, suspension, and driving experience, i think that's a bargain. the Premium and Sport Packages are definitely nice if you can afford them though.
Iam looking at 325i with manual, premium, cold weather and Navigation.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:31 PM
self-effacing bmw owner

Quote:
Iam looking at 325i with manual, premium, cold weather and Navigation.
hm... what are your reasons for choosing a 325i? my friend has the nav system in his 330xi and he thinks it sucks. the systems on the Japanese cars (Infiniti, Lexus, Acura) are much, much better. i think the 325i is the best in its class in terms of overall driving experience, but if i had to have a nav system (which i would have liked, but was willing to sacrifice), i would have probably gone for the Acura TSX, which has a fantastic nav with a huge screen, and also happens to have a great manual transmission as well. the engine is competitive with a 325i in terms of accelleration as well. handling is not in quite the same league, but it drives very well. the 3 does look a lot better though...
Old 08-25-2004, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto:
Two comments:

(1) The Chevy Malibu max, a low/mid price car is now using remote start as the center of its TV campaign, so it's not really a "luxury" feature anymore

(2) Japanese navigation systems are far better than non Japanese systems because they aren't anything new there. Navigating in Japan is utter hell (few street names, building numbers, etc.) so necessity caused people to buy them. They have been refined over many more generations than any non Japanese navigation equipment (they were popular there TEN years ago!). IIRC, something like 50%+ of Japanese new cars have nav systems these days. Some of the systems are so amazing, they'll knock your socks off!

Last edited by kurichan; 08-25-2004 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:12 PM
Empowered Consumer

Mein Auto: 1 - 4.20hp, 1 - 420hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan
Two comments:

(1) The Chevy Malibu max, a low/mid price car is now using remote start as the center of it's TV campaign, so it's not really a "luxury" feature anymore
Cold weather, hot weather, inclement weather, whatever, it's never bothered me that I have had to actually be in the car using the key in order to start it.

Alex
Old 08-25-2004, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
hm... what are your reasons for choosing a 325i? my friend has the nav system in his 330xi and he thinks it sucks. the systems on the Japanese cars (Infiniti, Lexus, Acura) are much, much better. i think the 325i is the best in its class in terms of overall driving experience, but if i had to have a nav system (which i would have liked, but was willing to sacrifice), i would have probably gone for the Acura TSX, which has a fantastic nav with a huge screen, and also happens to have a great manual transmission as well. the engine is competitive with a 325i in terms of accelleration as well. handling is not in quite the same league, but it drives very well. the 3 does look a lot better though...
I haven't seen any other Nav systems. So your input was useful. I was just thinking, when I sell the car ( I dont know why, but just in case) in future, most of the cars might have Nav as standard and I thought it might fetch some value. Maybe my thinking is stupid. It may be good to have but for $1800 might be not worth it.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahnBaum
Cold weather, hot weather, inclement weather, whatever, it's never bothered me that I have had to actually be in the car using the key in order to start it.

Alex
I guess there might be some advantage, but I can't think of one. Plus, the car would have to be a slushbox, so I could NEVER get the option.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
I haven't seen any other Nav systems. So your input was useful. I was just thinking, when I sell the car ( I dont know why, but just in case) in future, most of the cars might have Nav as standard and I thought it might fetch some value. Maybe my thinking is stupid. It may be good to have but for $1800 might be not worth it.
I read somewhere that the NAV system only retains 1/4 of its value for resale!!!!
Old 08-25-2004, 08:54 PM
self-effacing bmw owner

Quote:
if you don't need a nav system, don't get a nav system, especially one like BMW that is not very good. it'll be a total loss on resale as well, partly because the BMW system sucks, mostly because it's a relatively new technology that keeps getting better and cheaper every year. in a few years when you sell the car, nav will probably come standard on most cars in its class, and it'll cost a lot less as an option, so its value on your BMW will be minimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAR
I read somewhere that the NAV system only retains 1/4 of its value for resale!!!!
yeah, that sounds about right. buy it to use it, not as an investment.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:55 PM
self-effacing bmw owner

Quote:
(1) The Chevy Malibu max, a low/mid price car is now using remote start as the center of its TV campaign, so it's not really a "luxury" feature anymore
that's interesting... i think the Malibu Max is a weird exception though (it's a "unique" car). i can't think of any other cars under $40k that have it...
Old 08-25-2004, 10:30 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
that's interesting... i think the Malibu Max is a weird exception though (it's a "unique" car). i can't think of any other cars under $40k that have it...
Pretty sure it's a cheap option when you get an aftermarket alarm system too...
Old 08-25-2004, 10:33 PM
self-effacing bmw owner

Quote:
Pretty sure it's a cheap option when you get an aftermarket alarm system too...
that's true... you can do all kinds of trick things to your car aftermarket.
i'm trying to think what other cars have remote start as a factory option or standard equipment... the Lexus LS430 comes to mind but i might be wrong. maybe Audi A8?
Old 08-25-2004, 11:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW. 2004 330ci
[... a lot of the 3's in Europe, Australia, etc. don't even have 6 cylinder engines. same for Benzes - here we have E500's with V8's. over there they have S320's with V6's.

if you want more pure luxury, get something like a Lexus, or move up to a 5 or 7 series.[/QUOTE]

Not trying to be too pedantic but.......in Oz we have the entire range of three series apart from the "xi" models. Same goes for Mercedes-Benz. You can have an "S" in 320, 430 or 500. Just like the "E" range.

You know, we even have electricity now.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:32 PM
self-effacing bmw owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmizo
Not trying to be too pedantic but.......in Oz we have the entire range of three series apart from the "xi" models. Same goes for Mercedes-Benz. You can have an "S" in 320, 430 or 500. Just like the "E" range.

hehe didn't mean to say you guys didn't get the goodies either. it was more of a compliment actually - i think the smaller engine choices outside the US are indicative of a more frugal and rational sensibility. over here, bigger and more powerful is always better, to hell with conservation. no one here would buy a S320, and we all know how the 318i flopped. we don't use more then one half of the entire world's crude oil supply for nothing.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:36 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmizo
[... a lot of the 3's in Europe, Australia, etc. don't even have 6 cylinder engines. same for Benzes - here we have E500's with V8's. over there they have S320's with V6's.

Quote:

Hey, I thought Aussies were suppoed to take as good as they give

I think the point he was trying to make was that the BMW isn't necessarily a "luxury" car. It's only a relatively "luxury" car in the US, where only the top two models are sold. As it happens, Australia probably isn't the best example; there, a BMW is a super-premium, high-luxury "Euro" car for wealthy individuals (costing, as they do, several times more than a domestic product). Patriotic types tend to dislike them; there couldn't be more of a difference to (e.g.) Germany. The 318i and various compacts are sold in Oz as entry-level models for people to get on the ladder. (Australia also misses out on the 316i sedan/touring, which is no great loss, and almost all the diesels, which is.)

Without these entry-level cars, a new BMW would be quite unaffordable for even a moderately wealthy Australian, and with a franchised dealer network I guess some sort of volume is required to make it worthwhile.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW. 2004 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_thomas
Hey, I thought Aussies were suppoed to take as good as they give

I think the point he was trying to make was that the BMW isn't necessarily a "luxury" car. It's only a relatively "luxury" car in the US, where only the top two models are sold. As it happens, Australia probably isn't the best example; there, a BMW is a super-premium, high-luxury "Euro" car for wealthy individuals (costing, as they do, several times more than a domestic product). Patriotic types tend to dislike them; there couldn't be more of a difference to (e.g.) Germany. The 318i and various compacts are sold in Oz as entry-level models for people to get on the ladder. (Australia also misses out on the 316i sedan/touring, which is no great loss, and almost all the diesels, which is.)

Without these entry-level cars, a new BMW would be quite unaffordable for even a moderately wealthy Australian, and with a franchised dealer network I guess some sort of volume is required to make it worthwhile.
You're 100% correct. BMW is considered a luxury car down here. Just after luxury would come safety. I can testify to that as my wife totaled our brand new 523I back in 1998. 7 out of 8 airbags went off and my wife, two kids and dog all walked away without a scratch. Car was only 29 days old. Something people don't talk about too much in the forum is how safe these cars are.

BTW, we do sell the 316 sedan (not diesel though). And I do remember recently reading about the 335TD which is apparently going to be in the E90. Numbers looked pretty good.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:26 AM
Fomer Z Coupe Owner

Mein Auto: 01 325xit
Quote:
A little different and I forget how, but on our 528iT, I think you could somehow turn the heater or the A/C on to keep the car warm or cool after parking it (it only works for a while). I might be wrong about the cooling part. I think you hit a button the climate control. Can't remember the details.

I had an E34 540i and it had a timer that you could set to say 10 min before you go out to the car after work and it would blow the air out of the cabin and cycle in new air. I don't think it ran the a/c but I'm not sure. The problem was you had to set it everytime you wanted to use it and I forgot a lot. Not sure if it did any good I think opening the windowns via remote is better.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series
Today's Posts Search